• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks like the Koreans are really bad fighters, losing a whole 12k army with only a few hundred Japanese casualties. Or were there some other factors contributing to the result? It's pretty decisive victory when both sides are uncivs and there's probably not that much difference in tech.

I would say that is because their troops were irregulars while mine are regulars. But in a later battle I am not as decisively as is the case here.

Any idea where I can find my BB/Infamy-rating?

In diplomacy menu, click on your own flag so that information about your nation pops up, and then click on "show wars" tab at top. To the right of the listing of the various active wars, your info regarding infamy should pop up.

Thanks. Doesn't it have anything to do with unit-experience and won battles as well?

Nope. Later ship types also add to it though.

Veld's already mentioned where to see you infamy rating, so I'll just add you can quicky jump to you own diplo page by clicking your flag at the top left in case you didn't notice that yet. You can also click on the flag of any nation your at war with in the top diplo box to jump to their diplo screen with the show wars toggle set :)

Since I saw you have the strat guide I'm not sure what other tips I could add right now. Perhaps just that while you're an unciv states taken from other uncivs become full states, but once you're civilised any more you take will be colonial states. And if you need more prestiege for becoming civilised go beat up one of the minors in the area with the humiliate war goal.

And if you need more prestiege for becoming civilised go beat up one of the minors in the area with the humiliate war goal.

Thanks a lot for this tip and the other pointers!

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter V: In the meantime, back in Japan

Having raised this – for Japanese standards – massive forces, my budget was out of the red again and I could relocate some of it. I decided to give the peasants a break and cut the 60% taxes back to 50%.
In March 1841 we 'discover' Freedom of Trade. One of the three discoveries needed to become civilised. On top of this Freedom of Trade gives a big bonus to export. Thus the income through gold is doubled and I have money enough for a long, long time.

5juzox.jpg

2ywfond.jpg

I quickly start my research on 'Rights of Man' which will give me another point in National Focus which might be useful in the future when I want to promote capitalists.

123rwnl.jpg

The new-found wealth enables me to spend more on education and Administration, both at 100%. This means my administration will become more and more efficient and people will be educated, enabling them to take jobs in the middle-class as well as netting me some more research-points. Correct me if I am wrong please.

142vpkx.jpg

One last thought to end this chapter with. When combining two armies, make sure to pay attention which general commands which. On more then one occasion I found myself with a secondary commander commanding the main army. He was in an unconquered province and thus could not be replaced with his better colleague until the province was completely subdued. Just a minor note.

From what I've heard, education is money you pay to "clergy" POPs and administration is money paid to "bueauraucrats". I believe you're paying their salaries. If I'm not mistaken, there's a reason not to give 100%. They don't need that much, the excess will be wasted, and they'll get angry if you reduce it again. I think. Your admin will be efficient, but I'd guess you'll make those jobs too atractive, and everyone will want to be clergy and bureacrats?

From what I've heard, education is money you pay to "clergy" POPs and administration is money paid to "bueauraucrats". I believe you're paying their salaries. If I'm not mistaken, there's a reason not to give 100%. They don't need that much, the excess will be wasted, and they'll get angry if you reduce it again. I think. Your admin will be efficient, but I'd guess you'll make those jobs too atractive, and everyone will want to be clergy and bureacrats?
This is the way I understand it:

100% instead of 50% spending should mean that in the long run you will have twice as many bureaucrats and clerks (perhaps even more if the cost is changed by the amount of pops).

More Bureaucrats means more efficient tax collection, more crime fighting and more effective social spendings (last not relevant this early).

More Clerks means more research.

Id say both are wanted badly to civilize (more research and more money).

More education and administration spending doesn't give any immediate bonuses, nor does it guarantee anything. It makes POPs more likely to promote themselves to Bureaucrats or Clergy because you're paying more to each individual Bureaucrat or Clergy POP.

That being said, in your case it doesn't seem like a bad choice to be encouraging the growth of the bureaucratic and intellectual class to the extent that you are with your slider settings if you can afford it.

This is the way I understand it:

100% instead of 50% spending should mean that in the long run you will have twice as many bureaucrats and clerks (perhaps even more if the cost is changed by the amount of pops).

More Bureaucrats means more efficient tax collection, more crime fighting and more effective social spendings (last not relevant this early).

More Clerks means more research.

Id say both are wanted badly to civilize (more research and more money).
I believe someone pointed out that an early dependency on really high handouts to those POPs will create a very large, largely unneccessary and highly demanding special interest group that controls your nation. If I were playing, I'd do 100% under the unciv circumstances but significantly reduce it afterwards. The manual states that excess funds will be wasted.

Basically, I think its OK for a while but I'd reduce to say 60-75% in a few decades, just to be safe.

EDIT: Always noting of course, that I didn't play the game. :D

I'm just basing this iff the manual and statements others made.

like it so far.:D

More education and administration spending doesn't give any immediate bonuses, nor does it guarantee anything. It makes POPs more likely to promote themselves to Bureaucrats or Clergy because you're paying more to each individual Bureaucrat or Clergy POP.

Well, partly true. Both sliders have another effect though. Admin affects crime fighting and Education affects the rate of literacy increase. Neither directly affects RP generation, although Education does indirectly by increasing lit and encouraging more clergy.

Speaking of clergy, they're the ones teaching other pops how to read. The ideal percentage of clergy per state for this is 4%, more than that give no extra bonus. You might even want to stop at 2% per state since, overall, you only get RP from 2% of your population being clergy. There's a lot of choices to be made just about this! :cool:

Singleton: If you are still promoting Clergy with your NF, check the number in the state (not the province! :) ), it might be worth switching to a new state to avoid concentrating too many in one area. Clergy teach everyone in the state, so it's best to focus on your most populous states first.

You might also want to use some NF time on promoting bureaucrats, again especially in your populous/rich states, so you can collect more tax from them.

Nice updates, it's good to see a warts-and-all approach as it makes sure every little quirk comes out. The game itself seems to be exactly what it's been made out to be, a lot of fun.

How are you finding the interfaces etc? I notice you've had a couple of issues, for example finding the infamy meter and seeing that your troops were irregulars. Is this just the usual new game wobbles while you find your way around? Or is it a little cluttered/confused?

Singleton: If you are still promoting Clergy with your NF, check the number in the state (not the province! :) ), it might be worth switching to a new state to avoid concentrating too many in one area. Clergy teach everyone in the state, so it's best to focus on your most populous states first.

You might also want to use some NF time on promoting bureaucrats, again especially in your populous/rich states, so you can collect more tax from them.

Thanks for the tip. I forgot about my National Focus but it will be useful most certainly. The sliders I leave at 100% until I reach the ideal % of clergymen and bureaucrats. Or until I need to money elsewhere.

How are you finding the interfaces etc? I notice you've had a couple of issues, for example finding the infamy meter and seeing that your troops were irregulars. Is this just the usual new game wobbles while you find your way around? Or is it a little cluttered/confused?

The basics of the game are not that hard to understand I guess. But then you want to know why your POP react as they do and what to do about it and it becomes another matter. So far I have had no problem with the interfaces, apart from not taking the time to look for things. My only problem has been finding out how to make my POP happy and how to use them as efficient as possible. This will need a certain ammount of reading and that's what I will focus on today, in time before becomming civilized because then it will be really important.
The more I think about it the more it seems Japan is the ideal country to learn the game. First the basics when you are uncivilized: interface, budget, military, research etc. Then when you become civilized (didn't get to that point yet) you can slowly start to industrialize and keep everything in control, understanding what happens and why it happens. Well, at least that's the theory. We will see how it works out in the comming two or three days ;)

Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting and giving tips where needed.

Just wondering- why you're not using cavalry? Cav should give you reconnaissance bonus, making battles easier to win. No money or no idea? :p

Hmmm- and promoting aristocrats in Kobe should give you bonus to precious metal mine income?

Anyways, good read!

The basics of the game are not that hard to understand I guess. But then you want to know why your POP react as they do and what to do about it and it becomes another matter. So far I have had no problem with the interfaces, apart from not taking the time to look for things. My only problem has been finding out how to make my POP happy and how to use them as efficient as possible. This will need a certain ammount of reading and that's what I will focus on today, in time before becomming civilized because then it will be really important.

Fair enough. Paradox games always take a bit of fiddling around with to get a feel for what actually works.

The more I think about it the more it seems Japan is the ideal country to learn the game. First the basics when you are uncivilized: interface, budget, military, research etc. Then when you become civilized (didn't get to that point yet) you can slowly start to industrialize and keep everything in control, understanding what happens and why it happens. Well, at least that's the theory. We will see how it works out in the comming two or three days ;)

Thanks for reading and thanks for commenting and giving tips where needed.

I figured exactly that myself :) And it's a pleasure to read.

Just wondering- why you're not using cavalry? Cav should give you reconnaissance bonus, making battles easier to win. No money or no idea? :p

Hmmm- and promoting aristocrats in Kobe should give you bonus to precious metal mine income?

Anyways, good read!

With only one focus, is a bit of money worth more than education? Especially when you've got good income and you're trying to modernise, which aristocrats aren't likely to appreciate? But I do wonder about the cavalry, it might make a significant difference. It certainly would in the original in the early years.