• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any other "lurkers" out there who might want to say hi?

Hi. :p
I intend on buying Vicky II very soon. Played the demo and it was fun. But what really sells me is this AAR. Very well written and fun to read. *gasp* the player made a mistake! :wacko: And didn't reload!!:eek: Very good. Now...it is time for me to recede back into the darkness....
:cool:

Go for the throat! The momentum of the war has entirely shifted...in a single update. Now is not the time for caution, you should pursue them until they are completely annihilated.

The loss ratio for that battle in Savannakhet is pretty ridiculous. Guess that's what dug-in troops in the mountains can do for you.

I look forward to the subjugation of Dai Viet. :)

EDIT: Right... Dai Viet is from EU3, Dai Nam is Victoria 2. Will try to remember. :)

Last edited:
That ought to be a game changer... A catastrophic defeat for the Vietnamese, a great opportunity for you.

So, in a defensive war, do you set any war goals? Or can you only fight your foe to a standstill?

Great attention to detail, as always from you, which comes in handy to learn the ropes of a new game. I guess you'll recover from those mistakes quickly enough :)

Thank you, Aldriq! Welcome! Hope you do enjoy the game!

Great AAR. Regarding the UK: hire an English Teacher and put her in your court so that they won't touch you (referring to "The King and I") :rofl:
Thanks! Welcome, Jomni! Yes -- actually, partly why I chose Siam is I recently read (listened to - audiobook) the historic (true?) story of the actual lady who the King and I story was based on (loosely, apparently). It was quite educational and entertaining, though she quite looked down on the king and culture, in her own story.

Based on the screenshots, it looks like you made a small error in rushing into Vinh with too small a force. Their armies still seem awful big to be attempting an invasion (as you alluded to in earlier comments).

How's the financial situation going? If you're fighting a war and expanding your army's numbers of regulars, I'd imagine you're a good ways in debt by now. I have a hard enough time keeping from hemorrhaging money while at war early with a Great Power. :)

I look forward to your impending glorious victory. ;)
You know... I've found that for an economy the size of Siam's I can go several thousand in debt without any kind of real impact. So I have a plan to spend, once I've developed and expanded a little more! :D

I suppose I should stop lurking and say Hi and that I'm really enjoying this AAR, I'm certainly learning alot. Anyway back to lurking :rolleyes:
Glad you're learning alot, MagicDonkey -- Welcome! Thanks for stopping to say hi.

I like how your highlighting the fighting, Vicky 2 fighting is much more nailbiting than Vicky I. Rock on, teach them who runs SEAsia!
Thanks, Matt12th! Welcome! I enjoy focusing on the fighting because -- this may sound obvious -- it's how things are won or lost! You can build a great army using your great economy, but if you don't know how to win a war once you get into it, it will do you no good. Great armies (witness my latest war) can fall at the hands of weaker armies used wisely.

where is that shown? Is it where there's the little "x" in the middle of the second row? I always wondered what that stuff meant :)

thanks for the terrific AAR!
Welcome, Badger_ken! Yes, you're correct -- it's the "x" on the field which represents each brigade. A slash, rather than an x represents cavalry, and a dot represents artillery. Their position on the field determines where they can attack. Only artillery (or aeroplanes) can fire from the 2nd rank.

Hi. :p
I intend on buying Vicky II very soon. Played the demo and it was fun. But what really sells me is this AAR. Very well written and fun to read. *gasp* the player made a mistake! :wacko: And didn't reload!!:eek: Very good. Now...it is time for me to recede back into the darkness....
:cool:
Welcome, Armonistan! Thanks! I'm honored to hear this has influenced your choice! I do enjoy highlighting mistakes. My previous Vicky AAR -- Fire Warms the Northern Lands in the old Vicky -- really took off when I almost suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the French (I was Prussia)! People enjoyed seeing real stuff, not just perfect successes. Thanks for stopping in!

Go for the throat! The momentum of the war has entirely shifted...in a single update. Now is not the time for caution, you should pursue them until they are completely annihilated.

The loss ratio for that battle in Savannakhet is pretty ridiculous. Guess that's what dug-in troops in the mountains can do for you.

I look forward to the subjugation of Dai Viet. :)

EDIT: Right... Dai Viet is from EU3, Dai Nam is Victoria 2. Will try to remember. :)
I do intend to pursue! Now is the time!

Now, it seems to me that at the time of that battle I didn't actually have any capability to dig in. I do now -- I've played ahead in the game -- but I'm pretty sure I couldn't back then.

Wow, quite a turnaround!
Such a dramatic reverse would be difficult against a major power. But we were able to knock out most of their army in one battle -- good news!

So small losses...:rolleyes:
Quite nice!

That ought to be a game changer... A catastrophic defeat for the Vietnamese, a great opportunity for you.

So, in a defensive war, do you set any war goals? Or can you only fight your foe to a standstill?
You can't set war goals until you've achieved some success in battle -- i.e. once your warscore is positive (in your favor... which technically would be a negative warscore if you're on the defense, but... yes. :)). But once you have some warscore in your favor you may "add a war goal" and pick what you want.

Thanks, everybody! Thanks for reading, and especially for commenting! Any new readers out there?

Rensslaer

I've just started reading and I love your AAR so far. I don't even have Vic 2 yet, just kinda poking around the forums to see if it is worth it, I played HOI 2 and had a hard time getting into it. Idunno if I got bored, found it slow, or what but I am hoping Vic 2 might change my mind as I love the time period. Anyway, keep it up and I look forward to reading more.

Interesting that you chose Siam and get bogged down in Dai Viet. This AAR joins your impressive tutAArials Milan (EU3) and Portugal (HOI3) in being sidelined as you deal with yet another game.

Graphics look really good and there's a sense of frustration that you've built into the game with the poor strategy followed by Siam's ruler.

At the very end of 1838 (western calendar), that last decisive battle at Savannakhet brought us even with Dai Nam in warscore. In fact, we're actually ahead 0.2 -- the last battle basically having undone everything the Dainamese had accomplished to date.

MinusPoint2.jpg

Time to take the battle to them! My first move is cautious. I don't know for certain that they have nothing left to fight with (and we find out later they do!), so my moves are guardedly aggressive -- I move into Vinh with our largest army, and send the remnants of another brigade into Vientiane. This has the effect of blocking any counterattacks -- with the fronts as they are (with Cambodia not yet in the war) nothing can get past those two provinces. Once my guy arrives in Vientiane, he'll move from there into Thanh Hoa.

Blocking.jpg

My move into Vinh is also aggressive because I'm following the enemy. We won a great battle, but allowing him to escape would be foolhardy.

Multitasking -- always, even during war! -- I improve my relations with my neighbor the United Kingdom, just in case they have any designs upon my territory. The better our relations are (they're not high enough yet, but I'm building the bond), the more is at risk (Infamy, Militancy) if they decide to attack me (which means they won't -- they'd give warning by reducing relations first).

UKRelations.jpg

As expected, the followup battle at Vinh was short and forced the surrender of the entire enemy remnant for little cost to me. I leave a small force to begin taking control of Vinh, and move my largest force north to start seizing Thanh Hoa. As soon as my army in Vientiane rests a little (he's really sapped!), he'll move along too.

ThanhHoa.jpg

It really does appear as if there are no enemy armies left (only a couple being recruited -- the little guy in the white shirt at Hanoi, for instance), and so I leave another small holding force to siege Thanh Hoa while moving my main force north to their capital at Hanoi. If, by some odd circumstance, they still have an army up there, I want my largest force (unfortunately just 2-3,000 strong) at the front.

I get an event in the meantime. It's basically a choice between some POPs gaining MIL and CON and earning extra research points, or nothing happening and losing the same number of research points. I don't remember if I mentioned a similar event earlier. I handle this the same way. Even though I'm not particularly keen on CON for non-Thai POPs I don't want to lose 2 months worth of RPs so I accept the penalty that earns more.

Hanoi.jpg

My economic situation is never entirely outside of my attention span, even during wartime. I'm concerned about my Artisans -- some of them are still starving, and they're becoming some of my most Militant POPs (and I can hardly blame them, though I wish they would pick better Goods to make, as some of their brothers are doing okay).

Artisans.jpg

I lower their takes as low as I can with a conservative government, and even lower tariffs to 15% (from 20%). This still leaves us a small positive daily balance.

As the spring season rolls on, we continue to take territory (gradually - represented in the game as a percentage of the province controlled), and to spread out our occupation. We've moved a brigade into Hue, now.

NewFront.jpg

Strangely, it's now that Cambodia decides to enter the war. Dai Nam has finally asked them, and it's difficult for them to say no, since they're a satellite. They may be thinking this is their last gasp, or that they can destabilize our occupation by opening a second front where we don't have any troops.

I do already have a regular infantry brigade in service. I begin recruiting another in Bangkok -- the Cambodians won't have time to reach our capital before this brigade is ready, and I expect he'll be able to hold off one or two brigades of Cambodian irregulars, just by himself. I'm not terriby worried, even as Cambodia's three brigades march into Battambang and begin trying to take control of it.

TakingCovering.jpg

Meanwhile, as summer begins, I've succeeded in taking Vinh and Thanh Hoa, which frees up armies to begin running south to meet the Cambodian incursion.

One of the brigades under construction in Dai Nam (there's a second in Hue) finished building, but since I had my army sitting there the new enemy brigade was caught with no organization and immediately forced to surrender (because if you have literally 0 organization and are defeated, you must). The same will happen in Hue once it finishes recruiting. This can be disastrous for a country with no active armies, as they can lose those under construction too, as we're seeing here.

I'd begun spreading my occupation south, into Tourane, but once I got there I could see there must have been a third recruiting brigade hidden by fog of war, because he's coming north from Pleiku, and will arrive by the beginning of July.

Runaway.jpg

I'm in luck that I can make it back to Hue before the enemy reaches Tourane. The two low-strength brigades might be able to hold him off if it comes to battle. Unfortunately, Hue has plains as its terrain, which has no combat modifier. Tourane would have added a modifer for its jungle, but I think my odds are still better reinforcing in Hue rather than waiting in Tourane with a smaller force.

Hue.jpg

The battle is joined in mid July, and it almost seems as if I might succeed in beating him back because he has low organization (newly created units have this problem). But his die rolls are good, and I can't hold. By July 18 he somehow manages to totally defeat me (all of my brigades surrender). His die roll was good enough he may have actually destroyed most of my unit in the first round of combat (I was losing 400 troops per day), and had little left to stand against him in the second round, which would mean I'd lose no matter what my die rolls were.

This is a setback, but not a decisive one. My larger army has left Haiphong's occupation for another day and is rushing south to plug the gap. The enemy won't be able to move into my territory, or even to reverse my gains.

The randomness factor in battles with smaller amounts of troops seems really high, and also generally results in my army being wiped out!

How much of an issue is Cambodia going to be? You might want to focus on crushing Dai Nam's ability to wage war before dealing with Cambodia--especially if they're only besieging one province at a time. Remember, there's a good bit of low-supply jungle between them and Bangkok.

Things seem to be progressing well in spite of the latest small setback. Nice to see Cambodia finally joining the fray. :D

When I played Siam I could never increase relations by more than +15 with any country. In fact, it was always +15 and it always worked. I see you increased relations with the UK by +21.
Strange...

Always gotta like Rensslaer AAR's, especially ones from back in the day of V1.