+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Mod, A Couple US Fixes/Events

Second Lieutenant DeathFromBelow's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

My First Mod, A Couple US Fixes/Events

I was tired of seeing the US not claim Washington and northern Maine. I've put together a few simple events to fix these issues.

The first event simulates the Webster–Ashburton Treaty and gives the US northern Maine in 1842. The only requirement is that the US and UK not be at war. The other two events are for the Oregon territory dispute. As long as the US colonizes Oregon state the regular Oregon Treaty event will fire in 1846 and set the border at the 49th parallel (giving the US Washington state if it doesn't have it). If a US player has managed to colonize Oregon and eastern British Columbia the alternate 54'40 event will fire. This gives the player 2 choices, gain cores on British Columbia (and destroy US/UK relations) or accept the regular Oregon Treaty.

Now the US should end up with it's real-world borders under AI control and human players have a chance to claim Columbia.

Just put USAflavor.txt in Victoria 2/events

Edit: Tiny update, added a line to the Oregon Treaty events to make sure the US has actually colonized Oregon state as a condition for firing. I forgot to add it first time around because the US AI always colonizes Oregon state.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DeathFromBelow; 19-08-2010 at 03:22.

Good work. I thought it was odd/annoying that as the US I could never colonize Washington/Oregon before the UK/Mexico.

Corporal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bamilus View Post
    Good work. I thought it was odd/annoying that as the US I could never colonize Washington/Oregon before the UK/Mexico.
    Without this mod you have to start colonizing both states on day 1, with troops in one of the provinces to speed things up. You can beat Mexico in Oregon and the UK in Washington.

Still a good idea for a mod of course. The Maine/Canada border looks so wrong on the game with no way to fix things other than war.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a tutorial somewhere for writing national decisions? I'm thinking it would be better to make these decisions instead of events so the player isn't forced into things on hardcoded dates.

I'm also thinking about expanding the Webster–Ashburton Treaty by having two possible decisions. One to accept the historical treaty, perhaps requiring slightly positive relations with the UK. The second decision would be for the US to support the Canadian rebellion.

Using the Webster-Ashburton Treaty decision would give the US control/cores on Northern Maine, but disable the "Support the Canadian Rebellion" decision, representing the fact that the treaty resolved the Aroostook War and settled the issues that caused the Caroline affair.

Using the Support the Canadian Rebellion decision would disable the Webster-Ashburton treaty and start a war. The US would get a core on northern Maine (and maybe additional provinces). Winning the war would force the UK to liberate Canada and cede northern Maine/additional provinces to the US. Republican Canada would be like the other north American minors and eventually ask for US statehood.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
    Without this mod you have to start colonizing both states on day 1, with troops in one of the provinces to speed things up. You can beat Mexico in Oregon and the UK in Washington.

Still a good idea for a mod of course. The Maine/Canada border looks so wrong on the game with no way to fix things other than war.
    I forgot you could put troops in to speed up the process....good point. However, it still remains that this is a good mod and can prevent you from having to start a huge war with the UK just to get Washington

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourLead and Gold
    MagickaMajesty II CollectionSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

bump, gonna use this and see how it goes.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thank you. I posted something about this issue in the bug forum. I don't have enough knowledge to mod the game like you did. I hope this is included in the next patch.
    Last edited by Armandeus; 22-08-2010 at 05:25.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesPirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Blog Entries
    You should remove Canadian cores on Upper Maine to prevent getting DOW'd by an any UK after this event.

I'll have to give this a go, a more realistic USA for the AI would be great.

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Republic of Madawaska

I suppose you could try creating this as a third option to the Webster-Ashburton Treaty, with Caribou and Bathurst as the cores and removing the USA and British cores. Should someone conquer Madawaska, the US and Britain/Canada get their cores back. Signing the "Madawaska" option should greatly improve US/British relations while also counting as a truce
    Rich Goranson (Magister Stephan Calvert deGrey, OP)
    New Philadelphia, OH, USA (Marche of Alderford, Barony of Brendoken, Midrealm)

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Excellent ideas. I also think you should make an event for the Mexican concession if Mexico loses a war - although events are deterministic it's otherwise simply too hard to get them all the territory in one go. Balancing Mexico of course would comes under the purview of a different mod or minimod...
    Revanche, A French AAR of The Great War (1914-1919) (Finished, Weekly AAR Showcase, 9th Jan '06)

President Petrov Basil Ivanovich of Kraszakistan (KLD)

What if Germany had won the Great War? Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    EUIV: Art of War

Mind if I use your flavor event in a mod?
    EUIII: DW Mods
    Occultus Orbis Terrestre
    Ars Lingua

EUIV: AoW Mods
    [MOD] Occultus Orbis Terrestre for euIV - Idea only. The current OOT team is awesome.
    [MOD] A Canticle for Leibowitz

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy" - Max Weinreich - Meyer Lazarevich Veynreykh - "אַ שפּראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמיי און פֿלאָט"

Quote Originally Posted by MrTaxman View Post
    Mind if I use your flavor event in a mod?
    Not at all. Do whatever you want with it.

Did you implement any of the proposals you suggested in your second post?

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

should i replace the original usaflavors in the events folder? or create a usaflavors2? just dont want to mess anything up as i have no idea how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanxia View Post
    Did you implement any of the proposals you suggested in your second post?
    I've let this mod lapse because the Webster-Ashburton treaty issue was fixed in a patch and I haven't been playing V2 much lately.

I don't think I'll be doing anything with the Canadian rebellion idea. I realized that you can gain cores on territory in V2 just by owning the territory in question long enough. It doesn't really make sense to make it even easier for the US to blob into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Kaiser View Post
    should i replace the original usaflavors in the events folder? or create a usaflavors2? just dont want to mess anything up as i have no idea how to fix it.
    You would replace the original usaflavors.txt file with mine, but like I said, the main issue this mod addressed was fixed in an official patch.

When I have some free time I'll make sure the Oregon treaty events still work with the current version of V2 and I'll post an updated version of the mod.
    Last edited by DeathFromBelow; 16-01-2011 at 20:23.

The main issue I see your mod as fixing is the Oregon/Washington issue which is never ever resolved in vanilla.

I have to add the localization, but I have an alternate version of the Aroostook War. It's an event chain that can lead to great peace or a freaking world war. I'm considering tweaking it a bit more. AI England will always appoint a commission, and AI USA, should the player escalate, will give up. It goes something like this:

START
    ENG - fighting erupts in Maine and New Brunswick over a disputed border. Do you:
    1. Appoint a joint US-UK commission to end the dispute -- US gets Caribou, end chain
    2. Say "This land is OUR land" -- US continues event chain
    USA -- The English are being schmucks. Do you:
    1. Surrender your claim -- end chain
    2. Offer big $$$ -- ENG continues
    :ENG -- The Americans are trying to buy us out! Do you:
    :1. Accept -- US gets "pay up" event, Caribou transfers
    ::US -- time to pay the piper
    ::1. OK -- ENG gets 2000 pounds in-game currency
    ::2. Psych! --ENG gets "Cut down to size" CB
    :2. Decline -- back to US event without buyout option
    3. Throw down -- war breaks out

>>I hope you're not upset if/that I'm stealing your thread.

+ Reply to Thread