• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shame about that defeat, but it looks like you've essentially won the war. I guess it depends on what Cambodia does, though.

I like your AARs, subscribed!

I've just started reading and I love your AAR so far. I don't even have Vic 2 yet, just kinda poking around the forums to see if it is worth it, I played HOI 2 and had a hard time getting into it. Idunno if I got bored, found it slow, or what but I am hoping Vic 2 might change my mind as I love the time period. Anyway, keep it up and I look forward to reading more.
AsmodeanKane, Welcome! I suspect maybe we're both Robert Jordan fans, but the name Asmodean has been used in more than one context. Thanks! You'll enjoy V2 when you get it -- I'm having a blast. Just wish I had more time to play. HOI 3 is great too -- don't listen to the people who complain about it. I think it's the best game around. I didn't play HOI 2 quite as much, but HOI 3 is very different in some ways, similar in others. My HOI 3 AAR is here: Imperio Novo (and about to be updated soon with one regular update as well as a fiction scene!).

another brilliant AAR, as with your Portugal HOI one the smaller scale allows you to focus on the key game dynamics .... and its extremely well written :)
Loki! Welcome, sir, to this AAR -- good to see you! Note my note on Imperio Novo above. I love dwelling on the game mechanics. Working on the Strategy Guide just puts me into such deep contact with the little strategies and levers you can use to improve things, I love showing them off!

Interesting that you chose Siam and get bogged down in Dai Viet. This AAR joins your impressive tutAArials Milan (EU3) and Portugal (HOI3) in being sidelined as you deal with yet another game.

Graphics look really good and there's a sense of frustration that you've built into the game with the poor strategy followed by Siam's ruler.
Aww, Chief! You're being kind blaming "Siam's ruler" for my mistakes. :p No, I started the game being all cocky and game results put me back in my place where I started paying more attention to real strategy. I'm just not used to being the "little guy" (Portugal HOI 3 aside). I promise I WILL be updating Imperio Novo (see note above) as well as Sforza in coming days/weeks. I've decided I'm going to change the focus of Sforza and make it more quick-paced. The value of tight-focus updates is lost 4 years after release, and it makes more sense just to show the broad history now. Welcome!

+1, keep it coming!
Will do!

The randomness factor in battles with smaller amounts of troops seems really high, and also generally results in my army being wiped out!

How much of an issue is Cambodia going to be? You might want to focus on crushing Dai Nam's ability to wage war before dealing with Cambodia--especially if they're only besieging one province at a time. Remember, there's a good bit of low-supply jungle between them and Bangkok.
Quite correct about the smaller armies. You can affect it yourself, though, by picking good leaders and good ground. Cambodia is a pittance. A fly in my ear. :D Update coming up will show you...

Things seem to be progressing well in spite of the latest small setback. Nice to see Cambodia finally joining the fray. :D

When I played Siam I could never increase relations by more than +15 with any country. In fact, it was always +15 and it always worked. I see you increased relations with the UK by +21.
Strange...
Actually, my increase was just by 15 also. I started with 21, plus 15. I'll concentrate on that strategy more in coming updates...

Your war is going well, despite those costly setbacks. Is it too early to ask what your aims are, regarding A) Dai Nam and B) Cambodia? :)
The upcoming update will explain better than here...

Always gotta like Rensslaer AAR's, especially ones from back in the day of V1.
After a long absence, TekcoR has returned! Welcome! For those who don't know, Tekcor did... what, about a half-dozen or more Victoria 1 AARs? A FULL dozen, maybe? Great stuff, excellent strategy.

You should stop losing battles, or you will lose the war. :p
:p May I hire you as my advisor! lol

Wow, the war is going well just hope you don't have any more setbacks. Wait, actually I might learn more from your defeats... Either way that was still a great update
Ahh, yes.... After many, many years of studying military history, I've come to the conclusion that not only do WE learn more from studying the mistakes of others, but generals in the field become great generals from learning from their own mistakes (if they're willing to learn). The US Army in WW II would be dead if it weren't for this...

Just as well you hadn't had the time to set any war goals, Cambodia entering the war changes things a bit. Or are you going to go for some Dainamese land anyway?
Actually, you can't request land from a satellite -- you have to make them release it first. And so technically the entry of Cambodia doesn't change anything. But you're right in the direction I should be going.

You are Siamese, if we please? You are Siamese if we don't please?

I'll be reading.
Welcome, Ingtar! Thanks for joining in!

Great update.
Welcome, Kargos! I'm honored that you've made your first post in my AAR! :)

Shame about that defeat, but it looks like you've essentially won the war. I guess it depends on what Cambodia does, though.
One more update, then on to more mundane matters for a bit...

I like your AARs, subscribed!
Welcome, Earendil! Glad to have you along. Please remind me.... do I remember you from another of my AARs, or am I just thinking of LotR?

A very entertaining report. Best of luck with the next round of the war.

-- Subscribed
Thank you, Agentmsn! Welcome! Another poster whose first post goes here! I am quite honored!

I have the graphics ready for another update, just need to type it up. Hopefully lunch today.

Thanks again for reading! And for your comments -- I really appreciate them!

Rensslaer

Rens, I have to say I love your AARs and this one is no exception. As soon as I update my graphics card I am getting V2, thanks in large part to this AAR :) Now, fight the good fight! :D

I find myself waiting in defensive stance for two attacks. My newly recruited regular infantry (my second brigade) is rushing from Bangkok to bolster defenses after the Cambodians took their first province. With the infantry, equal numbers don't mean equal odds...

Setup.jpg

The clash happens at Vinh at the end of July. The Dainamese are still hurting (low organization) from their previous battle, where they wiped out our men. They pay dearly now, for that small success. After just a few days they are mostly defeated, taking twice our losses, and we move north to pursue.

EasyFight.jpg

I was aided, of course, by Gen. Saovabha, whose defensive stats give him an advantage, and by the terrain, which makes Vinh a good place NOT to attack. :D

The Cambodians ran into our defensive line in the middle of the jungle. The terrain, the river, their general's inability at attack, all combined to make this no better a match. Within one week, in the middle of August, we decisively defeated the enemy (yes, that IS a 1,000-casualty-per-day rate! -- 8:1 casualty ratio by the end) and we pursued them as they turned for home. The second battle caused their utter defeat, and then we took back Battambang.

BattamSouth.jpg

Obviously, there was to be no bar to our victory in this war. We added our first war goal when victory was assured. It was a difficult choice, whether we most wanted territory or Cambodia released. With Cambodia no longer a satellite, though, we could attack them on their own and absorb them. We chose that option, knowing full well that it wouldn't be the only war goal we'd ask for.

WarAims.jpg

At Hue we successfully stopped another Dainamese brigade from forming. We arrived just in time, too. We began trying to take control of Hue with our small force.

BlueHue.jpg

The same sort of battle occurred in Cambodia -- we wiped out another brigade as it formed. This is one of the easiest ways to kill off the enemy's strength. If you can occupy in force, they can't build any new troops.

CambViet.jpg

The occupation of Hue was taking a while -- with just 2,000 troops -- but it was time to add another war goal. This would give us most of the territory we'd spent so much of the war fighting for. The fall of Hue was not required for us to achieve this. The enemy was clearly beaten.

Complete.jpg

Cambodia no less beaten. Everything was just a matter of time. We even fought a newly-recruited Dainamese brigade in Cambodia, then pursued them into southern Dai Nam with two separate columns.

ThanhHoaOurs.jpg

I take much of the Dainamese coastline in the peace deal. This includes much of their most populated and most productive land! Moreover, Dai Nam is now separated into two indefensible sections, just like Luang Prabang, and if they ever go to war with us again they will be made short work of.

Finally, I was given the option to extend Siam's legalized slavery into their land (where it already existed) or to free the slaves. Since I am not role-playing a moral leader (as I do often, but not now), and since there is no particular advantage to freeing slaves right now, and because 75% of Siam's population is farmers, who are notoriously pro-slavery, I choose to extend the franchise. Not a moral choice, but it fits the times and the culture.

Peace once more...

Doing fairly well so fare. Let's see how long it last. We all know China (or the UK), will be the big bad wolf to your three little piggy's :rofl:

But hey, GO SIAM!

Slavery? Where's Anna when you need her? Impressive Rensslaer, you achieved your war aims despite the kicking a well handled small ai army gave yours.Quite surprising the ai.

Now, to important matters, how will you help the artisans?

Most excellent work! Hopefully all this winning doesn't attract foreign animosity. As I saw in one of your screenies the Dutch annexed Bali, so the Europeans are definitely on the move :eek:

Great work beating Dai Nam! I'll be following your AAR!

Fun stuff, thanks for the AAR. I just hope you don't wind up the way Johan's Texas AAR ended.

Ouch for Dai Nam. :) At this very moment, your neighborhood looks nice: quiet and weak (excepting the Chinese and the Brits of course). As long as your big neighbors leave you alone, Dai Nam and Cambodia are yours for the taking, whenever you want them.

Question: from a game perspective, what (if any) are the benefits of slavery? Apart from the fact that you're not upsetting any pops who favor slavery, that is.

Congratulations! Today Vietnam, tomorrow British India!

Nice update to your AAR! I really enjoy how the wording of your AAR makes it so easy to follow so much so that the pictures are just an added bonus. What do you think your next plans will be? More military buildup in preparation for a possible scuffle with the British or China, spend some time working on the economy, or something else? Also, yes, my name comes from the WOT Asmodean. :)

Good stuff, I am tempted to get Vicky 2 but the economy looks like it takes a lot of effort.

Good stuff, I am tempted to get Vicky 2 but the economy looks like it takes a lot of effort.

It does ... if you're a minor uncivilized country like Siam! Majors and even minor civilized countries do not have money troubles, under 1.1 anyway.

Pick the game you want to play = pick your country.