• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord_D.
The first time you scanned Walrus I accidentally first told you that your scan resulted him as a seer. I quickly corrected it and said villager. You asked if I had to account for you being mindcontrolled. Since then I've wanted to tell you "No, I had to account for you being mindcontrolled by a new sorceror." :p

Well. RATS!

:p

Well, that was fun.

My scans went
EURO: villager
jonti: villager
walrus: seer! Wooohoooo! This was a semi-random guess, but he was being really quite active.
Mind Control Walrus: at first I had it to scan my pack as villagers and everyone else as wolves, but then I noticed the danger, and changed it so that all were Villaegrs, negating any scans.
Lord_d: priest: by this point I had no idea how I was being so lucky, although his RP might have given it away.
Mind Conrtol Lord_d, all appear as villagers again

By this point my pack was being ripped apart, and I sort of lost control of the situation. In hind site I shouldn't have made the mind fuck as obvious as it was, but I do believe both it and the Guardian council were overpowered.

Anyway I concede this point since the garlic thing only slightly mitigates it. Perhaps making the garlic lover be scannable by goodies would make it more balanced. However then the goodies would have 100% certain goodies which is also not fun. Still adding something like a chef as a role might work ;)

The Chef could scan to tell if a player feels strongly about garlic, but would not know whether that person liked or disliked it. Also, the entire GC should probably have been Garlic Lovers.

BTW does everyone agree that this game shouldn't be counted as a village win, but instead should be considered abandoned/void ?

No, J. Pussypartout loss.

This game was not broken. The Village was. In the words of Dublish, it was infuriatingly stupid. Personally I prefer mind boggling bad.

Like Slinky said, in the late game the strongest pack was severely disadvantaged by the No Cannibalism rule. They couldn't hunt their opponents, they had to get them lynched. This is hard to do while staying still and surely the Village would see the stupidity in eliminating the weakest pack and giving all baddie power to the strongest? I was wrong. In fact I was very wrong. The village went after the weakest pack hard and fast. On the 5th day after EURO had died, the Seer/Priest railroaded the discussion into J. Pass, LS and Racz. Also a bad move given that they had virtually no excess information and thus stymied discussion for no purpose. In fact there was no discussion. It was just, here are these 3 targets vote on one of them. And people did. What I assume brough LS into these names was that he brought up eternaly_lost thus trying to save Lemeard and Rex from the lynch. Both Gangrel Wolfes. This was at least what made Marty consider him evil. But saving Gangrel wolfes would make him a likely Gangrel Wolf and thus not someone you would kill first.

That ended day 5th. So did anyone go back and look for any suspicious voting? Perhaps anyone who seemed very eager to kill a wolf from the weakest pack? Nope. And in fact there was some good material. Quickly the voting was

Looking back, don't you think this deserved a little comment? The old, he who votes 3th or 4th is a wolf theorem is not perfect. But its a good start for discussions. Especially when the target is a wolf from the weakest pack and it would seem obvious from the rules that the strong pack would be very eager to lynch the weakest pack. Wasn't obvious to the village apperently. As icing on the cake, 5th and final vote on LS was made by Jerard.

Next day. Dublish make a bad comment about breaking the tie, and people quickly get together to kill him. There isn't a lot of analysis or talking, but what there is makes it clear that whoever is voting him think he is a Gangrel and has no problem killing another Gangrel. Marty99, Jonti-h and Jerard. Anyhoo, he gets lynched. Is a nice boy and doesn't take down Marty99 with him.

We are now on the 8th day, with 2 days of voting just passed one would suppose that some sort of analysis would come. It does! Randakar points out (finally) that the baddies might have known that Dublish might be evil and thus voted him up there. Good theory. Strange that he doesn't mention LS as well, but good theory still. Lord_D picks up on it and votes Jerard, becuase Jerard voted on both LS and Dublish. Good theory, gets totally ignored. Ends up with Jerard silently unvoting. A better candidate than Jerard was Jonti-h, who had cast the 3rd vote. The bandwagoning vote, on both Dublish and Lord Strange. That ought to be suspicious. He ought to have at least been mentioned. But no he wasn't. Totally ignored. Instead people vote on several goodies, not because there is anything that would really indicate their baddieness, but because there isn't any. Surely the total absence of proof is a damming proof? In the end, 5 people are brought up to be viable lynch candidates. All of them brought up by Villagers, except PM who was brought up by a drunk Ciryandor. :p ALL five candidates are goodies. The chance of randomly picking out 5 goodies out of the 11 available was 10.5%. In other words, random chance would have done a far better job than the village. No a very flattering sign. And if we assume that Random is bright enough not to pick either the Seer or the Priest, then the chance of randomly picking 5 goodies drop to an astonishing 6.3%. Astonishing bad, because thats what the village managed to do. Another point of baddnes was that the top three candidates were so silent and had been voted on so little, that even had the tie been carried out and had one of them turned out to be vil. Then very little voting analysis would have been gained, certainly not enough to warrant the loss of another parity day.

Luckily for the village Slinky steps in and saves the day! Breaking the tie and only killing Rysz. Wow I though. Surely going against the will of the village, even if the village has made a bad decision is going to land Slinky in a world of hurt? Perhaps I thought, the village is waking up now? I was wrong. Slinky gets 2 angry votes that are quickly retracted and no comments on why he might do that. Nobody says that perhaps he was trying to save a packmate, either syber or PM. Perhaps he was a baddie trying to make the village spend 2 days lynching goodies rather than one? Perhaps Walrus/Lord_D should have have remembered that Slinky had told them he was a witness and that the Gangrels had had an Vampire Witness. Perhaps he was the Malkavian equivalent? Nope, he got ignored. Primary candidates become silent people against there is little evidence except that they are silent. Funnyly enough, the bandwagoning 3rd votes are cast by Slinky and Sekenr both baddies. Still noone picking up on that or even mentioning bandwagoning or bandwagoning vote. Heck the word analysis is pretty much gone. von Loch Ness is killed and the final real day is reached.

Here as we know. J. Pass outed his packmates and the game ended. As this was the final real day, it is worth looking at the situation. Normally when baddies win a big victory, the final village is filled with Zombies and people blindly obeying the baddies. The Village is, in other words, completely in the hands of the baddies who control the lynch. This game was different, the lynch was completely in the hands of the Goodies. Those that decided who should be killed in the lynch were all goodies, just like they had been the previous days. And even at this late stage, where everything had fallen out nicely for the Malkavian pack the Village still had a chance of pulling out a win. They dominated the lynch, had people who (usually) think very well and baddies who had made several mistakes. But the analysis was sorely sorely lacking. Note this post by Walrus who summaries his views on people. Very little actual analysis. Off course, this wasn't his fault. There was a general lack of quality analysis, and when it did appear it seemed to get utterly ignored.

The people who think this game was broken, because this village got owned by the Malkaviens need to go back and read the last few days again. The world of hurt the village entered was mainly of their own doing. First by killing of the weakest pack, thus giving all evil powers to the strongest pack. Then failing to make quality analysis / commenting on quality analysis and instead mindlessly going after silent people. This game was designed to be without a functional JL, but instead with an active village who was given plenty of material to fight the baddies. Instead of using the material the goodies decided both to reduce the material available by killing of the weak pack quickly, then by ignoring whatever material pop up.

It pretty much amounted to the village making a lot of small mistakes that added up to huge failure. Add to that that not many people wanted to put in the effort neccesary to do all the analysis and some slightly out of balance rules and the village just collapsed on itself. People complain that the scanners and witnesses were useless therefore they had no information to go on. In other games if the get found out they get hunted or sometimes they get lynched. When that happens the village realizes that they have to turn to analysis. In this game the scanners lived but were basically no more than known goodie villagers, dead as scanners, and it seems like the village just wanted to wait until the scanners got better.

After dublish was lynched I realized that it was a big mistake for the village to have destroyed the weakened pack. Of course once Lord Strange was lynched we could have hunted dublish since we did know he was a Vampire but we were worried about witnesses and were not sure that he was the only one left in Gangrel. If the village would have analyzed after killing two of Gangrel and deduced who the other two likely members were and instead tried to find the other pack it would have left the two packs fighting each other and the Sorcerers would have continually been fighting each other for control of the scanners.

That's a pretty accurate summation there WD ;-)

The other thing to take note of here though: Who did we have in this village who was actually analytic enough to notice? Analysis was basically being done by marty and me. That's about it. Thistle was too busy claiming to be a goodie to actually analyse. Walrus and Lord_D seemed to do a little thinking but instead of sharing they just pulled names out of a hat without telling anyone why. Polar, Syber, Kriszo, von Loch Ness .. all of them were basically zombies, having very little to say and doing little to no analysis.

There were three things that ticked me off during the game:

First was Slinky voting Rysz breaking the tie. Things happen, people make mistakes, oh well.

Third was the sabotage.

Second was von Loch Ness saying he purposefully plays like crap as a villager hoping to get eaten or lynched and only plays well when he has an important role. For one, that screams to future wolves: eat me if I am actually interested in the game. For two, if he had done some analysis and found the second pack he would have really shined this game and turned it around but instead he sat on his thumbs feeling sorry for himself for not having drawn a better lot. If you play like crap as a villager then you are always a crappy player.

Second was von Loch Ness saying he purposefully plays like crap as a villager hoping to get eaten or lynched and only plays well when he has an important role. For one, that screams to future wolves: eat me if I am actually interested in the game. For two, if he had done some analysis and found the second pack he would have really shined this game and turned it around but instead he sat on his thumbs feeling sorry for himself for not having drawn a better lot. If you play like crap as a villager then you are always a crappy player.

Indeed.
For the record, I went after vLN not because I was a vampy but because he was playing like a tosser. I'd have done it as a villager too.

Indeed.
For the record, I went after vLN not because I was a vampy but because he was playing like a tosser. I'd have done it as a villager too.

I figured as much.

But the thing was, he was semi-cleared in my book when you started to go after him. I agreed that he needed to die on the principle, but at the same time I went .. hmn.. about you.

jerard said:
the Guardian council were overpowered

At the start they prevented 3 hunts or so. That's pretty good for a protector.
However, overpowered? The GC had no idea if their members were really good or not and that made a lot of difference. They needed each other if they were going to be effective, sure, but how could you tell for sure if you hadn't been infiltrated?

The only thing you could perhaps consider OP was the GC sitting on top of me for days on end. If not for all the garlic around I didn't think that would stop you guys very much...

I liked the GC. Perhaps they should work more like a traditional GA but otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing that concept back in a game.

I'd like to see the GC role expanded to include optional scans of anyone NOT in the GC (so they don't just check each other out). If a simple majority of the GC could agree to scan somebody, then they all would be told the result. They need not have the same scanning ability as either the priest, seer, or sorc, however. Maybe just a simple "villager or something else" scan. This could not only make the GC more powerful, but also make a baddie or two in the GC all the more complicated, as they could send in their own sneak orders without telling the other members. I sat out most of the GC protection orders, mostly because the rest of the group quickly decided on a protection order, and I saw no reason to contradict them. But if you make the order potentially more powerful, that could lead to a greater need to be active not only in the village, but in the GC itself. If a baddie GC member discovers that two others want to scan one of his packmates, he has to find a way to convince them not to (or to otherwise sabotage the scan) without tipping his hand. This would require delicacy.

The GC's scans would never return the identity of the one being scanned, just the role. For protection orders, it would never say who was protected that day (just as the GA is never explicitly told, since he should already know); the GC would just have to hope/assume the name chosen publicly was the one actually protected. If the person they tried to protect turned up dead that night (like maybe an outed seer, or a JL spokesman), they'd know there's a mole in their organization...but who? Also, a sabotaged scan could misdirect the GCs attention, without knowing the error until it's too late to fix it.

This could turn the GC into a more community-minded group with Ouija-board like power, where you can't be certain who is and who isn't actually trying to steer the scan or protection. Maybe there's three baddies in the GC at the start, split between two packs. Maybe they're all good. The GC members would have to pay careful attention to see that their orders are actually being carried out, and if anything goes wrong, it could set off a new round of paranoia. This would balance out the additional power that comes from the optional scanning abilities, which I suspect would be the more popular option at first. The limited ability of the scan (the doctor would return the same result as a wolf) would prevent this from being overpowering, while a "villager" scan would still return a positive goodie role which would be potentially more useful than either the seer or the priest (which would need one scan each to confirm villager status), especially if one of the two of them dies. The GC would know for certain if someone they scanned is a villager, not just that they aren't a cultist or aren't a wolf. One scan could be enough to clear someone (barring curses), but only if they scan a villager, otherwise a rather "dead meat" role.

Also, if the GC scans a baddie, any baddie from the same pack who's also in the GC (but who gets outvoted) will also be able to tip off his packmates, so they'd know not to defend that scanned baddie, and maybe even lead the charge against him to gain some cred. This is, of course, assuming that a non-villager scan = baddie in their eyes, which could still happen, especially if one of the GC members is also in the JL and knows the identity of many/most other non-villager goodies and can thus assume that any other non-villager result means a baddie.

Just a thought. It's a simple concept actually, but it can lead to a lot of possibilities, both for power and paranoia, while fleshing out this new GC role, and potentially creating a new village-within-the-village.

Last edited:
Just a thought. It's a simple concept actually, but it can lead to a lot of possibilities, both for power and paranoia, while fleshing out this new GC role, and potentially creating a new village-within-the-village.

Very nice. I like it.
Not sure if it still needed to be able to protect though. Maybe I'd give it a different name as well - Elder Council or something ..