• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Viking_Manstein

Major
5 Badges
May 18, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
e9dfd31cc505d51fc26975250750deab_539.jpg

Greetings from Norway!

This is an AAR made by me (Viking_Manstein) and my friend whom we will refer to as Duke of Norway.
This is my second AAR. In this AAR we are going to play as our native country of Norway, the date is January 1936,
in Hearts of Iron III, (Semper Fi) Version 2.0.

We won't use any cheats, and the difficulty will be set to normal.
This AAR will be seen from two different perspectives.
One of which will be the military diary of the chief of staff & chief of army *Von den fosse, this will be more of an AAR and the other half will be thoughts and opinions of the head of state, *Grand Duke Lankaas of Norway which will more dialogue etc.

Some sentences may be written in Norwegian for dramatic effect.
(google is your friend if you're curious)

- For further frame of reference this campaign is 100% imaginary
- " Some characters may be fictional and will be indicated witch an * "​

e9dfd31cc505d51fc26975250750deab_540.jpg

- EDIT: Due to some miscalculations we feel forced to use the "noneurtality" cheat, we would also like to clarify how the diary entries and the main events(conferences) correspond.

Diary= Entries in the diary cover most of the international events, and these will be informed to the other characters unless something else is specified in the entry. Things already covered with a diary entry will most likely not be mentioned in the conferences, this is done to avoid repetition.

As always, comments are really appreciated.

Last edited:
The beginning

NB: we will rescale the images soon

January 1. Norway, Oslo, Slottsparken.

"8.00 in the morning.
Grand Duke Lankaas was taking a walk in the castle gardens with his right arm, Generalfeltmarskalk Von Den Fosse.
They had a nostalgic moment on their way to a new year's conference to discuss the future of Norway."​

Lankaas:
Så, Fosse, It has been nearly over two years since we took control of this country, and thus saved it from the downfall that the Workers party would have brought upon our glorious nation. The people was not to happy when we took control, but of course you remember that my dear Fosse.

Fosse: Yes indeed, we nearly lost our lives my dear friend.

Lankaas: Yes, but we are still here today, and I believe that there may be a higher power watching over us, our nation, our supporters, our people and our cause.

Fosse: Of course there is! And now that the people have accepted our government it is with great pleasure that we can discuss the future of this country on broader perspective.

*As Von Fosse finishes, he opens the door to the conference room for Duke Lankaas.*

Lankaas: Indeed.
*Lankaas utters the words as he enters the room.*

"The conference room is filled with silence as the rest of the Norwegian state officials waited for Lankaas to take his seat at the end of the table."

Lankaas: Gentlemen, as I just discussed with Von Den Fosse, we may now discuss the plans of this country with ease, as uprisings has seized and order is restored to this glorious nation. We may now focus on our primary objective, namely, a unified Scandinavia amassed under the Norwegian banner.

Halvdan Koht: You have been saying this for years, but you have not showed us how this is feasible?

*Lankaas rises up and as he takes a vast grip on the table and his body shakes with anger, he turn to Fosse and gives him The look of approval. Fosse then rises, draws his newly imported Luger and shoots Koht dead on the spot.*

Lankaas: I f anyone else wants to refer to my plan with the word "feces" speak up now!

Fosse: Sorry to interrupt, but he said feasible, not feces, that's two completely different words.

Lankaas: Really? I thought it was just a different aspect of the word.
"The other ministers look pale as death as Lankaas slowly takes his seat."

Lankaas: I guess we were all glad to have that communist out of the way anyways, and since this was in the cards I have already arranged for a new foreign minister, J.L. Mowinckel to take his place.

Adolf Indrebø: A most excellent proposition Sir, we were all tired of his Soviet attitude.

Lankaas: Indeed, and now I would very much like to see the state of our army... I give the word to you, my dear Fosse.

Fosse: Well, our military is in a shambles, we don't have modern weapons, our emphasis is still on WW1 tactics and our numbers are poor, if you would care to take a look Sir.
*Von Den Fosse hands Lankaas a reference sheet of the Army.*

Lankaas: These numbers are indeed bad, we need to increase them drastically, I trust you have a plan of action.

Fosse: Yes, over the next years we will expand our military as much as possible.

Lankaas: Excellent, Adolf, show me the state of our production.

Adolf Indrebø:
Yes, I have spoken to Von Den Fosse, and we have concluded, that our production is the most important thing at the moment, and upgrades will have to wait until later.
The consumerist marked will also be sacrificed for the military production.
We are also stockpiling supplies now in anticipation of a rise in the number of divisions. You can see for yourself.
*Lankaas is handed another set reference sheets, and slides between them as he compares the numbers.*

Lankaas: This looks promising indeed. Takk Adolf! But it is time to move on.
I guess technology would be a fitting theme to discuss.
I think it is important for us to increase our production, since Sweden has twice the amount of factories, and that is outrageous!
So I want you to sacrifice intelligence, diplomacy and officer training.

Adolf Indrebø: If you want us to build factories, then we will have to research construction Engineering, that is required to build something as complex as a factory.

Lankaas: Start researching that immediately!
After what Von Den Fosse told me, we need to get some new rifles for our infantry, we have stayed with the Krag Jørgensen since 1886 now and it is ripe for replacement, I suggest we start making those new Gevær modell 1930.
I know that the amount we can research is limited, so therefore I will give the last research slot to your military academy Von Den Fosse, I trust you know what doctrine we need.

e9dfd31cc505d51fc26975250750deab_546.jpg

Fosse: At the moment we have some knowledge of the "superior firepower doctrine" and we should exploit that, therefore I have entrusted my finest officers to develop a "Delay doctrine", this will improve our defensive capabilities.

Lankaas: Very well, let me see the state of knowledge in our nation for the time.
*Fosse hands Lankaas a new sheet of paper, the look on the leaders face is anything but happy.*

Lankaas: This is not good at all.

*Lankaas picks up a red and a yellow marker*

Lankaas: I want us to improve in these areas.
*He marks the most important in red and the less important with the yellow marker.*

Fosse: This will be done Sir. We have only three matters left before we can conclude this meeting, I suggest we move on to the diplomatic front.

Lankaas: A most excellent proposition.

*Lankaas is handed yet more papers from his ministers. He looks over the papers for a short period of time, then he throws them back on the table as he is swaying his hands in a frustrated manner. *

Lankaas: How am I supposed to do anything with this kind of incompetence at my disposal.
The neutrality is at 100%! It should be at 0 if you ask me! Am I supposed to watch over you as if you were my fucking pet rabbit?!

Alfred Roscher-Lund: Sorry to interrupt Sir, but if you take a look at the intelligence you will see that we are working on it, we are also increasing the threat which the Swedes pose towards our glorious nation. Here is a sketch of my report Sir.

*Lankaas looks over the papers.*

Lankaas: Dette ser bra ut... Is there anything else gentlemen?
Fosse: Yes, I would like to discuss our coastal defense, if that is agreeable with you?

Lankaas: Yes, how could I forget, I think this is rather important.
Fosse: Trygve has given me a list of the areas which are vital when it comes to our existence as an independent nation, I have marked them on a map from 1-6. All these areas are major ports.

Lankaas: This is god, I hope that you, Von Den Fosse has an idea of what we need to hold these areas.
Fosse: Yes, after a lot of trial and error I have set up a model for a coastal defense division, if you would care to take a look.

*Lankaas is handed yet another sheet.*

(1. Narvik, 2. Trodheim, 3. Bergen, 4. Stavanger, 5. Kr.Sand, 6. Oslo)​

Fosse: This division is the perfect mix between attack, manpower cost and defensive capabilities, I have also taken the liberty to produce some anti-air guns, these will be upgraded as soon as we have a free research team. In addition I have set up a cavalry division, this one will have 3 brigades of cavalry and one consisting of armored cars.

e9dfd31cc505d51fc26975250750deab_550.jpg
e9dfd31cc505d51fc26975250750deab_551.jpg

Lankaas: This is good, at least it looks like somebody here has a backbone and can do things on their own. I think this concludes our meeting gentlemen, I am sorry Jacob, I think we will have to talk about your navy and air force another time.

Jacob Von Der Lippe: Of course Sir.

Lankaas: I want a new meeting in 6 months, maybe I will even talk to some of you before that, but for now, god day to you.
*Lankaas leaves the rom with Von Den Fosse.*

Last edited:
Interesting one, so will you ally Germany in your quest for a "Gross-Norwegen"? :cool:

Duke Lankaas has no equals, therefore there will be no allies. :rofl:

19.00 July 25. Norway, Arendal, Sofienlund.

*Lankaas has just summoned his ministers to his new villa, Sofienlund, which is situated on Tromøya in Arendal.
They have just finished eating a meal of lobster and they are now going to discuss the events of the past six months, and they have taken seats in his livingroom.
All of the ministers are present except minister of security and the head of intelligence*

Lankaas : Good evening to you gentlemen, I hope you enjoyed supper! I would now like it if you would all give the most important events since our last meeting. Does anybody wants to start.

*The new foreign minister, J.L. Mowinckel , rises and thereby indicating that he wants to start.*

J.L. Mowinckel : I have quite a lot for you today Sir. The foreign ministry have been rather busy since you assigned me to this new job, there was a lot of work to be done, if you understand what I mean.

Lankaas : Yes, I do, you predecessor was rather incompetent....

J.L. Mowinckel : Indeed he was, but I have a lot of good news, I will start with our foreign trades. We were running low on coal, and a number of trade deals have been offered to us by various nations, I have accepted the ones which met our needs. Take a look if you please.

*Lankaas is handed a pile of papers.*

J.L. Mowinckel : At the moment we are trading away 0,1 money and 0,25 rare materials and we are receiving 0,03 money and 3,10 coal.
This is supplying all our needs for the moment. We also had a coal deal with Czechoslovakia, but after about 5 months they canceled it. We were offered to sell supplies to Finland, in exchange for money, However I declined this offer, since Von Den Fosse told me to stockpile our supplies.

Lankaas : Godt, godt, godt. Please continue.

J.L. Mowinckel : As from the UK, their monarchy is collapsing, but you can see that for yourself.

*Lankaas looks over the papers previously handed to him. *

Lankaas : Excellent, first that grumpy old man dies and then their pro German leader is forced to abdicate! Excellent....

J.L. Mowinckel : Yes and I have more for you, Finland has enjoyed an Economic boost, I just thought you would like to know...

Lankaas :..... What ?! What does this mean?!
Von Den Fosse : This means that their industrial efficiency has increased drastically.

Lankaas : I can't believe it, Finland... Finland of all countries, how can a country filled with snowmen increase their efficiency but we can't! Adolf, who is responsible for our inefficient workforce?

Adolf Indrebø : I do not have details for that right here, but I will surely let them know that you are not very happy.

Lankaas : Yes, you will do that, and tell them to do their job better. Or else the consequences will be most.... unpleasant.

Adolf Indrebø : Yes of course sir.

Lankaas : As for you Mowinckel, keep up the good work!

* Mowinckel bows in a gracious manner for Lankaas ' praise.*

Lankaas : Due the absence of the minister of security and the head of intelligence, Trygve and Alfred, I was told that you had the details of our intelligence Von Den Fosse.

Fosse : Indeed I do my dear duke. I was given these papers.

*Fosse hands Lankaas the intelligence report.*

Fosse : We have neutralized almost all of the spies whom were operating inside our glorious nation, and that includes one spy from each of our Scandinavian neighbors, but as you can see, they have all been dealt with.

Lankaas : Fantastisk!

Fosse : Indeed it is, however, one of our spies in Sweden has been caught and has been summarily shoot by their government.

Lankaas : Well, no need to mourn over him, he was incompetent, and got what he deserved.

Fosse : We have 2 spies operating inside Sweden at the moment, our goal is 10 spies.

Lankaas : Very well, let them continue their operations as usual.

Fosse : I have one more thing, evidently someone discovvered our rigging of the elections, and thus Arbeiderpartiet has lost some popularity, this is however, of no matter since we are firmly in control. A speech was held by Trygve to clarify the situation.

Lankaas : This is not good at all, I thought that we were over this by now! No matter, I guess whatever one does, the past will always come back to haunt you. Anything else from anyone?

Fosse : Yes, the new Gevær modell 1930 which you demanded is no ready to be given to our infantry divisions. The factory blueprints are finished, and construction have already started in Lillehammer, it is not clear when it will be finished, these things take time you know.

Lankaas : Yes I do, as for the old Krag Jørgensen rifle, give them to the militia as a temporary weapon, and then begin researching some new weapons for them as well.

Fosse : I am ahead of you sir, it has already been done!

Lankaas : Very good, flott arbeid!

Fosse : Here is a list of the new research projects, Adolf advised us to improve our industrial efficiency, so that is also on the list.

Lankaas : Excellent. I suppose that concludes our meeting. I will now take a walk in the gardens with Von Den Fosse , there is a rather important thing which we have to discuss.

Diary entry 1, 6.August 1936

Yesterday the Germans once again broke the Versailles treaty, this time in a very serious fashion.
The demilitarized Rhineland which had been seized after the 1.WW where occupied by German troops.
I thought that the allies would not tolerate such an act of aggression, but the allies have not shown any sign of retaliation.
This has given Lankaas much confidence, it has given him the belief that he can attack Sweden without allied intervention.
The attack on Sweden is a long cherished ambition, which the head of state and myself have in common.
I have evaluated our mobilization and the results of that evaluation has led me to the following conclusion:
The attack against our puny neighbor should be executed in late 1938 or early 1939.
When it comes to tactics and strategies, they will be developed during 1937 and 1938
Our victory will be achieved by my professional competence.

Generalfeltmarskalk Peter Von Den Fosse

Diary entry 2, 1.December 1936

A few days ago, a civil war erupted in Spain.
A nationalist movement led by General Francisco Franco rebelled against the republican government.
Franco has a lot of the regular army under his command and in addition to this he has received support from Italy and Germany.
The German force is named the Condor legion, it is rumored to be a highly efficient force.
The Italian force is called Corpo Truppe Volontarie, or CTV.

For us to learn the tactics employed in modern war, I have dispatched a liaison officer to the nationalists.
He will be following the war closely and report directly to me.
The head of state has no idea of this operation.
He will not be informed before we have studied the tactics and made conclusions of importance.

The Soviet government is rumored to support the Republicans with troops, tanks, planes etc.
I am, however, convinced that the fascist forces will prove superior and carry the day.

(The situation in Spain, the nationalist control over 2/3's of the country.)

Last edited:
Diary entry 3, 21. December 1936

Today I had a meeting with Jacob Von Der Lippe, commander of our navy and air force.
This meeting had been planned for quite a while, and we were finally able to hold it.
We discussed any future wars that might be looming on the horizon, and what role the navy would play in any of these.
The general agreement was that in any war the old submarines would not be useful.
Therefore, they have been ordered to disband.
The metal could be used to make bullets, guns, tanks etc, and the manpower for other branches.

This was an order which had been approved by the head of state.
The army has also been reorganized and the new command chain puts myself on top of the hierarchy.
In other words, I am now in charge of everything from coastal defense batteries, down to the rugged private.

After further discussion, we agreed that the navy had to be expanded and issued with newer ships.
This would be necessary to make it an effective force in the field.

Further I have taken steps to buy blueprints of tanks, ships etc from other nations.
The ones whom have proven most willing to sell are Sweden and France.

Generalfeltmarskalk Peter Von Den Fosse.

(The Norwegian order of battle.)

12.24 January 4. 1937 Norway, Oslo, Stortinget (Norwegian parliament)

*Things have been very quiet in Norway for the past six months, the duke has read reports concerning the progress of the ministers, and he was not at all happy.
The duke has assembled his ministers for an emergency meeting, all of the ministers are present at this meeting. - Something has to be done. *
Lankaas: Gentlemen, after reviewing your reports, especially the once concerning the spies, I have come to the understanding that our neutrality is not getting any lower, and our goal to declare war upon Sweden in 1938 is simply not possible.
Therefore myself and my dear friend Fosse came up with a plan to fix this after our last meeting at Sofienlund.
After six months of preparations the plan is now complete.
I will give the word to you Von Den Fosse.

Fosse: I am sorry my friends, I am sure you as well as I have a lot of other things to report, however, this will have to wait until next month.
The plan my dear sir's, is for the duke to hold a speech on Karl Johan's gate tomorrow.
During which he will start talking about Sweden and our views concerning that bloody country, as his speech comes to an end, we will stage an assassination attempt where Lankaas will be shot in his left arm.
The week after we will catch the "perpetrator" which conveniently will be Swedish.
This perpetrator will lead us to a spy organization, and in their headquarters we will find some documents concerning a Swedish coup against the Norwegian state, which would force us under the Swedish rule.
After the headlines which will follow this incident, we should be able to enforce new laws, which will send our production through the roof, and we should have no protesters when we declare war on Sweden.

Lankaas: Any questions?

Trygve H. Lie: Yes, I am wondering why you have not told anyone about this plan of your until the day before you execute your plan.
You should have told me at the very least, I am head of security.

Lankaas: Perhaps you should have known Trygve, but we could not risk it. This plan will determine the future of our country.

*The complete silence in the room signals that the plan has been accepted by everyone in the room.*

Lankaas: Adolf, I need you to keep a close eye on our production, especially after we pass the new laws.
For the next meeting I would like to know how much being shoot will help our industry.

Adolf Indrebø: Of course sir.

Lankaas: I am afraid that is all we have time for, we have still some minor preparations to do, so we must conclude this meeting now, and I will see you in a month.

Last edited:
Oh, buggers. They are setting up a trap for the good ol' brothers in Sweden. Shame on the Norsemen!

Diary entry 4, January 7. 1937

It has been a little under 48 hours since we executed our plan. In the long term it worked perfectly, and created exactly the kind of tension which we wanted. However, there were some minor complications. While the shooting was very successful, and duke Lankaas was not injured more than necessary and the surgeons said he would have a clean recovery, but they would be assassin was incapacitated in his escape attempt. The official supervisor of the GDRP (Grand Duke's Rikspoliti/Grand Duke's national police) stated in a report that the gunman broke his ankle while he was exciting via a ladder.
He was almost discovered by 8 construction workers, but the GDRP pulled off a daring commando raid and successfully extracted him from the scene.
Among many reports of violence in the city, one Danish, one Finish and 5 Swedish owned stores where completely vandalized by the masses. Among other Swedish casualties were 3 of the 5 shopkeepers who were publicly murdered by enraged nationalists.
The reason for the violence against the Swedish citizens was caused by rumors that they were the ones behind the assassination attempt, these rumors where spread by GDRP members and also some government officials.
The masses are now supporting our foreign relations policy and new laws concerning economy and drafts have been accepted by both people and government.
Our victory is now only a matter of time, war will come to our neighbor in a swift an brutal way.

One of many victims of the violence which occurred after the assassination attempt.

Last edited:
10.46 February 24. 1937 Norway, Arendal, Rådhuset

*The Norwegian ministers have once again been assembled to discuss the future of Norway, as well as the events of the last 8 months. The ministers have taken their seats in the meeting room originally belonging to the Major. *

Lankaas: God dag landsfrender. It has been a long time since our last official meeting, as you can see am now fully recovered from my wound. I am aware of the fact that you have a lot of reports which you wish to inform me about. What new laws have been issued lately, Adolf, the word is yours.

Adolf Indrebø: Yes sir, We have issued two new laws, the first one is that the industry is now preparing for war, this has given us huge new industrial capacity to produce new war materials and other essentials which will be needed. The second law is a three year draft, this means that our officer recruitment will be greatly increased, and we will gain a lot of new recruits.

Lankaas: Meget bra Adolf, dette liker vi å høre. As I said before the shootings, I would like to know how much our industrial capacity has increased.

Adolf Indrebø: Here are the figures sir.

*The green indicates improvements, and the red obviously marks the opposite.)

Lankaas: This is astounding, I am most satisfied with the results. Although we seem to be lacking some raw materials, do you have any plans for that?

Adolf Indrebø: I have preceded you sir, we have already made deals with Germany and several other nations, and our stockpiles are increasing, this report is just a bit old, I am sorry about that.

Lankaas: That is alright, I am most pleased with these developments. Any "news" on the diplomatic front?

J.L. Mowinckel: We have some news sir, as I was told, Von Den Fosse is most frightened when it comes to Nazi Germany , and I have therefore started to align us towards Germany, even though an alliance is out of the question, we would like to stay on their good-side for now...

Lankaas: Yes, perhaps it is wise not to upset the Austrian artist just yet, even though I feel that our dreams and ambitions will cross each other at some point. Please continue with your report.

J.L. Mowinckel: Yes, one of my subordinates wanted to reorganize the foreign ministry, however, I overruled him and that was final.

Lankaas: Very well, I would not have it any other way. Well, shall we move on to you Fosse ?

Von Den Fosse: Well since I has been given the job of overseeing our research for the moment, I would like to give you a list of our technological improvements. Here you go sir.

*Lankaas is handed the report.*

Von Den Fosse: As you can see we have developed new industrial machines, this will increase our industrial capacity. The old Krag Jørgensen rifle has been improved with better iron-sights and has been given to our militia and garrison divisions. This should give them a more potent small arm. Here is a picture of the new weapon.

Lankaas: I would like to try this weapon out for myself, I would like a new hunting rifle.

Von Den Fosse: I will have one custom made for you, my dear friend.

Lankaas: Thank you my dear friend, was that it ?

*The ministers confirm that the meeting can be ended.*

Lankaas: Very good, then I will se you again soon...

Last edited:
Nice style, Manstein. Keep it comin.

no worries!

Is this dead?:(
Would like to see u invade Scandinavia:)

no, no, no far from it! Norway has a long why to go!!
(singing on "it's a long way to tipparary")

it's just that I'm making this with a friend of mine and since we go to different schools and such... updates take time, but a new one with the attack on sweden soon ! :D