• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
January 14th, Constantinople. Early evening

Erik walked into the inn that was being used as the mess area. He looked around and saw clumps of people speaking amongst themselves and the senior ranking officers at a table off to one side.

Erik was approaching the bar to get a beer when a strange sound erupted from the table where the officers were sitting. Erik spun quickly and pulled his Rondelle halfway from it's sheath, but when he looked he noticed that the short man had just spewed beer all over the others at the table.

At the sight before him Erik started to howl with laughter. It was not a very pleasant sound and soon everyone seemed to quiet down and look in his direction. Erik noticed this and stood a bit straighter and said, "What, have you never seen a man laugh before."

Erik continued to the bar and his shoulders shook with silent laughter.

Chuch of St. Theodosia, evening

Matthias was quite miserable. He had been ever since he returned to the city. The impending doom was inescapable, and there was nothing to do but think about it. He and the other priests of St. Theodosia had tried as best they could to help the plagued, but there was little to do except pray for and bury the dead. Some of the priests had succumed to the disease, and died.

Matthias found himself envying them. That was a way for a priest to die, doing God's work even unto death. He only hoped, when his time came, he met his fate with half as much grace.

For now, however, he was very much alive, and gathered with the other clergy under an icon of the Virgin. The handfull of priests and monks had made a habit of these meetings. With most of the hierarchy abroad and the rest consumed with the plague, impending seige and keeping the more important churches running, a sort of ad hoc democracy had emerged amoung the clergy at St Theodosia. Matthias was horrified to discover that people tended, for some inexplicable reason, to defer to or consult with him. He rubbed his forehead briefly before speaking to the others.

"Well, it seems to be offical now. The mercenaries are to be billeted here, in the empty buildings and wherever else they can find. The last of them seem to be trickling in, so it seems they'll have enough room without having to pitch some tents in here." They laughed, but earlier in the day, as companies kept coming, he had been sure there would be pikemen dangling from the cieling by nightfall.

"Still, they are right outside the church doors, so we'll have to deal with them." Matthias let the statement hang as if it were a question.

"There'll be some who will be wanting mass and confession, no doubt. There're bound to be some right-thinking Christians amoung them." Said Alexander, one of the monks.

"That can be managed easily enough. They're not the sort I'm worried about. The better part will be Latins, and, if what we've heard is true, Mohammedans. But I'd say a lot probably don't have much fear for any god or man."

"Well, there'll be plenty of time to teach them the way. They'll have not much to do once the siege settles in." Said Alexander

"That's not what good Matthias is trying to say." Chimed in Peter, a priest quicker on the uptake than the sheltered Alexander. "What he's trying to say, whithout alarming us, is that we need to come up with a way to handle looters."

"Looters! Why we're all poor men of God here. What would anyone want to loot us for?" cried Alexander

"St. Theodosia isn't the Hagia Sophia, but we've enough gold and precious things to tempt them. These are men whose hearts are kindled to kill by gold. They may think a church of unarmed men of God a better bargain than fighting Turks for their wages." Said Matthias

"We'll need to keep watch tonight." Peter said.

"And the nights after. Keep the candles lit. If they see someone's inside they might not try to break in." Matthias said as he turned and started towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Alexander cried, quite out of sorts.

"Someone needs to talk with their leader." Matthias replied, and the door swung shut behind him.

January 14th, Constantinople, Early Evening

Jacques grimly picked off a beer-soaked bit of slimy green from his tunic, looking at Roos flatly. "Well, it's a good thing Severus wasn't here for that."

Taking a calming drink of his wine - the wine, if nothing else, was superb in Constantinople - he spoke about something that had been bothering him.

"Sir, some of the men seem to have rediscovered their piety. They may not know their Jesus from their Christ, but they know that the Greeks are sinful heretics and apostates, as bad as Jews and Mohammedans."

Realizing how bad that sounded, he looked around a bit uncomfortably. "After all, they're been hearing that preached to them ever Easter, Christmas, or whenever they make it into a church."

Lochlan grunted. "We'll just keep them in line, like always. Most of them didn't want to fight alongside a Moor when they arrived. Now they probably still don't, but they know better than to make trouble."

Jacques shook his head. "We can't be everywhere, especially if we're spread all along the walls. It would only take a single incident where someone smashed an icon or accosted a priest to turn the population and the army against us. I think they probably remember all too well the last time an army of Franks was invited inside the walls ..."

Renaud took a long sip of beer and everyone flinched. But he swallowed it successfully. "If Frederik's going to be wandering the streets anyway, maybe he could help?"

Grunting, Severus dismounted and stabled Trajan, leaving him in the care of a pair of stable hands who had gravitated to the mercenary camp looking for pay.

He had ridden round the walls of the City, to see her state, and it was as it had been when he had left. Worse, for that matter. A bare handful of men he had seen for the task of holding the walls, entire blocks of the city vacant, save for the rats and the flies. It did, however, allow for the efficient use of cavalry, especially with the outlying orchards and pastures. A roving force applied at any breaches or breaks would help secure the inner walls quite effectively.

Walking into teh tavern, he immediately saw the officers' table, and also immediately saw them look down when Captain saw him. He looked a little...perturbed.

"Where have you been?"

Severus grunted, "Riding round the walls of the City. They could be better garrisoned."

"Having one of my officers take a ride around the city whenever it pleases him isn't standard procedure for this Company, Lieutenant."

Severus' eyes widened, then narrowed as he sat across from Captain, saying nothing. His gaze never broke from the Englishman's.

"The walls could be garrisoned better, but the best way to accomplish that is to shorten the distance we're actually trying to hold. I -"

"The reason why it would have been nice if you were coming to see me, as I'd been told, is because I told Constantine I wanted you in command of all the Byzantine forces in the city."

Severus sat up a bit straighter, leaning forward just perceptibly.

"And he agreed." Captain finished.

Severus simply nodded, leaning back, but a slight smile could be seen tugging at the corner of his mouth. A worthless command, he thought, but surely one to be written of, the last commander of the Roman Army.

"Thank you, sir." Severus replied, and Captain nodded. The other officers looked up, and a goblet of wine found itself before the Greek.

"Roos, Lochlan, Alv." Severus nodded to each of the men in turn as Captain began to outline his plans for the city again.

Renaud took a long sip of beer and everyone flinched. But he swallowed it successfully. "If Frederik's going to be wandering the streets anyway, maybe he could help?"

Frederik lowered the hand he had involuntary raised while the Schwyz drank and gave him a long, suffering stare, “What exactly would you have me do? Hire a merry band of thieves and cutthroats and ask them to keep an eye on the soldiers or icons for us?” Alv started grinning. The merchant continued, “What I can do though, is to spread the word that I’ll want to know if any of our men suddenly has excess money or is trying to sell something that isn’t theirs. I’ll be able to pick up any simmering animosity and get reports on any incidents, but I fail to see how I should be able to prevent them from happening. My best guess would be to talk to both sides before anything happens and make sure that any unbecoming behavior is punished severely.”

Captain nodded, “I’m sure the youngest prince, Thomas agrees, I’ll talk to him and the men in the morning.”

Captain nodded, "I'm sure the youngest prince Thomas, agrees. I'll talk to him and the men in the morning."

Renaud took another long sip of beer. Everyone leaned away. He swallowed it and looked up and around. "What?!"

Captain said, "You really should see a barber about that. A little leeching never hurt, you know." He saw Erik Jaeger standing at the bar and waved him over. The men made room, and several took the opportunity to give Roos more space. The German sat. "Erik, we haven't had the time to get to know you." He looked at the others. "As you're all aware, I've made Erik's men the reserve. Primarily, it's because of his lack of archers, but also because I don't want to dilute his formation. However..."

"Captain?"

One of the mercenaries had appeared at the overflowing table.

"What is it?"

"There's a priest of some sort outside. He says he wants a word with you."

"He does, does he? Well, bring him in, then."

"Er, I tried, sir. He started on about the sins of drink and the Devil's den, and other such stuff... sir. He's a frightening one, that one."

"I see. Did he say what he wanted?"

"No, sir."

Captain looked around the table. "I suppose no one wants to play Captain, do they? Yeah, I thought not." He stood. "Very well, take me to this... priest."

The mercenary leader followed the man outside the tavern, quickly feeling the evening chill. "Damn, I should have brought my cloak."

A voice came from within the shadows of a pillar. "I expected no less from a mercenary."

Captain stopped and peered. "Huh? Show yourself."

A man in a coarse woolen robe stepped into the evening light. His features were young, but lined with years of worry. "You are the leader of these mercenaries?"

"I am."

"Be warned! I know your kind. Thieves and murderers, the lot of you." The man came forward a step and raised an arm. The long, loose sleeve of the robe slid back to produce a bony wrist. He pointed an accusing finger. "You have settled precariously close to the blessed Church of St. Theodosia."

Captain shrugged. "This is where we were... oh, I see. We're thieves and murderers." He crossed his arms. "Look here, Brother..."

"Matthias."

"...Brother Matthias, I have very strict rules against looting holy property, whether it be Moslem, Catholic or Orthodox. If there's any indiscretion, any whatsoever, I'll expect you to report it to me at once."

"And I should believe the word of a common mercenary?"

"Believe what you wish. But, as a show of good... faith, I will instruct my men to vacate the area from your church for one block, in all directions. Does that meet with your approval, Brother Matthias?"

Matthias appeared unconvinced. "We will consider it."

"Do that. In return, I expect you to produce a list of all the Brothers who know anything about medicine and tending wounds..."

"What?!"

"... and I expect to have it delivered to me by tomorrow noon."

Matthias muttered, "Nonsense," and began to walk away.

Captain called after. "Consider it God's work, priest. For by God, there will be enough of it before long." He watched the man stalk back to the church. After a moment the mercenary returned to the tavern.

As he sat down and retrieved his drink, Severus entered.

As Caainpt sat down and retrieved his drink, Severus entered. "Where have you been?" He groused.

Severus grunted, "Riding round the walls of the City. They could be better garrisoned."

"Having one of my officers take a ride around the city whenever it pleases him isn't standard procedure for this Company, Lieutenant."

Severus' eyes widened, then narrowed as he sat across from Captain, saying nothing. His gaze never broke from the Englishman's.

"The walls could be garrisoned better, but the best way to accomplish that is to shorten the distance we're actually trying to hold. I -"

"The reason why it would have been nice if you were coming to see me, as I'd been told, is because I told Constantine I wanted you in command of all the Byzantine forces in the city."

Severus sat up a bit straighter, leaning forward just perceptibly.

"And he agreed." Captain finished.

Severus simply nodded, leaning back, but a slight smile could be seen tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"Thank you, sir." Severus replied, and Captain nodded. The other officers looked up, and a goblet of wine found itself before the Greek.

"Roos, Lochlan, Alv." Severus nodded to each of the men in turn as Captain began to outline his plans for the city again.

"So, now that were all here. Were gonna have to be up early to tour the walls, as I said before. Now, I have some plans in mind for the defense, but before I start, give me your assessments on the situation." Captain said, leaning back in his chair.

The officers glanced at each other, and Lochlan decided to leap in first. "Well, as I see it our basic problem is one of size. Theirs miles of wall for us to cover, that means either we have to spread ourselves very thing, or were going to have to wait to find out where an attack is so we can mass at that point against it." The ranger said thoughtfully.

Taking a sip of his drink, he continued. "Both of these two possibilites have their flaws, and both of them can be defeated by simply throwing more men at more points than we can handle." Lochlan shook his head. "Further, if the enemy broke into the city and hid in on the many abandoned area's, we'd never find them until it was too late. This city is too big for us to know whats going on at all times."

He glanced around, but everyone seemed to be patient enough for him to finish. "There's two other major problems that come to mind, that of communication. Were going to need riders to carry messages if we want to try and hold this place at all. And second, the fact that we lose the benefit of our pike formations fighting on top of the walls. And I think inviting the turk in so we can form up in our pretty formations isn't going to help either." Finished, the scout raised his hand for another drink.

"Anyone else?" Captain asked, looking around the table.

"Anyone else?" Captain asked, looking around the table.

"Not to disagree with Lochlan," Jacques said into the silence, "but the Turks lose many of their advantages as well. Mobile cavalry archers are useless assaulting a wall. And a few men on a wall can hold off a much larger number of men attacking, so the advantage of their numbers is diluted. But ..."

He sighed. "They can afford to buy each of our losses with ten of theirs. If their fleet is as good as their army, they can just starve us out. So we need to keep them from settling into an easy rhythm of causing us casualties, no matter how costly to them, and we need to keep the sea channels open."

Lochlan snorted. "Oh, is that all?"

January 14th. Constantinople. Early evening

"Oh, is that all?", Lochlan snorted.

Alv, being a sergeant, wasn't supposed to be there, but still he cleared his throat.

"Bows. We need bowmen. Good bowmen...", he muttered.

"Pardon?". Captain looked interested.

"Bows, sir. We'd need a few. But as far as I know, arrows will kill even the Ottoman. So we need bows..."

"Against armoured cavalry?", Severus said, while almost snorting.

"Obviously, the bows need to be strengthened. But I'm sure one of the Welsh, Fyrsil ap Faolan, would be more than adept at doing so...", Alv said, while staring at Lochlan. His look said "Give me some help here, old boy"

Captain looked at the Norwegian sergeant.

"Sometimes you surprise me...", he muttered.
"Sorry", Alv said, and withdrew into a corner, embracing his drink. When would he taste some decent beer?

"Obviously, the bows need to be strengthened. But I'm sure one of the Welsh, Fyrsil ap Faolan, would be more than adept at doing so...", Alv said, while staring at Lochlan. His look said "Give me some help here, old boy"

Captain looked at the Norwegian sergeant. "Sometimes you surprise me...", he muttered.

"Sorry", Alv said, and withdrew into a corner, embracing his drink. Lochlan rolled his eyes at his friend, then decided to help him out.

"Actually, Alv may have a point. If we can at least do some rudimentry teaching on how to fire a bow, or even a crossbow, it would add a significant amount of strength.

"Actually, Alv may have a point. If we can at least do some rudimentry teaching on how to fire a bow, or even a crossbow, it would add a significant amount of strength."

Captain cracked a half-smile. "Of course he has a point. It's a very good point. Alv, a wine on me... don't turn up your nose! It's a gift." Captain leaned forward. "Contrary to what you may have heard, the Turk isn't as heavily armoured as you'd think. Remember the type of climate they fight in, and remember the way they fight. Mobility, mobility and speed. You can't accomplish that with heavy armour. No, Alv is right. We need to collect as many bows as possible, even more important, we'll need a substantial stock of arrows and bolts. Jacques?"

"Captain?"

"Can you have Annette coordinate the Byzantine stores with... ah, Thomas?"

"Thomas?"

"Right. You haven't met him. Thomas is the Regent's younger brother. He's our unofficial liason. Treat him well. He's quite eager to please."

LeClerc nodded. "Will do."

"Good. Now, remember, two of the walls protect the sea. We'll only have to worry about the land-wall, for now. That will allow us to concentrate our forces. However, we'll know more after tomorrows tour. Any other thoughts?"

Erik cleared his throat and looked around the gathering, "Well we may not have a need for pike formations, but a pike in a siege is still a nasty weapon. First off they can push any scaling ladders off the wall without exposing your head to any bow fire. Also you can fight several ranks deep on the narrow wall. Meaning, and I'm sure the Swiss will agree, that when, and I mean when, they gain a foothold on the wall they will be fighting more then one or two men abreast, we still have depth."

"Also we start teaching close quarter fighting," Erik pulled his Rondelle and Katzbalger out and placed them on the table. Both weapons were short and fairly lightweight. "Weapons like these will be essential on the wall. The traditional Turk weapons require space to swing, these type of weapons require less space. Combine this with defensive Pike emplacements along the wall we should be able to contain a breakthrough until reinforcements arrive. Now I suggest either the swiss or my men be at those emplacements, we are the most experienced and used to disciplined pike movements." Erik got twinkle in his eye and looked at Roos, "Well as disciplined as a Swiss pike formation could be...." Erik snickered at Roos red face.

Erik looked about the table at the men looking at him. "Well you asked, a pike can be used more then just in formations and like I said I know the Swiss here can attest to such tactics. It's not pretty but it works. Whoelse besides me and my men are used to close quarters fighting?"

Erik looked about the table...

Renaud looked up around him. "Of course my men are perfectly adept at close quarter fighting. I assumed you were talking about the long-range stuff the Germans have been practicing on the ships...besides throwing their weapons overboard and such."

There was a momentary pause and then Alv could no longer restrain himself and chuckled. "Err..."

"Erik has an excellent point of course," said the Swiss lieutenant, cutting him off. "We practice that sort of thing extensively in our siege training - even if his men don't. Also, should any of the enemy manage to reach the killing zone between the walls then a pike formation will cut them down in no time."

Surprisingly, he seemed to have their attention as they were all looking down.

"The main points, in a fortification such as this, will be whether they have any of those massive cannons. If they do, they can shatter a wall from a distance and needn't get too close to us when they do so. We'll need many men to rebuild them after a bombard attack, and since it's safe to do that at night, I'd suggest that the local population be conscripted to assist with that aspect of things. They may resist, of course, but explaining the alternative to them ought to change their minds."

He felt, at that moment, another sneeze coming on but tried to contain it.

"The other thing," he continued, hoping the itch in his nose would go away, "is to be very well prepared for the possibility that the first wall may have to be abandonned at some point."

Severus, he could tell, was indignant at the idea. Nevertheless...

"If it happens, then the critical thing will be to have archers already stationed on the second wall when we retreat. If we do, they can buy us the time and cover to retreat,which means that they will have to quit the first wall early so they're in position. That sould give us the ability to reform and meet the enemy with renewed vigour and push them back again. With a narrow breach, remember, only a limited number of enemy soldiers will be able to attack at any given moment."

The others appears stunned by the outpouring from the normally taciturn man. He returned their stares and wiped his nose, trying to make that persistent itch go away. It didn't help much so he took a deep swallow of ale.

"The most immediate problem seems - at least to me - to be the deplorable morale of the existing forces. They look like they're already beaten. If nothing is done to correct this then they'll break at the first sign of major enemy pressure. We need to give them a spine, gentlemen, and the best way to do that is to...is to..."

He could no longer hold it back and took a desperate swallow of ale in the hopes of conquering it. Captain realised what was about to happen and leaned back behind the others who were, unfortunately, slower to recognize their peril.

*Achew* *Pthlbt*

Severus, unfortunately, seemed to receive the worst of the fresh beer shower...

"Is to give them an early victory," finished Captain.

Renaud nodded, feeling another itch building. He wondered if he was alergic to something...

St. Theodosia's, night

Matthias fumed at himself. He had allowed himself to lose his temper. He had been very good at controlling that. It had been, what, three years since he had snapped like that. He had thought that particular demon had gone to sleep.

Still, he reflected, God loves fools. His outburst had helped him, peversly. The Captain thought he had a madman to deal with, and was eager enough to give him most of what he'd wanted.

It was still foolish, Matthias reminded himself. He was lucky that Captain was not the sort of mercenary to kill a man who offended him outright. Or that his men weren't more drunk, and less easily browbeaten. It was just the singing and carousing inside sounded too much like their compound in Florence where-

Matthias shuddered, and forced himself to turn his thoughts aside, as he entered the door. He found the others still huddled under the Icon of the Virgin. In the candlelight their robes made them look like conspiring senators in Ceaser's senate.

"Well?" Alexander fairly burst.

"They shall stay a block from the church grounds. Their Captain asked that we report any trespasses to him. All the same I think we should still keep watch. If someone tries to break in, then whatever you do don't try and stop them. THey are trained killers and may murder in their panic. Get to the bells and sound them as loudly as you can."

"What good are bells against such men?" Alexander said still flummoxed.

"Bells will wake everyone near by, including the mercenary officers. They'll not be able to look the other way, even if they want to if everyone knows what has happened." Peter said with an approving nod.

"There is another thing. A concession to the mercenaries, but one it is wise to grant. He asked to know which of us are skilled in healing arts." Ordered, in truth, though Matthias chose not to share that with them.

"Well, that's easy enough, unfortunately. It's just me now. Poor Jeremiah, and Zachary, and Ezekial, they all knew more, but they were taken by the Plague." Chimed Alexander.

"Well, they shall need more than just you Brother Alexander, unless you are concealing a multituide of arms! I think that every hand in the city will be asked to take part in the siege. If we are employed thus doing necessary, holy work, then they may not ask us to take up arms ourselves." Matthias spoke as if thinking aloud.

"Let us leave this to the morning. Come, let us divide up the watches."

"Is to give them an early victory," finished Captain. Wiping spilled bear from his place at the table, Lochlan took the time to roll his eyes at Roos before he started speaking again.

"Erik has a point, those close in fighting weapons will be essential. Myself and a few of the older scouts could probably give some extended training to those who need it in that area."He nodded to Erik and Roos. "And just as having pike formations at a critical point, just so might properly armed and trained close quarters groups."

"Thinking of dusting off some of the old scout training you used to do?" Captain asked, smiling when Alv perked up visibly at the sound of that.

"Itwould work, I've gotten a bit fat and slow, but I still remember how to do it all." Lochlans said, shaking his head slightly at the memory of all the men who had thought just because he had gray hair meant he wouldn't be able to get a knife in his hand in time. "Not that I can make everyone a knife fighter, but even making sure everyone has real fighting knife, and holds it correctly could help a great deal."

"Secondly." He weant on. "I think that the issue of abandoning the first wall is a valid one. That will be a chance to bleed the enemy like no other, if were forced to retreat to the second wall, then that space between will have to be a killing ground. And I think it best we start preparation on that as soon as possible."

"Ach, I'm off to sleep! Good night, lad!"

"Good night my friend.", Fyrsil answered blankly, his mind still occupied by all the things that he had seen today. Constantinople wasn't all that he had expected it to be, not after the tales of the Greeks that he had met while studying in Italy.

"It must have been as glorious as in those tales once, though.", he muttered to himself.

The officers' table suddenly fell quiet, Fyrsil had been meaning to make some comments on some of the matters discussed there, but he had been too caught up in conversation.

He turned around.

"Sirs, if I might be so ... bold," he said, and as he saw the entire table looking at him, he became increasingly nervous, "I have some comments to make."

"Speak, son", one of them said.

''Earlier on, Sergeant Alv said something about needing more bows. I think I can provide some, you see, some of the men that joined us later carried at least two bows with them. Furthermore.."

"Two hundred more bows would not be enough, I fear", said Alv.

"Furthermore,", Fyrsil resumed, "when I was young, I spent hours in the workplace of the father of a friend of mine watching the man make longbows. I think I could - if there is suitable wood, mind you - make some, although the quality might not be that great."

January 14th, Constantinople. Early evening.

Alv smiled a crooked smile to Lochlan, while listening to what Fyrsil had to tell. The ranger raised an eyebrow to acknowledge that his help had been appreciated.

Alv felt good. Not only did the drink make him warm, but what seemed as defeatism and sadness had turned to optimism and initiative.

He resisted the temptation of a "I told you so", and instead took a deep swig of the wine Captain had offered him.

"Fyrsil, I'd be more than happy to assist you in getting such things, but wouldn't this normally be the business of a certain Danish merchant?", Alv said.

The others chuckled at Frederik being a "merchant". If there ever was an excellent agent, it had to be Frederik.

"Furthermore, I might need to start a trade on my own, as I'm getting old. Bowmaker sounds like a nice occupation", Alv grinned. "So I think I'll study your work, Fyrsil ap Faloan...".

"If you don't mind, Lt. Lochlan?"

"Fyrsil, I'd be more than happy to assist you in getting such things, but wouldn't this normally be the business of a certain Danish merchant?", Alv said.

The others chuckled at Frederik being a "merchant". Frederik smiled at the Norwegian, “Nah, that’s too mundane for me, that will have to fall in the category of ordinary supplies, ask Annette or the quartermaster. But if you would like it I could leave a list of merchants that will only cheat you a little and deliver a fair quality of goods.“

“Now if you’ll excuse me gentlemen, I think I’ll get started at what Roos terms wandering the streets and see if I can get something up and running in a few days.”

He made his farewells, finished his beer and left the tavern. As he started walking down the street a small shadow left a port across the street and started following.

Wiping beer from his face, Severus shot Roos a dirty look, but quickly turned to Lochlan as he began putting his ideas out for consideration. The idea of abadoning the first wall, proposed by Captain and Lochlan, was beginning to grow on him. It wasn't something he found great pleasure in, but given the numbers and state of the defenders, it was a necessity.

"I agree with Lt. Lochlan." Severus began after the Welsh bowman - he had never caught his name - made a suggestion to Alv. It seemed a good one, though Severus intended to see that as many of the Greek defenders got composite bows from the disbanded catephracts as he could.

Continuing, he spoke on, "The first wall should be abandoned, we have neither the number nor quality of forces we would need to hold it. I think the men-at-arms, possibly even the Mongols and Moors should remain mounted and serve as a reaction force to any breachs by the Turks."

He paused, taking a sip of wine, then continued.

"As for morale...I think the best way would be to lead through example, really. They need to be shown discipline, confidence, even a little arrogance again. That can all start in the morning when we arise at dawn and begin drilling them."

Captain nodded, and the other officers began to break into groups, talking amongst themselves and with Captain. Severus sat back, took another sip of wine, and looked around the tavern. Such an eclectic group, yet rarely had he fought with any that apporached their skill or inclination to the arts of warfare.

Silently, he began running through his plan for tomorrow morning.

January 14, Night in Constantinople

Frederik crossed through the deserted quarters of the town, past the ever vigilant clergy in the large churches into the less fortunate parts of the city behind the docks. Once he got near that part he took of some of his clothes and exchanged for something more discreet. Then he stopped and thought through his approach, he could come as himself, but then he would have to be careful not to do anything to place that identity in danger. As Frederik Hviid he was know in these circles as a small time player not anything overly criminal, but someone to trust. Other of his aliases had more sinister reputations, but there the danger was that he would be in town as both Frederik Hviid the merchant and aid of the Free Company and as the second identity at the same time.

After a few moments he continued, this was important enough to go as the Frederik Hviid they knew, a successful merchant with connections in their world, trustworthy and with a few not so legal actions in his past. He reached the right street and entered a surprising sturdy looking tavern.

Once inside he went to the bar and ordered a wine, when the owner of the bar brought him his drink, Frederik leaned closer and whispered something to him. The man looked closely at him, but said nothing, he proceeded to serve his customers until he reached the end of the bar, then he disappeared behind a curtain, a few moments later he reappeared and gestured for Frederik to enter the back room.

The back room was well appointed with cushioned chair, lots of candles and only a few select tables on the carpet-covered floor. There was only a few men present in the room, one a heavy set man just inside the curtain rose as Frederik entered, “your knife and sword please”, Frederik handed both over and the man sat down on his stool again. A slim serious looking man at the back of the room rose to his feet to greet Frederik, “Signor Hviid, it has been to long, please have seat and pour out that pigswill they serve in the front room and let me pour you something else.” The man took Frederik’s drink and gave him a fresh one from a decanter on the table, “Thank you Romario, it has indeed been to long since I last ventured to this marvelous city and your lovely establishment.” Romario smiled, “You flatter as usual, Frederik, let me finish my business with these gentlemen, then I’ll be right with you,” he gestured at a couple of men looking like Greek merchants, and Frederik nodded and leaned back in his chair and enjoyed his wine.

A few moments later all three men rose, bid their goodbyes and the two merchant types left through a backdoor. “Well now, Frederik, what brings you to my humble abode?”

“Nothing special, I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d stop by and reacquaint myself.”

The Greek laughed, “You’re an old liar, my friend, I know for a fact you came on the Cyprian’s ships along with a bundle of mercenaries.”

Frederik silently blessed his luck, not trying to go to one of Romario’s competitors as one of his aliases. Romario already knew he was in town and the company he kept. Well most of the company at least, hopefully his connection with the Free Company was still a bit vague.

“You’re right as always. I did travel with the old sailor, not the worst connection to have in this day and age.” The master thief nodded in agreement, “Now then, Frederik, what can I do for besides telling old stories?”

Frederik shrugged, this was going to be both easier and more difficult than planned.

“I’ll be relatively honest with you Romario. I’ve been employed as a sort of procurement officer for the Free Company, using my trading contacts to establish a supply line for them. That’s very well, but we’re in the middle of a conflict here and I need to protect both my investment and my hide.”

“I can understand that, and now you want me to fill you in?”

“Exactly, part of it is in the area of keeping an eye on that bunch of grunts, I’ll specify the details later, but part of it also to catch anything that is out of the ordinary before it happens to them so I can make the best profit.” Frederik grinned at his companion, but his mind was going very fast now to spin that thin line he had to walk. “I in particular want to know of any possible conflicts between the hired army and the citizens, I definitely don’t want to be caught in the middle.”

The Greek drank of his wine, “I can do that and if it is only relaying information I’ll do it for almost nothing, like one percent of your profits from this contract.”

“That’s fair enough, I’ll just up my prices a bit.”

The Greek looked closely at Frederik, “Most of this you could get elsewhere without paying if I know you?”

Frederik nodded, “True, but I need for you to investigate one thing for me and keep an eye out for anything directed specifically at the Free Company, and that I’ll pay for as it comes.”

Romario shrugged, “If it doesn’t conflict with anything in my line of business I’ll see what I can do, what should I look for?

“The Company has been the target of at least one sabotage attempt stemming from the Venetians, that’s what I want you to look out for, the investigation is private”, Frederik lied, “I’m suspecting the Venetians of knowing something about the trade with the Turks that nobody else knows. I want to know what they know and how, so I can take advantage of it myself.”

Romario leaned forward, “I’ve already heard some rumors on that, these two”, he gestured at the door, “they had similar concerns. I’ll look into it. Now let’s drink wine and talk of old days in Genoa.”

Frederik grinned and they started talking about everything and nothing and not one moment did Fredrik let his guard down.