• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Short, but I thought it was a nice overview of a recent game I played:

My current SAR game has been pretty challenging. I annexed Modena almost right away, but then both FRA and SWI beat me up and took Savoie and Provence (Nice). After a heavy course of industrialising I managed to become a GP and took back Nice from the Swiss, but shortly after I began to gather the Italian nations into my SoI SIC also become a GP. Italy became a political battleground for two competing Italian powers while Austria and France menaced them from either side. I joined a brief war with Austria in the mid-40s on the same side as SIC, but it ended in disaster and a WP.

In the late 1840s FRA was involved in a war and wracked by revolts, so I siezed my chance and took back Savoie. Emboldened by this success I brought matters to a head in Italy and forced SIC to recognise my hegemony in a fairly brief war, knocking them back down to a secondary power.

By 1858 I had every Italian nation bar Parma in my SoI and allied to me. The time had come. War was declared on Austria. At first my army won a series of victorys; the Austrians, South Germans and Parmeans were thrown back and Parma plus the area around Venice were occupied, but then Austria mobilised their troops and my Army was almost destroyed by a flood of imperial soldiers.

In desperation I mobilised my own reserves and called in my allies. Luckily the remains of my standing army (and a +4 defence general) were able to stop too many of my own provinces from being occupied before help arrived, but a Bavarian army occupied Genoa and all the provinces I had taken were liberated.

By 1860 the war was again going the way I wanted. The Austrians and their allies were broken in a series of battles in northern Italy, and by late 1861 it was mostly down to mopping up. Finally, in September 1862 Austria gave in. Italy was reunited at last and took its place as one of the greatest powers in the world:
ita1.jpg

Very nice! My first game was with Austria (Still playing, actually), so I don't know whether I can approve of your actions here. :p

It does seem like everyone loves trashing the Austrians. ;)

Is there a listing of events that give cores? I Know there is the German Unification and the reconquest of Belgium, but are there others as well?

It does seem like everyone loves trashing the Austrians. ;)

In my game as Sardinia-Piedmont the evolution of Austro-Hungarian empire went like this:
1835-1845 True powerhouse! Fought succesful wars against Russia, Ottoman Empire and Prussia.
1846-1856 Austria goes up in flames as rebels start popping up everywhere. I managed to get great power status.
1857-1865 Two succesful wars against Austria. I formed Italy and acquired all of my cores from Austria.
1866- Austria became a buffet for land-grabbing regional powers around it. During wars it fails to stop any of its neighbourghs from reaching their goals and during peace the rebels take control of almost whole empire.

And if you ask me, they deserved it! :D