+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USA: Can't figure out why I can't build factories?

USA: Can't figure out why I can't build factories?

The USA has interventionism where it says I can build factories.

But when I go to the production screen, the option is grayed out.

I looked through techs and I'm not sure what pre-requisite I'm missing? Has anyone else been able to manually build factories as US?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I haven't yet played the demo (or read the manual), but in Vic:rev with Interventionism you could only expand factories.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

You can't if you have Interventionism or Laissez Faire as economic policy. State Capitalism or Planned Economy are needed, but it's unlikely you'll get a ruling party with those policies unless you let conservative or reactionary rebels break the country.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Interventionism means you can expand factories, not build new ones.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Interventionism means you can expand factories, not build new ones.
    Ah. Thanks. That makes sense now.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If I'm not mistaken isn't the biggest advantage of interventionism the fact you can subsidise industry?

I think I remember that in a beta AAR the writer said that with L-F you cannot subsidise your industry.

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy4ever View Post
    If I'm not mistaken isn't the biggest advantage of interventionism the fact you can subsidise industry?

I think I remember that in a beta AAR the writer said that with L-F you cannot subsidise your industry.
    Pretty much this. You can also build railroads.

This is true. Also, you can build railroads on your own, LF can't do that.

I guess it's personal preference, but I like Interventionist best. Some state capitalist in the early game helps you put up the factories you really, really want, even if they're not profitable, that sometimes comes in handy. But if I had to chose one type for the entire game it'd be interventionism.

Again, personal preference probably. I know of at least one beta who swears by state capitalism.
    Last edited by safferli; 11-08-2010 at 21:54. Reason: thanks RELee! :)
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Minister of Peace for Europe Moderator Grosshaus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

That. But also ability to tax beyond 50% can be handy.
    Pity comes for free, but jealousy must be earned - Lauri Tähkä

Hearts of Iron II beta AAR Guardian of Democracy

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Again, personal preference probably. I know of at least one beta who swears on state capitalism.
    Can't be me. I swear at and about state capitalism. I swear by laissez-faire.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    Phishing link to HOI4 site removed.

Quote Originally Posted by RELee View Post
    Can't be me. I swear at and about state capitalism. I swear by laissez-faire.
    Thanks for correcting my English. But you wouldn't like to hear my English, I speak the Queen's English...

And no, I had a different beta in mind...

--

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Thanks for correcting my English. But you wouldn't like to hear my English, I speak the Queen's English...

And no, I had a different beta in mind...
    oh shucks. Your English was just fine. I didn't want anybody to think you were talking about me.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    Phishing link to HOI4 site removed.

+ Reply to Thread