Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Her Home is on the Deep" - an England AAR

"Her Home is on the Deep" - an England AAR

Britannia needs no bulwarks
    No towers along the steep;
    Her march is o'er the mountain wave,
    Her home is on the deep.

~Thomas Campbell

Hello all, this is an English AAR. Specifically, it is an English AAR in HTTT, starting in 1526. Why would I use such a date? In the latter half of 1525, Austria inherits Bohemia and Hungary. All major players are essentially formed, with the notable exception of Great Britain.

My general aims:

1) Form Great Britain.
    2) Develop a vast colonial empire.
    3) Begin the industrial revolution by prioritizing manufactory construction.
    4) Try to maintain a semblance of balance of power (at the very least outside of Europe, but hopefully on the continent as well).
    5) Create economic dominance for England.

This AAR will be primarily gameplay-based, but if I slip into narrative for a couple updates, you'll just have to forgive me.

The next post will be reserved for a table of contents, so that once this AAR gets going, it will be easy for me to refer back to previous updates.
    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver" --Proverbs 25:11

WritAAR of the week: Feb. 12, 2006, Sep. 19, 2006
    CharactAAR writAAR of the week: Jan. 1, 2007

Dawn in the East
    "Her Home is on the Deep"

Table of Contents

1. First Prize
    Last edited by fj44; 16-07-2010 at 02:49.
    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver" --Proverbs 25:11

Dawn in the East

Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.
    ~Cecil Rhodes

A general overview:

England’s demesne: England, Wales, Meath (Ireland), Calais (France).

King: Henry VIII Tudor
    Heir: None. This troubles His Majesty greatly.

The Royal Court:

Thomas Wolsey, Statesman
    Thomas Cranmer, Theologian
    Thomas More, Statesman
    Sebastian Cabot, Explorer
    Charles Brandon, General

Neighbors and countries of interest:

Scotland: What else can be said? The Scots remain a nuisance.
    Tyrone: The native Irish masters of Ulster.
    Connaught: The native Irish masters of Connaught.
    Leinster: The native Irish masters of Leinster.
    Munster: The native Irish masters of Munster.
    France: The Valois dynasty controls the majority of France. François I claims Calais as a part of his birthright. Surely his claims are hollow!
    Spain: Carlos von Hapsburg inherited the Low Countries from Burgundy—this is somewhat troubling. The good news: at least they are not French.
    Austria: The shield of Christian Europe! Their absorption of Hungary and Bohemia gives them the resources to stop the Ottoman. We wish them luck, but not too much.

The legacy of the Magna Carta is mixed—the very existence of the document provides greater stability throughout the realm, however, the rule of His Majesty, Henry VIII is absolute. His Majesty refuses to accept the nobility’s claims to power. England’s legacy as an island nation is the sea. Specifically, the construction of ships and the training of crews is the national focus. Recently, His Majesty has become interested in funding expeditions into the Western Ocean, to find a Northwest Passage to the Indies.

A quick look at the budget situation:

Dawn in the East

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

An interesting choice of start date and an excellent and unquestionably correct quote to start with!
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 16th June with hot and spicy dirigible action and all the exploding airships you could ever ask for.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Hats! Generals! Spitting! New Characters! It's all happening in Slovakia. Updated 20th August 2014.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Best of luck with the AAR.
    I enjoy England Balance of Power games but have usually started earlier in 1490s, will be interested to see how your rivals develop starting later.

Do you plan to begin rapid expansion in Ireland, Scotland and the new world?
    Rebirth of Laskarid or one more ByzAARntium Tale
    "I am king of the Romans and above grammar." Sigismund I
    "Should I dare to claim that I was God's instrument to bring freedom to the Sicilians, then I should only be stating the truth." Michael VIII Palaiologos

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhashat View Post
    Best of luck with the AAR.
    I enjoy England Balance of Power games but have usually started earlier in 1490s, will be interested to see how your rivals develop starting later.

Do you plan to begin rapid expansion in Ireland, Scotland and the new world?
    I plan on crushing the Scots and Irish as soon as practicable (Hopefully without provoking France). However, because I start with a pretty good explorer, I think my first focus is going to be to lay down some initial colonies in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip
    An interesting choice of start date and an excellent and unquestionably correct quote to start with!
    I'm glad you approve.

All: I hopefully will be able to write up the next update tonight.

/crosses fingers

Dawn in the East

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    The intro and the overview's theme was laid out perfectly.

The ARR figures to be a lot of fun for both the writer and the reader. I'll be following closely with a lot of interest.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Range; 21-07-2010 at 19:37.
    Previously Completed AARs:\
    Ireland Forever * Scotland, the Brave, the Strong and the Free * Riga - Range's Sabbatical (Yeah Sure) * Morocco - Casablanca * Poland * Range, Scotland's Highland Chieftain * Yemen - The Happy Arabia * Bavaria * Transylvania * Samurai * The Day of Reckoning * EU1 Portugal * Knights of St. John * Poland EU1

CURRENT AARS: * Munster EU4 * England EU1 * Byzantine EU3 *

Winner of King_Richard_XI's 3rd ever Irish Shamrock Cookie . Poll: Finalist in 2009 EUIII OscARRs: Best Completed ARR "Yemen - The Happy Arabia". Also, the Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 for Favourite EU Narrative AAR "Poland" - Character Writer of the week ending 12/26/10

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

interesting start date ^^
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Good luck with playing a flank power England/Britain.
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Starting right in the reign of Henry, I see.

Good opportunity to build a navy to make them all weep, and not waste time with tournaments.

And time enough for several wives.
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

The Fall of Scotland

This is a nice mission to start my pursuit of colonialism with. I start with knowledge of Beothuk and Taqamquk, so that will be the site of our initial colony in the New World.

And so, my next mission is to subjugate the Scots.

This mission will keep for a few years, as I have other fun things to do first.

This is a very nice start to the game—it brings my stability up to +2, which is where I like it to hover. As a side note, my initial army is only 5000 men. Time to expand the army to 16000.

And to accommodate this new army, I need to expand my sealift capacity…

After further explorations in the New World, we discover natives. Quickly, we act to keep other powers from exploiting them.

Henry VIII, frustrated with the absence of an heir, declares that he, and not the pope, is supreme in matters of religion.

Of course, not all Englishmen are happy with this, and so Henry VIII makes an example.

And nine months later…

Seriously…this is absurd how well this chain actually fit the historical record.

The replacement for Thomas More:

And another shocking development:

Back to the colonial front, I expand in the Canadian islands, and benefited from a colonial event that raised the base tax—always a helpful occurrence.

And now…back to my stated goal of repressing the Scots and Irish. Ulster is the first target. It was a short, victorious war.

The time is right to smash Scotland—France is occupied with the Hapsburgs.

The war was quick. I annihilated the Scottish army in a single battle, and then broke up my army to siege. Once Scotland was completely occupied, I vassalized them.

France then signed a white peace with me after a vicious blockade combined with their war with Austria and Spain.

I think this is going to turn into a ritual with France:

1) France declares war.
    2) France takes Calais.
    3) I blockade France.
    4) France signs white peace.

While this might be irritating, it shows my safety is assured.

Dawn in the East

Range: Thanks. I hope it is fun for everyone!

sprites: I know almost everyone starts at the Grand Campaign bookmark. Thought I'd be different.

blsteen: I noticed in previous games as England, starting in 1399, I can conquer western Europe really easily. Because of that, I hadn't thought of England as a flank power, but you are certainly correct. My vision for England involves remaining free of continental entanglements, as much as that is possible with France intact.

RGB: Absolutely true. It scares me a bit to play without an heir. Makes me nervous!

All: This one was very much picture-heavy. What's your opinion on the format?

Dawn in the East

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

The Pope excommunicating Spain! No idea how unusual that is but it did make me smile at the thought of it.

Looks like good progress and I'll be intrigued to see how things go now Scotland has been put in it's rightful place.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 16th June with hot and spicy dirigible action and all the exploding airships you could ever ask for.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Hats! Generals! Spitting! New Characters! It's all happening in Slovakia. Updated 20th August 2014.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

The last thing anyone would expect would be the Spanish Excommunication... Wait, something isn't right there.

Good start being the local bully roughing up the Scots and the Irish. I will be interested to see how you go in the Americas as I tend to get bogged down there.
    Fan of the Week 22 February 2010 - Role PlayAAR of the Month March 2014

Indies -The AAR which refuses to sell out. Featured on Weekly AAR Showcase 21 July 2010 (Still writing Episode 4 "A New Hope" - the Flux will be with you)

Marshal Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin, Chief of Stavka, in Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo Admin thread and Update thread.
    Etienne Burke, son of Frederic Burke, Prime Minister of Belgium during the Great War 1904-1907 and son of Edmund Burke, Commerce Minister 1866-1886 and son of Patrice "Bulwark" Burke, Former Chief of Staff of Belgium, Edge of Europe - an interactive AAR of ThunderHawk3
    Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg, Proud Imperialist in Sonderweg oder Anderweg - An interactive AAR in the Hohenzollerns megacampaign

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaSemper Fi500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Spain excommunicated? Talk about alternate history.

Already you are colonizing, this will be extremely beneficial. Are you going to focus solely on north america?

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    A very crisp and precise report of action at hand. I'm really enjoying the ARR.

Keep it up.

It's great fun.
    Previously Completed AARs:\
    Ireland Forever * Scotland, the Brave, the Strong and the Free * Riga - Range's Sabbatical (Yeah Sure) * Morocco - Casablanca * Poland * Range, Scotland's Highland Chieftain * Yemen - The Happy Arabia * Bavaria * Transylvania * Samurai * The Day of Reckoning * EU1 Portugal * Knights of St. John * Poland EU1

CURRENT AARS: * Munster EU4 * England EU1 * Byzantine EU3 *

Winner of King_Richard_XI's 3rd ever Irish Shamrock Cookie . Poll: Finalist in 2009 EUIII OscARRs: Best Completed ARR "Yemen - The Happy Arabia". Also, the Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 for Favourite EU Narrative AAR "Poland" - Character Writer of the week ending 12/26/10

So that mean British Islands are pretty much mastered already. And in terms of historical events, is that the Sack of Rome to?
    Rebirth of Laskarid or one more ByzAARntium Tale
    "I am king of the Romans and above grammar." Sigismund I
    "Should I dare to claim that I was God's instrument to bring freedom to the Sicilians, then I should only be stating the truth." Michael VIII Palaiologos

EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

Love the format

Great start to your game too! Almost too good, if you know what I mean - sometimes if I have too good of a start, I lose interest. I'll be following your AAR.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

spain is excommunicated? that is a rare occurance
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

El Pip: This game is going very well, particularly in the British Isles. Spain's excommunication may open other opportunities in the New World.

Davout: I like colonization sorts of games. It gives the player a huge amount of freedom, as far as how they want to proceed. Hopefully it goes well.

FlorisDeVijfde: North America will be my focus to start. We'll see how the Caribbean looks once I start getting established in Canada.

Range: Thanks!

Wolfhashat: Spain is pretty much a monster at this point in the game. When combined with Austria, that alliance is downright scary.

dsb3232: Hopefully I don't lose interest. Playing this game, I feel like I'm playing with a lot more confidence, with a more fluid play style. Might get me in trouble...

sprites: That is the outcome of the Spain-Austria v. France-Papal States war. Spain and Austria are HUGE.

All: I will try to get another update up tonight. We will be continuing with this format, as 'the customer is always right'.

Dawn in the East

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast