• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just discovered an odd issue, if you copy save games from win to linux the game will CTD if you try to load any of them, nothing major, but can still be good to be aware of. ;)

This really does not work for me. Launcher works fine, but the game (v2game.exe) bails with this:

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Victoria 2\\v2game.exe" failed, status c0000142

message regardless of the method of starting it (directly or via launcher). I've tried all methods I could think of to install it none work, would someone please post _complete_ instructions on how to install everything properly (as none of the instructions currently explain how to get dotnet without using either the installer provided with the game or using winetricks).

You have obviously solved your problem by downloading msvcr80.dll and put it in the V2 app folder. I also tried that and failed.

My solution was:

Code:
mv ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/msvcr80.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/msvcr80.dll.bak

This is what the wine bug mentioned in the original post tells us to do. Basically the file does not belong in system32.

I had previously installed msvcr80.dll via winetricks.

Last edited:
Does anybody managed to have music (not basic sounds which work) working on linux?

I also installed "windows media player" via winetricks, thinking about some codec issues, and WMP works fine, but still I had no music in game.

I've to say that I've no music in EU3 too, so I guess I'm missing something in wine configuration..

I got it !!!! :) :) :)

I manage to have
- sound
- music
- launcher (yes, with the easy moddir support)

working on linux :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now let's try to put everything in a clean and easy way.

1. Start with a clean wine installation
2. Install Vic2
3. When it asks to install dotnet , say yes. It may fail, don't care about it
4. When it asks to install directX say yes. It should not fail.
Start winetricks

you need to install
- d3dx9
- d3dxof
- directmusic
- dotnet20 (yes, again.. it failed after all)
- gecko
- devenum
- quartz
- wmp9 (media player 9, you may try with wmp10, if you want, but 9 works!)
- dsounfbug9612 ( is the same of MaxShadowSize=0 via regedit)

Go to the Wine menu,start "Wine configuration" and check the "Audio" tab. It should be (or propose) Alsa sound. Just say yes, "Apply" and close.

Now, in the Wine menu there is a "Explore C: drive" , go to the fake "Windows\system32" directory and get rid of "msvcr80.dll" (delete it, or rename in something like msvcr80.dll.bad )

Enjoy the game !!!

Last edited:
Little update.
I still have to investigate, but wine.1.3.3 (on maverick 10.10 beta) I had to use the quartz.dll and devenum.dll from a true win installation. :wacko:
Oh well, not a big deal....

Hi everyone, I have a little problem.
I followed all the instructions of Kliwarrior and, after several attempts, I managed to get the game started.
I chose "single player", then the Country and I click on play. It starts loading the game and only at this point I receive the message from Wine that there is a problem and the game can not start.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance

PS: I am a rooky with Linux (Ubuntu 10.010 Maverick Meerkat), so please explain everything step by step, so that I avoid making stupid questions... :-(

Hi everyone, I have a little problem.
I followed all the instructions of Kliwarrior and, after several attempts, I managed to get the game started.
I chose "single player", then the Country and I click on play. It starts loading the game and only at this point I receive the message from Wine that there is a problem and the game can not start.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance

PS: I am a rooky with Linux (Ubuntu 10.010 Maverick Meerkat), so please explain everything step by step, so that I avoid making stupid questions... :-(

No one? :-(

I tried Kliwarrior's advice, but now I have no sound at all (used to have the effects etc.). I'll have to examine the matter more closely when I have the time.

Come on guys, any ideas???
Did you read this post as well? I had a similar problem before I did.
Little update.
I still have to investigate, but wine.1.3.3 (on maverick 10.10 beta) I had to use the quartz.dll and devenum.dll from a true win installation. :wacko:
Oh well, not a big deal....

Just discovered an odd issue, if you copy save games from win to linux the game will CTD if you try to load any of them, nothing major, but can still be good to be aware of. ;)

Not having this game, I can't know for sure, but I wonder if maybe the line endings could be a problem. UNIX-like OSes such as Linux, *BSD, and Mac OS X end a line with one character, '\n'. Windows ends with '\r' and '\n'. Another possible issue is character encoding. Any half decent text editor will have a built in feature to convert line endings from Windows/DOS to UNIX. You may as well give this a try.

EDIT-my EU3 save games are in ISO-8859-15 character encoding, and have DOS line endings. EU3 loads them just fine. Perhaps you could try matching these settings.

Did you read this post as well? I had a similar problem before I did.

Yes of course I did, Kliwarrior updated the post with the new dll to install. ;-)
Before, it was not even starting after the launcher, now it starting, but when I try to play a game, I have the error. :-(

I do own the CD-Rom-Version in German Language. Tried several "how-to-install" on Ubuntu. All complicated - nothing of it worked.
Kliwarrior's genial ways to make it run - still works fine. Even on brand new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x86_amd64.
Instead of "winetricks" for convenience used actual "playonlinix" with most actual wine 1.9.9 32bit wineprefix.
only changes to Kliwarrior's gudelines:
- Interpreted "d3dsxof" as "dxfullsetup"
- left Pulseaudio as is
- neither used dsounfbug9612 (playonlinux not offers it) nor have set MaxShadowSize=0 via regedit
- but Playonlinux configure - display - Direct Draw Renderer: opengl
- Playonlinux configure - display - Video Ram Size: limit it to the Ram Size of video card or is Reserved for video if shared memory
starter in Playonlinux can either be "victoria2.exe" (Launcher) or "v2game.exe" (no launcher) both works fine.
only used dlls provided by playonlinux
by "install Application using existing wineprefix" patch 1.3 can be installed.
by copying into game folder then patch 1.4 can be installed.

games works flawless on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS just as it earlier did on windows 7.