• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Three Hurrah for newborn the Belgian Empire !
And yes, the Boers republics could be interesting targets for expansion. :D

I'd love to take the Boer Republics and see "Belgian South Africa" on the map, unfortunately the Boers are civilised and I'd be afraid of the infamy incase I became a GP. Also it's a tad hard to swing given the characters set up. I do however have another direction in mind. :)

I see. Maybe you could include them in your Sphere ?

Everyone likes Walloons: Chapter 8

Previous Episode: Chapter Seven: Zulu

Chapter 8: The Belgian Empire

At once as the news of the capture of Zulu reached us we sprang into action, and by sprang into action I mean of course that we convened a meeting at the Palace. His Majesty was at this moment the direct ruler of over half a million people, around a hundred and fifty thousand working men, in Africa and he was eager to know as much as he could about his new subjects;

mai3k7.jpg

Compliations of the scouting and other reports of the army, as well as information provided by a few soldiers that had decided to muster out and settle there gave us a good picture. Along with the Zulu peoples we had also come to rule over a minority of "Xhosa" peoples and almost all, Zulu or Xhosa, tended sheep or crops. When His Majesty had satisfied his curiosity he ordered the land be organised into the Protectorate of Natal, named so as the purpose of the Protectorate, aswell as to further Belgium, is to bring civilisation and proper faith to the peoples there, and Natal(meaning Christmas in Portuguese) was the name first given to the land by civilised men. Camille Dethier would be appointed as the King's Governor-General.

23m3laf.jpg

- Flag of the Belgian Protectorate of Natal

I was most delighted to see that man rise to such a prestigous position, his long and competant service made him most deserving. I am also delighted to learn that no sooner has he learnt of his position that he rose to it without delay;

4lm7x4.jpg

Ordering the construction of proper ports along the small Belgian section of African coast would one day make us the envy of the continent no doubt. They would make a great help in shipping African goods to Europe, and Belgian rule to Africa and maybe beyond. Maybe other powers would like to use them and we could charge tarriffs, that would be nice. Dethier even ordered proper fortifications made in the mountains of Ladysmith to bringer greater control over a region that could harbour rebels and that provides our needed grains.

As the work in Natal got seriously underway, October of 1842 brought more news out of St. Petersburg;

10718it.jpg

Tsar Nicholas was still expanding his way through Asia and was now in serious danger of conflicting with British interests in India. Combined with Russian efforts to win influence in the Netherlands(The two had already signed an alliance), the British were beggining to see this as a direct attack on their global influence and something would have to be done.

It was not long before King Leopold received correspondence from his niece, Queen Victoria. Her government and advisors were of the opinion that the estbalishment of another european power in the area, to a much greater extent than the tiny trading posts of Goa and Pondicherry, would quell the ambitions of the Russian Emperor, or atleast give him pause, especially if that power was friendly to British interests. Belgium is the foremost such power in the world, even if not a great one, and as such we are implored to make a presense in India. Much better that the people there be guided by lovers of liberty such as ourselves than the autocratic Russians. How could my King and country refuse?

We surveyed the area in question;

24entjl.jpg

Our primary objective would be to cut the Russians off from the Indian ocean and the rich trade routes of the area. To do so we need to bring under our protection the small uncivilised nation of Makrat, who held the coastal province of Bela. For good measure we would also want to similarly bring in the Amirate of Sindh. Unless the Russians were prepared to bring war in Europe to gain access to the oceans there, they would have to fight the ancient Perisan Empire or take a trip all the away around and face off against China, which I imagine would not be an attractive prospect. Incidently, taking these lands that produces, fruits and teas and cereals would do a great deal of good for our trade balance;

n3vwo9.jpg

Preparations begin, we send a message down to Natal and order the expeditionary force make ready. As we are doing so, in November the British begin their own actions to rescue Panjab from the Tsar;

ygyuo.jpg

It is soon after that I am brought back to domestic concerns, the Ministry of Industry reports that a great trouble is brewing in our industrial engines.

52dnvl.jpg

259lq1g.jpg

It seems we cannot procure enough Iron to drive the Steelworks any more, and a quick visit to the Ministry of Trade tells us why.

288qp2w.jpg

Worldwide demand for Iron exceeded the supply by around ninety-thousand tonnes and it seemed that British factories, exhausting their domestic iron supply looked abroad and used their influence here to purchase iron from Belgium. All of it. Were it not for the fact that this left none for our own factories I should not mind, though unfortunately there is little we can do, the British government, as friendly as we are, are unlikely to cripple some of their own for our benefit. The best I can do is to make sure the problem does not get worse so I have the government pay the wages for workers of affected factories and end the encouragement of new factory workers to prevent the bill increasing;

2dqsqvl.jpg

We could have opened new factories not dependant on iron to produce goods, but factories themselves require a great deal of iron to build so it would do little good, the factories would only begin construction when the crisis ends. When we can do so though, it may be a good idea to diversify our industries. In the meantime I do have one idea of where to place the encouragement of the State;

2ppwlj9.jpg

We encourage missionaries and educators to make their way to Natal and provide monies to pay for the education and conversion of the natives and so fulfill our pledge to those peoples.

After christmas we receive an interesting offer from the Swedish ambassador;

73cirk.jpg

Sweden is a great power, though only just, and borders the Russian realm. If we make our presense in India and Russia seeks to take it from us a friendly Sweden may indeed be an asset, so I am delighted to accept the offer once the King grants assent.

fclok4.jpg

It is January now, and our Senate reforms. Once again there is a gain for the Liberals, while still small it is noticeably larger than those that came before it. This trend is quite annoying.

The new year also brings news that the expeditionary army in Natal is readied and will soon be sailing for India;

23tfio5.jpg

Camille is staying behind to govern Natal with a guard of six thousand men so a new man will be leading the bulk of the forces. That man is Pierre Wangermée. I have not met him myself, he made his name during the Zulu campaign, but from what I am told and can gather he is an excellent candidate. He is a dab-hand at managing a force and his ability to take the fight to the enemy is... well remarked. On January the 7th, Pierre's army began boarding the fleet.

34f16wx.jpg

There is very little else that happens in January, and February almost entirely passes without note. On it's penultimate day however war cries can be heard in South America;

1ze8r5j.jpg

A bit more than a week later I learn of an interesting project being undertaken by our industrialists;

2holkdf.jpg

Reopening the Steelworks? With iron so short? My first thought is that they are mad, they do not exactly have a sterling track record after all, and I was about to leave them to it when I decided they may know something. It turned out they did, there was a small surplus of Iron on the global markets. Before this factor could dissapear I immediately ordered the Ministry of Trade to make a stockpile, and several days later we had made a sizeable flood of it.

2cqh3b9.jpg

Should there ever be another lack of such a basic good, Belgium shall not be found wanting again. I ordered that our people be able to buy from the stockpile we had made and also set about diversifying our Industries. On the 15th of March we began.

In Flanders;

veufzk.jpg

We would begin our own shipping industry and would no longer be reliant on the British or French. Flanders also being the largest of our provinces in population and so most able to hold another industry, I commision another.

fanez8.jpg

Producing our own explosives will serve us well, especially in regards to my next commision in Wallonia

w2keba.jpg

(OOC Note: The reason these shots show 0 iron in the stockpile is because I accidently stockpiled steel at first and only realised when the factories didn't start building. For story purposes, I've "corrected" that)

By the end of March foundation pits began to appear across Belgium as our expansion began, and spring saw only their progress. It was June when Wangermée's forces reach the Gulf of Indus and the next phase of Belgium's destiny would begin.

2di3m2c.jpg

Next Episode: Chapter Nine: Raj d'Belgique

Last edited:
Oh get well soon !
The flu in August, not that common. :(

In my experience, flus and colds while mostly striking in the winter also achieve a significant peak in summer, utter bastards these viruses. :)

Anyway, writing made me feel slightly better so I gave it a go, felt worse then felt better again... come to think of it maybe it was the pills... nevermind on with AARt.

Everyone likes Walloons: Chapter 9

Previous Episode: The Belgian Empire

Chapter 9: Raj d'Belgique

Excrepts from the Journal of General Pierre Wangermée, Commander of the Second Belgian Expeditionary Force, relating to the War for Indus

13th of June 1843: My army lands near the Sindhi city of Karachi and demands the Amirate surrender authority to King Léopold. The Amir's response is plainly evident when his army takes up positions;

5ze1wi.jpg

20th of June 1843: The Amir and his generals are plainly fools for trying to stand against us and have paid for it. In a week I and my men have utterly destroyed his army. I feel confident I would have seen the same result had our numbers been reversed.

bgyb69.jpg

21st of June 1843: The long and boring process of pacifying the people of this land has begun.

c81ty.jpg

23rd of June 1843: With no more resistence to counter, not that it would really matter if there were, I have decided to split up the army in order to better take control. 3000 men will head north into the mountains of Sukkur and another 3000 men will head east to the hills of Umarkot.

2n7jnug.jpg

2nd of July 1843: Word from British observors is that the Russians have come to terms with the Panjabi heathens and so ended their war here. For now atleast.

zo9xc9.jpg

5th of July 1843: I have received word that my detachments have reached their distinations and have begun to carry out their orders. With any luck I'll be able to hand this land to the King by Christmas.

2iacqib.jpg

~~~~~The Narrative of Guillaume Joos Clerix, Prime Minister of Belgium~~~~~

The Summer of 1843 not only brings with it the thunder of cannon and rifle in the East, but progress here at home. Some of our brightest engineers having spent years in England studying have returned, minds filled to the brim with steam engines, rails and locomotion and are ready to roll out lines across the country that would put the curiosity of the Brussels-Mechelen line to shame.

1426lc4.jpg

Railways will require vast quantities of iron and steel, while we hold a good stockpile of such materials and the previous crisis has abated for the time being, the stituation is still slightly precarious giving grounds for caution. It is for that reason that I have His Majesty's government use all possible methods at it's disposal to encourage better methods and technologies in mining and smelting.

2qkhzbr.jpg

Late August now, and our engineers have begun rail projects across the land. One day soon the great port of Bruges will be linked by railway to the coal fields of Hasselt and all the major centres inbetween, including Brussels of course;

18kboh.jpg

Strangely they have not however, began any lines in Wallonie. Perhaps the industrialists there are much more conservative on these matters than their colleagues in Flanders? No matter, we shall step in to correct this oversight;

28v4z1i.jpg

As the first definate signs that autumn has begun to set in appear, September finds news from the warmer Mediterranean.

16ifmgi.jpg

It seems Spain is determined to win back it's place among the Great Powers by carving out more of their least member the Ottoman Empire, themselves having been surpassed by Sweden's rising star.

~~~~~Further excrepts from the Journal of General Pierre Wangermée, Commander of the Second Belgian Expeditionary Force, relating to the War for Indus~~~~~

10th of September 1843: The Sindi have tried to reform an army, too bad they didn't know how to handle it, for them atleast. Quite good for us as we had some target practice.

vh87kp.jpg

21st of October 1843: Received news from British traders today, they report the Dutch flag being raised in (former) Atjeh

2ugnm8i.jpg

10th of November 1843: The Amirate of Sindh is entirely ours now, and with over a month to spare on my prediction.

2psrh9x.jpg

11th of November 1843: The Amir listens to reason this time, and finally accepts the authority of the King of the Belgians.

rjo3fd.jpg

Sadly my business in this land is not yet over, and after dispatching word home I point my troops west towards the tiny nation of Makran, all that seperates the dastardly Russians from the Indian Ocean.

2q17vig.jpg

13th of November: Our terms reach the "court" of Makran. The ruler there is an insensible as the Amir of Sindh as he rejects them.

vyv77q.jpg

Perhaps he believed his 3 "allies" would heed his call to arms and guarentee his freedom? Unsurprisingly the fickle uncivilised heathens that infest the region go back upon their word and not a single one will oppose us.

14th of November 1843: The Russians can only look on as my troops begin their marches, signalling that "little" Belgium is beginning the containment of the mighty Russian Empire.

26399fq.jpg

22nd of November 1843: Reports are that the British have brought some of the realm of Panjab under their protection.

e6f7mr.jpg

4th of December 1843: Most of the army has entered Makran now and we are making contact with the enemy.

2renyb7.jpg

8th of December 1843: We are joined by the straggeling infantry division, although they needn't have bothered really. We are having no difficulty except in pinning the enemy down long enough to wreck.

11th of December 1843: The tiny army of the tiny nation of Makran has been wiped out today and can't help but feel the world is a slighly better place.

96aopg.jpg

We can now set about bringing order to this narrow coastal region.

14lodop.jpg

28th of March 1844: Bringing order to this narrow coastal region took rather longer than I thought it would. Atleast it is done now.

1zeiejc.jpg

And we can add this land to the rest of our Indian possesions.

16kq8gp.jpg

I wonder if the King will have me return home or stay on as governor.

~~~~~The Narrative of Guillaume Joos Clerix, Prime Minister of Belgium~~~~~

His Majesty once again consumed all sources of knowledge available on his new subjects;

2qcf4fk.jpg

The Karachi region that is home to the Sindi people and had once been the land of the Sindhi Amirate held very nearly two million peoples, almost half a million working men. Of whom almost all of them worked the fields and most of them were Muhammedeans of various sects, though there was a sizeable minority of Hindus, the religion of wider India.

The tiny strip of land known as Bela and the much larger area of land to which it is a part, the rest though is under Russian control, is home to the Baluchi peoples. The hundred thousand or so 'Free Baluchis' were similar to their counterparts in the east, muhammedean workers of the land.

When the King has satiated his curiosity he decided how best to incorporate the new possessions. The Proctectorate of Sindh would be established, unlike with the Zulu the rulers here were people who could properly be worked with, not to mention they had survived. There the Amir would be allowed to keep his title, though his role would be ceremonial, His Majesty would do the actual governing through a representative governor of his choosing. The province of Bela, due to it's comparatively small population and size would be included as special administrative division within the protectorate.

29lzmtu.jpg

- Flag of the Belgian Protectorate of Sindh

Pierre Wangermée would be appointed governor and this news is dispatched, along with orders to make the coast facilities fit for proper ships to make use of so that civilisation can be brought in, and much needed goods shipped out.

14b516s.jpg

In may I get many reports that the church programs in Natal are having great success in educating the natives and bringing proper Christian faith to them, and I decide that we should share that success with in the new protectorate, the new clergy in Natal should be able to carry on their good work without the need for continued state help.

35kiyo4.jpg

I am less concerned that the programmes here be as evangelical, the proper faith and the proper Catholic practice of that faith should of course be maintained, though as Islam is atleast an Abrahamic faith that gives respect to the Lord Jesus Christ it need not be quite so stressed.

The summer of 1844 rolls in most delightfully and the King upholds his pledge to respect the constitution of his people, declaring that there will be a general election;

205xpoi.jpg

I must admit to being slightly excited, I've never fought an election for anything higher than mere membership in the Chamber before and I will be doing so not simply to win government, but to maintain it.

My attention is occupied by entirely day to day matters for quite some time, I've even done some light campaigning by the time anything extraordinarily interesting occurs on the 12th of October;

2ilc4yo.jpg

Full access through our lands and ports? When we have spent so great an effort preventing their expansion? Granted it is nowhere near as good as holding the lands and harbours themselves but still. We cannot be having it, His Majesty is even more adamant than I on the issue.

On the first day of November, with winter truly setting in, news from South America;

f4k26q.jpg

Th Brazillian War for La Paz has ground to a stalemate and both sides have decided to end it, with neither gaining or losing anything. It seems that adventure was a waste of time, resources and lives.

It is very shortly after that, that His Majesty decides he should dissolve the Parliament of Belgium earlier than he might have otherwise, so that the represnetatives of his people and the people themselves have more time to move between the constituencies in these wetter, colder and more difficult to travel months. It is perhaps the last time I shall write as the Prime Minister of Belgium, if it is so I imagine history will look kindly on me for presiding over the expansion of Belgian power and civilisation beyond our little plot of Europe, only ten or so years after we had first wrested ourselves into existence. Perhaps I will be able to continue and will be able to serve my King and my people in consolidating and building those things to bring even great glory to this nation. The new year will tell...

The World: November 1844

Next Episode: Chapter Ten: Locomotion

Last edited:
Everyone likes Walloons: Chapter 10

Previous Episode: Chapter Nine: Raj d'Belgique

Chapter 10: Locomotion

I had spent most of November and early December travelling around the country speaking to rooms full of voters, encouraging them to vote for the local party candidate, I even gave a couple of speaches to the general, non-voting populace. I've never had a particular way with words, unlike some of my colleagues and predecessors have. Perhaps my more plain and frank speach was appreciated, as with that and my record and Belgium's recent achievements, we had a quite a succesful election really.

2z8pb48.jpg

The Liberals continue to make small gains in the Senate, but their presence in the Chamber of Representatives has shrunk slightly, giving our Catholic party an even more dominat position. Best of all of course, my 'National' faction's slight edge is now a proper majority within the party, if this continues we will truly be the dominant force. I am honored to see the voters put so much stock by us, and especially honored the King has invited me to carry right on as the head of His Government.

As the celebrations ushering in the year of 1845 and of our election victory fade we begin look forward to spring, and at the turn of the month there is a rush of excitement among the engineering community;

2ihrz0j.jpg

They have hit upon various methods and devices that not only allow us to mine deeper and further than ever before, but more than double the current productivity of such mines! Better still these things hint at more practical applications that will improve these matters even further. I couldn't be more pleased with the geniuses that inhabit Belgium once turned to proper matters of practicality, thanks to them we shall hopefully be safe from any further iron shortages. The King has enquired about the possibility of improving our rail network, stronger and faster engines better fit to lug the glut of mineral wealth pouring from the ground into our factories, works and mills. It is an excellent idea and I am quite happy to add to putting the full weight of His Majesty's government behind it;

349ck04.jpg

In February we also hear of news from across the Atlantic, the Mexican war for Texas has finally ended and it has not gone as Mexico hoped;

5f1xe8.jpg

Instead of reuniting the American parts of Texas with their own, they've given up their own, reuniting Mexican Texas with American Texas. They've also lost the territory of New Mexico to boot. While I have no investment in the matter and it seems that Mexico have stronger claim to the areas than the USA, I can't help but feel this is somehow... more correct.

It is another month before international matters intrude on us once more, much closer to home this time;

4gosv6.jpg

When Spain began their campaign ogainst the Ottomans last year they called in their allies, it seems that the Russians, whose great strength made them the leaders in the war, are determined to take something for themselves out of it.

It is the pleasant May of '45 and I am getting some very exciting news indeed from the Ministry of Industry, our new factories are completed;

14kcndd.jpg

New factories will require new workers of course, so we end our previous educational endeavour, and a begin a new one;

2lxe807.jpg

In the heady temperatures of summer, June the 2nd sees the British begin a new campaign in the India/Asia area;

1zod8xt.jpg

Likely they hope to take the territory before the Russians can. Speaking of Russia, we also see the end of the Ottoman campaign in the last week of June;

29fqmgo.jpg

Typical of the dastardly Tsar, "Imperator" Nicholas. He has had the war drawn to a close and despite it being instigated by the Spaniards it is he and Russia that come away with all the "loot". With Spain achievementless he has left his friends demoralised and destablised at the lost men for no gain.

To more pleasant news now, the first link in the great chain that will one day be our rail network has been completed;

35bt3cn.jpg

The line connects the city of Brussels to Hasselt and it's coal fields and already sees peoples, goods, resources and commerce flow along this artery, The King travelled especially in the first locomotive open to the public(He couldn't be in any of the engineers test engines lest something have gone wrong, of course) to chug down the tracks. Mere weeks later the rest of the network in Flanders is completed;

25hg4xx.jpg

Rolling stock and it's precious cargoes can now travel from the principle port of Bruges to the Dutch border in Hasselt and anywhere in between in around a day, in some cases less than that. It is truly a great age to live in. Estimates for the Walloon half of the railway system put it's completion in winter, before the end of the year. The whole nation looks forward to seeing that. In the meantime we progress through the height of summer and into autumn, the very first twinges of colour are beggining to show on the trees in September when we receive word from Natal;

2eaj7ro.jpg

Governor Camille Dethier's new ports, built to Admiral De Leuze's specifications(with a little help from the British) are finally completed, and our tiny section of Africa now possess the best harbour and port facilities on the continent. They will greatly assist in projecting Belgian influence in that great landmass and across the southern oceans.

At last we begin to see winter all around us as the trees are rapidly shedding their foliage and it is time to open the rest of our rail lines;

2wcgzee.jpg

It is a slight shame that the first vistas at view upon the national network are muddy fields and bare trees, though this point is simply drowned out in the enthusiasm for the great engines and soon the views will be of beautiful pure white when the snows come. Hopefully that beautious precipitation of heaven will not give any trouble to the operations.

The approaching dark days are not met with quiet in wider Europe however, we notified by the embassies present that one again the Germanic nations are having another brawl;

xde2e.jpg

No doubt we will receive a singular offer from the Prussians very soon, my predecessor sent a letter warning me of their... grasp, of geography when the news broke to the wider establishment.

After Christmas, the new year of 1846 sees the bloody liberals at it yet again;

1737lj.jpg

Another small gain over the Catholic party particularly from the national faction. If this keeps up by the next election or so these people will able to muck about with our constitution. Now isn't that a terrible thought. The ominousity of the year does not end there however;

9a67g9.jpg

Now I am of course all in favour of the Dutch-ish speaking Flems and celebration of our various heritages, being of both Flemish aswel as Wallonie stock myself, but this growing movement of a particular "Flemish voice" to oppose/counter the smaller though more official french speaking "Walloon voice" is very dangerous. What happened to the great united "Belgian voice" that declared our indepdence from the Netherlands? That broke their armies and sacked Amerstdam itself? Will we be doomed to fragment? If we do what's to stop a rising voice of Bruges or Liege say? Ohwell, hopefully it well never come to that, certainly not while I'm around to do something about it!

The rest of the first half of 1846 is quiet, no new developments at home or in the world at large occur until August, specifically the third, when yet more news of potential trouble comes from America;

2qa1cn7.jpg

Even in the union of states there is talk of fragmentation and regionalism, though I suppose this particular incident is much further down the axis of seccession and civil disruption than mere talk and anything we've seen at home.

August is however, a good month for us, and the first truly good month of 1846. A couple of weeks after the american news, Engineers are presenting new rail and engines designs to His Majesty;

zmidk5.jpg

Aswell as new more powerful engines, technicians and engineers have proposed standardising the 'guage', that is to say the width between the rails on which the engines and their trains run, across the country. This would better facilitate construction of the engines and increase efficiency as transfers between lines outside the tolerances are eliminated. A recent act in Britain has officially adopted a standarised guage of four feet and eight and a half inches, we are told that this provides a good compromise between the cost effectiveness and ability to curve of narrower gauges with the speed potential and stabilty of broader ones and most of the lines(not all of them of course, particularly those operated by companies) are already of that guague, our very first engines having been imported from Britain. So His Majesty has asked me to present a similar act before our own Parliament adopting the British guage as our standard also.

With our engineers busy in the meantime I shall be having our academic establishments encouraging a different field, that of the study of medicine. Our presense in Southern Africa and western India has put our people in encouters with new conditions and diseases and enviorons that we have no proper experience of, a great medical understanding will do our people wonders I am sure. It should also alleviate the minor outbreaks of cholera we are encountering in Sindh aswell as a provide a host of other smaller benefits, as I believe I said before, this is surely one of the best times to have ever been alive.

On August 24th, the Parliament of Belgium passes its Standardisation of Railroad Guage Act having achieved substantial backing of just over four fifths of the members in the Chamber, the resistence being exclusively from liberals most of whom thought we should leave it to the discretion of rail companies, in which, coincidently many of them own shares. These people would see the maintenance of little monopoly networks for their own profit rather than consider the profit of Belgium as a whole so I am content to take this "liberty" away from them. And with that teams of engineers are streaming out of Brussels bringing all lines into the standard aswell as taking the oppertunity to expand the networks;

msluv4.jpg

The mood of the year had been given a boost in August, but it was not to last through September. On the 27th of September word reached us that almost entirely destroyed our good news;

2wp182x.jpg

The Russians are probing our colonial borders in India, gauging our will to defend the positions and our strengths within them by abducting our own peoples on such a flimsy pretext. There is an immediate call for war and I am inclined to agree, a defeat of Russia would ensure the security of our protectorate as they are clearly interested in taking it. And with the support of our allies, particularly the United Kingdom and it's great empire and navy we would surely not loose the fight. The King is cautious though and refuses to issue the declaration at our current levels of readiness, we need to bolster our forces and guarentee that atleast England joins us before starting out. That should not be too difficult, it is in the best interests of them to see Russia's position in India weakened. Our other allies are a different prospect, Denmark being so small comparitively and Sweden being so close, they cannot be relied upon in this case. So it is to bolster the army that the government now attends;

2nrew6.jpg

Several new divisions are to be raised, not only from our own colonial garrisons but we are hiring thousands of willing native volunteers attracted by the prospect of good pay, great equipment and, I hope, the chance to serve their adopted motherland. Twelve thousand men will be raised in Sindh and a further twelve thousand in Natal, to be transported across should the fight still be on.

Possibly in mind of new action on the Indian continent, our comminques on the subject have been most frequent, Britain draws a close to it's Afghan campaign;

14t5te8.jpg

And with the war footing taking a hold it is nice to know that some people are still busy enriching life in other ways;

25tktbt.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan of the thing myself, sounds like a possessed cat in a printing press, but I'm not surprised it's catching on in Paris. Should fit right up the alley of that culture. Still, it's always nice to see something Belgian catch on in the international arts etc.

There's nothing special for me to make note of in what remains of the year, 1846 has certainly been a strange one, so it is a slight relief that 1847 decides to start without any particular surprise;

511uut.jpg

Slight relief in that I'm used to this trend, but the trend itself is still worrying. I'm beginning to think the Russian are involed here, secrelty backing the liberals somehow as they would throw away our tremendous advancement and national growth for the sake of their silly ideals and private profits.

By the first week of March the we have raised three quarters of the new divisions, eighteen thousand men, across two continents, the remaining six thosand will take some time.

jl0x3l.jpg

On the 25th of March the new docks and shipyards in Karachi are finally ready, moving goods and shipping through these should aid us greatly

2wcffp0.jpg

With proper naval facilities on three continents and an impending war, it is also a good time for another round of naval expansion, especially since Russia possess a small fleet of "steam" ships.

4kid8w.jpg

One of those steam raiders outmatches our greatest warships in terms of withstanding a pounding, and we lack the facilities to produce our own matching vessels but more ships will give us a better chance if our fleets ever meet. Though I would be lieing if I did not say that I am hoping the great British home fleet of warships and steamers does that for us.

Finally however it cannot be postponed any more. Troops raised, shipyards busy, military raring, Britain waiting and April dawning, we have waited long enough. We will attempt to destroy Russia's hopes of establishing a true presence in India and reunite the Free Baluchi of Bela with the rest of their peoples.

5ea9nl.jpg

(OOC Note: Since the previous episode I've been editting the regions some more. Old Kalat has seen it's northern two most provinces seperated into the state of Peshawar with the rest becomming Baluchistan. The Karachi region has been renamed Sindh and several Indian regions have also been given proper names(Rajputana, Punjab etc.))

It is April the 1st 1847.

The World: April 1847

Next Episode: Chapter Eleven: The Lion verus the Bear

Last edited: