• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In order to be able to retreat from a battle, you need to either have more regiments, or have some artillery. Neither overlapping regiments nor artillery lose morale in the initial stages of a battle. If your stack has both fewer regiments and no artillery, there is a good chance of it being forced to surrender. 4/8/0 vs 0/10/0 can force the 0/10/0 to surrender, but an 0/6/1 force would last the 12 days and be able to retreat.

The pip disparity is probably forcing him to only accept battles where he has numerical advantage and then its the case of whether he wants the extra firepower (artillery behind infantry makes for about 2.5 times the firepower of infantry on its own) or the infantry in reserve to fill gaps in the line.

I tend to use significant amounts of artillery with my infantry, and have the cavalry separate and timed to arrive a day after the battle starts. With bonus firepower in the centre and overlapping cavalry on the wings, the whole front line of the enemy force gets a beating. However, I also have 40,000 ducats to spare. When short on cash, buy 3 infantry regiments rather than pay the same cost for just one of artillery.

Three quarters of your provinces are the right culture, which means you'll be in much better shape once market places have gone in and they core.
Pattani would be a good OPM to go after. Portugal does look as though it will have to become a target with its colonies in the Far East and Siberia. What naval tech do you need to build 2-deckers? You'll porbably be in a war with Portiugal , soon.

In your last war with Britain, you destroyed a 53 regiment stack. Now you have to work on 100 regiments. I, for one, would like to see you take those norweigan provinces off GB. Perhaps they'll quarantee the Ming. I like how you are going after south east asia and India before finishing off Ming. You're making the best use of your forces. I understand why you don't use artillery. It would slow your forces down too much and leave you vulnerable to being cuaght by big French stacks.

It would, at least for moral's sake. But then again, it slows armies down and speed may be one of the strengths of his army.
Indeed. Prawnstar usually doesn't use artillery; even in his "Yes we can" France game (the WC attempt while staying below the BB limit), he never had any artillery, because he wants speed.

I will, once again, claim that you won't make a WC. Now it's your turn to prove me wrong once again.

How many more wars with Ming and France does that world map suggest?

Does the tech screenshot suggest you're going for a naval build up? Is the WC still at the back of your mind?

FEEDBACK

poloport - Nowhere close, I don't even hold half the map yet!

Athalcor - Well I'm going to win the Land war in Asia and if the Europeans want to fall off the edge of the world that's their business. Snack food for the Turtle :)

sprites - I'll get to the coast but I need connected territory for when the rebels strike.

Chief Ragusa -
The French army usually about the same size as mine.

The French rebs are numerous but they don't last long.

I try picking off hostile shipping in the next update - it goes badly Pro Tip - Cogs do badly against Two Deckers :rofl:

I've been able to avoid minting but it has been very close.

Naval Tech is because I want to try and take on the Latins or at least invade Japan.

Those advisors are the best I can get.

The Mamluk provinces are actually on the way to French West Africa ;)

The provinces gained from France are also driven by where I can take and hold land - I haven't destroyed the French field armies - these wars are about manouvre as much as combat.

A stab hit will take around 7 years of full investment per point - and Tripoli is 3 hits :eek:

Enewald - A lesson I shouldn't forget!

OrangeYoshi - The AI is pretty impressive at colonising on Very Hard - it has the money to match it's ambitions.

The Arch Mede -
Excellent point about being big enough to benefit from efficicency advisors and poor enough to need them. They aren't a choice I've made many times in the past.

I suspect the French are minting like crazy so all that will happen is their tech progress slows.

Naval misadventures are a problem in the next update :(

winsingtonIII - Welcome and glad you like it - I have a habit of epic and slightly bonkers AARs - my Iroquois one is probably my 'Masterpiece' LOL

Rockingluke - I like the colonisation - it looks pretty sensible - mostly big blocks of land.

GaiusC - Getting established in the Americas will be difficult and holding on through the few years also looks tricky. Any units sent are on their own and it may be a suicide run for the fleet. France will keep going for a long time yet - they have a lot of very rich provinces.

Nordhus - Artillery would help in combat but I prefer the speed of armies without it. This may not be optimal but it suits my playstyle which isn't about fighting battles but winning wars.

blsteen - Horderkommando der Marine has a galley in the Black Sea for reconnaisance purposes. The Khanflotte is based in the Indian Ocean.

OrangeYoshi - Morale not Moral ;) Indeed speed is my rationale.

The way I see it, most of the Horde's major battles are of the "strike quickly at a vulnerable army" variety. That requires speed, and so does rebel hunting. Also, PrawnStar is struggling to afford enough of an army, and artillery is expensive. I'm not sure of 3.2 with its combat changes, but before that, artillery felt more like a luxury item than it does now...

But yes, having a small artillery force hanging around France really might prove useful in the correct situation. However, I assume that the Horde is trying to avoid the kind of battles where they'd make a large difference. :D

Pretty much all of that.

In order to be able to retreat from a battle, you need to either have more regiments, or have some artillery. Neither overlapping regiments nor artillery lose morale in the initial stages of a battle. If your stack has both fewer regiments and no artillery, there is a good chance of it being forced to surrender. 4/8/0 vs 0/10/0 can force the 0/10/0 to surrender, but an 0/6/1 force would last the 12 days and be able to retreat.

The pip disparity is probably forcing him to only accept battles where he has numerical advantage and then its the case of whether he wants the extra firepower (artillery behind infantry makes for about 2.5 times the firepower of infantry on its own) or the infantry in reserve to fill gaps in the line.

I tend to use significant amounts of artillery with my infantry, and have the cavalry separate and timed to arrive a day after the battle starts. With bonus firepower in the centre and overlapping cavalry on the wings, the whole front line of the enemy force gets a beating. However, I also have 40,000 ducats to spare. When short on cash, buy 3 infantry regiments rather than pay the same cost for just one of artillery.

Another strong and interesting post - I am cash strapped and can't really afford artillery although I'm tempted to try adding some to one army in Europe and see what differnce it makes.

Chief Ragusa -
I have no idea what that graph shows but I'm far from having that many Tartar provinces.

Pattani is Sunni - I can't afford the stab hits.

You're right about Portugal becoming a problem...

I've just got to Galleons so Two Deckers are some way away :(

To take Norway I need a war where GB isn't alliance leader and probably a lot of luck - it would be interesting as GB would then relocate it's army...

True about artillery, being able to skip out the way of incoming doomstacks is very useful :)

GaiusC - Quite right but for all teh reasoned argumenst for and against Artillery a lot of it simply I don't like it :)

Johan11 - I don't think I'll manage a WC here.

Starfury - It's a fair point - especially if I can drive through France to be able to get into Castile and Portugal's heartlands.

Dewirix -
Ming is probably 10 wars, France a couple of dozen :(

I'm aiming for a decent fleet to see how far I can get.

I don't think a WC is possible but I though the same at this point with the Iroquois and that was close.​

Chapter Seventy

War with Wuerttemberg - September 1707

j7x37m.jpg

The full alliance is Khmer (What!?!), Brabant, the Ottomans, Wurttemberg, Milan and Majapahit. The new war also prompts a couple more revolts, Hamburg and Oudh. Thakhet rebels later in the month.

Majapahit is annexed before the end of the month and Milan is annexed at the start of October. The month also sees a warning from Dai Viet and uprisings in Ulaanchab and Sukthothai.

Peace with the Ottomans - October 1707

29pywev.jpg

It’s the first time for many years I’ve actually made peace with the Ottomans directly but Thrace gave me enough war score for Corfu.

Goa cores at the start of November, Altai revolts and Austria sends a warning. I’m beating Wurttemberg, haven’t really got to grips with Khmer and am hiding from the Brabanter doomstack.

Peace with Wurttemberg - December 1707

2rcv2gi.jpg

The New Year starts with France throwing around a wave of guarantees and warnings - which is promising. Goa converts while Baden and Kham revolt. February brings a core on Khandesh and four rebellions; Arakan, U-Tsang, Kassel and Poznan. The war’s a quiet set of sieges for the next three months although Istria revolts in April. May sees revolts in Moravia and Osel. June brings cores; Orissa, Burgas, Bulgaria and Edirne.

Peace with Brabant - June 1708

i27iib.jpg

Jylland revolts as does Mecklenburg a few weeks later. Persian is lost as an accepted culture in July 1708 - the expansion of the Horde has minimised the Persian contribution.

Peace with Khmer - August 1708

2nsm0x1.jpg

Sunni Khmer is now an OPM.

I pay Sweden off for 50 ducats a few days later. There’s three revolts in response; Munster, Cuttack and Lanzhou. France is now at peace with Great Britain; there’s a huge troop build up on my western frontier.

Portugal declares War - October 1708

298mls.jpg

It’s nice to see France in there, they should be able invade the Castilian mainland for some useful war score. My problem is in Java and Sumatra where there are large Portuguese forces defending level 4 fortresses - and Java is full of vulnerable colonies…

Burgundy is peaced out for their treasury of 437 ducats in January - I build a few more marketplaces. Sumatra is going well, Java badly.

February starts with revolts in Friesland and Vientiane. It’s Bhutan the next month when Riga also converts.

France is going head to head with Castile and Portugal in Iberia. War score is going against me but French armies will surely concentrate properly at stage… Portuguese forces in Sumatra have been destroyed and I’m besieging the fortress. Java is in the balance, I’m down a colony and while I have the 13 regiment Portuguese stack on the run my 12 regiments are down to barely 4000 men.

April sees revolts in Amdo and Raichur Doab

Since I’m stuck in this rather large war I’ll clear those warnings I’ve picked up.

War with Croatia - May 1709

2gvu2yd.jpg

More craziness on the war leader front; the whole enemy alliance is Dai Viet, Brabant, Austria, Croatia and Meissen. Remember Meissen is allied to the Ottomans so they will survive, the good news is this resets the 50 year clock on my core on their province. Qamdo revolts.

Croatia is annexed as June starts and Meissen peaced out for 2500 ducats (where from?). I throw about 2000 ducats at another wave of marketplaces. There’s a revolt in Metz later in the month. Kuznetsk cores in July and I make peace with Brabant.

20gf8ly.jpg

OPM Liege sends me a warning again - this time I really will try and annex them. Cuttack also converts, only Silhet remains Hindu.

August sees Austria OPM’d with a haul of 594 ducats as well as Steiermark. Smaland converts and Krain revolts.

The war in Iberia is turning around as French doomstacks start knocking the Castilians around.

I make peace with Dai Viet in October taking a single connected province.

121tnqe.jpg

There are uprisings in Kyaukse and Brahmaputra during the month. November has revolts in Oberpfalz and Sukthothai. I also get a Boundary Dispute core on Wurttemberg.

January 1710 starts with another round of revolts; Fyn Metz and Vijaya. February has more revolts; Olonets, Kalisz and Tshiyet Noyan. I do make headway in coastal Siberia taking a couple of settlements.

j66fzm.jpg

Kohistan cores in March 1710 while Dalmatia and Mecklenburg revolt. April’s rebels are in Silhet and Luxembourg. I get to August before the next set of rebels; Luneburg and Nile.

Mongnai revolts in September. I’m still stuck in sieges around the two Portuguese fortresses in the East Indies! War score is now about zero while French, Portuguese and Castilian war exhaustion is climbing into the teens. One thing is clear my Muslim Musketeers can’t really go up against the Line Infantry the Latins are now deploying.

October’s revolts are in Ratibor and Naga. Kurland cores in November as do Altmark and Mecklenburg a month later. Kachin revolts. The start of 1711 sees a revolt in Minangkabau, awkward as I’ve no spare troops in the area.

Dalmatia revolts as February 1711 starts and there are a couple of cores; Muscat and Delhi. All I need to form the Mughal Empire is peace. Ostpreussen converts. More cores in March, Vorpommern and Niederlausitz and also more rebels in Vijaya and Diego Garcia.

By the start of April 1711 I’m tired of being caught up in defensive wars with little to gain…

War with Ming - April 1711

303iwew.jpg

The keen-eyed will notice my ship numbers are changing - I’m trying to pick off stray Portuguese and Castilian squadrons in the Indian Ocean. Treviso, Kyaukse and Cuttack revolt at the news. Liege is annexed within days.

Delta cores at the start of May. The month also has uprisings in Chin and Chittagong. Revolts are sufficiently common in South East Asia my troops there haven’t been able to participate in the invasion of China.

Meanwhile the situation in the West…

25u3zg0.jpg

I have eventually taken the Portuguese fortresses I want in the East Indies although my fleet has been caught and mauled in the Persian gulf.

June brings more cores; Telingana, Bastar, Parlakimidi and Gondwana. It also brings five revolts; Corfu, Krain, Hannover, Dali and Silhet. July has revolts in Hovd and Smaland. August has more rebels, Indravati and a second spawn in Dali. September’s revolts are Chittagong, Hovd and Kham.

The war with Portugal has all but stalemated with not quite enough war score to force a peace deal. The French doomstacks are moving back to the frontline and all the other parties are struggling. Elsewhere Ming as seized my ex-French colony of Visayas (what’s left of my fleet is hiding in Persian Gulf ports) and Danish nationalists have taken Fyn. Castilian blockades mean I can’t do anything about that!

There’s a revolt in Holland in December around the same time Castilian blockaded Corfu falls to rebels and I make peace with Manchu.

Peace with Manchu - December 1711

zm0ff8.jpg

OPM and you can see some of the colonial seizures further north.

1712 starts with a warning from the Mamluks! There are also uprisings in Hormouz, Golconda and Hovd (the third one!). Franken revolts in February.

I’ve just over 50 war score against Ming and they’ve sent a 30+ regiment stack into tropical South East Asia. Portugal still isn’t interested in peace at +1 war score.

Malwa cores in March as do Gharchistan and Urumqi a month later. Vorpommern and Halland revolt. Sinope culturally assimilates this month - the first province to do so in decades. Hovd revolts again in June! Hsenwi does as well. Pressburg cores in July and it’s time to make peace with Ming as war exhaustion is starting to get away from me.

Peace with Ming - July 1712

2q15j5u.jpg

Notice the lost island colony in the Philippines. In case you’re wondering why those provinces there are two reasons. Firstly they are high attrition so taking them means I won’t have to fight through them again and also they are adjacent to a block of uncored and hence garrisoned land come the next TSC.

War exhaustion is 6.19 and BB 420.45 / 14.00

Berg, Rayong and Keng Tung all rise in rebellion.

The problem I have with the Portuguese war is I don’t really have any way of hurting these guys. I need the French to smash Castile and break into Portugal but so far that’s not happened. All three countries are suffering although Portuguese war exhaustion is actually falling at the moment. They are picking off my islands. I could make peace by handing over several French colonial territories…

Rebel Count = 2857 (+79)
Rebels = 13,566,000 (+344,000)

----------​

Portugal presumably could make peace with France by handing over bits of Castille. That would leave you in a rather nasty situation.

The French don't have a fleet left. They cant stop you invading their colonies if you were to find yourself at war with them now. Be careful what you hand over so that you are not sacrificing your bridgehead.

Is there anything that isn't Sunni, that you want to take in South East Asia and North Africa? 21 years would be too high a price to pay. I'm hoping the Ottomans decide to go after Montenegro and the Morea. You did get Corfu.

What land tech do you need to get to the next set of new troops? What naval tech gives you two-deckers?I 'd argue that you'd do better focusing on getting the next land improvements and then look to your fleet.

The Bank of Meissen is proving quite the growth marketplace. Another CoT is neatly manouevred into the Horde trading nation..

France is doing its bit. It looks like their regiments will move into Portugal. Your fleet is obsolete against the European, not against your East Asian opponents. Your current fleet is too small to overwhelm a European squadron and capture some modern ships.It's too small to pulverise Brunei, Ming and Japan. You have a mission of 20 Prestige to have 30 big ships. I think you're going to need them.

Good to see Sinope assimilate. I'm expecting a whole slew of them - so I'll probably be disappointed. Ooh, Mamluk warning. Cairo will soon be Horde. And the route to French West Africa. Milan taken places you one province closer to ottoman Italy.

It'll be harder to take the colonies off Portugal than France. You really need the Portuguese gone from Sumatra and Java. It's a pity you can't get at Castilian North Africa, but you'd need to go through Tripoli, Tunisia and Algiers to get there. You could do with a bit of far Eastern map-spread, too. Oh for a Mamluk DoW!

Once again, the Ottomans are so screwed with the alliance leader :D

At least, this war against Castile and Portugal has weakened France, both in military power and in WE, with a substantial rebel risk. Too bad your WE is already sizable, otherwise attacking France next would be the logical step - ensuring they stay at max WE for years.

Sometimes you just can't win. It's called being at war with the Horde. :)

I think your key problem now is not enough rebels.

Finally, a war not going entirely to plan.

I wasn't expecting the opponent to be Portugal, but, hey, who am I to complain?

Nice to see that naval power still has an impact in this game, although Portugal being as far west as possible while still being in Europe has certainly helped them keep out of your grasp. Do you have military access to them via France?

I assume not given your frustration at you junior partner's performance.

How far behind are you navally compared to Portugal or the UK? Will you need overwhelming odds to beat them? Lucky that ship upkeep is cheap.

Gotta love it that you're in 1712 and there are still multiple AI nations that aren't a walk in the park. :D Makes the late game interesting.

Nice that you found ways to add some good provinces nonetheless.