• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(18239)

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas
Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
2vwgw3s.jpg

Why a Review AAR

There are two good reasons I am writing this. First of all, you'll have to wait for another week until the game is released and this can be hell if there's nothing to read and no new screenies to watch.

Secondly this AAR is, I think, the first with the final-build of the game (not a beta-version) and thus we will see some differences with the beta-AARs. The game has to be reviewed and what's a better way to do so then as an as-we-go review of the things I come across: how much fun is it, how easy is it to get into, can the automators be trusted, how is the game compared to V1 (you'll have to make that comparison yourself), how is the game speed and are there any bugs.

There is a third reason as well. I always resented not liking Victoria 1, I just hope this time thing will be different and what better way to find out by writing an AAR about my experiences.

My personal Vicky history

Just like Jarkko Suvinen I bought Victoria1 on release anticipating yet another great Paradox-experience. Just like him, I was bored after quite soon and gave up. Mine is still standing the shelf together with all other Paradox games but in contrast, it is not installed on my pc. A good friend of mine occasionally bothered me with his experiences in V1: “I am going to conquere a good chunck of China and make the Chinese POP imigrate to the US Westcoast, more laborers for my factories.” I couldn't care less, Victoria 1 was a closed book for me.

Two games were all I played, two games and then I gave up. The American Civil War-scenario was not to my liking (never is good enough actually) and I just didn't see the point of it all. Of course I got never into it and with no fond memories this experience, this first game, will be quite different then the first ones played with EU2 and HOI3 when I had these great memories of previous instalments. Thus, this will be quite different from my previous preview and review AARs, let's get this going.

Index

Introduction
Chapter I: Here I come Japan!
Chapter II: Un-Civilized
Chapter III: Preparations; two steps forward, one step back
Chapter IV: The Invasion of Korea- Part I
Chapter V: In the meantime, back in Japan
Chapter VI: The Invasion of Korea - Part II
Chapter VII: The spoils of War
Chapter VIII: The Western Wind
Chapter IX: Unhappy POPs
Chapter X: The Storm from the West
Chapter XI: The Chinese gather
Chapter XII: The long road ahead
Chapter XIII: Civilized, at last
Chapter XIV: The first factories
Chapter XV: “Thick-headed capitalists”
Chapter XVI: Railroads and rebels
Chapter XVII: Troubles in Korea and the Chinese question
Chapter XVIII: Preparing for War
Chapter XIX: On to Beijing!
Chapter XX: “I love it when a plan....falls apart”
Chapter XXI: Heroes don't die, heroes run!
Chapter XXII: Storming the gates of China
Chapter XXIII: Re-visiting the fields of Jilin
Chapter XXIV: On to Beijing! Again...
Chapter XXV: Towards Tibet, Afghanistan and Vietnam
Chapter XXVI: The rebellions
Chapter XXVII: China vanquished
Chapter XXVIII: The spoils or the burden?
Chapter XXIX: The partitioning of China
Chapter XXX: Civilizing China
Chapter XXXI: Trouble is brewing in Chinatown
Chapter XXXII: So much for the trouble

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for thinking of poor us who have to suffer for one week more! :)

And interesting country choise. Go civilize and have some fun! Hope you like it- and i'm waiting forward to your AAR! :)

Introduction​

For this first game I have chosen to play Japan. Their history in this period is rather interesting. For the first few decades I will still experience the Shogunate, a country closed to the west and very isolationist. This gives me a good opportunity to learn the game, develop my country somewhat and not care all that much about the consequences. From 1854 onwards Japan will be opened to the west and with the Meiji-restoration I will join the western countries in their greed for trading posts and territory. The goal in the end is to send my Katana-wielding, “Banzai Bismarck” across the big pond and conquer America in revenge for Captain Perry's mission.
Of course I don't know if all these goals prove to be possible, this will be my first game and I have no idea about the game-mechanics etc. We'll see.

Goals:
  • Become civilised
  • Industrialize
  • Conquer Korea
  • Develop Japan to at least a minor power
  • Colonize the Pacific (if possible)
  • Conquer some colonies in SE-Asia
  • Attack the United States
  • Become a great power.
  • Find out how long it takes for an industrialized Japan to steamrole China
  • (Let's not forget: Learn the game)

Last edited:
2mhu6u9.jpg

Chapter I: Japan, here I come!

After a nice intro movie the game loads quickly. And look who's there in the menu, good old General Lee fighting the British!

15pod34.jpg

So, here we go, Japan: the land of the Rising Sun. An uncivilised absolute-monarchy, will have to do something about that. Apart from that it seemed like we are unimportant and nobody cares about us, that needs to be fixed as well. The map in this scenario menu looks really nice btw.

169qic2.jpg

And after a few more seconds of loading I can play. The loading-speed of V2 is noticeable better then the speed of Hearts of Iron 3.

On the main map I look around, click on some bars and buttons, change the map modes, check out the provinces and zoom in and out. Right, what to do now?

Before long the old V1-feeling creeps up so I press the “resign”-button and start up the tutorial which looks very neat and tidy; there is the basic, medium and advanced part, in each part a serious of subjects will be explained.

xp93r8.jpg

Best of all, you can choose which part you want to learn about and which not. So, if you ever feel you could do with a little tips on production you can save your game and start-up the tutorial chapter on this subject. It seems like this is the first good tutorial to a Paradox game. Bravo!

212fzg9.jpg

2rmxytk.jpg

Last edited:
But I was going to have a go at a learning-the-game-as-Japan AAR on release :mad: I'd even come up with a name, and mentioned the possibility in the your-first-game thread :(

;)

That's ok. I'll have no time as it turns out, and I'd rather see one now. And Japan does make a lot of sense for this kind of AAR. I'll forgive you if it's a good one :p:D

Hello from a fan of your HOI3 AAR's, this one should be fun. I didn't get into Victoria when it was first released but found the Revolutions expansion quite fun and have been playing it a lot the past few years. Japan is probably my favorite country to play so this AAR will be closely watched, thanks! :cool:

But I was going to have a go at a learning-the-game-as-Japan AAR on release :mad: I'd even come up with a name, and mentioned the possibility in the your-first-game thread :(

;)

That's ok. I'll have no time as it turns out, and I'd rather see one now. And Japan does make a lot of sense for this kind of AAR. I'll forgive you if it's a good one :p:D

It seems that there is going to be a harsh competition on AAR "country slots" on release... :)

Some are even launching them before they get the game ("Rise of the Black Eagle")... you should book your AAR thread real quick ! ;)

Looks great Singleton Mosby! Can't wait for you to begin your expansion as Japan. ;)

It seems that there is going to be a harsh competition on AAR "country slots" on release... :)

Some are even launching them before they get the game ("Rise of the Black Eagle")... you should book your AAR thread real quick ! ;)

Like I said, as it turned out I won't have the time. I'm currently doing 60 hour weeks, so simply playing the game will take enough effort. So I'll happily follow along with this instead when I get the chance :)

It's good to hear the new tutorial system is as helpful as it was made out to be. That's always been a weak spot for Paradox, without any real need for it to be one.

Oh, and why just Korea? There is something bigger, nicer, richer, with more pops etc right next to Korea. And at least in Vicky 1 China had some nice precious metal mines up in north, right along coast. Precious metals seem to be twice as valuable now, so grab them too! Not to mention just some rich-rich provinces.

@Capt. Kiwi

I sincerely hope for you that your time-consuming work won't prevent you from a good old "coffee with sugar and VictoriAAR break" ;).
Mine won't that's for sure, and that's why I do hope I will have loads to read including this one which I will be following with deep interest as Japan was also one of my favorites...

Looking forward to this Singeton, your previous review AARs have been some pleasant rides.:)

Oh, and why just Korea? There is something bigger, nicer, richer, with more pops etc right next to Korea. And at least in Vicky 1 China had some nice precious metal mines up in north, right along coast. Precious metals seem to be twice as valuable now, so grab them too! Not to mention just some rich-rich provinces.

There's no way an imperialist Japan could decide to attack Manchuria for the resources... :D

@Capt. Kiwi

I sincerely hope for you that your time-consuming work won't prevent you from a good old "coffee with sugar and VictoriAAR break" ;).
Mine won't that's for sure, and that's why I do hope I will have loads to read including this one which I will be following with deep interest as Japan was also one of my favorites...

I'm sure I'll squeeze it in there somewhere. I'm on now aren't I? :D And this should be a good AAR, a good start with a good nation and hopefully a great game. Plus there's no need to stop for the latest patch, unlike the beta AARs. So I'll definitely find the time to follow, even if I can't do justice to creating something myself.

There's no way an imperialist Japan could decide to attack Manchuria for the resources... :D

I wouldn't dare to think of it sir ;)

Ok, guess I can finish the next chapter in a few hours and perhaps one more later today.

Nice to see that the review looks good.

Finally a chance to have a look at an unciv.

I'd apreciate if you go quite detailed into game mechanics (like OHgamer's AAR did).

Thanks and good luck creating the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere!

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter II: Un-civilized

So, back to Japan
The first two goals of the list were to become civilised and industrialize. Without the first we won't be able to build factories and thus can forget about a Japanese industrial revolution. Hence becoming civilized is the primary point on our agenda. It is, however, not as easy as it sounds.
From the strat-guide I learn you have to research a 'package' of technologies: Freedom of trade, Rights of men and Post-Napoleonic military, get 30 Prestige and military score of 80 to be eligible to become civilised. Having fulfilled all of these I can opt for the Meiji-restoration and start the road to greatness.

15zfcxf.jpg

214w6fd.jpg

First thing I thus invest in is researching “Freedom of Trade”. As you can see clergymen are the modifier for the number of research points. Decision is quickly made thus, my national focus is used to promote the clergymen. Although this is as far as my theory goes.

With this investment in research my budget receives a 'hit' straight away, something for which the army and the poor people will have to pay. Raised taxes on the poor and lowered investment into the military.

15n40tf.jpg

2zguee8.jpg

At that moment I thought the investment-slider for military maintenance would affect the organisation of the troops like it does in the EU games. Nothing of that kind however, I learn from the strategy-guide. This slider controls how many POPs become soldiers and how many decide to pursue another profession if there isn't enough money to be made as a soldier. Thus, for several years I had my slider at zero thinking I would bring it up to 100% in time for my war with Korea. No harm done for now, I hope. We'll see what the consequences of scaring away the POPs for three years will be later on.

Lady luck is on my side when a deposit of precious metals is discovered. The sudden surplus of cash coming in seriously eases the burden on my budget.

2h71dl0.jpg

Very interesting, subscribed. Also, the tutorial looks great! I hope it won't become obsolete as fast as the earlier tutorials have done.