• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vanDiemen

gouverneur-generaal
65 Badges
Jan 29, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Victoria 2 & it's demo on Linux

How to get Victoria 2 and it's Demo running under Linux:
(EDIT: Was Victora 2 Demo on Linux)

Both the Demo and the full game runs very good under Linux.
I've only the boxed version of the game, but I guess there will be no problem with installation of gamersgate & co versions.

Installation:
- execute Setup.exe (or Victoria2_Demo.exe) with help of Wine.
- cancel dotnet20 installation when that dialog appears, See why below.
- Install msvcrun2005sp1
- cancel directx installation.

Download native windows d3dx9_36.dll and for the demo d3dx9_40.dll as well (from example: http://www.dll-files.com/) and override them in winecfg. (Set to Native)

Set (string) HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize to the size of your video card's memory (e.g. "512") via "wine regedit"
Set (string) HKCU/Software/Wine/DirectSound/MaxShadowSize to "0" via "wine regedit"

Bugs:
If you install dotnet20 and/or msvcrun2005sp1 via winetricks you might not be able to start the game. See bug:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16577
Workaround is not to install dotnet20 nor msvcrun2005sp1 via winetricks and not use the launcher.

Updates:
Have a look in launcher/launcher.cfg where the URL to updates are located. Version 1.1 installs without any issues.

That's it!

Last edited:
Gaute65 has mentioned it worked with Wine/Playonlinux in the megathread, I'll repost his post here:

Using Playonliux, thats a graphical frontend for wine. Using wine 1.2 .

The performance is fine, much better than HOI3. The only thing not working is music. Must set MaxShadowSize=0 in the registry or the game will not run. I have done the same thing in all other Paradox games and music still worked, so I'm hoping this is just a demo problem.

Did you Install the msvcrun2005sp1 via winetricks or did you use the installation of the game the?

Since although I did exactly the same things you did, the game crashes
on start-up with a visual c++ runtime error. (I am using opsensuse)

Any suggestions?

This is how I install V2.

I'm using Playonlinux, first I set wineversion to 1.2,, then installed the Wine gecko engine and set sound to alsa. Then install, where I said yes to all, .Net chrashed, but directX install just fine. Then did I the soundfix.

That's all.

I install every game in a separate folder, using WINEPREFIX.
I usually start with "WINEPREFIX=~/games/<game> winecfg" and set up alsa for audio. Gecko gets installed then automatically.

I did have problems with visual c++ runtime error when I used winetricks to install it. I didn't manage to solve it, so
I removed the complete vicky2demo installation and started over in an empty directory.

Okay, so I will try to install the visual c++ from the game.

Well, it works now. But only if I do it without winetricks
and get everything from the game. Strange, but nevermind :-D.

Last edited:
How to get Victoria 2 and it's Demo running under Linux:
(EDIT: Was Victora 2 Demo on Linux)

Both the Demo and the full game runs very good under Linux.
I've only the boxed version of the game, but I guess there will be no problem with installation of gamersgate & co versions.

Installation:
- execute Setup.exe (or Victoria2_Demo.exe) with help of Wine.
- cancel dotnet20 installation when that dialog appears, See why below.
- Install msvcrun2005sp1
- cancel directx installation.

Download native windows d3dx9_36.dll and for the demo d3dx9_40.dll as well (from example: http://www.dll-files.com/) and override them in winecfg. (Set to Native)

Set (string) HKCU/Software/Wine/Direct3D/VideoMemorySize to the size of your video card's memory (e.g. "512") via "wine regedit"
Set (string) HKCU/Software/Wine/DirectSound/MaxShadowSize to "0" via "wine regedit"

Bugs:
If you install dotnet20 and/or msvcrun2005sp1 via winetricks you might not be able to start the game. See bug:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16577
Workaround is not to install dotnet20 nor msvcrun2005sp1 via winetricks and not use the launcher.

Updates:
Have a look in launcher/launcher.cfg where the URL to updates are located. Version 1.1 installs without any issues.

That's it!

Some questions
I did follow these instructions but i did install directX when it asked, but not dotnet20 (got error) or msvcrun2005sp1, do i have to install them?
where do you put the d3dx9_36.dll file after download, when i start the game i get error "the working directory doesnt seem to be correct? is it because of the directX inst or because of ms2005?

Thanx

when i start the game i get error "the working directory doesnt seem to be correct?

When I get this error it is usualy that the working directory you try to run the game from is not thesame as the one the game is installed in. Just do 'cd /path/to/game & wine <executable>' the path to the game folder can be reative or absolute, that doesn't matter.

Not getting this to work, tried both with and without winetricks. I not understanding where dotnet comes from in your instructions, I'm not supposed to install it with the game (correct as this method of installing dotnet does not work9, and i'm not supposed to install it via wnietricks, then how am i supposed to run vicky which is a dotnet app?

Some questions
I did follow these instructions but i did install directX when it asked, but not dotnet20 (got error) or msvcrun2005sp1, do i have to install them?
where do you put the d3dx9_36.dll file after download, when i start the game i get error "the working directory doesnt seem to be correct? is it because of the directX inst or because of ms2005?

Thanx

You must install msvcrun2005sp1 and start the game via v2.exe

This really does not work for me. Launcher works fine, but the game (v2game.exe) bails with this:

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT" (8.0.50727.762)
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Victoria 2\\v2game.exe" failed, status c0000142

message regardless of the method of starting it (directly or via launcher). I've tried all methods I could think of to install it none work, would someone please post _complete_ instructions on how to install everything properly (as none of the instructions currently explain how to get dotnet without using either the installer provided with the game or using winetricks).

This really does not work for me. Launcher works fine, but the game (v2game.exe) bails with this:

err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Paradox Interactive\\Victoria 2\\v2game.exe" failed, status c0000142

message regardless of the method of starting it (directly or via launcher). I've tried all methods I could think of to install it none work, would someone please post _complete_ instructions on how to install everything properly (as none of the instructions currently explain how to get dotnet without using either the installer provided with the game or using winetricks).

To solve that problem I downloaded a MSVCR80 zip file off the net. it contained the Microsoft.VC80.CRT file along with 3 other DLLs. I extracted the lot to the game folder and it worked. I know some tutorials say that this isn't recommended, but it's the only way for me to solve that problem. Installing msvcrun2005sp1 didn't help.

Say yes to install .Net, DirectX and ms2005. That's what I did, but I'm using Playonlinux, so that could be the difference

I did this and it work _very_ wierd since it's more or less the same things I've been doing without results twelve times over...

EDIT: The launcher doesn't work now instead, better, but room for improvement.

Last edited:
To solve that problem I downloaded a MSVCR80 zip file off the net. it contained the Microsoft.VC80.CRT file along with 3 other DLLs. I extracted the lot to the game folder and it worked. I know some tutorials say that this isn't recommended, but it's the only way for me to solve that problem. Installing msvcrun2005sp1 didn't help.

Tried to do that accually, didn't work. Plus I still get that error, but the game runs just fine. :p

EDIT: And it's a bad diea to do that, not only because of versioning issues, but also because you have no idea what's accually in the file, could be anything. ;)