Okay so first off kudos to Paradox on the flags they included with the game. Not only did they come up with a unique design for every country and government type, they also made them at a much higher quality than they have in previous games. So well done there you loveable Swedes.
HOWEVER, I am a nitpicky person by nature and there are tons of little historical goofs and weird graphical choices throughout the basic set. The flag pack needs some tweaking and I intend to tweak!
I'm gonna try and stick to these basic principles:
1) Have a different flag for every government type.
2) Use historical flags whenever possible.
3) Make sure ahistorical flags are at least historically plausible.
4) Avoid overly-modern looking flags.
5) Use vector graphics and nice colours. No resized gifs.
6) Have "sharp" edges on crosses and tricolours (i.e. avoid that half-pixel blurriness that you get when a stripe is 21.333333 px high)
7) Draw everything with proper proportions. (So like have an actual 2:3 flag for Great Britain, not the weirdly cropped 1:2 version in the default flag set)
8) Make sure every flag in the pack is legal in Germany and Austria
of course these principles are all wildly contradictory so basically I'll just be doing whatever I think looks good.
UPDATE: I am treating the Default flag like a second Republic flag since it's always used by Democracies. I lay out the rules for the Default/Republic flags here.
THE STORY SO FAR:
1. Canada (CAN, COL, NEW, QUE) - download
2. Australasia (AST, NZL) - download
3. Central America (COS, ELS, GUA, HON, NIC, UCA) - download
4. Greece (BYZ, CRE, CYP, GRE, ION) - download
5. Gran Colombia (CLM, ECU, PNM, VNZ) - download
6. The Southern Cone (ARG, CHL, PRG, URU) - download
7. The Rest of South America (BOL, BRZ, PEU) - download
8. The British Isles (ENG, IRE, SCO) - download
9. Indochina, Etc. (BUR, CAM, DAI, LUA, SIA, WIA) - download
10. Maritime Southeast Asia (ATJ, BRU, JAV, JOH, PHI) - download
11. Mexico and the Caribbean (CUB, DOM, HAI, MEX) - download
12. Yugoslavia (BOS, CRO, MON, SER, SLO, YUG) - download
13. Nordic Countries (DEN, FIN, ICL, NOR, SCA, SWE) - download
14. Central Asian Khanates (BUK, KHI, KOK) - download
15. Transcaucasia (ARM, AZB, GEO) - download
Current Progress: 320/1050 flags (30%)
Still to come: (ABU, AFG, ALB, ALD, ANH, ARM, AUS, AWA, BAD, BAL, BAS, BAV, BEL, BER, BHO, BHU, BIK, BOH, BRA, BRE, BUL, BUN, CAL, CAT, CHE, CHI, COB, CRI, CSA, CZH, DES, DZG, EGY, EST, ETH, FLA, FRA, FRM, GER, GWA, GXI, HAM, HAN, HAW, HDJ, HEK, HES, HND, HOL, HUN, HYD, IND, IRQ, ISR, ITA, JAI, JAP, JAS, JOD, KAL, KAS, KOR, KRA, KUK, KUT, LAD, LAT, LIB, LIP, LIT, LOM, LUB, LUC, LUX, MAD, MAK, MAN, MCK, MEC, MEI, MEW, MGL, MOD, MOL, MOR, MTC, MUG, MYS, NAG, NAL, NAS, NEJ, NEN, NEP, NET, NGF, OLD, OMA, ORA, ORI, PAN, PAP, PAR, PER, POL, POR, PRU, ROM, RUS, RUT, SAF, SAR, SAX, SCH, SFG, SHI, SIC, SIE, SIK, SIN, SLV, SOK, SPA, SWI, SXI, TEX, TIB, TRA, TRE, TRI, TRN, TUN, TUR, TUS, UKR, USA, VEN, WAL, WEI, WLL, WUR, XBI, XIN, YEM, YNN, ZAN, ZUL)
eventually I'm going to go through every tag in the game and make a complete pack, which will be available for download in this post. Until then, I'm just going to go randomly from tag to tag, making little mini-packs.
Like this one here in the very next post!!!