+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 151 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 101 ... LastLast

Thread: EU3toVic2 / Vic2toHoi3 Converter Project

EU3toVic2 / Vic2toHoi3 Converter Project

This is the EU3 to V2 Converter Project. This project converts a save game from the end of EU3 into a save game at the beginning of V2, both vanilla and AHD. While there are a few features left to complete, it is completely usable.

Looking for the V2 to HOI3 Converter Project? It's now over in this thread.

Important Links
    Download
    Converter Mod
    Sourceforge Project

How to Use
    1) Download the converter and unzip it wherever.
    2) Find the desired save file in "[YOUR EU3 DIRECTORY]/save games".
    3) Copy the save game in to the directory of the converter, and rename it to "input.eu3"
    4) Open the file "configuration.txt". In the file there is a line that reads
    v2directory = "D:\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2"
    Modify it so that it points to YOUR copy of Victoria 2.
    5) In "configuration.txt", there is a line that reads
    EU3directory = "D:\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III"
    Modify it so that it points to YOUR copy of Europa Universalis III.
    6) Run "EU3toV2Converter.exe". This will create a file in the converters directory called "output.v2".
    7) Copy "output.v2" to "[YOUR VICTORIA DIRECTORY]/save games" and run Victoria 2
    8) Load the output game and immediately save the game. Then resign, and load that game.
    9) Enjoy!
    10) (optional) Write an AAR so we can enjoy, too!

FAQ
    Q: Which versions of EU3 and V2 does this work with?
    A: This converter will convert EU3 games from as early as IN to as late as DW. It can convert to AHD (version 2.3) and vanilla V2 (1.3 and the 1.4 beta patch).

Q: Will this work with EU3 mod X or V2 mod Y?
    A: Maybe. We didn't develop the converter with mods in mind (apart from our official one), so few will likely work out of the box. However, much of the raw data is pulled from the game installations or our rule files, so it could be adapted for many mods. Any of this work will be left to the creators or the fans of those mods, though we will gladly provide guidance.

Q: Why do many of the country names turn out funny?!
    A: Unless you're using the converter mod, the EU3 and V2 nations don't line up one-to-one. We try to match up the one-to-one nations first, then convert to an available nation in the general region, and if we cannot do either, then we'll use an arbitrary leftover nation. However, if you use the converter mod, this problem is completely eliminated.

Q: Why are the Great Powers all messed up?!
    A: Saving and reloading the game, as directed, will fix this.

Q: I'm getting odd errors, and am using a Steam installation of one of the games.
    A: Sometimes various files just get messed up under Steam. Try clicking Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Q: The converter didn't work. What's wrong?
    A: It's likely a configuration problem (though it's also possible you found a bug). Please post about it so we can help you (or fix the bug). Include a description of what did or didn't happen, the versions of EU3 and V2 you are running, the information in log.txt (copy and paste it, but wrap it in [ code ] [ /code ] tags), and if possible, a link to the save you're trying to convert. These will help us determine what happened.

Credits
    Sid Meier: Coordination
    Idhrendur: Programming
    Dtremenak: Programming
    Maksim17: Programming
    DasGuntLord01: Systems Analysis, Data Files
    Kalelovil: Systems Analysis
    Novapaddy: Data Files
    Khorney: Converter Mod
    Magc8Ball: Flagpack

Special Thanks To:
    Chaingun: Programmer
    SegFaultx64: Programmer
    Dr_V: Programmer/Contributor
    Alfred Packer: Contributor
    Enokmik: Contributor
    King Of Men: Honorary contributor

Development Plan (that is, what we plan to include in future updates)
    2.10 - Province population from EU3 data, pop wealth, pop issues (reforms), correct political party in power at start
    2.11 - CBs, wars, controlled territory, rebels (some of these may prove intractable, in which case we will not include them)

Pop Weight Formula (so we don't lose it)
    Code:
    pop_weight = ( unmodified_base_tax + trade_value / 10 + unmodified_mp /1000 + Is_Exotic ) (*2) + Num_of_Buildings /4
    OP Updated August First.
    Last edited by Sid Meier; 01-08-2012 at 15:28.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Wokingham, England, United Kingdom, 113535295323680, Wokingham
    I can't volunteer but I am very keen that something like this should be done.

If only Paradox would release a game that started at the fall of the Roman Empire and took you all the way through to the end of the Cold War.. I'd love to raise a nation from tribal obscurity to world domination...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Meier View Post
    I would be interested in spear heading this project, I think I got a programmer willing to sign on to make the actual converter itself, but what we need is a team of people, maybe 2 guys per continent willing to make province id lists

link = { eu3 = 123 vic = 456 vic = 789 vic = 101 }

Once this is done that's literally, 95% of the work in making a converter.

Volunteers? Now that the demo is out, I can ostensibly start now.
    I'm making an independent effort in this regard. For the province id matching/conversion process I intend to write a program to automate it. There is a wealth of data in the eu3 province history files (religion, city size, owner, name etc) that I suspect can be used to automatically match provinces with vic2. The only things this will definitely not work for are ocean provinces.

I will probably take a stab at this over the weekend and I can let you know if it is feasible. Failing that I am happy to contribute to a group effort to manually do the matching.

Edit: in addition if I could be so bold as to propose a simpler system of encoding the mapping to make the rest of the converter easier:

EU3ID = VIC2ID[, VIC2ID]...

which would look like in the simple case
    334 = 233

in the case of single eu3 to multiple vic2:
    334 = 233, 455

and in the opposite case:
    334 = 233
    442 = 233

I think this structure lends itself better to the reading/processing loops in a converter - but I am open to comments etc.
    Last edited by Dr_V; 11-08-2010 at 09:54.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by stumason View Post
    I can't volunteer but I am very keen that something like this should be done.

If only Paradox would release a game that started at the fall of the Roman Empire and took you all the way through to the end of the Cold War.. I'd love to raise a nation from tribal obscurity to world domination...
    i think prehistoric mod is planning to do that, you should check out their thread first though just to confirm.

An EU3toVic2 converter would be truly amazing.

What do you plan to do with the starting date? Since EU3 ends in 1820 and Vic2 starts in 1836. Do you simply let it skip to 1836 or do you let the converter make a 1820 scenario for Vic2?

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k club

The ideal would be an option : either the generated save-game start in 1836 no mater what, or if the player activate the option, the generated save-game start exactly where the EU3 party have stopped (even if before 1820). The same should be available to V2 -> HOI3.
    So you could convert your game exactly when you think that it make more sense to change game.

For example, one could think that as soon as the Revolution fire for one major country in EU3 (whatever the date), V2 is more adapted to what will follow. Another could wish to convert it's V2 game to the WW1 mod of HOI3 as soon as a late game Great War start (whatever the date).
    One does not put a king on trial. One kills him.
    One cannot reign innocently: the insanity of doing so is evident. Every king is a rebel and a usurper.
    Saint Just.

There is a lot more work to be done than simply converting the provinces. For instance, the pop files need to be generated in some meaningful way, and this is not straightforward given the way EU3 handles population. One would also have to create flags and national profiles for all the possible new nations.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiShip Simulator Extremes
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I know the EU3->Vic:R converter was a load of work since I participated in it. It took about 2 days to make African and South American provinces match. And that was only the beginning...

It's great if you can manage to make a converter, but be prepared to a LOT of work!
    Owner of Rome CE + VV, CK + DV, CK II, CotN, EU, EU II, FtG, EU III CE + IN + NA + HttT + DW, EU IV, Victoria + Rev, Victoria II + AHD + HoD, Diplomacy, HoI, HoI II + DD + A, AoD and HoI III + SF + FtM + TFH

This is my real avatar.

Since August 2010 I've considered Friday the 13th a lucky day.

I would think, the hardest part would be POPs. The way EU3 handles it, 1) There would be no Jewish POPs, 2) No cultural or religious minority POPs, and 3) all the POPs would have to start as farmers or laborers. Maybe a percentage of the population should start as something else depending on what buildings are located in which province? Like, refinery=steel plant, naval equipment manufactory/shipyard=clipper shipyard, weapons manufactory=small arms/ammunition factory, textile manufactory=fabric factory, fine arts academy=a random luxury good factory, university=a % of your POP in that province will be aristocrats/clerks, a temple= % of your POP in that province will be clergy, workshop= % of your POPs will be artisans, regimental camp=% of your POP in that province will be soldiers, market place=% of your POP in that province will be artisans, tax assessor=% of your POPs will be Bureaucrats, War College/Admiralty=% of your POP will be officers, constable=small % of your POPs will be capitalists, Customs House=% your POPs will be bureaucrats, and finally, if you have a manufactory in a province, a percentage of your POPs should be craftsmen/clerks. All the rest should be laborers or farmers. If there's more then one of a manufactory within provinces that make up a state, then an extra industrial level is added to the factory(example: Fabric Manufactory in Holland, Fabric Manufactory in Zeeland=Level 2 Fabric Factory in the state of Holland). It should provide a rough percentage of POPs in a province. Decisions that have been enacted should also affect the % of POPs in a province. If you passed the school education act in EU3, then literacy should be 20% higher, if you passed the judiciary act. Meanwhile, for revoltrisk, I'd translate every revoltrisk percentage in EU3 directly as a Militancy point in Vicky 2. If you've passed provincial decisions such as provincial courts, then the average militancy should drop.

The POPs system will definetly be the most complicated part......

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    An EU3toVic2 converter would be truly amazing.

What do you plan to do with the starting date? Since EU3 ends in 1820 and Vic2 starts in 1836. Do you simply let it skip to 1836 or do you let the converter make a 1820 scenario for Vic2?
    Either the players of that game will be urged to play an additional 15 years or simply have 1820 = 1836 and don't make any assumptions based on what may or may not have happened.

There is a lot more work to be done than simply converting the provinces. For instance, the pop files need to be generated in some meaningful way, and this is not straightforward given the way EU3 handles population. One would also have to create flags and national profiles for all the possible new nations.
    King of Men who made a EU3->Vic:R converter before who I hope will be joining this project probably knows how to generate them, I'll see if I can dig up his source code.

Whole 50 page discussion here for EU3->VicR
    Last edited by Sid Meier; 11-08-2010 at 17:12.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioThe Kings Crusade
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I can help with the Middle East, Balkans, North Africa & Caucasia. Let me know when everything else is ready and you only need the province matching.
    si vis pacem para bellum Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made.-Otto von Bismarck
    Member of the OTFTRC - Off Topic Friends of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus -------- Istanbul Panorama 360°
    OttoMania - your link to the Ottoman Culture and Lifestyle in EU III
    ................. Neo-Ottomans thread
    Who is this Tunch Khan? I thought Djem de Sayd was the only Ottoman Pretender the Christians had their hands on? ~ aylo1
    To be honest, this thread might as well be closed now. We've seen Tunch Khan - I can't see that there's anywhere else to go from here. ~ Austen
    Turkey in HOI2 - OTTOMANIA ~ Mod and Modular Pack for Victoria 2 - VIEW THREAD
    ........ **Thread Monster** ... History, with all her volumes vast, hath but one page.

I would love to see an Eu3:MMU-Vicky2 converter, as it would give much more information about the pops and a more sensible world... however, MMU is far too controversial to be in the first version of this converter, and all the extra information it has (with the chains of proto-industrialism etc) would make the converter even harder to create.
    "After Napoleon, both lieutenant and Emperor, all destinies are within this century" - Dom Camurro
    --------------------------
    "New Nations Mod" for Victoria 2
    (version 1.00 (30/10))

50 new nations for your Vicky2 game!

We could probly easily adapt Magna Mundi to the converter, MUU provides flags for province things right and give more information? Simply a matter of "if MUU scan for this" and then provides more accurate information for province pop conversion.

In general though we need to start working on the linked id lists sooner rather then later, programming the converter is relatively simple and not as much repetitive or tedious as manually finding an eu3 province and a victoria province to match it.

Is there a way to easily compare provincial ids? Do we need to find a map mod to put the id name in the province name?
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

What we need is a MMtG-V2-HoI3SF converter!
    E: When MMtG comes out, that is.
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

Quote Originally Posted by tuore View Post
    What we need is a MMtG-V2-HoI3SF converter!
    E: When MMtG comes out, that is.
    Not so much as a EU3:HTTT vanilla one though, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    Not so much as a EU3:HTTT vanilla one though, imho.
    This. Magna Mundi is a spinoff game/mod. No need to go offtrack before it's even begun, or else it'll never get done.

I think the first focus should be Vic2 to HoI3, EU3 can come later.

I mean, most people don't even get to 1820 on their EU3 games anyway

Vic2 to Hoi3 is about.... 6 times more provinces which means it would take much much longer, also there's 2 games I'm playing in that are on the CK/EU3 side of the conversion wall which means to my mind there's a higher priority to convert to Vic2 then from Vic2 to Hoi.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWar of the Roses
    Pride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

As far as pops go:

The total population of the province should be proportional to the EU3 population. EU3 probably has the wrong number, but a province that has 800k in EU3 should have twice as many in V2 as a province with 400k in EU3 (or you could go logarithmic or something, to account for urbanization--as long as it makes sense).

EMT0's suggestion regarding having pops reflect the EU3 buildings in the province is sound. +1.

As far as culture goes, the culture of the EU3 province should be the one to which the majority of the pops belong. All nations that have cores on the province should also have some of their pops present, though only a minority. Finally, if the owner of the province is of a different culture and has no core, small pops of their culture should be present. Religion could be treated in the same way.

For cultures that are not present in EU3 (e.g. Ashkenazi), you could either put them in the same places that they are in V2 (assuming that whatever happened in your EU3 game wouldn't have major effects on the Jewish diaspora) or have some function to place them in provinces that meet certain conditions (though that would be prone to stereotyping).
    "A series of parabolas is plotted out, the mortar supporting one leg and exploding Germans supporting the opposite. Ask a Russian engineer to design you a shoe, and he'll give you something that looks like the box the shoe came in. Ask him to design something that will slaughter Germans, and he turns into Thomas ----ing Edison."
    —Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

A Mari Usque Ad Mare: a Canada Flavour Mod for Vicky II. Now updated for AHD!

4.25x was the figure we worked out last time for urban vs rural pops, with weighted numbers to increase the population of higher populated areas in vickky that are lowly populated in Eu3 but have high manpower, like Russia.

Dr_V I think is aiming to look at province history to determine minority/majority caultural pops in a province, this I think could for Jews simply have it if you ever had a jewish province in EU3 then you have Jewish pops there upon conversion even if the culture changed.

The tricky part would be trying to account for Jewish migration around the world, I would say try to get accurate 1836 numbers and just keep it there.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 151 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 101 ... LastLast