• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It'll be kind of entertaining if the 2 capitalists on Okinawa with the cement factory make bucketloads and establish more factories; so you have a dirt-farming mainland and an industrious Okinawa and Korea.

As for the Chinese army. They have the largest armed force but not the most powerful. I am quite confident I will be able to hold them off with my enlarged army and some fortifications once I can build those.

That reminds me of this old joke, I'm sure most of you have heard it, but here it goes.

Chinese HQ, general explaining his plan of attack to subordinates:
- I want 3 million troops on my left wing, 5 million on my right wing and in the center <pause for greater effect> in the center I want my tanks.
- Both of them?
:cool:

Great AAR. Enjoying it greatly.

I think the problem with luxuary goods early on is many pops want them but few can actually afford them. I stuck with the Court faction in my game and went on a factory building spree, Capis be damned! :)

Oh, an advantage of annexing Korea: If you become a GP you get a neighbour bonus for influencing China, the only other GP to have that early on is Russia so make the most of it! Unless you plan to invade them instead?

You could probably use your NF's to encourage certan factories, if you feel your capis aren't up to snuff :p
Not a bad idea. There's an NF that promotes steel, cement and machine parts. Should be quite a good pick for laying the foundation of your industry.

Does he have the tech for steel factories yet?
No, it's almost finished in the last screen though.

You could probably use your NF's to encourage certan factories, if you feel your capis aren't up to snuff :p

Unfortunately I can only use my NF to steer towards a certain group of goods, not one good in particular.

Does he have the tech for steel factories yet?

Currently researching.

As you understand I am still not sure if I want to continue as a Liberal government or return to a Court-Faction monarchy. The later one's 50% taxes might prove to be a problem in the future while on the other hand not being able to medle in the process of industrialization is a pity.

Or perhaps I should give myself something else to do for the comming years ;)

4gb ram is what I also have, and my processor seems the same as yours. Hopefully I should be okay with this, I never played Hoi3 on this new laptop, but I'm hoping the demo will show us all how it performs.

Lol, yeah I paid $160 or so to add four 1mb sims to take my 386 to 8megs for Doom (the price had gone up due to an earthquake in Japan, oddly enough). I also remember forgetting to type ",8,1" on my C64 and being told to "press play on tape".

Great, AAR so far, really enjoying it. Thanks.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XV: “Thick-headed capitalists”

More and more factories are being planned and build and slowly but surely I invite several other types of factories as well. The essential types (cement/steel) are not a part of the capitalist's scheme, damn them. At this moment I almost think of switching back to Shogunate or Court faction which 'Planned Economy' allows me to meddle with the industry all I want. The big drawback being a minimum of 50% taxes.

34p0qps.jpg

s49hnc.jpg

At the same time the militancy-rating in Korea rises, more and more rebel groups are formed and I even discover a brigade of my army, recruited in Korea, having rebels amongst the ranks.

332aruw.jpg

2i9749e.jpg

Back to the factories. At the moment there are a dozen factories being build. The two finished ones are both luxury clothes factories and as you can see they are having some starting-up problems. The maintenance-goods (cement and machine-parts) aren't produced in Japan and thus have to be imported from overseas, being rather expensive. Regular clothes are only produced in small quantities by our artisans and thus we could do with a factory producing those before setting up a luxury clothes factory. All in all it is clear my capitalists have no idea about the production-process and a line of products

dyss5s.jpg

At least your artisans are producing plenty of steel! Quite a lot, in fact! :eek:
I wonder if that's why the capitalists aren't building steel factories - all the coal and iron is going to the artisans so the price of steel is relatively low? Seems a little irritating though...

It sounds like you definitely need to move your focus from capis to the spectrum of factories you would like to see built in certain provinces. Successful factories will probably produce more capitalists in the long run.

Because I didn't know at that moment how Laissez Faire would work out. Now I know (after five years) I might as well want to return altough I do not really like having to return to a minimum of 50% taxes.

Congrats on the Civilization status, well done SO early too. I have played many games as Japan in V1(Rev) and usually stick with the state capitalism as it represents more historical and I am able to build factories and railroads so fast I usually am a great power within a decade or so. That is ahistorical and I won't be able to expand so fast as I can't do POP conversion on a whim now. I am curious to see how your capitalists transform Japan with your guidance vs. someone like me going the conservative party/state capitalist way. Also doesn't Japan produce its own silk, why does it need to import it?

Good luck!

Last edited:
It really depends on how the game decides what factories to build. We just have to wonder why they're not filling the cement and machine parts niches of the market? What I'm wondering is, are there specific in game reasons they aren't (e.g. the luxury clothes are more lucrative) or is it just that the AI isn't "thinking" too clearly?

Also, maybe it's better think of them more as industries than individual factories - so atm it's a fledgling luxury clothes industry where the capis involved are finding it hard to get hold of the capital needed to really raise productivity (because they need to import it). That way there's no reason to really consider them as stupid so much as that they're just entrepreneurs making a buck. Maybe not making as many bucks as you'd like (in the interests of the state and their taxation), but then as private businessmen why would they be worrying about a thing like that? They've just spotted a niche and are filling it. So again, main question is why that niche and not the cement/machine parts?

It really depends on how the game decides what factories to build. We just have to wonder why they're not filling the cement and machine parts niches of the market? What I'm wondering is, are there specific in game reasons they aren't (e.g. the luxury clothes are more lucrative) or is it just that the AI isn't "thinking" too clearly?

Maybe they aren't exactly sure that Japan can buy enough coal, iron and steel to those factories and prefer factories that use local products?

As you understand I am still not sure if I want to continue as a Liberal government or return to a Court-Faction monarchy. The later one's 50% taxes might prove to be a problem in the future while on the other hand not being able to medle in the process of industrialization is a pity.

Or perhaps I should give myself something else to do for the comming years ;)

But cant you subsidize import of goods? Im thinking you use the money you get from 50% taxing to subsidizing import and through that give your pop's a break. Of course it will hit your own production hard but then you will have the ability to build factories that produce things that are in need either abroad or domesticly.

pitty there isn't more parties to choose among, I thought it was random when it comes to party creation.

Maybe they aren't exactly sure that Japan can buy enough coal, iron and steel to those factories and prefer factories that use local products?

Well, that's the thing. They don't, Japan is full of iron & coal mines, so the most logical thing would be to build a steel works.?

Well, that's the thing. They don't, Japan is full of iron & coal mines, so the most logical thing would be to build a steel works.?

Prussia is full of sand, does that mean Prussia should build sand castles? :p

No, you build whatever appears profitable. Whether you build your industries on domestic resources or import resources matters only if the resources becomes scarce. There is no price difference (at least there wasn't in Vic1) since it is all sold and purchased through the same market mechanism. The devs never said anything about Vic2 having more than one and the same price for any given good, so really the only advantage to using domestic resources is availability, and in the early game coal and iron are not scarce at all.