• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spain Upon the Succession of Carlos V – March 4th 1838

Carlistflag-1.png

The new King wanted to radically change and rejuvenate his ailing Kingdom. Under the new banner of the Spanish nation the once mighty Empire would stretch across the world once more. Spain would again be a world superpower.

V2_6.gif

Yet the Kingdom Carlos ascended to in 1838 barely clung to its position as a Great Power. Spain was almost totally lacking in any form of industry. Whilst Britain’s industrial revolution was in full swing with France and Austria just beginning theirs Spain risked being left behind if she failed to revolutionise her economy. Meanwhile the new regime had the problem of lacking friends in Europe. France and Britain had both sent soldiers to fight the Carlists during the Revolution while the ideological allies of the Carlists (Prussia, Russia and Austria) had refused to embrace Spain as one of their own. Indeed by his coronation Carlos had already been rebuffed from his attempt to gain admittance to the Holy Alliance. The only real reason Spain was still considered a Great Power was its immense military strength. A large land army – a relic from 3 decades of near constant warfare in Spain and her colonies – and a huge but aged fleet made Spain the number 3 military power on earth behind only Britain and China.

V2_4.gif

Spain’s economy was even worse than her position amongst the Great Powers. The government had over £38,000 of debt with £32,000 owed to the United Kingdom. The money owed to the British was passed on from the previous regime and the British had insisted on hiking up the interest rate on that loan following Carlos’ victory. Yet the Spanish budget remained firmly in the red and Carlos was now being forced to borrow from whoever would lend to him (Spain secured credit from a mixture of her own people, Russia and a series of German states). Attempts to save Spain’s finances convinced the Carlist government to raise high taxes and place a 25% tariff on imported goods – this in turn was devastating the artisan class who found their production no longer profitable.

The financial issues of Spain had convinced the Carlist faction that something drastic had to be done to change the Spanish economy. Therefore they planned to secure a loan of around £4,000 with which they could invest in basic industry. Spain was a country abundant in iron ore, the Spanish mainland was one of Europe’s greatest centres of production of the ore whilst the Philippines also produced it in significant quantities. Spain also had some coal production, largely focussed in Galicia yet the price of coal was low due to increased production elsewhere in the world. At the same time the industrialising states in Austria, France, Britain and Russia (Russia had already began a massive program of industrial investment) were demanding huge quantities of steel and cement. Therefore the government decided that these two products should be supplied by Spain.

It was decided to invest the money in the Castile-Leon area and the Neuva Castile area. In Castile-Leon a steel mill would be constructed in Burgos and a cement factory in Salamanca whilst to the South Madrid would receive both a steel mill and a cement factory.

It took months before the plans were finalised and the loan was not secured until October. The Austrians had decided to provide the £4,000, hoping to both export coal to Spain and to benefit from the new production. Work on the factories would not begin until January. It seemed Spain’s economic future might lie in industry.

V2_3.gif

At court the Comunion Carlista was in total control. The ousted Partido Progresista remained legal but was ignored and weakened. At the same time the Partido Moderado – a powerful force during Ferdinand VII’s rule was left sidelined. The Comunion Carlista was heavily anti-capitalist and pro-church. Indeed the party was largely made up of aristocrats and clergy. The faction’s support for the industrial program in central Spain proved its intentions were not to hold back progress but to make sure progress was made in a way beneficial to Spain and not solely to Spain’s bourgeoisie.

V2_2.gif

As soon as he returned to power Carlos ripped up the 1812 Constitution that had been reinstated by the liberals during the Civil War. Despite some pressure from the Church Carlos had not banned slavery (something not even the liberals would do), both the Upper and Lower Houses of Spanish government were abolished as total power was centred around the King and his court, large congregations for political purposes were banned and the press was placed under the control of the state and the church. Interestingly Carlos did not ban Trades Unions; instead he placed them under state and church control. This again seemed to be an example of the Carlist belief that they were reinstituting absolutionism not for the benefit of a small elite but for the benefit of the Spanish people. These Trades Unions would try to secure adequate pay and conditions for Spain’s working lower classes whether they be in the new factories, in the iron mines of in the fields.

V2_MAP_SPA_183834_1-1.gif

Spain was now ready to go out into the world. To secure her place among the Great Powers, to create a new Empire, to save her economy and to bring pride back to a broken nation.

Last edited:
You know, if you keep writing like this and so prolifically, I'm going to have to give you another cookie.

Well, I won't be writing so often over the next couple of months but I hope to continue to write at the same standard. So hopefully I can get a third cookie. :D

Awesome; I love the Carlists, and will be following this.

Nicely written, it will be interesting to see how well a Carlist Spain will do.

cheers

Gotta love Carlists. I'm aboard.

Really enjoying this, Spain is one of my favorite countries to play in Vicki, but I'm not very familiar with the history behind it.

Nice. Subscribed.

Nice to have the lot of you onboard. I hope you continue to read and continue to comment. :)

I want you to conquer the lost lands... :cool:

The BB from taking back American territory would be huge. :eek: For example annexing Uruguay gives the exact same BB as annexing China. :eek:

I of course do not plan to annex China. ;)

I do make it my mission to try to SoI the entire former Empire though.

It sure would be nice to regain some land in the Americas, but it would probably make more sense to concentrate on the Africa and the Far East.

My thoughts exactly. The New Empire shall be to the South and to the East.

Ouch. That looks really bad.

Amazing updates, looking forward to more.

Spain 1838-1843

During the first years of his reign Carlos’ Kingdom struggled with economic hardship and political uncertainty as the Kingdom tried to turn around both its economic and political decline.

V2_5.gif

Things did not start out well for Spain. Whilst at the same time the government wrangled with its creditors in hopes of gaining the capital to begin its industrial campaign Catalonia was blighted by famine. Five years of unbroken warfare in the territory had ravished the fields and left thousands displaced. Many had left the region altogether (seeking a better life either abroad or elsewhere within Spain) whilst many more had moved to Barcelona. With the capital awash with unemployed and with tenuous food supplies the failure of the harvest in 1838 hit hard.

blight2.gif

Carlos had called for government assistance to be sent to Catalonia but the reach of the new government was short and ineffective. Out of a total population of around 1.3 million people 30,000 Catalonians (almost entirely the unemployed of Barcelona) died whilst a further 90,000 left the region altogether. The beleaguered region’s troubles would only really come to an end in the Spring of 1839 when Catalonia’s harvest provided food and a government tax on food production elsewhere provided relief.

PreliminaryTreatyOfParisPainting.jpg

On the political seen September 17th 1838 marked a watershed moment in Spain’s 19th century history and is commonly seen as the moment when the 2nd Spanish Empire began. In order to make up for the loss of her American Empire the Carlist government proposed that Spain should secure a ‘sphere of influence’ over which she could exert total economic and political dominance. On September 17th, after months of wrangling, Spain and Portugal signed the Madrid Pact. The Pact created a military alliance between the two nations as both promised to support one another’s colonial ambitions but more important it created a single market. At the time Spain had a 30% tariff and Portugal a 25% tariff on important goods so by knocking down these barriers the two economic could become much more intertwined. Naturally this single market greatly favoured the Spanish as Spain’s economy could easily dominate Portugal’s. Carlos saw the Madrid Pact as the ideal way to restore Spain’s status as a world power and was dedicated to expanding it.

3973_main.jpg

It did not take long for the Pact to be put into action as after less than one year Spain went to war alongside their Portuguese allies. The war began in August 1839 after the long running dispute between Portugal and the Netherlands in the East Indies erupted into conflict. A Dutch warship fired upon Portuguese trading vessels and within days Portugal had declared war. Both the Dutch and Portuguese quickly looked to their larger backers for support as Spain jumped in on Portugal’s side and Russia on that of the Dutch.

V2_10.gif

The short Timor War was a largely bloodless affair and aside from some skirmishes between Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch forces in the East Indies the war was mostly fought on Iberia’s Western shore. The Dutch and Russians had hoped to force defeat on the Iberians by blockade their ports. Whilst the Portuguese lacked the naval power to relieve their harbours on their own the Spanish unleashed the Armada Real to throw back the Madrid Pact’s enemies. The decisive Battle of the Gulf of Cadiz on October 25th essentially ended the war. The larger Armada Real sank half of the Russo-Dutch ships including two Man O’Wars. However the Spanish suffered heavy casualties amongst their smaller ships as 4 out of their 5 frigates were destroyed. Following Cadiz several more Dutch and Russian vessels were sunk along the Portuguese coast as they were forced to abandon their hopes of a blockade. On January 3rd the War was ended in a White Peace. Little had been accomplished but Spain had shown that she still possessed the power to face relatively strong opposition in battle. Perhaps the most important impact of the war was the destruction of so much of the Armada Real – the dire state of Spanish finances, at this stage Spain was still rapidly increasing her national debt, meant that the rebuilding of the lost frigates would be impossible. By delaying the reconstruction of her fleet Spain would leave herself in a strong position to quickly modernise her navy in later years.

V2_8.gif

The ever worsening state of Spain’s national finances, and the urgings of her creditors, had obliged Carlos to listen to the proposals of other factions of Spanish politics beyond the ruling Comunion Carlista. The unfavoured Partido Progresista publically unveiled a plan called Desamortisation which essentially called for powers and lands to be stripped from the Church and for the centralisation of the Spanish state. The plan was very popular amongst large sections of the Spanish populace yet Carlos V quickly shot it down. Debt continued to spiral and national unrest continued to bubble.

