• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why ridiculous?:confused:

I made a thread about this that got closed, so it's obviously not going to change. In short, there were several indigenous African countries that had complex societies and had significant interaction with the Europeans (more than just getting assimilated into colonies). In a historical game it hardly makes sense to ignore them.

I made a thread about this that got closed, so it's obviously not going to change. In short, there were several indigenous African countries that had complex societies and had significant interaction with the Europeans (more than just getting assimilated into colonies). In a historical game it hardly makes sense to ignore them.

Paradox is notoriously uninterested in properly representing countries outside of Europe, which is a bit frustrating, but now I've just given up hope on serious improvements in that regard and it doesn't bother me as much.

OK, but that's not really my concern. Some of the African minor "countries" you guys suggested might lack the essential social and political organization to be labeled as a country. Anyway, you can always mod them after the release. For me, as long as the map is geographically accurate and my favorite Madagascar is there, I'm satisfied. And I can even find the Comoros now on the map (am I right?)! Just wondering is it a colony or something?:rolleyes:

I vote OHgamer for President!

* Cthulhu raises his tentacles in desperation. *

Me, Me, pick Me.

Very interesting beta AAR. I would like to make a small suggestion. Any chance you could continue this as a "Let's play Victoria 2" kind of AAR, posted on Youtube? This would give us all much more information on the game, much more detail.

Plus having this allready on youtube will probably attract many new followers... er, I mean gamers:rolleyes:

Last edited:
just think how boring colonisation would be if Africa had all the states that the people who care about them think as being legitimate and signifigant during the era?
This is a game, do its got to be fun

As we've said before.

"states" that was conquered by basically a random guy with a machine gun will be represented as "not a state".

As we've said before.

"states" that was conquered by basically a random guy with a machine gun will be represented as "not a state".

Onward Chartered Soldiers, on to heathen lands,
Prayer books in your pockets, rifles in your hands.
Take the florious tidings where trade can be done,
Spread the peaceful gospel --- with a Maxim gun.

Tell the wretched natives, sinful are their hearts,
Turn their heathen temples into spirit marts.
And if to your teaching they will not succumb,
Give them another sermon with the Maxim gun...

When the Ten Commandments they quite understand,
You their Chief must hocus, and annex their land;
And if they misguided call you to account,
Give them another sermon --- with a Maxim from the Mount.

As we've said before.

Like I said, the matter's settled (it's your design, not mine). I don't think reveling in your historical ignorance is all that impressive, though.

:rolleyes:

I am of the impression that it is the absolutely lowest standard of game design to release a shoddy product on the excuse that "well, the fans will fix it."

Perhaps you could mod the ones you want, may I suggest the name the "On my figurative high horse mod"

Yeah, I'll probably just play VIP2 or whatever mod aims for more historical games. But I mean, the reason I care about this (the reason I'm making obnoxious posts about it) is that I like Paradox games a lot and I think Vicky II will be more enjoyable the more historical it is. Historically Europeans co-opted many of the local kingdoms to incorporate them into their rule, rather than just trample over them with machineguns, as Johan implies.

just think how boring colonisation would be if Africa had all the states that the people who care about them think as being legitimate and signifigant during the era?
This is a game, do its got to be fun

Sir I will have you know that neither I nor any of the people that I know who play Paradox games do so for 'fun'. In fact the mere suggestion that anyone might have derived fun from playing HOI3 or EU:Rome is quite ridiculous.

(It was that or 'Things not being fun has never stopped Paradox before!').

Honestly, i'd rather have them focus on the European, Asian and American countries instead of the African ones. Africa didn't really contribute to history during the Victoria 2 era politically and economically. Most states were tribal or colonial and the gameplay for them, IMO, would be someone doll compared to the latter.

@ OH

Apologies if this has been covered but on the military issue, can we custom name regiments and/or does the game do this for us or is it churning out the tired old '1st infantry regiment, 2nd infantry regiment etc etc etc?'

Can you also tell us a bit more about the military aspects in general, any greater variation on unit types, support attachments and when you get to it, exerting colonial power with sending troops to claim places.

Looking forward to more of the AAR.

Im hoping for "army of $province$' as in EU3 for ALL countries, as 1st Army has always annoyed me and you cant do anything about it in other countries.
Maybe with the name from which POP is used.
After the other named ones
but im suspecting it'll be incredibly limited as in HoI3 and EU3 states without $province$ lines

Please remind me why 100% spendings towards education are no longer a no-brainer? I've forgotte what other drawback (apart from higher costs, which was already an issue in Vicky) it has...

Others have covered main reasons, but one additional reason is that the higher your spending, the more people will look to careers in the educational field, the higher your costs become as you have to provide incomes to more and more people (as educators/clergy gain all their income for purchasing needs from the State in the form of education spending). Build up too much and you'll soon have a huge interest group that will have fits if you need to slash spending for some other budgetary reason....

OHG, just one quick question. Not about AAR, but perhaps you would know an answer:
How, techniccly, National Focus works? For instance is there in a save game section called Natinal Focus where you can find something like: "capitalist_growth = 0.1"

Or perhaps it works completly different?

National focuses are in a text file that can be easily modded by players to change the nature of what the focus point does and, I'd assume, allow the creation of new national focus points to add to the gameplay mix. As with all Clausewitz engine games, V2 is very, very modder friendly, providing a lot of moddability for things that, in V1, would definitely have been hardcoded.

I am a bit puzzled by the long time required for research. I understand that the population will be low on clerks and clergy, but with such a high starting literacy I would think research would go faster.

One thing to note is that I'm researching a level-3 tech, and the number of research points needed to complete research increases with each level you rise. Also, as your population grows, the amount of research points you produce each day (and yes that was an error when I said per month in the AAR) will slowly rise, so you'll produce more RPs per day as you go along, meaning later in the game other level 3 techs will take me less time to research

Which is true right off the bat for France, as French-Canadian is a Primary Culture, by the looks of things.

No, it is not, there are no French-Canadian pops in the French empire. (St Pierre & Miquelon is French culture)

Like I said, the matter's settled (it's your design, not mine). I don't think reveling in your historical ignorance is all that impressive, though.

Having worked with Balor, aka Johan, for a number of years now, I can guarantee you that historical ignorance is not a malady he suffers from, and find your comment highly inapprorpiate for this thread. The developers, for various reasons they have provided, have decided to model African societies in a certain way, and those who believe it should be modelled a different way are more than free to mod it for themselves. I will not, however see this thread hijacked any further on the issue.

@ OH

Apologies if this has been covered but on the military issue, can we custom name regiments and/or does the game do this for us or is it churning out the tired old '1st infantry regiment, 2nd infantry regiment etc etc etc?'.

Yes you can custom name in the course of the game, as I did for the units I garrisoned my colonies with.

OHgamer,

A quick question whilst you are here, if I may.

Are troops/ships randomly assigned as in Europa Universalis III, or can they be manually placed as in the older Paradox games?

Austen.