+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is Tactical Attack?

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

What is Tactical Attack?

For air generals one of the Traits they can have is Superior Air Tactician which gives a ten percent bonus to Tactical Attack. What exactly is tactical attack? Does it apply to Air to Air Combat or Air to Ground or Both? I can't seem to find this any were in the manual.
    "Any society which would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Do you mean "Superior Tactician"? No "Superior Air Tactician" listed on the wiki

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Leader_traits

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by evilgenius748 View Post
    For air generals one of the Traits they can have is Superior Air Tactician which gives a ten percent bonus to Tactical Attack. What exactly is tactical attack? Does it apply to Air to Air Combat or Air to Ground or Both? I can't seem to find this any were in the manual.
    When HOI first came out that trait carried no modifier. Somewhere around 1.3 they gave it the tactical attack bonus. I have seen several threads pondering what "tactical attack" is. I have, as yet, heard no definitive answer to your question. In hoi2 the trait gave a bonus to air to air combat. Since they gave the trait to the same generals in HOI3 as they did in HOI2, I have always assumed that the effect was similar. It would be cool if someone knows and posts though...
    Hodor.

I just double checked in the game and the word air is in the name so I guess not. Its strange that Superior Air Tactician isn't listed on wiki though. Its also an air general's trait so the effects are probably not the same.
    "Any society which would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarayakat View Post
    In hoi2 the trait gave a bonus to air to air combat. Since they gave the trait to the same generals in HOI3 as they did in HOI2, I have always assumed that the effect was similar. It would be cool if someone knows and posts though...
    I always assumed the same thing to but I never saw it actually effect anything. It makes sense though, if in HOI2 the stat worked that way.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Hearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by evilgenius748 View Post
    I just double checked in the game and the word air is in the name so I guess not. Its strange that Superior Air Tactician isn't listed on wiki though. Its also an air general's trait so the effects are probably not the same.
    It is also skipped over in the rule book. As mentioned, in HOI1&2 it gave a bonus in air to air combat.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There was a thread about this one or two weeks ago. After some tests made by Slan it seemed that this trait gave no bonus at all. At least not one that was reflected in the combat modifiers.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

The trait was added in a later patch, can't remember which one. There were two "superior tactician", one for navy and one for air. The air general had a navy "bonus", which was obviously wrong.

I can't recall the effect of superior air tactician. I think it's similar to the naval tactician that it does not give you a "measurable" bonus, but an increase in combat effectiveness nevertheless.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Would it reduce the stacking penalty for air units? It'd work similarly to the naval trait's positioning bonus that way.

in the traits.txt file we have these

Code:
    tank_buster = { 
    	defender_softness = 0.2
    }

carpet_bomber = { 
    	strategic_attack = 0.1
    }

night_flyer = { 	
    	night_attack = 0.1
    }

fleet_destroyer = { 
    	naval_attack = 0.1
    }

superior_air_tactician = {
    	tactical_attack = 0.1
    so im going to suggest that tactical attack is increasing the attack of tactical bombers or just attacking land units in general

Tactical Attack

"What exactly is tactical attack?"

In simplest terms, tactical attack would be "blowing up" enemy units.

Strategic attack would be "starving enemy units" to death. In broader terms - strategic attack would also include starving the enemies ability to create new units, either by blowing up the factories or starving the factories of resources necessary for unit production.

Tactical attack is attacking combat units: infantry/tanks/artillery/destroyers-battleships.

Strategic attack is attacking enemy means to create or supply units:

Strategic attack on creating units would be an attack primarily at industry. although attacking infrastructure and resource convoys which supply industry is also arguably a strategic form of attack.

Strategic attack on means to supply units would be attack on infrastructure carrying supplies to front line units, and attacking supply convoys carrying supplies to enemy ports (which "feed" the combat forces supplied by the port)

Lastly, you could argue that encirclement is a form of strategic attack since its objective is to destroy enemy means to wage war (units) by the method of "starving" enemy units of fuel and supplies - as opposed to destroying the enemy units by "direct contact" forms of attack (tactical attacks) such as superior air/ground/naval attacks.

So a bonus to tactical air attack means greater force when hitting units.

A bonus to strategic air attack would mean greater force when hitting infrastructure - factories - ports - air fields etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DBynum1 View Post
    "What exactly is tactical attack?"

In simplest terms, tactical attack would be "blowing up" enemy units.

Strategic attack would be "starving enemy units" to death. In broader terms - strategic attack would also include starving the enemies ability to create new units, either by blowing up the factories or starving the factories of resources necessary for unit production.

Tactical attack is attacking combat units: infantry/tanks/artillery/destroyers-battleships.

Strategic attack is attacking enemy means to create or supply units:

Strategic attack on creating units would be an attack primarily at industry. although attacking infrastructure and resource convoys which supply industry is also arguably a strategic form of attack.

Strategic attack on means to supply units would be attack on infrastructure carrying supplies to front line units, and attacking supply convoys carrying supplies to enemy ports (which "feed" the combat forces supplied by the port)

Lastly, you could argue that encirclement is a form of strategic attack since its objective is to destroy enemy means to wage war (units) by the method of "starving" enemy units of fuel and supplies - as opposed to destroying the enemy units by "direct contact" forms of attack (tactical attacks) such as superior air/ground/naval attacks.

So a bonus to tactical air attack means greater force when hitting units.

A bonus to strategic air attack would mean greater force when hitting infrastructure - factories - ports - air fields etc.
    This is why I wanted to know what the actual in game bonus is, because as you said, tactical attack could apply to both air to air and air to ground. However it seems that the trait really doesn't do anything based on other replies in this thread. Oh well, at least the Icon makes it seem like the general is better.....
    -Benjamin Franklin

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSword of the Stars II
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Well, it at least looks better than the air commanders with the Super Tactician trait (10% naval positioning bonus). I've seen quite a few of those. You'd think PI would copy/paste their trait names instead of typing them out and risking a typo...
    The Historical Plausibility Project - 1.0.4 (final) for HoI3, 2.04 (final) for SF, 3.0.0 (final) for FtM, 3.3.2 (beta) for TFH
    Alt-History: Code Geass Timeline - v1.8 for Victoria 2: A House Divided (final), v2.2 for Heart of Darkness, based on the Pop Demand mod

My AARs:
    Banner of the White Sun - an HPP 1.0 (final HOI3) Nationalist China AAR - DONE
    Teutonic Dreams - an HPP 1.7.3 (mid-SF) Germany AAR - Done
    Jiěfng Zhnzhēng - A Chinese HPP 2.04 (final SF) AAR - Done
    Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan HPP 2.6.71a (mid-FTM) AAR - Last update April 16, 2013 - Abandoned

My information thread about ww2 naval expansion for the world's naval powers, large and small. Last update August 22, 2013; reworked the Soviet entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Poobah View Post
    Do you mean "Superior Tactician"? No "Superior Air Tactician" listed on the wiki

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Leader_traits
    Er, I just checked the wiki you quoted. There is no "Superior Tactician" for air units there, but there is in the game. The Superior Tactician in the wiki is only for naval units, so the wiki actually doesn't help answer this question.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    War of the Vikings

if you guys have hoi2 pull up a tac bomber stats; there is a tactical attack stats. however this isn't in hoi3. in hoi2 there use to be soft, hard, tactical, strategic.

I know the HE111 had a tactical attack of 11.

my memory is a little gray on this since its been like 2 yrs since playing hoi2.

the tact stat helped with interdiction and logistical and runway bombing.

+ Reply to Thread