• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A bloody start to this tale of courtly intrigue! It looks like Hirokatsu and all of Takehiko's cousins could have used the nightingale floors in their residences.

Takehiko is certainly a suitable character for a tale of intrigue in Sengoku-era Japan!

Haha , i remember the Kenshin / Shingen episode with the gunbai . Gosh . Excellent writing and set the mood perfectly ! The blood on the screen and screen fighting is so classic !!!

axzhang - Haha, you know I'd say nightingale floors were my nemesis in the Tenchu games, but I was so hot at being a ninja that they weren't any problem :D

dinofs - It looks like, let's see how he plays out against the other characters in this setting!

canonized - Thanks XD They are pretty classic hallmarks, it's funny how they get so drilled into your head, the Kenshin and Shingen episode was a good one, but my favourite had to be (courtesy of wikipedia) when Oda Nobunaga tried to kill a man by shutting the door on his neck when he bowed, however the guy saved himself by sticking his gunbai in the floor. But I couldn't stop laughing at the idea of trying to kill someone by sliding the doors onto their neck!

headercopypn.png

Part II

The Wars of Independence 1476-1478

Despite Moriyake's actions, the Hosokawa clan were willing to negotiate a settlement. The continuing Onin War had opened a floodgate of rivalries and opportunism throughout Japan. The Hosokawa had fought for almost a decade with the Yamana clan over the ruins of Kyoto, and had come to naught, their strategy now switched from a seizure of power to damage control. Emissaries were sent to the island of Awaji and were properly received by Moriyake Takehiko. Their terms were lenient considering his actions, Moriyake could keep his land, and would not suffer punishment, but should return to his proper vassalage under Lord Hosokawa. The terms were unacceptable, and it seemed far better for Moriyake to gamble on victory. The negotiations were quickly abandoned.

Moriyake's first real act as Daimyo was to secure his power on the island, and to protect it from invasion. Land taken from unreliable retainers was parcelled out to Moriyake's friends and retainers. The chief beneficiaries being Moriyake's triad of advisors: Iwanaga, Tokushi and Sato. From this stable powerbase, he called his retainers to arms and prepared for a defensive war against the vengeful Hosokawa.

Circumstances changed rapidly in the summer of 1476 when the young Shogun Yoshihisa publically demanded that the open warfare between Daimyos cease. His words naturally went unheeded, but to everyone's great surprise, the Ashikaga Shogunate now had backing for their words. As the Hosokawa desperately held on to their position, the Shogunate army under Lord Uedo invaded the province of Settsu and in a set battle outside the town of Osaka, the Hosokawa army was brought to battle and defeated. The Hosokawa lands were in limbo, but even this surprising turn of events was not enough to stop the growing infighting within Japan. The Chosokabe lands in Shikoku were invaded by the Shimazu and Miyoshi clans destabilising the region. In August of 1476, Moriyake, having taken stock of the spiralling situation decided against a pre-emptive intervention against the Miyoshi clan, and instead raised war tributes from his vassals and authorised Iwanaga Katsurou to assist the Shogunate army in besieging the city of Kyoto.

Moriyake's army was grudgingly accepted among the Ashikaga battle lines, though it was rumoured that this impromptu alliance was negotiated between Moriyake and Uedo, creating the belief that the young Shogun was not in control of his government, and at worst, was not a puppet of his General Uedo. Regardless of the alliance however, the Moriyake army did not stop long at Osaka, and instead pressed on to the old battleground of Kyoto.

While the Moriyake army fought for control of Kyoto, the Hosokawa and the Yamana finally made peace in October of 1476, bringing an end to the ruinous Onin War. The result of the struggle for power over the Shogunate had resulted in the loss of all influence over the Shogun, and an untold amount of damage in Kyoto, the capital of Japan.
The Hosokawa clan were not entirely defeated however, not long after the peace with the Yamana, the Hosokawa turned its attention to Awaji, and as the first part of its liberation strategy, swept the Moriyake fleet from the sea. The sea battle was long fought, Moriyake's meagre fleet was commanded by Nitta Ryoukan, a near-unknown islander, but despite his skill, the three ships under his command were forced to flee. With the only real defense barrier gone, and the Moriyake army in Kyoto, the island of Awaji, and Moriyake Takehiko himself were in significant danger.

With the Moriyake army in Kyoto, Takehiko had to take desperate measures to protect himself from the coming invasion. However, the treasury, and manpower of the island was stretched, and Takehiko had to think of new ways to raise revenue. In April of 1477, Takehiko unveiled his land and tax reform in Awaji. Fishing grounds, the lifeblood of Awaji's economy were taken from retainers and villages and given to Takehiko himself, the rights to which became known as Sakana-kin, or fish money. Further, a survey of the island was taken personally by Takehiko, disused land was settled on the Daimyo's orders, and able men were pressed into training.[1]

The reforms were pushed through in a desperate time for both Moriyake and Hosokawa, two months later in July, Osaka surrendered to the army of the Ashikaga Shogun. Hosokawa Masamoto could not hope to face and win General Uedo on the fields of Settu, but it could be possible to force Moriyake into submission. Though Moriyake was building an army, a quick and speedy attack could capture Takehiko himself and put an end to the war, salvaging a part of the Hosokawa empire.

inavsion.png

The Hosokawa clan were certain of a successful invasion - it would be a small ray of hope until it's bloody failure

On the 13th of August, the Hosokawa fleet was spotted off the northern coast of Awaji, and it was reported that Hosokawa troops from Bitchu were in the process of disembarking. The Moriyake fleet under Nitta Ryoukan was rushed to the scene, but his arrival was far too late to stop the invasion force, and an attempt to cut off the invaders supplies was defeated by the appearance of Hosokawa warships. By the evening of the 13th, Hosokawa troops were setting up pickets outside the walls of Mihara; Takehiko's residence. Moriyake was however prepared for a siege, and remained inside the town.

Hopes for a Hosokawan resurgence were lessened somewhat by the news that the city of Kyoto, though in ruins, had fallen to the Moriyake General, Iwanaga Katsurou, Iwanaga was attended by Sato Hideaki who sent a formal invitation to the Shogun, Yoshihisa to view the city. The invitation was accepted, and Moriyake Takehiko was confirmed as Lord of Awaji by the Shogun. Iwanaga did not tarry long in Kyoto, but, after taking on supplies and reinforcements, headed south towards the Hosokawa province of Bitchu. Sato negotiated safe passage for the army with the Akamatsu clan, and drew up a treaty of friendship between the two clans. By November, Iwanaga had swept into Bitchu.

This victory was added to by Takehiko himself, who having trained a sizeable force of men inside the walls of Mihara, led them on a bloody sally against the Hosokawa. The raged for some days outside the gates of the town, probing attacks on each side continued until Moriyake cast the die and threw himself into battle. Clad in black armour and surrounded by his bodyguards, Moriyake fought savagely and the push succeeded in breaking the Hosokawa lines. The besieging army broke and made for the beaches in all haste and little order. The Moriyake army, with superior knowledge of the land wittled away at the Hosokawa numbers, with the last of them being killed on the beaches of Awaji. Moriyake had won an unexpected victory,[2] but had sustained a small arrow wound while fighting on the beaches. Moriyake spent the winter recuperating, another minor attempt at retaking the island was defeated, and with it went all hopes of a Hosokawa victory in the war. Thanks to fortuitous circumstances, Moriyake could not only survive, but could now also gain a victory over his erstwhile liege, the prize being the province of Bitchu.

Despite the Ashikaga attempt to bring Japan back under the Shogunate, the situation continued to worsen. In mid January, 1478, a gathering of farmers and tradespeople, led by their elders spoke out against the continued war and chaos that had captured the islands. This upset, originating in the province of Settsu drew the peasantry in and preached against the excesses of the Samurai wars that continued unabated. Within days the gathering had turned into an army seven thousand strong, peasants had been joined by disaffected Ji-Samurai[3], Ronin[4] and other less noble elements. Their announced goal was simple, the ending of the caste system, and the destruction of the military Shogunate. Their threat was made all to clear when the equally numerous Shogunate army under Uedo was narrowly defeated by the band of rebels. Any compulsion the Daimyo had toward observing the rights of the Shogun disappeared, the Ashikaga had now lost the necessary attributes of control and mastery, the rebels, led by a man known only as Masaru, would storm Osaka, killing the Samurai and officials that still lived before heading north to Kyoto.

But though central Japan was suffering under the storm of revolution, the Moriyake were more concerned by the Akamatsu succession. Sato Hideaki had been fostering relations with the Akamatsu as a fulfilment of Moriyake hopes to form an alliance with a mainland power in the hopes of projecting their own influence, and also to deter any Miyoshi attacks. The Miyoshi clan had made no secret of their desire to take all of Shikoku, and had formally claimed the island of Awaji.[5] It was thus a great setback when the Miyoshi and Akamatsu clans agreed upon the succession of Miyoshi Katsutoyo to the heirless Akamatsu Noriyasu, and though it kept the two clans separate in terms of government, their interests were totally aligned.

On the 25th of October, the city of Soja fell to the army of Iwanaga, the provinces of Bitchu and Bingo were taken and in November, the Hosokawa formally accepted the loss of the provinces and paid an indemnity to Lord Moriyake. The city of Kyoto and Yamashiro, though taken by Moriyake were technically pledged by Moriyake to go to the Shogun Yoshihisa, but the reality of the revolution in the area meant that the land was to be fought over between the Shoguns and rebel armies until Kyoto's fall to Masaru's rebels in April 1479.[6]

The Mimisaka Campaign 1478-1480

In November, 1478, Moriyake had survived and won the war of independence against the Hosokawa clan, and with his attention turned to the Miyoshi clan, he was taken off-guard by the Akamatsu declaration of war against him. Iwanaga moved fast and headed east to invade the Mimisaka region, Sato Hideaki was smuggled out of Akamatsu territory and Moriyake fretted over whether to remain in Awaji or move to reinforce Iwanaga. Moriyake used new revenues to enlarge his armies and laid claim to the province of Samuki on Shikoku island. Iwanaga travelled over hard terrain, and made slow progress in capturing the region, the first battle was hard fought amongst the mountainous landscape, Iwanaga however took the victory over his opponent, Mikumo Akira.

By December, Moriyake had made his decision and reinforced Iwanaga, creating a force of three thousand men in Mimisaka. However, the Akamatsu clan, far larger than the Moriyake, and stronger than the Hosokawa, when Miyoshi Katsutoyo brought the full brunt of the Akamatsu armies to bear, Takehiko and Katsurou were hard pressed to hold on to their gains. Miyoshi had brought a full thousand men more than the Moriyakes, and though the hard terrain worked in their favour, Takehiko knew that he could not sustain a prolonged war without help, in June of 1479, the Moriyake army was defeated, though casualties were relatively light, their position was rapidly becoming untenable.

Moriyake sent spies to Wakasa to seek out and support old Ishikki[7] supporters, the spies found a fertile ground within Wakasa and it was easy to persuade disaffected retainers to rise up against the Akamatsu clan. This was the help that Moriyake needed, in August, reinforcements from Bitchu joined the main army and with the Miyoshi Katsutoyo drawn away, Moriyake led the attack against Mimisaka. Just a month later, Katsutoyo returned behind the news that the Akamatsu army had been defeated by the rebels. Moriyake seized his chance, optimistic for another victory and attacked Katsutoyo, the victory however, was pyrrhic at best. Both sides had suffered heavy losses, and Moriyake manpower was no more. Moriyake retreated to Bitchu to recover and prepare defensive positions.

The attack never came however. The war and the northern rebellion in Wakasa had evidently weakened the Akamatsu enough that in November 1479, they offered a truce under the terms of status quo. Moriyake accepted, victory was unattainable this time. The war against Akamatsu had brought home the realisation that the Moriyake clan was dangerously alone, after months of negotiations, the Shimazu, who had recently fought against the Miyoshi clan, agreed to an alliance with the Moriyake. With the news that the Toki clan, previously a small time clan had after several victories over their neighbours, taken Kyoto, the alliance was welcome news. The clans in the south would have to band together, or enlarge themselves to counter the new strength of the Toki clan.

mapcopy.png

Japan in 1480​

[1] - Simple Land Reform decision
[2] - Hosokawa were sieging Awaji when my troops finished training, figured it would be one of those massacre battles, was pleasantly surprised when I won.
[3] - Ji-Samurai were poorer Samurai, tied to land, a sort of mix between farmer and Samurai.
[4] - Ronin are masterless Samurai, if they could not find a Lord, many turned to banditry, others simply became farmers or tradesmen, effectively going down in the social scales.
[5] - Miyoshi have a core on Awaji, and sent me insults every now and again =(
[6] - Large rebel stack basically fights the Ashikaga armies for quite a long time until the province is taken by the rebels. Technically I could have demanded and taken Yamashiro in the peace deal, but I thought that was way too ridiculous!
[7] - Nationalist revolt for Ishikki core on Wakasa.

Last edited:
I say that you should invade Shikoku.

(How did Toki get so big? :eek:)

Hm, one would think that the Bafuku would not allow Toki's reckless territorial expansion at the expense of other Daimyos. What is the shogunate thinking!

Spot on with the Kanji, 文明 12th year. Nice, clean map too.

dinofs - I think I'll agree with you there, Shikoku looks like the best place to move.

axzhang - Indeed, I think by this point in the game we're already on to our next Shogun, who is incredibly young, with Uedo defeated by the rebels at Osaka and Kyoto, it's fair to say that the Ashikaga have lost their mandate ;) Thanks too :)

I'd love some more feedback on what you readers think of the updates? Would you like them shorter? More of something? Less of something?

I'm also thinking of switching the game over to MMU, I've had a peek of their events for the Sengoku period and it's massive :D, so opinions if any? I'm already leaning towards giving it a go, switching over wouldn't be too hard..

Yup, the MMU Sengoku scenario is like a mod by itself. I'd say go for it.

If it's not too complicated and won't cause the collapse of your game, please do! :D

If it's not too complicated and won't cause the collapse of your game, please do! :D

Agreed. Don't underestimate the difficulty of porting a game over - but if you're up to the task then definitely. I haven't played the MMU Sengoku, but I've heard great things about it. In my Vijayanagara game I keep seeing their events in my chat log and wish I was involved. ;)

Well, the good news is that I've managed to semi-recreate the game in MMU, it just needs a little tweaking and then it'll be good to go soon! Now, I think I'll give Vicky2 a go for a little bit :)

Thanks again for reading and stay tuned!

So you know, there's a reason why you should post things in that thread that announces new AARs - so that people like me can be there from the beginning instead of having to catch up :eek:o

Well - great work so far. I like the fight scenes especially. They seem rather pragmatic and on the realistic side, and no less epic for that. It's tough, obviously, when you start with so small a clan, but Takehiko's endless ambition and ferocity probably makes up for it.

MMU - does MMU have a map mod involving Awaji, or is that in vanilla also?

Haha, it's good to have you along! Had I known updating the library would have alerted you I'd have done it sooner!

I had originally started the AAR with MEIOU, which has a far bigger map, but far less events for Sengoku Jidai, out of curiosity, MMU and Vanilla don't have Awaji as a province, so I had to lose that one, though I did mod the map so it's attached to my other province now rather than Awa :)

Well, everything is modded, I've played a few years, and will get working on an update once I decide whether to do a little narrative episode, or carry on with the history book.

Very nice. I like your writing style :)

Thanks very much for reading :) The next update should be coming within the next few days!

headercopypn.png

Part III

The Nagato Campaign - 1480-1484

Despite the lack of a tangible victory against the Akamatsu clan, the Moriyake were now able to settle and consolidate their previous victories. Since the rebellion of 1477, the Moriyake had known little peace, and this period was vital for ensuring that they would remain as a power in Japan. Takehiko now ruling from his castle at Koriyama[1] dedicated himself to the administration of his realm and the expansion of the Moriyake bureaucracy. Although Moriyake's administrative skill was not the greatest seen in Japan, his sizeable and highly competent bureaucracy became the real strength behind the Moriyake holdings. A notable creation of 1480 was a network of secret police and spies dedicated to the security of the Moriyake clan, these ninja kept close eyes on commoner and noble alike.[2]

buebureubureaoc.png

The Bureaucracy would become one of the greatest strengths of the Moriyake clan

But while the Moriyake consolidated, the Shogunate, which had been held by the Ashikaga clan since 1336 was taken from their grasp by Toki Shigeyori who in August of 1480, became the new Shogun, the seizure of power was made with all due decorum. Shigeyori had met with the Shogun Yoshihisa, now aged just under 15 and carefully advised him that the Emperor wished to invest the Toki clan with the powers and honours of the Bakufu. Yoshihisa agreed at the urging of Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado. The chaos that had characterised the closing years of the Ashikaga Shogunate was brought to a swift end with a strong centralised power ruling the clans of Japan. Like other Daimyo, Moriyake was caught on the wrong side of the Toki Shogunate. Besides previously being branded a troublemaker for their rebellion in Awaji and invasion of Bitchu, Moriyake Takehiko was a friend to the Ashikaga clan, and though Takehiko made conciliatory overtures to the new Shoguns, he still remained a distrusted vassal of Toki Shigeyori.[3]

Moriyake continued to expand his influence outside his own domain, in December of 1480, at the urging of his advisors, Moriyake agreed to the marriage of his son Takeyoshi to Hina, daughter of Yamana Masatoyo and of his daughter Mayu to Toki Masahide, the second son of the Shogun. Although these moves went some way to increasing Moriyake power, it was still not enough for Takehiko who desired a faster extension of his power.

It was thus a stroke of luck when Moriyake Takehiko was contacted by vassals of the Mori clan; among them: Yoshida Hiroshi and Kusaka Nobu, who offered him their allegiance if he succeeded in overthrowing Mori Hiromoto and captured the Nagato region. The situation was far too good for Moriyake to pass up. The Shogun was at this time in the process of resolving all disputes over land ownership in Japan, and he had yet to encompass Nagoto.[4] The Mori clan also suspected little of any plans for invasion, these emissaries had been sent in secret, and the two clans were on cordial terms for the most part; both being supporters of the Ashikaga clan.

By the Spring of 1481, Moriyake Takehiko had completed his preparations for the campaign in Nagato and crossed the border into Mori held territory. Assistance, though unneeded, was not forthcoming from the Shimazu clan, who remained quiet. An anti-social approach to alliances was now becoming a central part to Shimazu foreign policy and few were surprised. However, it was possible for Moriyake to make enough noise and entitle himself to some sort of recompense. There were however, better pickings to be interested in.

Once more, Takehiko's trusted friend Iwanaga Katsurou led the invasion force, he encountered little opposition however, for no Mori retainers attempted to bar his progress towards the Mori castle at Hagi. Singular opposition was met on the 6th May, when the Mori army, outnumbered 3:1 met the Moriyake army in the Nagato Gorge, outside the village of Midobara. The gravity of the situation was further enhanced by Mori Hiromoto's decision to command the battle personally. It was a desperate defence, it's strategy hinged on holding the Moriyake on the narrow pass around Midobara. It was a plan apparent to all, and when the two armies met in the early hours of the 9th of May 1481 it proved to be a short-lived battle. Iwanaga led the cavalry charge that smashed the Mori lines, Mori Hiromoto fled the field before his men were hunted and cut down by the victorious Moriyake samurai. 208 Moriyake soldiers were killed or wounded, none of the Mori soldiers survived the battle or the aftermath.

battleofnagato.png

The anti-climactic Battle of Midobara was the last gamble of Mori Hiromoto

Days later, the castle at Hagi was under siege. The Mori family in their entirety were secluded behind the stone walls, and were now surrounded by Moriyake. The siege of Hagi was uneventful, most of the Samurai of the Nagato region welcomed Moriyake as their Lord, and those that didn't made no attempt to support the besieged Mori or ask for help. The Shogun's passive approval of the takeover and lack of disciplinary action made it clear that the Nagato region was to be Moriyake land.

On the 5th of June 1482, after just over a year, the gates of Hagi castle were opened to Lord Moriyake. Mori Hiromoto, his son Masahiro and other members of the Mori household committed Seppuku. It was the end of the Mori clan, and the Nagato region was formally given over the Moriyake clan.[5]

hagicastle.png

The end of the Mori

Although legal possession of the Nagato and Suo provinces was Moriyake's by decree of the Shogun, it did nothing to alleviate the tension between the Bakufu and Takehiko, and the Moriyake continued to try and find counterweights to the rejuvenated Shogunate. In October of 1482 after several months of negotiation, the Moriyake clans, and the Ashikaga clans agreed to an alliance in the hopes of defending each other against the Toki Shoguns. The Ashikaga Daimyo, young Yoshihisa had grown to maturity in hard times, his short rule had seen the Onin war and the collapse of peace in Japan, and he had been deposed at last by Toki Shigeyori who was becoming the Shogun that Yoshihisa could not have been. When Toki Shigeyori renewed the requirement for Shugo and Daimyo to reside within the newly rebuilt Kyoto, Moriyake had taken the opportunity to visit the young Yoshihisa and acted to forment the young Lord's ambitions.

Takehiko's younger brother, Takehide was given the role of Shugodai[6] and the new vassals in the Nagato region were evaluated. But by 1483, it was felt throughout Japan that the order lost in 1467 had been restored, largely in part by the more militaristic Toki Shogunate. Despite the distrust between Shigeyori and Takehiko, the Moriyake Lord was not only tolerated in Kyoto, but was treated with the appropriate dignities of brother-in-law, so much so that in April of 1483, Takehiko announced his heir in Kyoto as his eldest son, Takeyoshi, now fifteen years old.

takeyoshiheir.png

From the son of a minor Samurai to heir of a large Clan

A month later Lord Shimazu negotiated another alliance with Moriyake, who despite the failure of the previous alliance felt that more allies couldn't help but strengthen his position, at least in its image.

By the end of 1483, the Moriyake clan had their position in Japan, and their lands legitimised by the Shogun Shigeyori, and were building a steady web of allies. Future inheritance was secure, but the Moriyake needed further avenues of expansion, avenues that were tightly controlled by the Toki Shogunate.

[1] Koriyama, the castle that existed before the construction of Hiroshima.
[2] Chose Internal Security as my 4th NI
[3] Got the distrusted retainer modifier - pretty happy about that :D
[4] The Toki had been going around guaranteeing everyone in Japan - annoying.
[5] Got the core from the mission
[6] Shugodai - Deputy Shugo

Nagato, eh?

I bet that the Toki guarantees must get really annoying...