• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If he raises tariffs, he can make it unprofitable for capis to not rely on locally-produced resources. :)

Prussia is full of sand, does that mean Prussia should build sand castles? :p

No, you build whatever appears profitable. Whether you build your industries on domestic resources or import resources matters only if the resources becomes scarce. There is no price difference (at least there wasn't in Vic1) since it is all sold and purchased through the same market mechanism. The devs never said anything about Vic2 having more than one and the same price for any given good, so really the only advantage to using domestic resources is availability, and in the early game coal and iron are not scarce at all.

Yeah but if you produce the goods domestically, then you don't need to buy them off the world market. Steel is a lot more expensive than iron and coal and so it can be really profitable to sell those.

No, you build whatever appears profitable. Whether you build your industries on domestic resources or import resources matters only if the resources becomes scarce. There is no price difference (at least there wasn't in Vic1) since it is all sold and purchased through the same market mechanism. The devs never said anything about Vic2 having more than one and the same price for any given good, so really the only advantage to using domestic resources is availability, and in the early game coal and iron are not scarce at all.

The thing is that you can have unprofitable industries, and while there aren't necessarily price differences, there is the difference between the price at which you can produce goods compared to everyone else, which determines profitability. Also, the devs have clarified a difference between internal markets and external markets, driven by two different supplies.

Yeah but if you produce the goods domestically, then you don't need to buy them off the world market. Steel is a lot more expensive than iron and coal and so it can be really profitable to sell those.
The factories still have to buy goods that are produced domestically.

Oh, yeah. I'm multitasking and thus getting things mixed up in my head. :)

Anyway, I wonder how long it will take before the Japanese army is advanced enough to steamroll the Chinese army. That's always satisfying. :p

But cant you subsidize import of goods? Im thinking you use the money you get from 50% taxing to subsidizing import and through that give your pop's a break. Of course it will hit your own production hard but then you will have the ability to build factories that produce things that are in need either abroad or domesticly.

pitty there isn't more parties to choose among, I thought it was random when it comes to party creation.

I did some 'ínvestigation' and there will be other parties in 1867, the historical date of the restoration. Which means I'll have to let these illiterate capitalists blunder in the dark for another 12 years and then take control myself.

If he raises tariffs, he can make it unprofitable for capis to not rely on locally-produced resources. :)

In V2 every pro has its con, you just have to weigh which is most important to you at that moment and pull the appropriat slider.

Anyway, I wonder how long it will take before the Japanese army is advanced enough to steamroll the Chinese army. That's always satisfying. :p

Shall we make it our goal finding out how long it will take in the next couple of posts ? :D

Goals:
  • Become civilised
  • Industrialize
  • Conquer Korea
  • Develop Japan to at least a minor power
  • Colonize the Pacific (if possible)
  • Conquer some colonies in SE-Asia
  • Attack the United States
  • Become a great power.
  • Find out how long it takes for an industrialized Japan to steamrole China
  • (Let's not forget: Learn the game)

Last edited:
Is it possible to make new parties appear through events instead of a fixed date? That way the parties that come into being at the date of the historical Meiji restoration would appear when you trigger the decision, instead of always 1867.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XVI: Railroads and rebels

The change of government from the conservative Shogunate to a liberal government is finally 'bearing fruit'. 43.000 clergymen from all over Japan form Jacobin groups with the eventual goal of returning to a more conservative government, if you ask them they liked the old days a lot better.

2uienmr.jpg

25ku3yx.jpg

Apart from these insurgent priests there is the ever growing nationalist-faction in Korea. As I have a big army stationed in Korea they don't really frighten me. Besides, the nationalist movement might be growing but the militancy is not and will eventually, over the years, wear down as the Koreans see the benefits of Japanese rule. And if they don't we will just enslave them again!

What I am more worried about are the Japanese reactionaries and Anarcho-liberals. The first group is small but will grow over time because of my change to the Liberal government, they might prove to be a menace in the future. The reactionaries are for the better part soldiers and some officers as well angry about my severely reduced spending of their budget. I have ran a test what would happen if I continue cutting their salaries to zero. By 1858 (six years) a good proportion of the army is reactionary and brigades start to revolt one by one. By 1860 a full rebellion of 75% of the army takes place, the militancy in every province rises above 5% and all of Japan is in rebellion within half a year. -Lesson....don't cut military spending for too long-.

1853 sees the eventual invention of experimental railroads. News of screaming, steaming engines of terrifying speed have reached Japan during the last decade but these engines could hardly be imagined in the Japanese countryside. Once the blueprints are brought to Japan the capitalists, one after the other, embrace the idea of this evolution and plans are being made to construct railroads. Yet again, because of Laissez Faire, I can't do this myself. And thus I have to look at the capitalists first planning a line between Osaka and Edo, then most of the central island and eventually all of Japan and Korea.

6xvtx4.jpg

2meqv6v.jpg

e063wl.jpg

Woot another update. Love reading this AAR. It has kept me very patient while waiting for release while at the same time building my excitement more and more. I like how the railroad being built in Japanese Shumshu only has two investors while the others have hundreds or thousands. Those two guys must be pretty rich. :)

I see you're now a great power. Congrats! Are you gonna put china in your sphere?

I am indeed a great-power. But that's mainly because of my military points.

I am not planning to get China into my sphere of influence. Rather plan to colonize them.

You did see the post i responded to right?

He was implying that the factories were built because the raw material was produced in Japan, that seems not to be the case. However, Iron and Coal is, and therefore by that logic, Steel factories should be build.

I am indeed a great-power. But that's mainly because of my military points.

I am not planning to get China into my sphere of influence. Rather plan to colonize them.

You mean the islands right? Like Taiwan? What about the rest of the pacific? Have the other GPs started interfering there?

BTW I was just thinking, and if you had China in your sphere, that would create a massive internal market. Once you got industrialized, you could really make a lot of money!

You mean the islands right? Like Taiwan? What about the rest of the pacific? Have the other GPs started interfering there?

Taiwan is not part of China. ;)

Militant Japanese anarcho-liberal Jacobin Mahayana priests. Savour that thought.

Oh, come on, these are the thing that we LOVE in Vicky:)

Like communist, state capitalist, pacifist capitalist:)

Edit: do soldier pops demote/promote to other pops when you underfund them? How is the military growth modelled?

Last edited: