• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice victory.
I wonder for how long the British will protect the growing Belgian empire.
Now that he's a Great Power in his own right I imagine not for much longer. Playing as Belgium my alliance with the UK seemed to fade away a few years after I became a GP (not sure when - didn't get a message when it ended). I would advise building up defenses in the home country as once that alliance with the UK lapses he can expect some recurrent DoWs from the Dutch. A strong navy should ensure a lifeline of troops from the colonies but fortresses in Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges wouldn't be ideas either.

excellent! how amazing that the lion defeated the giant bear :)

It had some help from the other lion aswell. :)

Congratulations indeed! What does this mean for your markets though? You dropped out of the UKs sphere you dont have privaliged access to their markets and vice-versa, no?

Being in the British SoI was actually detrimental to me earlier when the Iron shortage hit as all my iron was heading to England instead of my own factories. Nevertheless I expect the markets will get a little crazy for the moment anyway as I've just modded all the unit support requirments(everthing eats ammunition, clothes and food and ships consume lumber and fabric or coal)

Now that he's a Great Power in his own right I imagine not for much longer. Playing as Belgium my alliance with the UK seemed to fade away a few years after I became a GP (not sure when - didn't get a message when it ended).

That annoyed me in my first game, it seems kind of like a bug so if my alliance suddenly dissapears and I don't get a message about it I'll force it back with a tag switch, but if the UK reneges or something I'll consider it acutally ended.

I would advise building up defenses in the home country as once that alliance with the UK lapses he can expect some recurrent DoWs from the Dutch. A strong navy should ensure a lifeline of troops from the colonies but fortresses in Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges wouldn't be ideas either.

Already somewhat forted up but i don't think I'll be getting DoWed by the Dutch, not only am I about four times stronger than them bow but they gave up their cores. If they are silly enough to do it though I bet I'll be getting some Carribean or Indonesian holdings. :)

Best V2 AAR at the moment:D

Well thanks for that but there are better and less ponderous writers than me in here, I just compensate with millions of screenshots and meagre photoshopping. :)

hmm, go grab some portuguese colonies?

Personally I quite like the Portuguese, also game/aar-wise they're fellow Catholics and they responded to Britains war call so it wouldn't be very nice of me.

By the way, the first full version of the SexiiColours mod i've been using is out, if anyone reading the AAR hasn't already checked it out now would be an excellent time.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486713

Already somewhat forted up but i don't think I'll be getting DoWed by the Dutch, not only am I about four times stronger than them bow but they gave up their cores. If they are silly enough to do it though I bet I'll be getting some Carribean or Indonesian holdings.
I'm not sure if the cores aspect will stop them from declaring war, as recently the Dutch have been trying to "assert hegemony" on me as opposed to taking land (because we share the same culture group). Needless to say it has turned out very badly for the Dutch, with them losing Java and Jambi (Sumatra) as well as most of their navy. I haven't been able to keep them out of the top 8 yet but am hoping that one more devastating war will finally cripple their ability to hang with the big boys.

This is very good. I especially liked the screen shots from Zulu - all I could think of was someone shouting 'Sing! Sing damn you!' :)

Just read through the AAR to this point and I'm impressed how far Belgium's come. I can't believe you declared war on Russia without having researched any military techs whatsoever.

Good work in beating them. Where will the little lion turn next?

I was going to post an update, but my images are randomly breaking, tiny pic is sending the wrong image for the link. So erm, that's that for now.

EDIT: Wasn't as widespread as I'd feared so I've managed to reuploaded the effected images. I hope it won't happen again.

Last edited:
yay my copy finally arrived,

just a quick post to encourage you :)

Can I see flags of even more Belgian protectorates?

Even more images have broken now, if you read back you might just see several pictures of movie posters or young women, and tiny pic doesn't even have a contact email or support ticket system. So you'll have to wait until I can either solve this issue or find a more reliable image host(which will be tough since I was lead to believe tinypic was the best there was) to see more Belgian protectorates unfortunately. :(

Even more images have broken now, if you read back you might just see several pictures of movie posters or young women, and tiny pic doesn't even have a contact email or support ticket system. So you'll have to wait until I can either solve this issue or find a more reliable image host(which will be tough since I was lead to believe tinypic was the best there was) to see more Belgian protectorates unfortunately. :(

I'm having the same issue right now - but do check the album view rather than the view straight after you upload. The album view appears fine even when the other image doesn't. No idea what's going on and as you say TinyPic are one of the best.

Oh and since I haven't mentioned it keep up the good work - I've been following for a while and I'm really enjoying this.

Also, I actually have a plan to get rid of the Russian autocracy forever. . .

1) Restore Afghanistan and put it in your SoI
2) Get rid of Spain (Russia's ally) by seizing Galicia, Asturias, and the Philippines, then give them all independence
3) Seize Finland, Poland, Estonia, Karelia, and Poland afterwards.

I'm having the same issue right now

Just got an email saying they've fixed it(their contact address is buried in the about page) so should be carrying on soon! :)

It looks like all the links point to the right thing now but they said I may have to reupload some, so if any readers find any out of place pictures please point them out.

Also, I actually have a plan to get rid of the Russian autocracy forever. . .

1) Restore Afghanistan and put it in your SoI
2) Get rid of Spain (Russia's ally) by seizing Galicia, Asturias, and the Philippines, then give them all independence
3) Seize Finland, Poland, Estonia, Karelia, and Poland afterwards.

I was thinking of doing number 1 when the truce expired. Spain is already not Russia's ally have responded to the UK's call for war. Number 3 might be a bit ambitious.

Last edited:
Everyone likes Walloons: Chapter 13

Previous Episode: Chapter Twelve

Chapter 13: The Calm Before

With our victory in India secured I am delighted to be able to return to domestic matters, particulary those of our 'great engine' the vast Industrial heart of the nation. Almost exactly three years ago we began a campaign to attract works from the fields and mines and into factories, it appears to have paid off with thousands of new craftsmen;

21llnyp.jpg

If the number of workers continues to increase it won't be too long before our factories in Flanders are full to the brim so I am spending the last days of May in the Ministry of Industry heading up a new expansion phase of Belgian industry. Firstly expanding a factory is shorter than constructing entirely new works so we start by growing the textile mills;

288z0og.jpg

We will of course eventually require entirely new produce to sell, and speaking of textiles and fabrics the Ministry of Trade informs us of the growing demand for items of clothing.

11qn56p.jpg

Increasing wealth of europe's citizenry and the demands for uniforms to decorate one's soldiers seems to have lead to this boom and I would have Belgium meet it;

1t4vix.jpg

These regular clothes will provide for our citizens and soldiery, and for our more well off citizens and elite soldiers, officers and cavalry we will not leave lacking.

akbhh3.jpg

One day every Belgian and protected people will be able to litterally wear their pride in the homeland. Until then though there is much to do however, as we cannot leave the strategic heart of Belgium behind and so we will shift out factory working scheme over to Wallon while Flanders expands;

28sshhf.jpg

As we leave the victorious month of May and enter June there is little left to do for now, my schemes must be left to come to fruition on there own and so the only relief from the day-to-day will come from international affairs. It is not long until their news arrives;

2a76i3s.jpg

The Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedemonte, currently chief among the Italian states, has adopted a new constitution. And a month later war breaks out in the east;

20idwqw.jpg

On the 24th of August Russia, perhaps seeking to restore their wounded pride, demands the region of Ostpreußen and Prussia understandably refuses. We shall have to watch events here carefully, Prussia, especially together with it's little Germanic allies, should prove a match for the Tsar's conscripts but it pays to be careful. And as part of being careful I authorise some substantial financial aid and beneficial industrial contracts to help the Germans' defence;

14t7ckn.jpg

Only a couple of days later however we can return to good news at home;

ra9eok.jpg

The first section of our expanded and standardised railroads have been completed around the capital. Bruges will be completed within the week and in another three or four months the whole nationwide project should be done. The King is great lover of railroads and like any great leader wishes to share his passions with all of his subjects, so has his governors begin similar projects abroad.

244z0id.jpg

With India being the largest and most productive of our possesions the first colonial railways begin to set up there. But it is not long before we are distracted by Russia again;

28aq1vq.jpg

On the 11th of October Emperor Nicholas proclaims his realm the defender of Christianity, a devious lie if ever there was one, he cares nothing for people of the faith but merely wishes to expand his power and rule.

Considering the expansion of power I am very perturbed by the news brought to us on October the 24th.

15x7qmf.jpg

We have enjoyed friendly relations with our neighbours to the south for all our years, Her Majesty Queen Louise is daughter to the King of France afterall. However as much as it might pain His Majesty to make an enemy of his Father-In-Law, King Louis Philippe, he is clearly the agressor in this case and has attacked Belgium's greatest ally. Headed also by His Majesties family, having fought for our independence and joined our cause against Russia to refuse Britains call would not only be highly dishonorable, but downright treacherous.

His Majesty declares war on the Kingdom of France the following day.

The World: October 1848

(OOC Note: You can see SC: Imperium Cultum's new colours here as there've been no territorial changes since the last map. Only changes I've made to the mod are to keep Belgium grey
and the Ottomans green. I've also left the Austrians as their default light grey and made Siam red as otherwise they don't actually show up on the map due to their new white.

Next Episode: Chapter 14: The Inclement Weather Before

Last edited: