• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I get the feeling the subjugation of China isn't over. Looking back at the conquest of Korea, it was a few years later that rebellion hit hard. I'd imagine the same will happen here.

The only thing I've really noticed being off in balancing is the way the international community reacts. In Pekee's Brazil AAR it was too much (Siam and Japan) and uncoordinated, and without an easy way for the cycle to end. In this the response has been nothing, because Singleton didn't cross a magic line. That could probably do with some work - even if it's just a few guarantees and SoIs in place at start.

Bear in mind I haven't tried the demo though - bandwidth is out, I'm expecting kbps download speeds in about an hour :( Took me half an hour to get the last three pages of this (most excellent) AAR loaded, without most of the images. It was worth it though :)

For all of you that don't like annexation of major uncivilized countries:

Go to .\common\cb_types.txt and replace conquest war goal's is_valid part with this: You can change the maximum number of states if you want.

Code:
	is_valid = {
		# only one state or unciv
		or = {
			and = {
				civilized = yes
				not = { number_of_states = 2 }
			}
			and = {
				civilized = no
				not = { number_of_states = 6 }
			}
		}
		is_independant = yes
	}

Other way would be adding something nasty (militancy increase?) between these tags:

Code:
nationalism = {
}

Of course the game needs balancing, it isn't even out yet. In due time they will make changes, so keep voicing your opinion.

I will, don't you worry about that. Capt Kiwi was quite right when he wrote the following:

I get the feeling the subjugation of China isn't over. Looking back at the conquest of Korea, it was a few years later that rebellion hit hard. I'd imagine the same will happen here.

Apart from the serious rebellion at the very end of the war with China everything was quiet for the first few years. The only rebellious POPs in China were migrated Japanese. When I started to really think there was something very wrong, about five years after the war, the first Chinese militants reared their heads. They grow in number quickly, a second group adds to them and now there is something very dangerous brewing in China. I am actually afraid of the day they will rise as my army can't be strong enough to surpress them if they do. They only thing thus wrong with this is that it has to grow and takes several years to do so.

Great ideas btw, Baneslave, hope Paradox reads it and implements something like it in a patch.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XXXI: Trouble is brewing in Chinatown

In September 1868, four years after the victorious conclusion of the war, the first major rebellion reared its ugly head. The rebels appeared in Northern-Korea and China south of Mongolia and north of Beijing.

23seu1h.jpg

2jdmck5.jpg

30sdend.jpg

In a few weeks they were suppressed as I had enough troops present to counter a rebellion of this size. When everything was quiet again I took a look at my POPs and the rebels in my country and was surprised to see those whom had just taken up arms had not been Chinese nationalists but Japanese Anarcho-Liberals instead. A closer look showed these POPs were in fact not of Japanese culture so I guess there it is determined because of which dominant issue they become militant in which category of rebels they fall.

99lvzq.jpg

vov985.jpg

By 1869 more and more areas showed high militancy-ratings and this time most of these areas are in China. I can't find out however why they are so far from one another and what the problem is for my POPs in Japanese. This thread might help me out however as it seems like the writer has some of the exact same problems. The differences with my game are the Chinese rebellels which started to appear in ever increasing numbers from 1872, eight years after the war.

wclt2p.jpg

3166z6b.jpg

rljrt2.jpg

1873 saw another ugly rebellion of Korean nationalists. If their actions are a sign of the feature I can only fear for what is to come when all hell breaks lose in China.

wujj9l.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fairly puny rebellions to me. :p

One typo in your first line: "In September 1848" => "In September 1868".

It is a crying shame to see your Japan go all liberal rather than trying to maintain a conservative or reactionary stance due to your choices, but I can see that you have at least not given any of the people political rights, so that is something. :)

Still, I can only say this: You deserve what is coming for both good and ill. :)

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XXXII: So much for the trouble

Another year passes and then the big one hits. It are not the Chinese nationalists however but the Japanese Reactionaries which rise up all over Korea, China and especially in Japan. This is the OMG rebellion but it doesn't come from the people I expected it to come from.

33vym88.jpg

zj8d5f.jpg

There are probably more then I can fight and while franticly moving my troops about and building new units I see I can pass some reforms. “Trincket Pensions” is what I choose and lo behold, almost immediately the militancy-rating drops to zero, then the rebels start to disappear and Japan is quiet again. Even worse, the Chinese rebels are no more......

keff29.jpg

1zyom8.jpg

So, what did we learn?
V2 is a grand game, it is really one of the best Paradox-experiences so far. In this AAR we however discovered some flaws which need balancing and fixing in future patches.
First of all there is the issue of China. I wasn't too worried with me being able to defeat their army, although I was happily surprised it proved this difficult. The thing which worried me, is they hardly rebelled during and shortly after the war. Then it took years and years for their strength to build but, and this is the biggest problem, not because they were nationalists but because they were unhappy and demanded reforms. Every problem was solved when I passed some reforms. No more Japanese reactionaries, no more Korean and Chinese nationalists......that's weird, they shouldn't care all that much about it should they?
Of course part of this could have happened because of my inexperience with the game, because I kept my sliders at 100% all the time (which isn't a good thing) and because I played Japan which is a tad different from a regular, European GP.

When all is said and done I realise there is still (perhaps a lot) work to do on V2, this game isn't finished and polished as I thought when I played it for the first few hours, the second half of the game (from the 1870's onwards) will need some proper balancing and bug-fixes.

On that note I think it is time to wrap this up.
Today we will all be able to enjoy Victoria , many of us will write our complaints, suggestions, questions etc on the forums and of course some people will be mad while others are ecstatic. The game will get some patches, get better and better, and by the time the first expansion is released be as good as any we ever had. All I can say is I will enjoy V2 over the coming months and look forward to all the mods and expansions.

Truly nice AAR. Rebellion system really needs some tinkering if you're able to pacify people with just some reforms. I was looking forward for 300 rebel brigades popping up in China and kicking you back to the sea. :(

But now that I've had a day to play it myself I agree that Vicky2 is a very good game even now, and with some polishing it can be something in the league of it's own.

Thanks for the AAR, it helped the waiting process considerably.

Glad you all liked it. Thanks for the nice words!

My full review of Vicky2 can be found here->

Well done, SM! Thanks for the great review of the game. :)

My full review of Vicky2 can be found here->
Nice review.

One nitpick:
Nations in V2 come in three categories: uncivilised countries, secondary powers and the big eight, the Great Powers. Your natural goal is achieving a position in the last category.
There are four categories: uncivilized countries, civilized countries, secondary powers, and the big eight, the Great Powers.

and
The conciseness and militancy of your POPs changes over time,
conciseness => consciousness

Yep, that review seems to sum up my brief experience of the game so far. Stable, fun, a little overwhelming in some ways even as something of a veteran, and still needing some balancing. All in all a good game that with a little patching will be Paradox's best.

Thanks for the AAR, it did a great job of highlighting the +ve and -ve of the game from a neutral perspective. Now to spend more time playing it myself :D

It is extremely dissapointing how easy it was to totally conquer China with practically no backlash. The rebel system in this game is fubar.

Really nice AAR though.

Last edited: