• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The irony of being tribal: high military = less wars.

Well, that update certainly made things easier (reclaiming Armenia and conquering other provinces, getting a bunch of cores, lowering WE...). Fortunately, the WE should be pretty low before the Lithuanian DoW? After all, you had about a year and a half after the 4.71 you had when you peaced with Persia.

You mentioned colonists - if you hypothetically got colonists and ended up in position to colonize Siberia (and could even afford it), would those provinces, being coreless, join the fun before becoming cities? I.e. do colonies rebel when a TSC strikes?

Regarding the Mongolian translation, is enkhuush reading this? :cool:

I don't know, but I'd bet it doesn't contain "emu".
Edit: Crap, too slow.

*Puts on Yoda voice*

Don't worry, young apprentice. You shall learn soon enough.

And, Oh dear, saddle glue time!

That's a good takedown of Persia.

Not so good that the Ottomans have a mission on one of your provinces.

The Lithuanian alliance could be a real pain. They're allied to their neighbours who have come along for ride. There's a lot of troops heading the Hiorde's
way -probably.

Now that you mention it, I'd fear that the Ottomans will backstab the Horde and DOW in a few months, once Lithuania has eaten up a few provinces.

On the other hand, France, Burgundy, Poland and Hungary have now a nice occasion to attack the anti-Horde alliance.

I have my first revolt of the year in Viatka (Qasim nationalists) in August.

So butchering countless hordes of rebels is finally having an effect on the population and making them less inclined to attempt rebellion. Well, until the next TSC anyway...

There’s an awful lot of them isn’t there.

Nowhere near enough methinks! Looking forward to seeing the enemy coalition bested.

Just read through this whole AAR ( had nothing to do ), and I must say I'm not disappointed by what you are trying to achieve ( even though the almost WC with the Iroquois was just jaw-dropping ) :)

I'm going to keep on reading this and wish you best luck for the rest :)

My bet on the final rebel number : 7,5 M

So butchering countless hordes of rebels is finally having an effect on the population and making them less inclined to attempt rebellion. Well, until the next TSC anyway...

Or until wars (the new one's a good start) raise WE to uncontrollable levels again. Or both. :D

Or until wars (the new one's a good start) raise WE to uncontrollable levels again. Or both. :D

Its the BB wars that did this. As long as he doesn't go over his BB limit he will be fine. However, if he gets an incompetent MIL TSC when he is well into the next war, the horde could still implode the same way it was doing before the current Khan appeared. I am not sure how long before he has a good enough base to be go permanently BB, but a decent lifespan from this Khan might well be enough.

Its the BB wars that did this. As long as he doesn't go over his BB limit he will be fine.

Yes, that's what did it last time and those are the most probable circumstances. However, England seems to be DoWing regardless and the Ottomans might go after their mission province. If all of that (and maybe some other DoW) happens while the Lithuanian alliance is still in, it might lead to WE. I'm not trying to jinx anything, I'm just trying to say that uncontrollable WE could happen even with a BB limit and without a TSC. ;)

However, I don't really see it happening either. Prawnstar got the WE low enough that there shouldn't be too many rebels to handle the war(s).

Hey Prawnstar?

You should make a competition, with the objective of getting closest to the end rebel number! You could make a post of it somewhere.

My guess would be 10 millions, 235 thousand.

FEEDBACK

Vesimir - I like the Persian border - the travel times for rebel bashing are a lot better! I suspect opportunities for deliberate action are going to be relatively few after TSCs, WE problems and BB wars,

naggy - Welcome to the Happy Horde :)

The Arch Mede -

I think that Federation has 'better' slider limits for Westerisation - I could be wrong as I only checked briefly.

I'm annexing rather than vassalising because I can tbh and because that's my play style - I'm not much for vassals.

Cores occur after fifty years irrespective of any nationalism revolt risk - generally I have nationalism up until the province cores as most provinces fall at one point or another during a TSC.

Enewald - Rebels under control, for now:)

GaiusC - The high military Khan is absolutely the difference - as I'm not getting anything like as many DOWs (not the case in the next decade) I can get WE down. I need to get WE down the revolt risk has killed my tax income so I'm too economically weak to build up my army.

Davout - I believe that Middle Mongolian as opposed to Classical or Modern would be most appropriate :)

This update isn't as successful :(

naggy - Good spot, but surely you mean less wars being declared on me :cool:

Angry_Norway - Thanks - this war may ot be quite what you're expecting.

Malurous - Yip definitely made some nice progress there. WE was down to less than 2 IIRC.

I knew that someone in the forum was Mongolian so yes please if you're reading enkhuush - what's OKH in Mongolian?

Colonists

You've spotted the problem that GaiusC and aldriq were thinking about. Colonisied provinces aren't cored so come TSC time they revolt. Nice. I do intend to colonise Siberia - once I westernise I should be able to afford it.

Johan11 - True the Khan dropping dead would be inconvenient.

sprites - The enemy alliance does have a couple of problems...

Chief Ragusa - The way I see it there's no point worrying about neigbours with missions CBs etc. If they attack they attack - I'll beat them; mostly.

GaiusC - The Ottoman backstab is a potential problem. Burgundy isn't, already gone. Even by IN standards France is going psycho - I fear greatly the day we have a common border :eek:

morningSIDEr - Killing rebels doesn't seem to stop them although not dying in external wars helps. People are strange :)

wraitii - Thank you hope you keep on enjoying.

Keinwyn - The border does look a lot better doesn't it :cool:

Malurous - Uncontrollable WE - I'm going to try and avoid that!

The Arch Mede - Good points. I wouldn't choose to go permanently BB before I'd recovered from westernisation. Neither my military nor my economy is strong enough. That's about a century away :eek:

blsteen - And that's the key point - will everyone come to play!

soulking - Peace, reasonably sure that it'll arrive by 1822.

tuore - Peace? That's the bit when everyone else is dead.

Malurous - I hope that I can keep WE under control if I'm not in a BB war situation. Certainly I'll get DOWs but thye'll be from my neighbours and I can hurt those a lot more han I can hurt say Engand or Castile. Anyway it's getting close to QftNW time on the western Atlantic so that might distract England at least.

Johan11 - A final rebel count competition sounds like a thought - I'll think on it over the weekend.

The next update takes us to where I've played to and I doubt much will happen in the next couple of days as I'm having a belated housewarming party tomorrow night.

Chapter Twenty Four

The situation isn’t quite as bad as those raw numbers suggest. Only Lithuania has a direct border with Horde territory although experience has shown the Austrians are prepared to march against Sarai. Mecklenburg is in a PU with Lithuania so will be a source of enemy troops until the end of the war while neither Brandenburg or Bohemia currently have a route to get troops to face me. The Bohemian King is excommunicated so that may also be useful.

The bad news is Austria is Emperor; this is also the good news. While they have bottomless manpower there could be calls for it nearer home.

Of my other neighbours:
  1. Novgorod has a mission but no CB
  2. Pskov has a permanent CB
  3. Yaroslavl has a permanent CB and a mission
  4. Muscovy has a mission but no CB
  5. Hungary has neither mission nor CB
  6. Ottoman Empire has a mission but no CB
  7. Mamluks has neither mission nor CB
  8. Iraq has a permanent CB
  9. Qara K has a permanent CB
  10. Persia has a permanent CB and a mission
  11. Nogai has neither mission nor CB
  12. Khazak has neither mission nor CB
As far as I’m concerned I have the ‘Colour thief’ CB on Persia and the Mamluks, the ‘Annoying Bastards’ CB on England and Nogai and the ‘Pretentious Gits’ CB on the Ottomans (City of the World’s Desire my arse – and anyway build your own mosque don’t renovate – you do not know who Sarah Beeny is!)

At the start of 1492 the Lithuanians are building a doomstack in Smolensk (on their side of the border) – I’m really hoping that will turn out to be a mechanism for war exhaustion. I’ve a smaller army facing it; there’s a lot of marching and countermarching under way simply to keep that force engaged and possibly eating attrition. In the south I’ve beaten a couple of small units. No one else has sent troops yet.

Battle of Kholm – April 1492

9sz21v.jpg

The Lithuanians marched north and assaulted – I hit the army after the assault failed but before the infantry recovered morale. I won’t pursue as all I’m trying to do is pin this stack here and let attrition do its work.

There’s a lot of very careful manoeuvring and indeed cancellations of movement going on here to avoid combat except on advantageous terms. That’s a big army and Shock 6 could be devastating.

Second Kholm – July 1492

whbceg.jpg

A defensive battle with roughly equal numbers goes very well. Kiev falls at almost the same time. The benefits of the Northern Pin strategy start to show. I do have a developing problem with Austrian troops working through Hungary and Poland.

Battle of Polotsk – August 1492

33lpbq1.jpg

I gave chase and have heavily beaten the Lithuanians again. However, they are retreating towards their reserves in Minsk so I pull back. I have no intention of campaigning in the winter on enemy territory as the attrition will carry a high war exhaustion cost and after the last few decades I’m wary of that.

Bryansk and Orel core in March 1493 – Most of my Russian lands are now cores so it’s definitely time to push out the boundaries.

May sees Ak K nationalists rise in Azerbaijan. At 9000 men this is the sort of problem that needs an army to resolve and all my troops are in Lithuania. The Caucasus garrison originally held back was moved up once Austria became a threat,

Lithuania – June 1493

2rhtfdt.jpg

I’m winning against Lithuania although they aren’t yet ready to make peace as their armies to a large extent are intact. Austria is my problem – the unit moving through Polish/Hungarian land is 15 Regiments with a good General – it’s been interfering for the last year or so.

War Score is +28 although that’ll rise quickly once the war drags on long enough to let me white peace people out.

War exhaustion is 2.81; for Lithuania 8.95.

The Lithuanian King dies days later; they take a stab hit and lose the PU with Mecklenburg. The new King is A/D/M 9/8/9. Nice, he’ll probably have war god stats as a general.

Enemy troop numbers are climbing like a rocket – there are now 80000+ Cavalry and 70000+ Infantry. However, Austria is losing interest so:

qzoch0.jpg

Mecklenburg has landed some troops in Archangelsk and is blockading the Black Sea coast but Lithuania is essentially alone now. The citizenry aren’t impressed; Ryazan rises in nationalist revolt as does Kartli at the end of the month.

Bersh cores in August and the new Lithuanian King loses his first battle – I bled heavily in the process losing twice as many men before he breaks off (Yes Shock 6). By late September I can start stab hitting. The Lithuanians won’t concede anything even though I have +37 war score as their Capital is unoccupied and their armies battered but intact.

Tartar Voronezh converts back to Sunni in late November. Religious conversions are my main focus for internal improvements at the moment.

War exhaustion is climbing by the end of the year (3.70) as the war is carried to the foe.

The Ottomans declare War – February 1494

14l3p06.jpg

You can see the Ottomans aren’t starting this war in great shape and look there’s Nogai, happy times. My troops are months out of position. I have a small cavalry force in the Caucasus fighting Georgian nationalists – I’ll move it against Nogai when I get the chance.

The full alliance is the Ottomans, Serbia, Bosnia, Nogai, Yemen and Hedjaz.

The concentration of the front in Lithuania is working against me as I fight bigger stacks on hostile territory. The Lithuanians have a Shock 6 General and a Shock 5 General as well as that King. Unfortunately they won’t make a sensible peace yet.

I miscalculate and end up with the entire Lithuanian army under their King pouncing on a stack after a failed assault. It’s time to cut and run before I lose 30% of my military. Despite 42 war score I can only force a 24 point peace deal.

Peace with Lithuania – February 1494

2d6qf46.jpg

I’m really, I mean really not happy at this point – I wanted Poltava possibly Smolensk and Lithuania’s treasury. Lithuania is plunged straight into another war in Germany and they’ve guaranteed a couple of minors so once I get the Ottomans out the way…

By early summer I’ve still not engaged the enemy – but Ottoman war exhaustion is rocketing as a 39 regiment force storms Budjak and then marches onwards to Cherson. I’ll observe from a couple of provinces distance and hope war exhaustion will do much of the work for me. The main effort this year will be in the Caucasus where Ottoman forces are smaller and dispersed.

Dagestan (Shiite) converts in June.

Déjà vu – July 1494

ta303r.jpg

I make another slider move Innovative late in the year – the side effect is a naval reformer rather than anything nasty such as a stab hit.

Hungary declares War – November 1494

2s9r8.jpg

The full enemy alliance is Hungary, Sweden, Naxos, Bavaria, Austria, Naples and Muscovy.

OK this is crazy, Hungary has 5.99 WE, Sweden 12.81 and Austria 12.38 – offensively breaking the truce has cost them five stab as well. That’s less of a problem than for most as they are still Emperor. The armies are huge but how interested all these people will be is another matter. The truce with Persia is up soon as well…

Battle of Imereti – November 1494

241rrbk.jpg

That’s twenty Ottoman regiments destroyed; the stack had marched to Imereti from Bulgaria via Horde territory north of the Black Sea.

Second Battle of Imereti – December 1494

73nzwj.jpg

The next Ottoman wave hits six days later and I have to run to keep my army intact. If I was only fighting the Ottomans I’d be happy at this point they’ve bleed out a lot of manpower as well as losing twenty complete regiments and ramping up WE – currently 9.09.

The Black Sea – April 1495

fxc9js.jpg

I’m down a couple of provinces against the Ottomans but I’m very happy with the way their manpower is burning at speed. The Hungarians haven’t managed anything of note – my Northern army is currently finishing off the Muscovites before moving south to try and pick off some smaller formations.

Third Imereti – April 1495

acfqir.jpg

The Ottoman advantage in land tech and units is starting to be noticeable. I’d have preferred to have won here but they are still running up WE.

Persian patriots take their chance rising 9000 strong in Hamadan in May.

By August the Ottomans have 48 regiments in the Caucasus in large stacks so I can’t get kills in before the morale difference tells.

The Ottomans offer Peace – September 1495

e0g5e1.jpg

I take this as I really struggle going up against the Ottoman war machine. I think that the war exhaustion strategy has worked here since their armies are better tech, higher morale and more numerous than mine. At least I managed to vassalise Nogai and this has cleared the Ottoman warning.

The screenshot also shows the swarm of enemy units in the Crimean region. Missing is Naxos’s invasion of Archangelsk :cool:

Moscow!

16733i1.jpg

I decide to annex Muscovy, done correctly on the last day of the year. The Map in Diplomatic mode shows I have relatively few uncored Russian provinces so the TSC should be less challenging than previously.

Freed of the Ottoman threat I’m able to push the Hungarians and their allies back to the border. The Neapolitans in particular lack leadership and lose some 40 regiments. Austrian, Bavarian and Hungarian forces suffer very heavy casualties although few units are destroyed

Mid summer 1496 brings another Persian patriot uprising in Hamadan and Tverian nationalists in Rzhev.

The twin battles of Cherson and Bessarabia

33xttg9.jpg

Cherson sees the Bavarian army (18 regiments) beaten; it’ll be chased and beaten again Budjak but ultimately escapes. The attack on Bessarabia cost me my best general but that force is 55 regiments of Austrians and Hungarians. Naples manages to throw away another 10 regiments in the Crimea while Naxos channelling the spirit of William Pitt lays siege to Trebizond in addition to Archangelsk.

Persia declares War – September 1496

2cfs86o.jpg

I don’t really want anything from the Hungarians now – land gains either give me a border with Poland or an extended and vulnerable border with the Ottomans that is very isolated in a TSC. Tired of a war going nowhere I pay Hungary 25 ducats for peace. It’s hard to win when my armies are so small compared with the opposition but my economy is too feeble to support much more.

Ukrainian nationalists rise in Chernigov as December ends. January 1497 brings more revolts; Tula (Tverian nationalists) and Azerbaijan (Ak K nationalists). There’s a reasonable sized Persian army marching on Azerbaijan and it does the hard work to break the rebels. The next revolt isn’t until October in Ustyug when Qasim Khanate nationalism returns. There’s an Orthodox zealot uprising in Kostroma in January 1498.

War exhaustion has got away from me to a fair degree – it’s now over 7. The war isn't very interesting it takes me half a year to get into position.

February sees Hungary become junior partner in a Personal Union with Mantua. Elsewhere France is rampaging through Northern Italy seeking to claim Lombardy – the Austrian Emperor is in trouble – there are French armies at the gates of Vienna.

Peace with Persia – April 1498

bv85f.jpg

War exhaustion (7.36) was climbing and my Khan is getting old (19 years).

Yes that was very conservative play I’d like to work an opportunity to hit Lithuania again and I want to be in a position to fight a long war.

Qasim Khanate nationalists rise in Yaroslavl shortly afterwards, presumably in disappointment at the peace deal. In August Lithuania exports a 9000 strong Socinian heretic army to Catholic Chernigov, notable mainly for this being the first time we’ve ever seen this brand of rebel. There’s also a Trebizondian nationalist uprising that month.

Iraq exports a Shiite zealot army from Khuzestan in November; it’s a bit ragged around the edges but at 21 regiments is a significant force.

Rebellion in Moscow – Muscovite nationalists rise in arms in March 1499, 18,000 of them (7/11). There’s a second Muscovite nationalist uprising in Yaroslavl weeks later. September brings a third muscovite uprising in Tula and Georgian nationalists in Alania.

And then it’s 1500.

So what we have learned is that the AI will DOW even without a CB if it spots a dogpile.

Rebel Count = 386 (+17)
Rebels = 1,992,000 (+116,000)

----------​