• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, because the British fought an all out war against all of India at once and subjugated the subcontinent in 6 years. ;)

You didn't hear about that? Queen Victoria just got up one day and realized she was out of tea.

Wow... Great AAR!

I was thinking your actions were quite rash, in truth I suppose they were but it paid off. Nicely done.

Japan was on my list of first countries to play and now I know who I'll be starting with, though I may be a tad more conservative.. :p

Everyone should pile on Japan and destroy them, just like the UK was destroyed for bringing India into their empire!

"The War started because because the Vile Hun and his villanous empire building!"
'George, The British Empire, at present, covers a quarter of the Globe, while German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Taginiti. I hardly think we can entirely absolved of blame on the Imperialistic front.'
"Oh Sir! Oh no, Sir! Absolutely not! ... mad as a bicycle!"

"The War started because because the Vile Hun and his villanous empire building!"
'George, The British Empire, at present, covers a quarter of the Globe, while German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think we can entirely absolved of blame on the Imperialistic front.'
"Oh Sir! Oh no, Sir! Absolutely not! ... mad as a bicycle!"

"I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry. "

:D

At least include the stuff before those quotes :D

Baldrick: No, the thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on,
right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must
have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right?
and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is:
How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of
affairs?

Edmund: Do you mean "How did the war start?"

Baldrick: Yeah.

"Melchett: Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Blackadder: Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?

Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett: Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.

Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds."

Couldn't resist :) Nicely illustrates the sanity of WW1... though it's unlikely we'll get a chance to try it out in V2...

Couldn't resist :) Nicely illustrates the sanity of WW1... though it's unlikely we'll get a chance to try it out in V2...

Made me laugh, as did some of the others in the last comments.

You can count on some final chapters tomorrow in which I wrap up the story of Japan and shed a light on that which you are eagerly awaiting, the rebellions in China, or the lack of a big one in the first years but the brewing of something bad, really bad.

I will also post a full review of Vicky2 on my blog somewhere during the day.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XXX: Civilizing China

Having released the Cliques the next thing to do is form an alliance with the newfound buffer-states. I am surprised they don't seem to be in my Sphere of Influence yet but that's the next thing I will be focussing on.

opd7rb.jpg

2z8ri2s.jpg

Naturally I switch my National Foci from Japan to the most prosperous provinces of Japanese China and this soon pays off when the first capitalists show up and promptly start planning railroads. Switching between provinces it doesn't take long before the entire coastal area sees a frantic building-spree. Curious already how many factories they will build once the trains run throughout China.

14uvvyt.jpg

24q0nia.jpg

At the same time I discover Post-Nelson-thought (or something) and can build naval-bases. Several are planned in Japan: Nagasaki, Kyoto, Osaka and China: Port Arthur, Shanghai and Hong Kong. The entire fleet is brought together in Nagasaki and the damaged ships are being repaired.

A curious event pops up when some people in Hong-Kong, loving the new rule so much they lie about living under Japanese rule all their life, the war has ended just over a year ago.

2rcxs80.jpg

And then there are the Dutch....... “Hey Dutchy wanna play!?!”

35lzojo.jpg

Those last 2 events are juicy and flavoursome! :D I love those kind of events.

Those last 2 events are juicy and flavoursome! :D I love those kind of events.

Really? Because I just find it stupid (or funny, depending on how you look at it) that the Chinese are literally pretending that they have always loved Japan and been under their rule forever even though the whole country is still recovering from having its countryman brutally slaughtered in the millions the year earlier.

If this scenario made even a shred of sense then the Chinese would be creating underground resistance movements and planning uprisings. I said it before and I am saying it again, this game needs more balancing.

Really? Because I just find it stupid (or funny, depending on how you look at it) that the Chinese are literally pretending that they have always loved Japan and been under their rule forever even though the whole country is still recovering from having its countryman brutally slaughtered in the millions the year earlier.

If this scenario made even a shred of sense then the Chinese would be creating underground resistance movements and planning uprisings. I said it before and I am saying it again, this game needs more balancing.

It's not like Quislings are a rarity...

Some Chinese seek favor with their new rulers, that's hardly unimaginable. Meanwhile 100 million others are either just trying to feed their families or actively plotting rebellion. Where's the problem, other than semantically?

Some Chinese seek favor with their new rulers, that's hardly unimaginable. Meanwhile 100 million others are either just trying to feed their families or actively plotting rebellion. Where's the problem, other than semantically?

The problem is him being able to civilize a backwards Japan and take down all of China thus turning Japan into a global Superpower that ranks higher then some of the major European powers in just a few decades. In a game that is suppose to be about slowly growing in status and hopefully becoming the Nr.1 power at the end of the game (I am taking this description from the mouths of Paradox itself) this is horrible game balance.

Either Japan should be made weaker or china stronger.

@Hardcore Gamer

I thought so as well, at first. Otoh, from what Singleton Mosby has said, holding China may be difficult, even just the small part that wasn't released. I really think that we're going to end up finding that while there is plenty of balancing to be done, simply being able to supplant someones govt. will not be the end of the story. After all, this is a game about pop mgmt and Japan has bitten off the biggest bite of pops on the planet. Thrown in some rebellions (which apparently we'll learn more about in the next update) and a nasty foreign war and the Nips may yet have to abandon what they've gained to a more "local" governing body.

That doesn't mean there isn't room to mod in some difficulty though. :)

Great AAR, Singleton. The impossible is nothing! (Ahem)

Of course the game needs balancing, it isn't even out yet. In due time they will make changes, so keep voicing your opinion.

China is already strong enough, it should be apparent that they produce too much of the worlds goods (although they consume most of it?). I don't think Japan is too strong, I think the effects of war are too weak. War exhaustion should mount more quickly and effective casualties should be increased by at least a factor of 2. Mobilization should effectively devastate a nation's economy in a matter of years. To be honest, I have no idea how much damage it does currently, but it doesn't seem significant enough. Just my two cents... :)

Last edited:
Great AAR, Singleton. The impossible is nothing! (Ahem)

Of course the game needs balancing, it isn't even out yet. In due time they will make changes, so keep voicing your opinion.

China is already strong enough, it should be apparent that they produce too much of the worlds goods (although they consume most of it?). I don't think Japan is too strong, I think the effects of war are too weak. War exhaustion should mount much higher and effective casualties should be increased by at least a factor of 2. Mobilization should effectively devastate a nation's economy in a matter of years. To be honest, I have no idea how much damage it does currently, but it doesn't seem significant enough. Just my two cents... :)

I think you're right on. Mobilization should devastate an economy. Attrition and war casualties should be far higher. Supply should be more difficult to maintain. Also, there needs to be more of an international face to this. I mean.. look at what happened when Japan finally -did- try to conquer China!

As a sidenote, it just occurred to me that, AFAIK, you can't embargo anyone! I really hope that gets added....