+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [FLAGS] Flag Tweak Mod Pack Conversion... Thing.

[FLAGS] Flag Tweak Mod Pack Conversion... Thing.

sup

Okay so first off kudos to Paradox on the flags they included with the game. Not only did they come up with a unique design for every country and government type, they also made them at a much higher quality than they have in previous games. So well done there you loveable Swedes.

HOWEVER, I am a nitpicky person by nature and there are tons of little historical goofs and weird graphical choices throughout the basic set. The flag pack needs some tweaking and I intend to tweak!

I'm gonna try and stick to these basic principles:

1) Have a different flag for every government type.
    2) Use historical flags whenever possible.
    3) Make sure ahistorical flags are at least historically plausible.
    4) Avoid overly-modern looking flags.
    5) Use vector graphics and nice colours. No resized gifs.
    6) Have "sharp" edges on crosses and tricolours (i.e. avoid that half-pixel blurriness that you get when a stripe is 21.333333 px high)
    7) Draw everything with proper proportions. (So like have an actual 2:3 flag for Great Britain, not the weirdly cropped 1:2 version in the default flag set)
    8) Make sure every flag in the pack is legal in Germany and Austria

of course these principles are all wildly contradictory so basically I'll just be doing whatever I think looks good.

UPDATE: I am treating the Default flag like a second Republic flag since it's always used by Democracies. I lay out the rules for the Default/Republic flags here.

THE STORY SO FAR:
    1. Canada (CAN, COL, NEW, QUE) - download
    2. Australasia (AST, NZL) - download
    3. Central America (COS, ELS, GUA, HON, NIC, UCA) - download
    4. Greece (BYZ, CRE, CYP, GRE, ION) - download
    5. Gran Colombia (CLM, ECU, PNM, VNZ) - download
    6. The Southern Cone (ARG, CHL, PRG, URU) - download
    7. The Rest of South America (BOL, BRZ, PEU) - download
    8. The British Isles (ENG, IRE, SCO) - download
    9. Indochina, Etc. (BUR, CAM, DAI, LUA, SIA, WIA) - download
    10. Maritime Southeast Asia (ATJ, BRU, JAV, JOH, PHI) - download
    11. Mexico and the Caribbean (CUB, DOM, HAI, MEX) - download
    12. Yugoslavia (BOS, CRO, MON, SER, SLO, YUG) - download
    13. Nordic Countries (DEN, FIN, ICL, NOR, SCA, SWE) - download
    14. Central Asian Khanates (BUK, KHI, KOK) - download
    15. Transcaucasia (ARM, AZB, GEO) - download

Current Progress: 320/1050 flags (30%)

Still to come: (ABU, AFG, ALB, ALD, ANH, ARM, AUS, AWA, BAD, BAL, BAS, BAV, BEL, BER, BHO, BHU, BIK, BOH, BRA, BRE, BUL, BUN, CAL, CAT, CHE, CHI, COB, CRI, CSA, CZH, DES, DZG, EGY, EST, ETH, FLA, FRA, FRM, GER, GWA, GXI, HAM, HAN, HAW, HDJ, HEK, HES, HND, HOL, HUN, HYD, IND, IRQ, ISR, ITA, JAI, JAP, JAS, JOD, KAL, KAS, KOR, KRA, KUK, KUT, LAD, LAT, LIB, LIP, LIT, LOM, LUB, LUC, LUX, MAD, MAK, MAN, MCK, MEC, MEI, MEW, MGL, MOD, MOL, MOR, MTC, MUG, MYS, NAG, NAL, NAS, NEJ, NEN, NEP, NET, NGF, OLD, OMA, ORA, ORI, PAN, PAP, PAR, PER, POL, POR, PRU, ROM, RUS, RUT, SAF, SAR, SAX, SCH, SFG, SHI, SIC, SIE, SIK, SIN, SLV, SOK, SPA, SWI, SXI, TEX, TIB, TRA, TRE, TRI, TRN, TUN, TUR, TUS, UKR, USA, VEN, WAL, WEI, WLL, WUR, XBI, XIN, YEM, YNN, ZAN, ZUL)

eventually I'm going to go through every tag in the game and make a complete pack, which will be available for download in this post. Until then, I'm just going to go randomly from tag to tag, making little mini-packs.

Like this one here in the very next post!!!
    Last edited by Thoughtful Punk; 13-09-2010 at 02:55.

PART I - CANADA AND SOME PROVINCES

(oh by the way I'm also going to write up wordy explanations for each flag because I'm obsessive like that.)

Democracy/Republic: There actually was a very-short lived state which called itself the "Republic of Canada" following the 1837 rebellion. Its flag was based on that of France, with two stars representing Upper and Lower Canada and a crescent moon representing the clandestine Hunters' Lodges that fought for the liberation of Canada from the British.
    Monarchy: In EU3 and HOI3, 1:2 ratio red ensigns were just squashed to fit the ~2:3 or 1:1 ratio in the game. Not very pretty. V2 improves on this a little by keeping the union Jack scaled at 1:2 while resizing it to be half the width of the flag. This removes the squishing aspect, but makes the flag look weirdly proportioned and empty. The canton in this pack is specifically drawn to look good at 46x32 pixels (as near as I can get to a quarter of the flag). The particular Canadian Flag I'm using here is the official model that was used between 1868 and 1921, which didn't have the crown or the wreath of maple leafs.
    Communist: This is a more "old-school" version of the Communist Part of Canada logo, with different colours and a less-stylized maple leaf.
    Fascist: The National Unity Party of Canada had a well-known flag with a swastika in the centre. But since swastikas are like totally illegal I've replaced it with the Canadian Army badge that Paradox used in its basic flag set.

Democracy/Republic: No particular historical basis for this one, I just think it looks a bit nicer than that "REPUBLIC OF COLUMBIA" flag. The straight-ray sun is supposed to resemble the one on BC's arms.
    Monarchy: Basically the flag that Paradox included with the addition of a white disc around the badge.
    Communist: Ahistorical design with hammer and sickle inside a full version of the sun from the modern BC flag.
    Fascist: Paradox's design, but with the EU3-style German Eagle replaced with a much more Canadian-looking lion passant.

The modern BC flag is included as COL_bonus. And a blue Ensign with BC's original badge from 1870 is included as COL_bonus2.

Democracy/Republic: The tricolour, same as Paradox.
    Monarchy: The Newfoundland red ensign from 1904.
    Communist: A generic hammer and sickle in Newfoundland Tricolour colours. Newfoundland did have a green tree on pink as its flag at one point, but it was flown by the Native Society, which was established "to protect the imagined rights and privileges of landed planters from the flood of newcomers". So ideologically it doesn't make much sense as a communist flag.
    Fascist: It does however make perfect sense as a fascist flag. I've taken out the lozenge on Paradox's version and added in the clasped hands which were apparently on the historical version.

Newfoundland's original flag from 1862 is included as NEW_bonus.

Democracy/Republic: The Patriote flag, same as Paradox.
    Monarchy: The Carillon flag, but with the fleurs-de-lis correctly on the diagonal instead of upright.
    Communist: The FLQ flag. It's a bit outside the historical period, I know, but I don't think the design looks TOO anachronistic (no more so than the one Paradox provided, anyway).
    Fascist: This is the flag of a group known as the Chevaliers de l'Indépendance. Again, it's a bit out of the time period and I don't think these people were particularly fascist or anything, but Quebec didn't have a home-grown fascist movement. And come on, doesn't that flag just scream "evil Quebec"?

This one also comes with three bonus flags. QUE_bonus is the modern Quebec flag, QUE_bonus2 is a plain blue flag with the 1868 badge of Quebec in the centre (kind of like a blue ensign minus the union jack), and QUE_dominion is a blue ensign.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling. Here's a mini-pack containing new flags for all four Canadian tags: http://www.mediafire.com/?lqvdbfv8872b8ku It even works with the Demo! (Not that you'd be likely to see any of it.) Install by unzipping them to the /gfx/flags/ folder.
    Last edited by Thoughtful Punk; 14-08-2010 at 05:33.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

very good, I'm doing something, looking for information and update the flags, there are some serious errors, the Colombian Communist flag has drawn a AK47 .... Why not try to unify the efforts of the people who like the issue of flags in a megamod? (Translated by google)
    No tengo ninguna estima por el hombre que a los veinte años no ha sido nacionalista o comunista.
    Alphonse Daudet

60 games registered

I am not a fan of flags sets that don't include the original flag in one of the possible four revolutionary flags, and I think you could come up with something creative for the fascist canada instead of the Army emblem. But your work otherwise is good. There maybe should be a blue ensign for Quebec if its released by the British as a Dominion.
    AARs:
    Barrett's Privateers - A Nova Scotia Victoria AAR - Dead. Planned for resurrection

Mods:

Second Modernity
    Explore the years 2036 to 2136 with this mod of Victoria II
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

Quote Originally Posted by Verenti View Post
    There maybe should be a blue ensign for Quebec if its released by the British as a Dominion.

How's this? I've added the TGA to the zip in the first post. Can't imagine it'd be the most popular flag in Quebec though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krispa40 View Post
    Why not try to unify the efforts of the people who like the issue of flags in a megamod?
    There's probably going to be a megamod coming out of the V2V thread at a certain point.

60 games registered

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Punk View Post

How's this? I've added the TGA to the zip in the first post. Can't imagine it'd be the most popular flag in Quebec though.
    Likely not, but I doubt Queen Victoria would allow them use a revolutionary flag, after she graciously granted them autonomy
    AARs:
    Barrett's Privateers - A Nova Scotia Victoria AAR - Dead. Planned for resurrection

Mods:

Second Modernity
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

I suppose that's a fair point.

Anyway, more flags:

PART II - AUSTRALASIA

Democracy: The Australian Federation flag (This was the default AST flag in Vicky 1, I think.)
    Monarchy: The basic Australian flag, modified to be at the right proportion.
    Republic: I'm not sure the Eureka flag makes total sense as a fascist flag, so I've moved it here and replaced the super-modern Kangaroo flag.
    Communist: Again, a stylized kangaroo doesn't exactly scream 19th century to me (or communism for that matter.) This is an ahistorical design with a crossed Pickaxe and Spade instead of a hammer and sickle. You know, miners or whatever.
    Fascist: This is a historical variation on the Eureka flag used during anti-Chinese riots.

I've also included a set of state flags in the pack, just in case any Australian modders are looking to use them. A black version of the Eureka flag is included as AST_fascist2 and a different version of the communist flag is included as AST_communist2.

Democracy: The United Tribes flag.
    Monarchy: Standard NZ flag.
    Republic: The Republic flag in the game is a proposal from like 2002 and the Fascist flag doesn't look very fascist. I've moved the Silver Fern here and used a less stylized representation.
    Communist: I have no idea where Paradox's design came from. This one is kind of loosely based on it I guess. The single red star on the white disc is replaced with a southern cross on a white disc and I've added an "NZ" at the bottom. Also, the whole thing is now with simple stripes instead of that weird curvy... thing.
    Fascist: This is a New Zealand Neo-nazi flag with the offending cross in the centre replaced with the stylized silver fern from Paradox's fascist flag.

The pack also contains the black version of the United Tribes flag as NZL_bonus.

Download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qd4kh6ql9lqoe1x
    Last edited by Thoughtful Punk; 14-08-2010 at 05:41.

Ordnung muß sein Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Flag mods are always nice !

I don't know how big this thread is going to be, but it might be a good idea to have links to the different packs in your first post. That way people can easily find them, especially when this thread gets bigger.

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

Anyone want to make some alternate california flags based on the pear?

Maybe when the full game is released someone could also add in an event so that if California forms you could choose between the two sets?

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the Throne

Historical or not, that Canadian republic flag is incredibly ugly. I'd have to change that.

Austen

I suppose that's a fair point.

Anyway, more flags:

PART II - AUSTRALASIA

Default: The Australian Federation flag (This was the default AST flag in Vicky 1, I think.)
    Monarchy: The basic Australian flag, modified to be at the right proportion.
    Republic: I'm not sure the Eureka flag makes total sense as a fascist flag, so I've moved it here and replaced the super-modern Kangaroo flag.
    Communist: Again, a stylized kangaroo doesn't exactly scream 19th century to me (or communism for that matter.) This is an ahistorical design with a crossed Pickaxe and Spade instead of a hammer and sickle. You know, miners or whatever.
    Fascist: This is a historical variation on the Eureka flag used during anti-Chinese riots.

I've also included a set of state flags in the pack, just in case any Australian modders are looking to use them.
    I dunno if the eureka design works well for a republic. I always thought this flag would be the best option:

Darkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Blog Entries
    PART I - CANADA AND SOME PROVINCES

(oh by the way I'm also going to write up wordy explanations for each flag because I'm obsessive like that.)

