• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thesaguy

Private
25 Badges
Jul 6, 2010
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Hi,

My 1st time playing any of the Victoria games, and I was wondering how I grab those un-colonized neighbors of mine?

Also, how do I take land from other countries? I declared war with the intention of conquest and that did not work.

Thanks.

You have to set a national focus to colonize.

You can only get unoccupied regions once your technology allows you to expand your colonisation. There's a liferating value for each province. At the beginning you can only colonise places with liferating 30 or more (and there are almost none in the world). Once you research technologies like 'Machine Guns' and 'Nationalism and Imperialism', which decrease your liferating requirements, you'll be able to expand.

To get territories you must state that as a wargoal once you declare war. For civilised nations you can choose Acquire State for example, for uncivilised nations you can also choose Establish Protectorate. Beware the Infamy hits if you don't have a valid Casus Belli.

You have to add wargoal when you declare war, there should be about 5 bars on the right side of the declare war screen yuo click on.

Thanks,
How do I set the national effort to colonize? It's currently grayed out.
What tech do I need?

I used the war-goal of conquest, but that did not work.

The colony has to be either adjacent to one of yours or within range of your nearest naval base. You need the life rating to be high enough as well. Medicine, Machine Gun, and one other reduce necessary life rating so you can colonize more.

I think you need acquire state. Which country is this, out of curiosity?

Thanks Ex M,

I'm playing Transvaal, down in South Africa, since, I'm south African.

The Zulu keep killing my settlers, (Test appearing), so I tried to take them over, but once I killed their guys and parked my soldiers on his province until it was sub dewed or something, it did not become mine. What else should I do.

The colonies I tried to colonize were all the once above me, they are all empty.

Thanks.

African colonies are uncolonizable until around 1870ish for a power like USA, because of Life Ratings.

You need to be a GP or a secondary power to colonize.

You negotiate for peace to gain control of the territories you want, or whatever, and end the war.

Thanks Ex M,

I'm playing Transvaal, down in South Africa, since, I'm south African.

The Zulu keep killing my settlers, (Test appearing), so I tried to take them over, but once I killed their guys and parked my soldiers on his province until it was sub dewed or something, it did not become mine. What else should I do.

The colonies I tried to colonize were all the once above me, they are all empty.

Thanks.

You can only colonize if you are in the top 16 nations. Research culture techs to get prestige for that. You will need to include the annex wargoal to annex them I believe.

African colonies are uncolonizable until around 1870ish for a power like USA, because of Life Ratings.

You start able to colonize empty territories with a liferating of 35. Most of Africa is 15. The following techs lower liferating:

Medicine (by 5)
Nationalism and Imperialism (by 10)
Machines Guns (by 10)

Since you need to lower by 20, you need at least N&I and MGs - and since MGs is only available in 1870, you'll need to wait until about 1871 before you can start colonizing those lands.

You start able to colonize empty territories with a liferating of 35. Most of Africa is 15. The following techs lower liferating:

Medicine (by 5)
Nationalism and Imperialism (by 10)
Machines Guns (by 10)

Since you need to lower by 20, you need at least N&I and MGs - and since MGs is only available in 1870, you'll need to wait until about 1871 before you can start colonizing those lands.

Mmm - Is this all that is required to colonize? I ask because I've researched the 3 aformentioned techs, have plenty of naval bases within range (I'm playing France, date is late 1880s, no one has started colonizing). Finally, I've got unused National Focuses... but the add National Focus button for every African Province is grayed out. When I select the colonization map mode, most of coastal Africa appears green (meaning it is at least in range of my nearest naval base, does this also mean I *should* be able to colonize?)

Thanks for the help ahead of time, I appreciate any tips or things I may have overlooked

Also,

Since waiting on Colonization is going to take so long, how do I take over the Zulu.

Declear war with goal of "something about un-civilized annex", I attack and kill his troops, he surrenders, but the colony does not become mine. Why, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Well first, you should mouse over the NF button and see what it says is the problem.

And second, it's not so much the Techs themselves, but the inventions they unlock. For instance, Medicine unlocks Prophylaxis against Malaria, which is what brings it down by 5 points.

Mmm - Is this all that is required to colonize? I ask because I've researched the 3 aformentioned techs, have plenty of naval bases within range (I'm playing France, date is late 1880s, no one has started colonizing). Finally, I've got unused National Focuses... but the add National Focus button for every African Province is grayed out. When I select the colonization map mode, most of coastal Africa appears green (meaning it is at least in range of my nearest naval base, does this also mean I *should* be able to colonize?)

Thanks for the help ahead of time, I appreciate any tips or things I may have overlooked

Make sure the requisite naval bases aren't currently undergoing construction; if you take a Level 2->3, you won't be able to colonize from it, even if the territory is 150 away.

Other than that, make sure that you select a coastal province when adding the focus. The entire state colonizes, but the focus must be placed on a coastal province (or else you get an out of range tooltip).

If that doesn't work...I got nothin'.

EDIT: Dr Zoviet brings a point...kinda. Medicine doesn't reduce the liferating straight, but both N&I and MGs do, and you only need those two.

Also,

Since waiting on Colonization is going to take so long, how do I take over the Zulu.

Declear war with goal of "something about un-civilized annex", I attack and kill his troops, he surrenders, but the colony does not become mine. Why, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

You need to make peace. Zulu isn't a colony, it's a state.

Also,

Thanks.

AFAIK you have to annex them by making a peace. Once you control all their land, you go to the peace window, you press your war aim (annex), and it should work.

I am having the same problem. Belgium, naval base 3, life rating is low enough, but I cannot colonize. When I hover over province it says "nearest base Bruge" then 154/300. (the 300 is in yellow). Am I missing some other tech or requiement?

I am having the same problem. Belgium, naval base 3, life rating is low enough, but I cannot colonize. When I hover over province it says "nearest base Bruge" then 154/300. (the 300 is in yellow). Am I missing some other tech or requiement?

Are you sure it said /300? All mine say x/100. My ships list 300 as their range, but I think all colonies can only do a range of 100.

Is the base at Bruges under construction?

Are you sure it said /300? All mine say x/100. My ships list 300 as their range, but I think all colonies can only do a range of 100.

All your naval bases must only be Level 1. You must upgrade them (for which you need the technologies on the far left of the tech tree).

Status
Not open for further replies.