• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you checked your BB limit?

Anyway since you still need a fair few techs its probably best to just wait before you even think of going for prestige through more war.

Sadly there's no prestige on The rights of man. For the prestiege techs that do have prestige for the early researchers you can see the current "shared prestige" in the tooltips so you can see if you're likely to get a big bonus or not.

Nice AAR so far, it's inspired me to play JAP again too.

Woah Scandinavia :eek:

Great AAR. It's nice to see someone actually stumbling through the game (like I probably will the first few times through) rather than just conquering all. Keep it up! :)

Have you checked your BB limit?

Yeah.

2ito4y1.jpg

Woah Scandinavia :eek:

Great AAR. It's nice to see someone actually stumbling through the game (like I probably will the first few times through) rather than just conquering all. Keep it up! :)

Keep up stumbling? :D

Won't dissapoint you btw. ;)

Sweet AAR! Just a couple of questions though. If increasing the education slider only allocates more money to the clergy, how does the literacy rate go up? Does the increase in clergy increase the literacy of the state they're in? Also are you still far behind other countries tech-wise? How do you plan on spending all that money? Building factories when the time comes? Just wondering...

Sweet AAR! Just a couple of questions though. If increasing the education slider only allocates more money to the clergy, how does the literacy rate go up? Does the increase in clergy increase the literacy of the state they're in? Also are you still far behind other countries tech-wise? How do you plan on spending all that money? Building factories when the time comes? Just wondering...

You are right about how the education slider and litteracy works.

I have no idea how my tech is compared to European nations and China, no idea if there is a way to find out.

Once Japan becomes civilized I will invest big-time in Factories and railroads as well as fortifications on the Korean border.

188 months until badboy goes away... right in time to annex China in one go. :D

Great read. Eagerly anticipating the next installment.

As someone above put it, this sure is not making the agonizing wait for release day any easier!

And I agree, Victoria II does look like the most beautiful Paradox game yet.

So, we all know what your regular army consists of, but with your militar spending, how many regiments will you get when you mobilize? (I'm assuming a lot which is what is scaring the Chinese.)

I'm hitting F5 as fast as I can!

Nice AAR, really helping to ease the wait :p

I Do however have a question, does Japan actually only have a population of 7m at game start, or is the display showing the number of POPs?

Back in Vicky you had quite a bit more than 7 million people atleast xD

I Do however have a question, does Japan actually only have a population of 7m at game start, or is the display showing the number of POPs?

Back in Vicky you had quite a bit more than 7 million people atleast xD

It has 7 milion at start, 10,2 after conquering Korea.

...but is that population or population units?

Thats the working male population. Multiply by 4 to get the real population.

Same as in Vicky1, the sum of your pops was always a quarter of your displayed population.

Same as in Vicky1, the sum of your pops was always a quarter of your displayed population.

That seems logical indeed. Thanks :)

Let's continue with the AAR; another post so you don't have to F5 all the time.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter VIII: The Western Wind

14l0cv8.jpg

2hyza4k.jpg

As my Clergy is at the moment still only 1.3% of the population of Edo I will retain my national focus on this for a little while longer. The most effective percentage is supposedly 2% so they are allowed to grow some more. With 1,5 million inhabitants the state of Edo is the both the most important and most populated of Japan. Thus once I reach 2% clergy my next focal point will be bureaucrats in the same province. My capital will be full of educated men!

On December 15th 1843 Japan gets “Western Influence” which means 10% extra research-points and, as a drawback, some more POP militancy. Of course I say goodbye to Edo and the era of isolationism.

nyid5y.jpg

2hnp2s5.jpg

There are a few things I can do now to let this “Western Wind” gather more strength and become a hurricane. First of all there is some colonisation. I am not sure if it adds to prestige but it might do so. There are several suitable islands to colonise in the Pacific such as Midway but all of these have hardly any population which can work for my colonists. To the north of Japan there is the Halshenwai island which looks more interesting for now. It will have to wait till I discovered Right of Men however as that will give me another National Focus to use.

When I look at the options to colonise these islands for the second time I find out however, this is only a possibility for a Great or Secondary power. Too bad, it will have to wait.

As mentioned before there is also the possibility of waging war and gain prestige. If I don't want to get into a conflict with China just yet I will have to look south, far to the south. Here I find two interesting targets. Burnei and Dai Nam.

2zq9ehi.jpg

While Burnei is the smaller of the two information about a freedom movement by the Cambodians in Dai Nam has reached us making this a more interesting venture.
There are two options. A. a war of humiliation which gives me 5 prestige in exchange for another 1.6 infamy or B. a war to release the freedom-loving Cambodians. I would gain 5 prestige and lose only 0.5 infamy. The later is the more interesting choice for the first of the prestige-wars.

11r3dbt.jpg

b6zx9y.jpg

For now I let it be however. For one my navy is not strong enough to transport a substantial force this far. And, I am a bit wary of the Chinese and their intentions on the Korean border.

According to the devs and one of the recent AARs, you can see both POPs and the actual population. One of them is already on the screen, the other is in the tooltip when you mouse over, if I remember correctly.