• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A more fluid situation than the historic siege of Leningrad - obviously, with its references to house-to-house fighting and tanks rolling off the assembly line and into battle, it sounds a fair bit like Stalingrad. Except that the Germans are nowhere near getting trapped.

Very good stuff. You've beaten back the Germans, but this is nothing like a turning point yet.

By the way, what kind of ship is that naval picture of? I don't know anything about the Red Fleet during World War II, but the triple turrets seem out of place... Please offer some enlightenment. :)

Another great update. I have to say that I’ve read almost all of your AAR so far, from the USSaaR, the Turkish adventure and to the famous B’aar Baa Red Sheep, and I have to say that your style has improved constantly. Congratulations!

A heroic defence!

if you did this by just bombing one province I must say its kind of overpowered, I tried to bomb the logistics in my German campaign but ended up destroying all infra long before the supplies where lost so I decided it was too cheesy.

well as long as u don't get outflanked and cut off,hold the line.
Great update.

Well written and exciting. Quality reading. Keep it comin'!

A more fluid situation than the historic siege of Leningrad - obviously, with its references to house-to-house fighting and tanks rolling off the assembly line and into battle, it sounds a fair bit like Stalingrad. Except that the Germans are nowhere near getting trapped.

Very good stuff. You've beaten back the Germans, but this is nothing like a turning point yet.

ah you spotted it then, yep I translated some of the dynamics of Stalingrad to Leningrad, sat with a decent street map in front of me and tried to think my way as to how to reflect it onto Leningrad.

Actually after round#2, for a long time it did just become a long siege.

By the way, what kind of ship is that naval picture of? I don't know anything about the Red Fleet during World War II, but the triple turrets seem out of place... Please offer some enlightenment. :)

ah, well ... this is where reading some Russian (but not that much) is perhaps a handicap. Yep it is the Marat, and it was on a site with images of the soviet navy, but going back to check it isn't the pre WW1 Marat but a 1970s cruiser. So apols, but in double checking I did find some more WW2 era naval pictures so I'll use them at an appropriate stage :eek:o

I salute the brave defenders of Leningrad.

Very well written, gripping, imaginative. I can see those divisions fighting in those streets, avenues and neighborhoods.

Another great update. I have to say that I’ve read almost all of your AAR so far, from the USSaaR, the Turkish adventure and to the famous B’aar Baa Red Sheep, and I have to say that your style has improved constantly. Congratulations!

Well written and exciting. Quality reading. Keep it comin'!

thank you one and all ... it was an experiment to see what I could tease out of a single battle in a single province - but given Leningrad's importance I felt it warranted more detail than just a start and end date and death toll.

I must admit this is the first AAR I've done (& I include my ongoing CK one too) where I was clear from the start how I wanted to present it, the others sort of developed as I went along and didn't find their own voice or style for the initial pages.

well as long as u don't get outflanked and cut off,hold the line.
Great update.
Well, as long as Leningrad is supplied...
You have quarter of a million men in the city?
They could be in better use methinks...

Ah I do, and get cut off in the end. With hindsight, I should have fallen back in a linear manner and pulled all the troops in Murmansk/Kandalaska out as well. As it is all winter I had good formations doing very little and in the end due to other events I lost something like 8 divisions in a pocket. If you run it with the theatre AI, it just chucks Leningrad away and that may, in the abstract, be the best strategy.

But I sort of wanted a bit of realism and to play with some constraints. So although Stalin hated Leningrad & its relative independence, I think that losing it with almost no fight would have shaken the regime to its core.

A heroic defence!

if you did this by just bombing one province I must say its kind of overpowered, I tried to bomb the logistics in my German campaign but ended up destroying all infra long before the supplies where lost so I decided it was too cheesy.

This is complex so next post looks at the supply position ... at this stage I think the supply model was working as intended and fairly reasonably, all I did was to put the german supply net under stress & gain a short term advantage.

The supply system

This is a short digression but hopefully of some use. Its also a good place to confess to some fiddling I did to a save game file a bit later on.

At this stage, the German AI was allocating about 230IC to supply production (out of 550 - I've just loaded as Germany so its showing lower than it was due to the hard malus). It had a huge dump in Berlin:

and then started to have problems first at the German-Polish border

and then at the transition to the USSR proper.

This shows the position in and around Leningrad:

So its not yet critical (it gets worse for them later on), but its all running short

the reason is the supply model tries to supply the furthest troops first so its diverting supply from the Leningrad offensive to the war of manouvre along the Volkhov

(most of the green patches are my supply they've captured)

and to the battles at Kalinin

Finally heres the infra at Pskov etc, you can see where I've bombed so its adding to the supply tax but not actually stopping stuff getting through

So at this stage it all looks ok.

Now by Jan 1942, their supply net fell apart completely, mainly as the AI couldn't solve the problem of all their gains in the Arctic. So to keep some entertainment, I gave them a stack of supply in Berlin (the production AI was a mess) and a smaller supply/fuel dump at Minsk. I did both because if Germany had been controlled by a player it would have handled the situation quite easily.

The second time the German production AI lost the plot was in June/July 42. That time I just gave them 20000 supply in Berlin and that seemed to sort it out. The problem seems to be that the AI is still not good at interpreting the impact of flows in/flows out of the network.

As a compensation to myself - I added a lump of supply to Leningrad in Jan 42, not enough to do much but enough to stop all the units going to 0 org. I think this helped the flow of the game and the narrative, but it is of course not would have happened purely off the game mechanics.

Hi Loki, been reading your AAR and it is quite gripping and tense. Good to see you are able to hold out against such odds. My only advice would be to hold the centre around Moscow whatever might happen around you. In that way you can still hit them in the flanks once they overstretch themselves. Even if that means losing Leningrad or Stalingrad. As long as you keep Moscow the SU lives and has the advantage. Anyhow, I will be following your AAR, good luck!

ah, well ... this is where reading some Russian (but not that much) is perhaps a handicap. Yep it is the Marat, and it was on a site with images of the soviet navy, but going back to check it isn't the pre WW1 Marat but a 1970s cruiser. So apols, but in double checking I did find some more WW2 era naval pictures so I'll use them at an appropriate stage :eek:o

Turns out, I'm completely wrong. According to Wikipedia, Marat was armed with 12 12" guns, in four triple turrets. So much for my hunches. ;)

Pray for the winter...

or put your faith in the VVS ... (as per next post - an unsupplied Tiger Tank is quite a timorous wee beastie)

Hi Loki, been reading your AAR and it is quite gripping and tense. Good to see you are able to hold out against such odds. My only advice would be to hold the centre around Moscow whatever might happen around you. In that way you can still hit them in the flanks once they overstretch themselves. Even if that means losing Leningrad or Stalingrad. As long as you keep Moscow the SU lives and has the advantage. Anyhow, I will be following your AAR, good luck!

Glad you're enjoying but yes that analysis is spot on. At the end of the day nothing matters so much as Moscow, and keeping a core force intact in and around the city is far more critical than any other area. In so far as I have a strategy at this stage then that more or less summarises it ... oh and bomb their supply chain.

Turns out, I'm completely wrong. According to Wikipedia, Marat was armed with 12 12" guns, in four triple turrets. So much for my hunches. ;)

ah that is reasuring - thought I was seeing things ... good. As is well documented, I'm essentially clueless at things naval, so am quite capable of describing a 1990s nuclear powered aircraft carrier as a 1918 destroyer left to myself.

"Just long enough for Hope to tease" – The Smolensk-Rzev battles August-September 194

If the primary defence of Leningrad had been the streets and houses of the city itself, then the opening defence of Moscow was the bitter fighting at Smolensk and Rzhev where 3A, 8A and 13A combined to try and stop the direct German thrust towards the Soviet capital. Here the upper reaches of the Dniepr, the West Dvina and the western reaches of the Volga combined to present the Germans with a sequence of obstacles and the embattled Soviet defenders with ideal terrain to deflect their assault. The importance of this defense to the Soviet Union was clear.

(The Motherland is in danger)

However, seeking to describe this as a separate battle merely repeats the fundamental flaw in many military histories where the need to impose order and neat distinctions is so important. In reality this should be seen as little but a continuation of the earlier battles waged between Daugavipils and Minsk and as a direct bridge to the next stage in the defence of Moscow – the battles at and around Kalinin. Equally in terms of the area of operation there was no clear distinction between this operation and those at Bryansk to the south. The ebb and flow of each influenced the operational decisions of the other.

By early August, STAVKA had managed to build up a strategic reserve of some 15 rifle divisions (some motorised). These were a combination of units withdrawn from the Far East, freshly raised (and not very well trained) formations and some pulled out of the line for refit after the Velikie Luki battles. This was organised under the notional command of the 1A. However, three related crises faced the Western Front – the collapse along the Volkhov, the direct attack at Smolensk and the potential breakthrough at Byransk. In the end STAVKA decided to ignore the German drive towards Archangelsk and Vologda – any resistance would have to come from the forces already in region. The 10A holding Bryansk was reinforced by pulling troops out of the Ukraine (where briefly the German offensive seemed to have stalled) so as to protect Moscow. In the event, most of this strategic reserve was fed into the Smolensk-Rzhev battles and the rest used to start to construct a defence at Kalinin.

The relative strength of these three armies is misleading.

Some of the armoured forces were significantly under strength (5 and 12 Mech combined had less armour than the notional complement of a single Mechanised Corps), some were shell formations awaiting freshly raised divisions (10th Corps) and almost all had badly understrength rifle divisions under their command.

The first two weeks of the operation till mid-August broadly favoured the Soviet defense, although Smolensk itself was abandoned on 7 August.

However, by mid-August the flank of 8 Army was starting to be turned as the Germans pushed forward from Demyansk. This led to abandoning favourable positions such as Verkhnedneprovskiy where 21 Pzr was being held and in turn Marino and Selizhavoro were lost in late August. Rzev itself fell on 26 August and the central part of the front was under severe pressure.

A brief respite was offered by the German decision to push their forces eastwards towards Kalinin and Jaroslavl. 5 and 8 Heavy armoured divisions spearheaded this assault and despite a tenacious defense first at Kryuvhkovo and then at Mednoye, it seemed as if this diversion would lead to the envelopment of the entire Soviet front in the sector.

(Tiger at Kryuchkovo)

However, this took the Germans into an area with poor roads, intense Soviet resistance and well within range of the Pe-2 bombers that preyed on their supply lines.

The Germans started their assault on Kalinin on 2 September and Koniev gradually fed in fresh troops from the STAVKA reserve. As at Leningrad the ability to rotate forces in and out of intense urban combat was key to the Soviet success. Equally, if the small number of KV1s had been key at Leningrad, here Koniev made astute use of the SU-76s.

(SU-76s moving into ambush positions)

In urban combat, well dug in, these made even the feared Tiger Tanks advance with caution (a caution increased by their lack of fuel).

(destroyed Tiger in Kalinin - an increasingly common sight as Soviet anti-tank tactics improved)

(Soviet counterattack at Mednoye, led by SU-76s)

The month long battle ended on 3 October, not only did Koniev manage a remarkable victory, he did so with relatively few losses on the Soviet side – only 2,910 Soviet dead compared to 5,704 Axis.

(unlike the Germans, Soviet troops at Kalinin were at least kept well fed)

In reaching for Kalinin before they had completed the destruction of the Soviet defenders in the Rzhev sector, the Germans had fallen short of both. Their weakened forces at Rzhev had to withstand a major Soviet counterblow from 10 to 22 September. At the end 13 Army had suffered almost 6,000 dead (and killed almost 4,000 Germans) for no gain – except to throw the Germans onto the defensive at a time when they were reaching for a strategic victory.

(part of 13A's heroic if doomed counteroffensive)

Equally the reserve 1 Army had had time to shore up the line to the east of 8A, occupying the line of the Volga and Jarolavl. The makeshift nature of this defense being emphasised by the use of air dropped paratroopers just in time to hold the bridges over the Volga.

(1 Army at Yaroslavl)

Thus by the end of September, briefly, the German offensive aimed at the Northern flanks of Moscow had run out of steam. A combination of a well organised defense, a major counterattack and the VVS had brought respite. The VVS has flown constant combat support (with the Sturmoviks), raids on the German rear and the Moscow PVO squadrons challenged every German bomber raid.

Given the differing goals of the two armies, the end result was a major Soviet victory. Yes the Red Army had been driven back, yes the Germans still held the initiative, but equally their first attempt at a knock out blow at Moscow had ended in defeat. And a bloody defeat too - 28,666 German soldiers had been killed in ground fighting alone, probably another 2,000 in Soviet air-raids. Their Italian and Hungarian allies had lost a further 1,464. Soviet dead amounted to 29,878.

October and November were to bring fresh crises all along the Volga-Dniepr line, but as at Leningrad, the RKKA had given the Soviet Union hope that the Germans could be held. And if they could be held, they could be defeated.

Excellent stuff, very good updates, especially the one regarding the defence of Leningrad. Very bloody, intense fighting. Heartening to see such a strong showing from the USSR, hopefully you can continue to do well against the Axis advance. Oh, and...

your wish is but my command ...

Excellent! My wish is for you to send me a PM forthwith containing your bank details!

Excellent! My wish is for you to send me a PM forthwith containing your bank details!
Seeing how loki100 has mentioned several times he's self-employed, and the general state of the world economy being piss-poor (not, perhaps, the best time to be self-employed), I doubt that is going to be the windfall you're hoping for. :)

On an AAR-related note: very hard fighting, being pushed back slowly but steadily. But hey! It's October! Any time now the mud and snow will come to your rescue, right?!?

I must commend you on your selection of photos: I'm sure you put a lot of time into finding the right ones, but you make it look easy - period and story-appropriate pictures that really enhance the writing. The Tigers, the SU-76s and... Oh my God! Is that a woman straddling a soldier behind that Maxim machinegun in the last picture?!*

*I do apologize. I really do. ;)

Nail-biting stuff! Seems like the Axis war machine is starting to lose a lot of it's momentum. Perhaps the turning point approaches after this new crisis is resolved?

The "Battle of ..." events have definitely improved the game: those defined as 'decisive battles' by propangandists on both sides during the war had a big effect, and they had these effects exactly there as portrayed in the game: the home front. Not so much directly on the fighting capabilities.
Well done that man! (and PI) :)