Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paradox Achievements - almost everything you ever wanted to know

Paradox Achievements - almost everything you ever wanted to know

What is "Paradox Achievements"?

"Unfortunately, nobody can be told what "Paradox Achievements" is, you have to see it for yourself."

I can tell you this right now - We're super excited about "Paradox Achievements" and we think you'll be too.

F.A.Q.
    Q: What are Paradox Achievements?
    A: Paradox Achievements are small rewards (in the form of a little icon and a bunch of points) you will get for completing certain goals in games that support Paradox Points. You accumulate points on your profile and you'll be able to track how many paradox points you have gathered while playing our games.

Q: Are "Paradox Achievements" related to Paradox Connect?

A: Yes, in fact, it's one of the first things we're doing with Paradox Connect. Paradox Achievements is essentially a new feature for our upcoming games for those players who chose to use it.

Q: Is this a DRM?! Are you destroying the games I love? Have you turned evil?

A: No, No and No!

Q: Do I have to use this achievement / Paradox connect thingy? I want to play like i've always done.

A: Paradox believes in giving the player choices, so you can decide yourself if you want to have fun with achievements or not.

Q: When are you launching the first achievements?
    A: As soon as possible. But we want to find a good launch title for the achievements. We're tentatively launching them Q1 2011.

Q: I only play paradox games with mods, can I still unlock achievements if I play with Mods?

A: Hard to answer. It really depends on the game. Since we don't want people to cheat at acquiring achievements you currently have to chose to forgo achievements if you want to play with certain mods. We'll get into the details once we've launched the achievements.

Q: I have a great idea for an achievement. Will we get to design some of them?
    A: The game designers will be the ones' that design them. But that won't stop you from having lively discussions about them on the forums. Who know's we might run a "design an achievement" contest in the future.

/s
    Last edited by Regina; 13-12-2010 at 14:41.
    Chun Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces!
    Bison: I'm sorry... I don't remember any of it.
    Chun Li: You don't remember?
    Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Twitter: @ShamsJorjani

thread open!

Ask away!

/s
    Chun Li: My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away. A hero at a thousand paces!
    Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday.

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    81 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Its open

ok first question...

Will it be like the Steam Achievements?
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

10+ Years on the Forum Demi Moderator SAS's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsMagicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Will this Paradox Achievements have to do with how many games we own?

EDIT: Supreme Ruler 2020 cold war! sweet
    Last edited by SAS; 19-08-2010 at 22:11.
    - March of the Eagles mod: The Gods

- When I speak in Cyan its as a Demi-Moderator. Please review the following links: FAQ / Forum Rules / General Usage

Mushroom Korps Field Marshal OrangeYoshi's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Third question: Will we register for it through our current ParadoxPlaza accounts, or some other way?

Also, your FAQ has an error of omission in it. While you haven't turned evil, you didn't have to; you guys have been evil since the very beginning!
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines
    No Time Limit Mod lll Quick Questions Quick Answers

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Well, where is it? How... when? Why? What if... ? Eh, what is it exactly?
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Quote Originally Posted by Alexspeed View Post
    Its open

ok first question...

Will it be like the Steam Achievements?
    That's a pretty broad question. Be more precise and I'll give you a more precise answer.

Yes and no.

Generally speaking the PA's are designed to incorporate the best aspects from all the existing achievement systems out there (Xbox, PS3, Steam, Battle.net etc etc) and improve upon them and add a Paradoxian quality to them.

So they'll have points and will pop up while you are playing. You'll be able to showcase your score on your forum profile, otherwise they are fairly similar to Steam achievements.

/s

83 games registered

Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsMagicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard

Blog Entries
    Will it be an overall score or broken down?

- When I speak in Cyan its as a Demi-Moderator. Please review the following links: FAQ / Forum Rules / General Usage

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shams View Post
    That's a pretty broad question. Be more precise and I'll give you a more precise answer.

Yes and no.

Generally speaking the PA's are designed to incorporate the best aspects from all the existing achievement systems out there (Xbox, PS3, Steam, Battle.net etc etc) and improve upon them and add a Paradoxian quality to them.

So they'll have points and will pop up while you are playing. You'll be able to showcase your score on your forum profile, otherwise they are fairly similar to Steam achievements.

/s

AWESOME!

You guys really know the proper way to fight piracy.

How will the data from your games be transferred to your online profile?
    On Ubik: "HE GETS TO BE SMUG AFTER CARVING THE FACE OF PERFECTION USING THE SPOON OF INSPIRATION UPON THE BUTTOCKS OF AN ANGEL"

────── OrangeYoshi's Newbie Sig Information Center: Help is just a click away...™ ──────
    EU3 Wiki lll Paradox Acronyms lll FAQ Forum lll General FAQ lll Siege FAQ lll Patrolling Guidelines

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    And can you explain Paradox Connect more now?

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

OK, so if you do a Ryukyu WC in EU3 you will get some sort of an icon in your profile for that, eh? Fine, fine.

What if I cheat? (not that I would ever do that )
    Or what about modded games?
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Quote Originally Posted by SAS View Post
    Will this Paradox Achievements have to do with how many games we own?

EDIT: Supreme Ruler 2020 cold war! sweet
    The more games you have registered the more achievements you have available to unlock.
    Third question: Will we register for it through our current ParadoxPlaza accounts, or some other way?
    Games that support achievements will have you log into a (local) ingame profile when you start the game. You will then have the option to link that profile to your forum account. As you unlock the achievements your new point total will appear in your paradox forum profile.
    Will it be an overall score or broken down?
    both. We hope to have numerous ladderboards and lists where you can compare achievements.

So there will be a master list where you'll see who has the most points and there will be lists for each game. Who has all the CK2 achievements for instance.

/s

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    So Paradox Connect is the service used for the achievements?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    When and where?
    This mark entitles the bearer to have beer bought by Lurken
    Lurken says:
    and she texts "It is difficult when you are so kind - it gets hard to avoid..." am I the only one reading it as she texts that it is hard to avoid dumping him and make a new move on me?
    Zach says:
    I read it as her trying to say "Oh, take me and ravage me as if I were the Russian hordes trying to reclaim the Baltic States, you charismatic Swede, you"
    The Radiant Light of The Rising Sun, Bringer of Clarity, Herald of Dawn

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shams View Post
    Games that support achievements will have you log into a (local) ingame profile when you start the game. You will then have the option to link that profile to your forum account. As you unlock the achievements your new point total will appear in your paradox forum profile.
    Wonderful. Good to hear we can get achievements without going near Ubisoft-esque or Steam-esque "must be online to play" models.

Will the achievements be released with the game and expansion packs only, or will you let players submit ideas for achievements to be included in patches or another form of DLC?

Also, will we be able to make up achievements for mods?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeYoshi View Post

AWESOME!

You guys really know the proper way to fight piracy.

How will the data from your games be transferred to your online profile?
    You're right, but this has never been about fighting piracy - it's about rewarding the gamers, fighting piracy is just an added benefit.

The game simply syncs up with our server and tells it you've unlocked the achievement.

OK, so if you do a Ryukyu WC in EU3 you will get some sort of an icon in your profile for that, eh? Fine, fine.
    Something along those lines. We might not show every achievement but you might be able to showcase 3 or so of your choice. But thats down the line, the primary thing displayed will be your paradoxscore.

What if I cheat? (not that I would ever do that )
    Or what about modded games?
    Great question. We had a long hard think about this and considered all the different pro's and con's of this.

We support modding and we want to support achievements as well. But we don't want people cheating by modding. So we can't do both at the same time.

Thats why you have to use profiles. Use one to unlock achievements and bragging rights and use another to play around with mods.

We really wish we could get both but it's just not technically possible.

/s

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    81 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I thought a broad question would be best because it lets you explain a bit and i see you did, thank you

Overall that sounds really promising,
    but what about manipulation of this points?

If those files are stored locally,
    there wouldnt be any way to prevent cheating on them or not?

If there are rankings, pepole would allways use any unfair means to get to the top without doing anything for it if they can, that would make rankings usless then.
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    I just read the Paradox annoucement on the home page about Paradox Connect, very nice!

It will be interesting to see how you impliment the duel profiles.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SAS View Post
    I just read the Paradox annoucement on the home page about Paradox Connect, very nice!

It will be interesting to see how you impliment the duel profiles.
    Indeed, it looks most excellent.
    This mark entitles the bearer to have beer bought by Lurken
    Lurken says:
    and she texts "It is difficult when you are so kind - it gets hard to avoid..." am I the only one reading it as she texts that it is hard to avoid dumping him and make a new move on me?
    Zach says:
    I read it as her trying to say "Oh, take me and ravage me as if I were the Russian hordes trying to reclaim the Baltic States, you charismatic Swede, you"
    The Radiant Light of The Rising Sun, Bringer of Clarity, Herald of Dawn

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Will old games already released get this, or only new releases from now on?
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast