+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Rising Sun - A V2 Review AAR

Europa Universalis 3Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Nice AAR. It always good to get more info on Vic2, and read a nice, wellwritten AAR. Keep up the good work
    Nationality: Danish
    Ideology: Communist
    Primary/Secondary Issues: Full Citizenship/Planned Economy
    Militancy: 6 (0.01)
    Consciousness: 7(-0.03)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

So if unciv's can recruit regular infantry, why would anyone in their right mind want to recruit irregulars?

Or is there a tech requirement for regulars?

50 games registered

Quote Originally Posted by Rhion View Post
    So if unciv's can recruit regular infantry, why would anyone in their right mind want to recruit irregulars?

Or is there a tech requirement for regulars?
    Flintlock Rifles has to be researched before one can recruit regulars.
    AARs:
    Barrett's Privateers - A Nova Scotia Victoria AAR - Dead. Planned for resurrection

Mods:

Second Modernity
    Explore the years 2036 to 2136 with this mod of Victoria II
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas Singleton Mosby's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA
    Quote Originally Posted by hjarg View Post
    Just wondering- why you're not using cavalry? Cav should give you reconnaissance bonus, making battles easier to win. No money or no idea? :P
    I have no cavalry as I can't build them yet.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings Crusade
    Semper FiShip Simulator ExtremesSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Chapter VI: The Invasion of Korea - Part II

Just after the first victory in the Kwanjung province news of a Korean build-up around Seoul reaches Shimamura'. He is quick to counter this and strikes with the units returning from their victory in the south.

The Koreans, however, split their forces into two armies. The first one, which marched west, some 10.000 men, I defeat with ease. The second, proves to be a bit more of a problem. Shimamura attacks their 12.000 with equal numbers but is countered and almost defeated, only able to win final victory when reinforced by some 8.000 more men. The pursuit is on and the remainder of the two Korean forces gathers in the south and are defeated. They cry for peace (a white peace) but it is all over for them.

By the end of 1841 all of Southern-Korea is conquered by my troops who have now recuperated from the hard-fought battles of the summer (many units had been all but wiped out). I move on and over the next full year occupy what is left of mainland Korea. Forgetting about their little isle in the straits I have to grab this as an afterthought.

Almost having finished them rebels pop up all over Korea on the same date. I only have two armies of four units each renaming there but still am able to subdue them quickly as they are scattered and only 3.000 men strong each.

Only then am I able to sue for peace. My warscore is 94%. Not 100 because two Korean transports still block one of my ports. Already I am building my first frigate but I didn't have to as they give in and Korea is completely annexed. Victory!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Is that 33-regiment strong chinese army irregulars or regulars?

Has scandinavia formed already?
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Social Democrat
    Issues: Interventionism/Free trade
    Current work: Tech Support
    Cash reserves: Whatever coins I find in my apartment.
    Revolt risk: 28%
    Militancy: 9
    Consciousness: 8

This is no AAR, this is a space station, no wait, THIS IS SPARTA, no I am doing it wrong, this is a bonus developer diary.
    - King

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    In the name of the Emperor, I suggest you take some time to cool down your BB now.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

No way. The dignity of Japan herself demands constant, reckless, deranged expansion everywhere.

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Interesting AAR.

A question regarding BB ... you got slapped with 20 when you DOWed Korea with the goal to annex them. Are you slapped again when you win the war and actually do annex them or does it remain as is?
    One strikeout is a tragedy; a million strikeouts a statistic.

Kudos to the AI for forming Scandinavia (Dunno what the requirements are though, maybe it's just easy)! And nice AAR btw. My knowledge of the original Vicky is VERY limited (Never actually played it), so I'm trying to read as much as I can to get to the 13th with some knowledge.

Europa Universalis 3Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

How the heck did Scandinavia form? I can see you're in 1841, so the two German-Danish wars haven't been fought. Does this mean there is a new way of uniting Scandinavia?
    Nationality: Danish
    Ideology: Communist
    Primary/Secondary Issues: Full Citizenship/Planned Economy
    Militancy: 6 (0.01)
    Consciousness: 7(-0.03)

Quote Originally Posted by Temrek View Post
    Is that 33-regiment strong chinese army irregulars or regulars?

Has scandinavia formed already?
    I can only see the 33,000 men strong army (eleven regiments) is made up solely of infantry. I can't see if those are irregulars or not.

To answer your other question: yes, Scandinavia has formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Syt View Post
    A question regarding BB ... you got slapped with 20 when you DOWed Korea with the goal to annex them. Are you slapped again when you win the war and actually do annex them or does it remain as is?
    I was only 'slapped' ones, when I started the war. Losing it, or in fact not achieving my set goals of total conquest, would mean a lost of prestige.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.
    One strikeout is a tragedy; a million strikeouts a statistic.

First Lieutenant Sebastian Jarl's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I suppose Scandinavia may have formed as a result of Liberal rebels. That is the only explanation I can think of for it having formed this soon.

Good job on acquiring Korea! I trust Manchuria and Taiwan are next?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrenown View Post
    Well, partly true. Both sliders have another effect though. Admin affects crime fighting and Education affects the rate of literacy increase. Neither directly affects RP generation, although Education does indirectly by increasing lit and encouraging more clergy.
    Is that so? Simply moving the sliders farther to the right increase crime fighting and literacy increase? I didn't know that; thanks.
    Alaska: Like Finland, but with less death metal and a lot more Republicans

King: "As Vic2 development came close to completion we have to think about what the hell will we do next? We picked CK2 after Doomdark had a vision of the Little Baby Jesus and he was crying because there was no CK2."

Chapter VII: Spoils of War

About time to take a look at my new gains. My population has grown from 7 million to 10.2, quite the gain. A lot of the provinces I gained in Korea produce iron which will be useful later on I guess.

The military score is 81 which is enough to become civilised, great! Funny to see I am now the 5th most powerful country in the world, well, my army is. I have 15 prestige which is still 25 short of my goal. So that's what I will be my next short-term focus. I'll try to achieve this by doing some cultural research after 'discovering' Rights of Men. It is to be hoped I will be one of the first nations discovering whatever I am going to discover and thus get a good prestige-boost. Just in case that doesn't work I will look out for some minors to 'humiliate' as well. Can't see the historical analogy for that but as long as I will gain some prestige from bullying them around I am fine with it.

Another 'gain' from the past war is an infamy score of 18.8. If the BB-wars really start at 25 I will have to pay some attention and wait for a dozen years before the infamy from this war is washed off.

Within a month another 30k strong army joins the Chines force of 33.000 on the border. Either they are up to something and I should watch my back or I have scared them with my quick conquest of Korea. Whatever the case of these two I will make sure some forces are ready to oppose them if they chose to attack. Two-thirds of the 15.000 men army in Korea are send north to guard the border and a second force of 8.000 is kept at the ready in Kobe. At the moment none of these eleven brigades are at full strength but once they are I will have 33.000 men at the ready. The reserve in Edo is another 12.000 so yes, I am outnumbered. Let's just hope they don't bring in more men before soon.

At this time it finally dawns on me how gorgeous Vicky II looks. I realize this is the first time I think of a Paradox game as beautiful as well instead of fun.

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Will you build forts, say, on the Hamhung-Pyongyang line? Do you have the tech?

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Uhtred View Post
    Will you build forts, say, on the Hamhung-Pyongyang line? Do you have the tech?
    My tech level is not sufficient enough yet to build forts. But when I can I will.

Admiral of the Ocean Blue brisduv's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Great job conquering Korea, so ahistorical but hey you take what you can get

I wouldn't worry much about those Chinese troops, almost guaranteed they are irregulars (if anything like the V1 armies). Looking forward to the next installment.
    “War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say give them all they want.” - William Tecumseh Sherman

Currently reading: The Ottoman Centuries: The Rise and Fall of the Turkish Empire - Lord Kinross; Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath - John Toland

No Longer a Linear Scale walrus's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Ooo, this is getting exciting now!
    But you're not making the wait for the game any easier
    Ask me about Anarcho-Stalinism!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast