• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah. So, in this TL the Postapocalyptic genre isn't nearly as popular as it is in real life? I wonder if this effects the 'superhero' thing as well. Also, since Vlad the Impaler wasn't as infamous in this world, I wonder if this world still has a 'Dracula' figure and that vampires are still iconic, or what is the 'iconic monster' if it isn't Dracula? (heres one hoping theres no *Twilight! :D) Sorry about asking about literature, but, without a infamous Vlad, I don't think Vampires became iconic.

It's probably the Pope, I mean the current one looks like a vampire.

Regarding postapocalypitc fiction: maybe the Infinite War also had something to do with its absence. When all of Western Europe is engulfed in a ceaseless bloodbath for more lifetimes than you care to count, the end of the world seems like a fairly hopeful prediction to make, and what's actually happening day-to-day is about as nightmarish as anything Cormac McCarthy ever wrote, so you have plenty of material for dark stories without resorting to the apocalypse. Just an idea that popped into my head.
More or less. I never really dived into the fiction of the period, but I guess you are right: I should.

Did the endless war...end?

And when? If it will be explained dont bother answering
It does, book 3's time period.

I also wonder if this world ever had a 'old west.' Since North America is basically either pre-apartheid South africa, or basically regular africa with imperialism, and then tribal conflicts and civil wars during the modern Era. I wonder what was the 'Old west' of this world? The South Pacific, Austalasia, South america?

How is the situation on Secularism?

I mean Turkey is pretty Secularist inrl so I was wondering if anything country represents that

I also wonder if this world ever had a 'old west.' Since North America is basically either pre-apartheid South africa, or basically regular africa with imperialism, and then tribal conflicts and civil wars during the modern Era. I wonder what was the 'Old west' of this world? The South Pacific, Austalasia, South america?
Only California has significant issues with racial discrimination, and their form of apartheid ends around 1993. The rest of North America is much as it is in our world with a higher concentration of native populations.

However, the "Wild West" would be in South America where you have a later dive for colonization (especially in the south), immigration from both sides of the world, and natives more prone to violence (the Incan nations).

How is the situation on Secularism?

I mean Turkey is pretty Secularist inrl so I was wondering if anything country represents that
Kwizhiristan, which takes up Asia Minor is a "Hindu Republic" in the same vein than Iran is a "Islamic Republic" only more democratic. Europe, as in our timeline, is more secular while religion plays a bigger role for their counterparts in North and South America. Prussia, especially, has a high population of atheists and non-religious people. It is the largest nation where the non-religious make up the majority (roughly 60% to 70%). The rest of Europe highly values secularism, and secularism is the only thing keeping some nations together (like Egypt) which have two radically different religions (Sunni Islam and Hinduism) in the same spot.

Though I guess I am slightly biased. ;)

Besides asking when the next update is out :D

What are the main players and antagonists of world politics in this modern world?

Besides asking when the next update is out :D

What are the main players and antagonists of world politics in this modern world?

I am not sure if I am going to include terrorism in my story just because it is a very sensitive topic.

However, India and China are two main political enemies of the west. Both are highly autocratic, both have several minorities trying to get independence. India was not unified the same way in this world. Instead it was forcibly under a northern monarchy which forces its language and philosophies on all the other Indian groups. Africa, suffering from much of the same decolonialism as our world has its fair share of dictators. There are just a lot more legitimate monarchies in this world, instead of military and communist juntas. However, legitimate monarchies are still an illegitimate form of government if there isn't some democratic body.

Can we see a map of Africa?

Sure:

Africa.png

Bastions
Chapter Forty Two: Twilight in the East
Part 4

Prelude:
The Taifa of Venice was able to hold of Hungary and even advance into Christian lands, much to the surprise of the East. The galleys of the Venetian navy kept Hungary's ports closed, their navy reduced to a line of floating barracks. When Istria fell, Hungary was quick to give up the peninsula so that it would not lose more. All the while, Croatia continued to approach civil war. Rome's losses were well known as were the recent failures of the Christians in Germany. Christianity was backed up against a wall. Prussia tried to keep out of it all. Years of fighting war after war and then the chain of civil wars left her people and her King unwilling to commit to any more conflicts. The pattern was becoming clear: Christianity was shrinking. And it was anyone's guess when, if ever, this would stop or reverse. But for the King of Prussia the decision was an easy one: his job was to preserve Prussia and only Prussia. To do so meant walking a thin line between the East and the West. Both sides were willing court the massive Christian state, but both sides were also fearful of Prussia's intervention against them.

June 27th, 1366

"I told you there was nothing to worry about." The elder Doyvát watched his father as he went about his daily business. "You are too fearful of your health. You should just go about living and not worry too much about when the end will come."

"I am a king, Doyvát. My death is a bit different than the death of some knight or commoner. Things change when a King dies."

"I don't plan to change too much," Doyvát quipped. "I think Mareth will change the curtains, but that is about it. She hates this room, you know."

Gunvald smiled, "I am glad someone can find humor in times like this." He sighed, "I never wanted to be like this: all mopey and whiney. It is just like being a little kid again. I told myself as a young man that I'd die with some amount of dignity left."

"You still have time to build your dignity back up. Who knows, you might make it to seventy."

"With the nagging your Mareth does, I will be surprised if I make it to the end of summer. It was a mistake allowing you to bring your family up here," Gunvald jested. He sat down across from his son and tried to keep his smile up. "It was nice of you to move your family up from Krakowgrád. I know it would have been easier to just stay at home."

"Ah, nonsense. Though, if you don't mind my intrusion: if you are so certain you are going to die, why not move to Mariengrád?" Doyvát asked; the answer calling to him just as it was too late.

Gunvald knew his son meant nothing of it, though it pained him to think about it, "I've spent enough time in Mariengrád... I think."

"I am sorry; I did not mean t..."

Gunvald stopped his son with a gentle gesture of his hand. "Think nothing of it. Though, I guess if tradition is to be observed it would be wise for me to do so. Though Kiten and Vishly both escaped the grasp of the Auld Grey Town; maybe I can too."

"Maybe it will give Mariengrád a chance to drop that nickname. But as I've said before: should you really be putting this much focus on your own death? You are a King, and you have a country to be running."

Gunvald frowned, not out of anger but out of a simple truth: he was being selfish. "Fine, you win. I shall take my throne." He nodded and then turned away from his son as he went behind his desk to sit down.

"Should I move my family back down to Poland? I bet Mareth will love that: moving again."

"For the sake of your sanity you can remain here. It has been nice to have company again. Usually it is just your mother and her extended family."

"Yes, bringing missionaries," Doyvát said in a very serious voice.

"I don't think that your mother expects them to do that, but yes. They have tried their luck on me more than once. Frandism would offer an interesting middle ground, and Europe will once again be united by religion. But no... we have sworn allegiance to our fathers, our Kingdom, and our faith."

"So you'd convert, if you had the chance?"

"Not so easily, but the thought has crossed my mind. Honestly there aren't enough differences between Frandism and Christianity for it to matter to me. So we don't get a second coming? Somehow I am not too concerned if it would mean we could end all this stupid fighting."

"But it won't, it will just create new wars. New rebellions and new factions."

"Exactly. It is sad to think of it, but the best way to save lives is to keep fighting this stupid Infinite War... or at least to continue to let it happen. No peace I've declared with the Caliphate means anything to these extremists. If they grow tired of me trying to make peace... they just make a new religion so they can be at war. We need to rein in the Unionists. We need all of this to stop before they get themselves conquered."

Doyvát chuckled, "Or let them, once they are converted it will be easier to make peace with them." Outside the low rumble of thunder interrupted their conversation; the rains began shortly after that.

"I don't think God approves of this conversation," Gunvald said with a nervous chuckle.

"It is just a little summer rain, I doubt it means anything." Doyvát peered out of a window and watched a stroke of lightning land somewhere over the Baltic Sea. The winds picked up and rain blew against the window making Doyvát take a step back.

"No, you are probably right. It probably does mean nothing. Storms come and go all the time. But what I said is true: the Unionists need to be reined in. We cannot save the Revisionists from their suicidal wars against Islam and us and themselves, but I'll be damned if the Unionists seek war in this day and age. They should practice a little slice of the tolerance they preach." Gunvald crossed his arms and then looked out over the churning sea, "I might need you to go to Hamburg and converse with this Duke Mohammad von Zähringer-Holstein. I hear through the grape vines that he is not done with his expansions. And it is likely that he will try to centralize in his Scandinavian territories."

"Ah, and with Denmark in the middle of his realm you fear he will move against it?"

"More than that... I fear he will seal off the Baltic. Denmark holds the key to shutting off our power once and for all."

Doyvát scoffed, "No, there is a second key... well... not so much as a key as a large battering ram. Prussia will keep the Baltic open; I do doubt that for a second."

"And how do you suggest we do that?"

"Prussia must not just rule the lands around the Baltic... she must rule the Baltic herself."

Last edited:
Prussia must rule the Baltic! It is key to driving the Heathens from Scandanavia! :rofl:

On a more serious note, it's good to see that English is still... Umm, English. And that the UK managed to establish it's own Empire. Although, I know they weren't a big ass super power like they were in our world; and sadly, there isn't a 'america' for us Americans to root for.:(

Prussia must rule the Baltic! It is key to driving the Heathens from Scandanavia! :rofl:

On a more serious note, it's good to see that English is still... Umm, English. And that the UK managed to establish it's own Empire. Although, I know they weren't a big ass super power like they were in our world; and sadly, there isn't a 'america' for us Americans to root for.:(
Well, there's GNI... They are kind of like America... only they speak Basque and Arabized Catalan.

How many city states a la Krakow have there been, if any?

A few in Europe... I don't really keep track of small states like Andorra or San Marino in our time lines. I just sort of assume they got erased by the Muslim tide and then redivided. Germany had a few before uniting, mostly because its territory was conquered under personal initiative so generals of the Caliphate got to keep what they conquered. Tessin is also one on the Christian side. In the modern day there are the Merchant Cities of the Swedish Empire, they are Swedish cities in the East Indies that are independent. The map of Gustavia a few pages back showed them. They are single provs and mostly hidden by their flags and include Singapore, Brunei and two other cities.

Actually, here's that picture:
Gustavia.png

Is Frandism in game grouped as a christian religion because I wouldn't think it would be possible to marry a "heathen" however misguided that term is with Frandism.

Is Frandism in game grouped as a christian religion because I wouldn't think it would be possible to marry a "heathen" however misguided that term is with Frandism.
No Frandism is definitely Islam, though with a dash of Christianity. Viba (Gunvald's wife/Doyvát's mother) is Christian; however not all of her more extended family is. Her family arrived under Karnak with the gunsmith who built the cannons that took the city of Tver (He founded their line in Prussia and Viba is a Christian descendant of his). Her family is royal both in Prussia and in the Caliphate (specifically in Aragon and Navarre). I might expand on that a bit more in the next update.

Edit: He arrives in Chapter Twenty-Five Part 2.