Bild8_75dpi_75261.jpg

Carlos had placed his hopes of economic revival in the program for industrialisation and in 1840 the first effects of the program came into being. Within two months steel mills were opened in Burgos and Madrid whilst cement factories opened in Madrid and Salamanca. Shortly afterwards the government took out a small loan (just a few hundred £s) and invested in the construction of a textile factory in Barcelona – the government felt that they needed to make a move of goodwill towards the Catalans whilst they also hoped to solve the unemployment crisis in Catalonia. Although the bourgeoisie were a largely oppressed class under the Comunion Carlista Spain’s capitalists did make serious investments in the economy. Around this time they began to invest in basic railroad infrastructure in the emerging industrial regions of central Spain whilst two new factories started their construction in the Summer of 1840. In Madrid the newly formed Castro Military Supplies Corporation (CMSC) started the construction of an artillery factory after securing a government contract, in Valladolid (Castile-Leon) a conglomeration of small businessmen banded together to begin the construction of a paper mill.

capitalism-2.jpg

Despite being such a small class the Spanish bourgeois continued to invest as in 1841 they began the construction of a canned food factory in Pamplona (Vasconia-Argaon), a furniture factory in La Caruna (Galicia) and a Winery in Murcia (Granada). The following year work would begin on a fertiliser factory in Valencia as Spain’s industry continued to boom.

In April 1842 Spain made another major step forward as the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies signed the Madrid Pact. The Kingdom was the largest and most populous in Italy and included the mainland South of Rome, Sicily itself and the Isle of Crete (recently captured from Egypt).

carlies.jpg

However a much more important step towards Spain return to the status of a world power had been taken on February 20th 1841. On that day Carlos V had in person travelled to the Spanish enclave at Melilla where he called upon the 33,000 men present to ‘’restore Spain her pride as a nation’’. The invasion of Morocco had begun.

battlesinmor.jpg

The superiority of Spanish arms was made clear for all to see as over the course of three major engagements with the Sultan’s army the entire Moroccan military was destroyed. By the end of September the war was, for all intense purposes, over. The Moroccan army was no more whilst both the capital, Fez, and the rich Northern coastline were already under occupation. Yet the war continued until March 1843 when Morocco was officially annexed into the Spanish Empire.

V2_MAP_SPA_1843311_2.gif

In Carlos’ first 5 years as King the seeds of Spain’s geo-political and economic recovery had been sown. At home the small scale industrialisation of Spain had contributed significantly to the economy as by 1843 the government was making a hefty profit each month. The new markets secured by the Madrid Pact in Portugal and the Two Sicilies had also given the new industrial goods, and Spain other major exports (most importantly tobacco) a good market for their sale. Politically Spain had once again secured dominance in Iberia whilst at the same time had expanded her influence in Africa and the East Indies by aligning herself with Portugal. The Sicilian allegiance provided even more tantalising opportunities as the centuries old Spanish links to Italy were renewed once more. Spain was now engaged in the politics a peninsula dominated by France and Austria. Perhaps as important as everything else was the capture of Morocco. In order to take the Sultanate Carlos had been forced to stand up to the world’s two greatest powers (France and Britain) and had secured a great moral boosting victory. Whilst Morocco provided only limited economic benefit its annexation was a sign to the world that Spain once again ruled a growing Empire.

Last edited:
Someone should make suggest into V2 a eu3 option, map of your vassals with in it. Was it not f12+shift? :p
Except here it would be your sphere.

Good. Hopefully Spain will be able to take France's historical place as the major power in North Africa.

This looks interesting. Spain seems to offer a good bit of potential, but not to the point where it's a complete walk in the park.

I look forward to the further growth of the New Spanish Empire and I'd like to see what kind of trouble the Liberals can stir up for you. :)

A Spanish AAR in this era should be very interesting. Good luck! Any plans to return to the Americas?

Someone should make suggest into V2 a eu3 option, map of your vassals with in it. Was it not f12+shift? :p
Except here it would be your sphere.

I totally agree. I will manually make a map with my sphere included at a later date (mabye one eveyr 10-20 years or something).

I must admit I would like to see you, at some point, take Portugal and Gibraltar. Iberia would look so nice united under one color.

Whilst I can't agree with you on the Portugal point I'm getting towards the late game. So mabye, if the planets align and I'm feeling ultra confident, I might make a play for Gibralter. But the odds are I simply won't.

Hopefully all those new factories will give the Spanish economy a significant boost.

They certainly shall. :)

Good. Hopefully Spain will be able to take France's historical place as the major power in North Africa.

We shall see. ;)

This looks interesting. Spain seems to offer a good bit of potential, but not to the point where it's a complete walk in the park.

I look forward to the further growth of the New Spanish Empire and I'd like to see what kind of trouble the Liberals can stir up for you. :)

That's why I chose it. I personally like it because it has a small Empire at game start with ports in Asia, Africa and the Americas. It is far from unmanageable and has enough people and provinces so that I'm never stumped what to do with my NFs but not so many that I desperately want more. Carlists are also a cool ahistorical route to go for, and naturally I love state capatalism

A Spanish AAR in this era should be very interesting. Good luck! Any plans to return to the Americas?

In the Americas I want a great Spanish SoI covering the old Empire. No territorial acquisitions. I'd rather spend my valuable badboy on more profitable exploits.

I'm just about to start a smaller update that will basically go roughly over what happened outside of Spain in the 1838-1843 period. we'll start and end with a map. :)

The Rest of the World – 1838-1843

V2_MAP_SPA_183834_1.gif

In 1838 the world was a changing place. France and Austria had begun the task of catching up with the British in the industrial revolution whilst the Russian government was attempting to forcibly wrench Russia into the modern world with a huge public spending program aimed at creating a formidable industrial base.

Germany

Austrian had started the Victorian era so very brightly. By 1841 they had the 3rd largest industrial base on earth (behind only France and Britain), comparable to the rest of Germany combined. With economic dominance came the funds for military expansion. This expansion program made Austria, at least theoretically, the dominant force in both Germany and Eastern Europe. All this success made the Austrians arrogant and when the Prussians began to interfere in Austria’s backyard by courting the Saxons they eagerly pushed a mild disagreement towards open war.

Bruderkreig.jpg

The Bruderkrieg of 1841 was a disaster the Austrians never quite recovered from. Despite enjoying a significant numerical advantage the large scale Austrian invasion of Silesia was not only beaten but was totally destroyed. With the cream of its standing army now killed or captured the Austrian reservists, mobilised almost one month after Prussia’s, proved ineffectual against the small but ultra elite Prussian army. It took just a few months for the Prussians to reach Vienna. Despite the urgings of his Chancellor the new King of Prussia, Frederick William IV, forced Austria to cede resource rich Moravia.

In the years after the war the Austrian economy went from enjoying growths rates twice that of their nearest European rivals to sluggish and at times negative industrial growth. At the same time Austria struggled to rebuild its lost military power and almost as important its lost prestige amongst the German states.

The Americas

During this period several key issues were settled on the North American continent. The Oregon territory was split down the middle with the North going to Britain and the South to Mexico. Thus denying America’s dream of access to the Pacific. In compensation Mexico agreed to wilfully abandon its claims to Oklahoma and Colorado which were quickly annexed into the USA.

Bataille_dIngavi.jpg

In South America war is the preferred method of mediation and between 1839 and 1842 Bolivia fought and defeated both Peru and Argentina. By defeating Peru Bolivia secured freedom from her previous masters in Lima and by defeating Argentina Bolivia gained some disputed border territory between the two countries.

East Asia

This period was filled with a surprisingly significant amount of conflict between the East Asian states. In Korea China’s traditional vassal attempted to break its ties to the Chinese Empire and move into the orbit of Japan and Russia. This move was responded to by a huge Chinese invasion and the annexation of the North of the country by China.

In South East Asia Burma and Annam banded together to crush Siam and conquer its Northern territories – effectively reducing it to its Malayan lands and the area around Bangkok. This move was in turn responded to by a Chinese invasion of Burma and the annexation of a large portion of the country.

China could feel its old influence fading away and was attempting to hang on to its authority in traditional areas of influence.

Central Asia

Russia’s expanding influence in Central Asia quickly drew the attentions of the British in India who looked to counter it with a diplomatic offensive of their own.

North Africa and the Ottoman Empire

Whilst Spain, like the Ottoman Empire, had been in decline for some years during this period it began to bounce back with limited industrial growth and revived international standing. The Ottoman Empire meanwhile continued its decline.

For many years the Sublime Porte had ruled over North Africa, if not directly it still held great influence in the region. However with the independence of Muhammad Ali’s Egypt Ottoman rule quickly collapsed. In 1830 the French established rule over the Algerian coast, in 1836 they forced they created a ‘puppet Sultanate’ that ruled the interior for France. Then in 1837 the French openly invaded and annexed Tunisia. Hoping to push back the decline of their authority the Turks restored order to the Libyan interior and began to gather influence in the Moroccan court. However any plans of regaining power in North Africa were ended by the Spanish invasion of Morocco (1841-1843).

Elsewhere foreign powers continued to pick away at the Empire. As the French and Russians squabbled over influence in the Balkans the Two Sicilies annexed Crete from Egypt. Indeed the Ottoman Empire was so weak that Muhammad Ali even considered an invasion (with the aim of annexing Libya and Iraq) however he was convinced to avoid a conflict by an angry reaction by the great powers.

Around this time the race to court Egypt began as French, Spanish, Ottoman and British interests collided over the powerful state.

V2_MAP_SPA_1843311_1.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.