• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How come you took Pyongyang instead of the northern part? Where all the iron and coal is o.o

I probably should have, but until you mentioned it I hadn't even noticed it. :rolleyes:

I simply saw the two iron provinces that Pyongyang has and grabbed them. That said, I'm glad I didn't end up sharing a border with scary westernised China.

Still getting used to this whole international bully-boy thing that comes with making GP status.

nicely done with Russia there,
V2_MAP_SPA_1893423_1.jpg

Who is it that can into Aussieland there?

Just goes to show how freaking stacked the UK is... I mean you have a mega-empire and the UK still has far more points that you.

If the mega UK bothers you, you could try the alternate history mod, I've thought of it myself, but I don't really have the space to keep two copies of vicky so I was waiting for 1.2 and the mod folder, that waiting was in vain though. :/

My Prussia-NGF-German Empire in 1879. I have like 579 Infamy, yet no one will attack me (Except Britain, But I got Machine guns and Gas...they don't). The nasty German-Austrian War of 1858 just hit Austria hard, causing it to collapse and then eventually get SOI'd by me and annexed. Between 1859 - 1869, I decided to conquer Italy. I then started eating up some more land (Slovenia, Bohemia). I am now the second most powerful in the world, capable of making successful invasions of the British Isles. Oh and look, Poland's number 7!

(Other non-important Land gains; Bali, Florida, African Colonsation. Panama, Flanders, and Wallonia are satellites and SOI.)
V2_MAP_GER_1879109_1.jpg

V2_MAP_GER_1879109_2.jpg

V2_20.jpg

I think you just inspired me to go on an infamy-be-damned rampage. Totally fed up with the continued existence of Austria and its SoI (especially because winning brother's wars means I get locked out of the south german nations by way of truces :( ), I need to give them what for, and I have been continuously deterred by 10 infamy per province. Time to light them up. I already easily disptached them and France at the same time and I have grown since then.

So, back in 1.1 I recreated the Roman Empire. Now, with the Byzantine decisions in 1.2, my goal would obviously be to take Greece and recreate the Byzantine Empire, at its height under Justinian:

800px-LocationByzantineEmpire.png

So, here it is, what after the revolution is known as URT, the Union of Red Themes:
byzend2.jpg

byzend3.jpg

So I haven't gotten the Balearic Islands, Corsica nor Malta. The first two because I'd have to take all of Catalonia and Provence respectively to get those, which I didn't want to do because that'd exceed the Justinian lands too much. Malta because frankly, I never managed to make the British give it up, always ending up with WP. Also, I took some land outside of the Justinian lands, namely southern Egypt and Sudan, northern Persia, northern Philippines and Sakhalin. These I took while trying to hold on to GP status as Greece early on, with the help of some free CB's.

byzend.jpg

In the end, I didn't manage to beat France for the #2 spot, staying some 3-4 thousand points behind. Would've made it with a longer time limit, thanks to the good healthcare introduced by the Communist Party after the revolution of '26 and the increasing labour supply it gave the nation. The UK was just out of bounds for most of the game though, with a score roughly equal to that of all the other Great Powers together.

China? Really, they civilized? Amazing o.o

Yup, all on their own, no meddling from me. Pretty cool if you ask me, except that they almost pushed me out of GP status, that's what pushed me to go over the infamy limit, beating up Spain pretty roughly to get them out of GP position in turn, in order to stay #8.

Veovis said:
Union of Red Themes? What is this I don't even...

Was that modded in?

ETA: Oh I get it. A "theme" is a Byzantine administrative district. I must learn to use Wikipedia before I run my mouth.

Yup, i was surprised too when the name changed, didn't know anything about Themes before that. Wikipedia helped me too :)

TAoD said:
I still cant figure out how he even got the empire to form. Its extremely hard.

Sure is, I didn't make it in my first attempt either, this was my second run after going to around 1900 as Greece in a previous game. I'd say that early on, you'll want to a) get prestige for GP status and b) get a bigger population base, mainly for soldiers.

First, research Freedom of Trade. Then, research nothing until 1840 and then immediately research Idealism for the research boost and the prestige techs. Pray to all the gods that you get several 20 prestige inventions, that'll probably propell you to GP status. In the meantime, beat on uncivs. Starting with Egypt is the obvious one, grabbing Crete and then a few more states, preferrably Palestine, Lebanon and Dumyat. Also, annex Tunisia and Algeria before the French snatch them up. This'll give you a slightly bigger population base, with Freedom of Trade this will help your economy support your military expansions. Hopefully, you'll get a couple more soldier POPs. Also, thanks to your bigger economy, you should be able to build up a navy stronger than the Ottos. Use it to beat their navy and then block the bosphorus while their army is on the other side, occupying your Middle Eastern lands. Then, occupy the entire western part of the OE. You should get at least Thessalia and Western Macedonia. Repeat five years later for the rest of your cores.

Use the reactionary party to get State Capitalism and build a few basic factories, one per state or so. It won't give you much early on but every little bit of score is important to stay a GP. You should use your NF for clergy in whatever state has the biggest population, in order to boost your research. Focus on cultural techs to get prestige and faster research. Also, you'll need Nationalism & Imperialism for the Megali Idea decision that gives you more cores on the OE. When you've got that far, military techs might be a good idea, in order to get more out of your small army, especially later on when you'll have to go past the infamy limit to get the rest of the OE. For as long as you can, avoid to go above it, since your low military score will invite every GP to beat you up. Try to pick the OE apart by freeing states to avoid the high infamy cost of grabbing them. You'll probably get at least one border incident for a free state from them, too. After all, you need land in order to get more soldiers in order to get all of the OE.

When you finally annex the OE and declare BYZ, well, it's all up to you! Remember that you need to be a GP to enact the decision, so if you're slipping behind, try to beat up whoever is ahead of you, humiliation works best since it's infamy-cheap.

Also, if you plan on expanding to grab the rest of the Byzantine lands, I'd recommend hitting the Italian states early, before Italy has formed. I made the mistake of waiting, and that made the process of retaking Italy longer. Also, if you have the opportunity to let a communist revolt win, do it, since it'll let you get good healthcare which will be really imporant to boost your pitiful national population size.

Ottoman Empire looks so much better in that colour ;)

Also..... Ukraine is in the game? Didn't know that.....

I saw them in pretty much every game in 1.1 when Russia was always overrun by rebels.

So I finally finished my first Victoria II game! :D
V2_8.png

I became communist only in 1930. I guess I could've defeated the revolt, but most of my fully mobilized armies were fighting the French in West-Africa, so it would've been a pain. The result of the revolution was a great utopia though, so no harm done. ;)

Untitled-2.png

I had countless wars with Austria-Hungary, two wars with Italy, and four wars with with France (only one of which was by my choosing).

V2_MAP_GER_193611_2.png

No badboy btw.. too scared of the UK. :p

Last edited:
I became communist only in 1930. I guess I could've defeated the revolt, but most of my fully mobilized armies were fighting the French in West-Africa, so it would've been a pain. The result of the revolution was a great utopia though, so no harm done. ;)

Yeah, in my experience it's pretty nice to have the commies in power. You get to enact social reforms like the all-important Healthcare, build whatever factories you want. Also, by the time communists are unlocked and begin to revolt, your cappies have probably more or less built all the railroads you need for you, so having planned economy won't be a problem for that reason.

Great Power USCA and Columbia? CSA holding half of the USA but not being a GP itself?
And is that a USA Papua New Guinea?

Cool Map you have there.

Colombia and Italy kept competing for GP status, though I purposely knocked Italy down a notch because they were interfering with my sphere of influence. ;) Which is why I have Venetia, the Ottomans have Calabria, and Lombardia is released.
Mexico, USA and the CSA had a lot of wars between them, but they mostly ended with white peace. Note that the UK has gobbled up a lot of the USA, yet the USA was still at second place until the late 1920ies!

Also, Austria-Hungary wasn't that big for most of the game. I had previously released Slovenia and Slovakia as buffer-states of sorts, but once I became communist and my I lost my sphere, the states in my previous SoI did all kinds of crazy stuff. Austria-Hungary annexed Slovenia and Slovakia, while Ethiopia invade and annexed a part of Egypt! BTW, Egypt had some awesome rebel issues, and switched from liberal, to anarcho-liberal to fascist in just a few months! Austria-Hungary (who became fascist during the invasion of Slovakia and Slovenia) weren't even close to becoming a GP again, so I didn't mind that they took back these countries; at the end of the game they were safely in my SoI again. ;)

I actually did try to play *somewhat* realistically, even though the game doesn't exactly encourage it. I probably wouldn't have grabbed Franche-Comté if I weren't trying to weaken the French, which wars alone really doesn't in this game.

And is that a USA Papua New Guinea?
So it is. :p

Last edited:
Behold! My German Empire!

After patch 1.2 Britain went crazy and passed me in score >.<. Before that I was first by a large margin

V2_MAP_GER_1910126_1.jpg

V2_5.jpg

V2_4.jpg

As you can see, i stopped caring about infamy awhile ago

Last edited:
Babylon has funny Ruling party names. The (Hanging) Garden Party lol