Default (and Monarchy): In EU3 and HOI3, 1:2 ratio red ensigns were just squashed to fit the ~2:3 or 1:1 ratio in the game. Not very pretty. V2 improves on this a little by keeping the union Jack scaled at 1:2 while resizing it to be half the width of the flag. This removes the squishing aspect, but makes the flag look weirdly proportioned and empty. The canton in this pack is specifically drawn to look good at 46x32 pixels (as near as I can get to a quarter of the flag). The particular Canadian Flag I'm using here is the official model that was used between 1868 and 1921, which didn't have the crown or the wreath of maple leafs.
    Republic: There actually was a very-short lived state which called itself the "Republic of Canada" following the 1837 rebellion. Its flag was based on that of France, with two stars representing Upper and Lower Canada and a crescent moon representing the clandestine Hunters' Lodges that fought for the liberation of Canada from the British.
    Communist: This is a more "old-school" version of the Communist Part of Canada logo, with different colours and a less-stylized maple leaf.
    Fascist: The National Unity Party of Canada had a well-known flag with a swastika in the centre. But since swastikas are like totally illegal I've replaced it with the Canadian Army badge that Paradox used in its basic flag set.
    Why not the modern flag of Canada as the republic flag? And the 1921-1957 flag (1957 variation) as the Monarchy flag?

Also I got several designs for South Africa:

Normal/Monarchy: The de facto flag of South Africa from 1910-1928
    Republic: Modern-day South Africa's flag
    Communist: ANC flag without the ANC logo
    Fascist: Flag of South Africa 1928-1994 without the British Union Jack

So are you going to consider my proposals?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by hoi2geek View Post

Personally...

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. I think this is already in the game...
    3. I prefer the one that's already there.
    4. Keep the apartheid-era flag, but don't change it.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2

My suggestion would be this:

Ordinary/Republic

Communist

(I don't know what the pixel size of the flags in the game is. These flags no doubt would have to be shortened.)

60 games registered

Why not the modern flag of Canada as the republic flag? And the 1921-1957 flag (1957 variation) as the Monarchy flag?

Modern Canadian flag has nothing to do with a Republic. Its a symbol of the Monarchy. Plus its anachronistic, designed in 1964 and by commitee, and ugly as sin. If there was going to be a Republican Canadian flag, it probably shouldn't use Royal symbols and Royal Colours, anyhow.
    AARs:

Mods:

Second Modernity
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

Samuel de Champlain vol. II GregElSho's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Well, Modern-day flag of South Africa is off-the-charts anachronistic (despite its stunning beauty), and OP doesn't seem to be kind with anachronic flags.

Quote Originally Posted by GregElSho View Post
    Well, Modern-day flag of South Africa is off-the-charts anachronistic (despite its stunning beauty), and OP doesn't seem to be kind with anachronic flags.
    Basically yeah, I'm going to be slaughtering anachronisms whenever I think there's a better alternative.

In South Africa's case, I'm probably going to use the apartheid-era flag for Republic and find some Boer flag for fascist. Or possibly come up with something based on the National Party's flag. As excellently designed as the modern SA flag is, it just doesn't fit the period. (Plus the modern flag is already in the game and there's no fun in modding in what's already there.)

Quote Originally Posted by gws5597 View Post
    (I don't know what the pixel size of the flags in the game is. These flags no doubt would have to be shortened.)
    The size is 93x64.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: Revolutions

Basically yeah, I'm going to be slaughtering anachronisms whenever I think there's a better alternative.

In South Africa's case, I'm probably going to use the apartheid-era flag for Republic and find some Boer flag for fascist. Or possibly come up with something based on the National Party's flag. As excellently designed as the modern SA flag is, it just doesn't fit the period. (Plus the modern flag is already in the game and there's no fun in modding in what's already there.)

The size is 93x64.
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly dose one go about making a flag that will work in the V2 engine (punny...)? Can I do it in paint, or is there a program, or what?

Thanks.
    The Gate to the East: Byzantium Rising
    Vic:R 1.04 Greece/Byzantium | Last Updated: 8 October, 2012

My Inkwell

Quote Originally Posted by Legosim View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly dose one go about making a flag that will work in the V2 engine (punny...)? Can I do it in paint, or is there a program, or what?

Thanks.
    It has to be the right size (93x64), have the proper file name and be in .tga (targa) format. You need something a little more advanced than Paint in order to do that.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Great work! Do you mind if I provide your Canadian flags with the Canadian Flavour Mod that I'm working on? Also, did you have any thoughts on the flags for the Metis Confederacy (MTC)?
    "A series of parabolas is plotted out, the mortar supporting one leg and exploding Germans supporting the opposite. Ask a Russian engineer to design you a shoe, and he'll give you something that looks like the box the shoe came in. Ask him to design something that will slaughter Germans, and he turns into Thomas ----ing Edison."
    —Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

A Mari Usque Ad Mare: a Canada Flavour Mod for Vicky II. Now updated for AHD!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast