+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constable & Courthouse?

EU3 Complete

Question Constable & Courthouse?

Soo basically in all my games I've ALWAYS built Courthouses in my provinces.
    If I get a Colony I'll build a Fort then the Courthouse.
    I've never built Constables because I don't like the Extra revolt risk. Though are they worth it when you combine the two? So then it's even revolt risk with Extra Direct tax?
    I always feel like I'm one step closer to collapse if I'd have constables..

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    You should be fine if you build Constables only in cored and converted provinces, and watch your War Exhaustion. But ultimately it does depend somewhat on your playing style.

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

It's generally ok for build, I always build them,

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

You can build them in any province you want, core or non-core, converted or not. Just be mindful of the revolt risk. And prioritize high tax core provinces first to get the most bang for the buck earliest.

It is an excellent strategy for a colonizer. Not only do you get the 50% tax bonus, but having a constable in every province in the world will increase demand for exotic goods by 50% of base. Same goes for tax assessors and customs house. You get the most out of market place of course - demand is quadrupled.

EU3 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    You can build them in any province you want, core or non-core, converted or not. Just be mindful of the revolt risk. And prioritize high tax core provinces first to get the most bang for the buck earliest.

It is an excellent strategy for a colonizer. Not only do you get the 50% tax bonus, but having a constable in every province in the world will increase demand for exotic goods by 50% of base. Same goes for tax assessors and customs house. You get the most out of market place of course - demand is quadrupled.
    Yeah I only decided to colonize in the 1550's.. So I haven't got much land compared to Spain & Great Britain! But I might build the constables in my High tax provinces & then in the Colonies?

I always build them ASAP. +50% direct tax is no joke.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

for provinces that are not dirt poor that's worth it .. for the 1,2,and 3 base tax , too , but it's much longer to pay off
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anweRU View Post
    You can build them in any province you want, core or non-core, converted or not. .
    Of course you can builld them everywhere (I often do) but since the OP seemed to be very concerned about the extra revolt risk I suggested the safest places. That way he'll enjoy some additional tax income without a single extra revolt (since these 'safe' provinces should have a considerably negative revolt risk).

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Extra revolt risk can be reduced by using the Provincial Court System decision . Ultimately, I build constables even in base tax 1 provinces towards the end, when I have lots of money, and the trade value increase to my CoTs makes for very nice research speeds.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I consider Constables to be the third most important building in the game (after Level 1 Forts and Workshops). They massively increase your cash flow.

bring the game home!
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    I consider Constables to be the third most important building in the game (after Level 1 Forts and Workshops). They massively increase your cash flow.
    QFT. My priorities are always Fort1 Workshop Constable. Especially in colonies, which will always be your culture and (typically) your religion, just how bad is your WE and Stability that you have to worry about the RR from Constables?

-Pat
    It always takes a New Yorker to bring some sense into the discussion. -christianx
    I'm not a professional cynic; I do this out of the goodness of my heart
    Spreading Evil: Pat Crowe's Autobiography
    /me gives Pat a gold star. -MrT
    Fan of the Week, 22 Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by pjcrowe View Post
    QFT. My priorities are always Fort1 Workshop Constable. Especially in colonies, which will always be your culture and (typically) your religion, just how bad is your WE and Stability that you have to worry about the RR from Constables?

-Pat
    Is it worth it to build constable in colonies though? A colony only have ~50% tax compared to ~140% in the home continent. An additional 50% direct tax would be 25%base tax+workshop vs. 70% (base+workshop).

Lt. General
    EU3 Collectors Edition

I build everything everywhere eventually.

How could you look at the +50% direct tax increase and think "is it worth it?" Build, sir, build!!

Quote Originally Posted by dido View Post
    Is it worth it to build constable in colonies though? A colony only have ~50% tax compared to ~140% in the home continent. An additional 50% direct tax would be 25%base tax+workshop vs. 70% (base+workshop).
    You would want to build them in land connected provinces first of course, but +50% is +50% regardless of where the province is or what it's status is. I build them in newly conquered provinces, for example, to boost that 10% to 60%. I also usually try to combine them with courthouses fairly quickly. That +2.00 revolt risk isn't a big deal under ideal circumstances (or even 1/2 decent ones) but the first time you change government for -4 stab hit (or any healthy stab hit event), it becomes more relevant.
    “War is not merely a political act but a real political instrument, a continuation of political intercourse, a carrying out of the same by other means.”
    -Karl Von Clausewitz

"Diplomacy is a continuation of war by other means."
    - Zhou En Lai

+ Reply to Thread