• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well everybody hates you even your vassals and your economy still barely deserves the name but you keep things together. If not by wealth an glory then by brute force with your army. That's what a real Khan should do anyways... :D

Whats up with that world map in West Africa? Aren't there some countries normally? Edited the out because nobody cares about them? :D

Each rebel type has goals, so some of them (peasants, revolutionaries, pretenders) do not seek to defect/form a new nation, and never will. You can leave peasant rebels standing around occupying an island for the entire game and never have any ill effects.

Peasant rebels however are one of those rebel types that it is usually beneficial to give in to however. I believe it's just -10 prestige and then a +1 free subjects slider move. The prestige is annoying, but not bad. The slider move however is almost always a good thing.

I can't believe you can actually play. I tend to get irritated very quick when my game becomes whack-a-rebel. And your whole game is just about rebel killing!
You must really love us. :p
And you have not to forget that Prawnstar actually had a test game with Golden Horde, before actually doing this AAR :eek:

Belatedly catching up on Writer of the Week and thought I'd poke my nose in. Despite some parts flying over my head at high speed (no EU3) it has been an enjoyable read, your fight for survival is fascinating despite the details being a mystery, very good work.

Could the current Khan be stuffed & tied to his horse. It worked for El Cid (sort of). This would be especially effective witha new rule at court saying noone could look directly at the Khan.

FEEDBACK

naggy - This guy does well but there's never a good time for a Khan to die :(

axzhang - If it's peaceful half an hour, during a TSC probably 6 to 8 hours but remember I'm writing stuff down as I go and editing screen caps. Most of the game is played on the slowest setting.

Colombo - Steady on old chap :eek:o;)

sprites - Yes hopefully I westernise before 1600. I've kept National Conscripts because I had manpower problems in the test games - that hasn't happened so far but I've not faced a really serious foreign invasion yet.

GaiusC - Pretenders don't defect or declare independance - they want it all :)

GaiusC & aldriq - The problem I have foresee lies specifically with a certain type of uncored province - a province type I won;'t have for several decades :)

naggy - thanks for the explanation!

Wolfhashat - True taking out the Russians does give Sweden good access but I don't expect Sweden will have the manpower to really hurt me. So what if they get to Moscow the armies won't get back home. Taking out Lithuania on the other hand is riskier.

Dafool - That sounds about right - the Middle East is likely to get messy

dinofs - They've had one and the Ottomans won - notice Ottoman Aleppo and Basra.

Johan11 - Qara K isn't easy is it? :D

Donfodio - The Horde doesn't know West Africa so I edited it out - I know virtually all the rest.

Vesimir - Rebels are usually annoying but I'm finding it different when they are the point of the game.

lordkestrel - If I break to peasants I'll probably lose quite a bit to nationalists as well :(

GaiusC - Yip a couple of short tests and one game through to about 1650

Leonaru - Mamluks

El Pip - Glad you liked it - I expect that this AAR will continue in much the same vein for the next 350 years and the rest of 2010.

I've rather enjoyed your stuff over in HOIland - even though I don't have the game I've read so many AARs I follow lots of the game play detail. I get disappointed whenever someone places the USA in the second civil war in KR :eek:o

CatKnight - Yes, Mamluks

Enewald - Wise words just not too easy :)

Keinwyn - Rebels are my main product - I could probably do with modding them in as provincial trade goods.

Alfredian - Not a bad idea :D

blsteen - The problem is I keep getting DOWed

aldriq - The zealots are doing well and if they can get as far as Moscow and Novgorod down the line thaten that will be even better :cool:

FlorisDeVijfde - Ming can be a royal pain but they do suffer a few War Exhaustion problems marching doomstacks into the steppes...

Chapter Sixteen

Qara K accepts an alliance offer in January 1450. To misquote 'Reader I allied them'.

Persia declares War – January 1450

sc83yg.jpg

Let’s see how this vassal thing pans out. Qasim Khanate nationalists rise in Orel weeks after the war starts.

Novgorod declares War – April 1450

2zf1gdh.jpg

Dogpile incoming?

A year into the Persian conflict and the war has bogged down into a series of battles across the Caucasian mountains. I’ve a Shock 5 general who can go up against the Persian leader but there’s little I can do about the morale gap.

Novgorod doesn’t have the leadership of the Horde but rebel distractions have prevented me making much headway. I’m down Beloozero and Archangelsk is under siege but I’ve troops in Kholm and I’m bearing down on Novgorod’s army which is suffering making assaults through the Russian winter.

Battle of Georgia

9i9xev.jpg

I *think* I can bleed Persia out and quite possibly they’ll get attacked by someone else if I hit them hard enough. Russian patriots will rise in Bryansk early in 1451.

Cores! March 1451

2zrot4z.jpg

That’s two rebel factories decommissioned in time for the next TSC. It might even help the economy a little bit. Surgut falls to another Siberian nationalist revolt weeks later, wiping out the partially built fort in the province. Solikamsk revolts the next month, this time its Qasim Khanate nationalists. Vyazma revolts in June 1451, Russian patriots backed by Novgorod a novelty after endless Qasim Khanate and Muscovite affiliated rebels.

The Ottomans declare War – July 1451

xqjfgi.jpg

This really isn’t good – there are a lot of Ottoman troops pouring over the frontier. Still, there’s yet another opportunity to beat up Nogai. The Ottomans are very cavalry heavy so it’ll be sieges not assaults which is useful.

Persia accepts a white peace a couple of weeks later; war score was -4 but their war exhaustion was at 10.87 and climbing. At a guess my deployment of a big stack forced Persia to do the same and they suffered heavy attrition even before the big battles.

Nogai is forced from the war – September 1451

2zrgldz.jpg

A single regiment of mercs runs through Nogai’s unfortified provinces even as they lay siege to Bersh. I want them out the war quickly so that I’m not distracted by them. If I don’t take troops away from the main front then in time they’ll take provinces and hit my war exhaustion.

Checking morale – my base morale is 1.91, the Ottomans 4.34 so it’s going to be difficult. I’m going to try massive concentration of troops and hope that the Ottomans stand and fight to the last man. I can’t help thinking that if they get in trouble someone will go after them.

Castile declares War - January 1452

20rrdcz.jpg

Five days after the truce from the last war ends. It’ll be a relief when they start colonising! Portugal also joins again.

In the same month Novgorod offers a white peace I’m happy to accept. Once the Russian rebels are dead I’ll redeploy that army to Archangelsk to hinder invasion attempts.

I also make a slider move Innovative in February 1452 at a cost of 5 prestige; dropping from -55 to -60.

March sees further unrest in the Russian provinces with revolts in Tula and Zavolochye. Solikamsk will revolt again in October.

The two enemy alliances are making ground around the Crimea but the Ottoman army in the Caucasus is undermanned and badly lead.

esp9w5.jpg

Notice both the Horde prestige gain and the Ottoman WE. Ottoman WE is up to 6.35 just behind mine at 6.60. Big cavalry armies invading Russia are not a good idea.

The Qara K force besieging the fortress at Erserum is acting as a magnet for Ottoman units in Anatolia. I’ve based a strong (8 & 8) army across the border in Horde Imereti and time interventions to arrive a day or so after the Ottomans. With both the defensive terrain bonus and a Shock 5 general I’m hurting them.

By early 1453 I’m slowly losing the wars. The defensive skirmish line is now Azow/Kharkov as the collective enemy numbers are very high. I’m still holding the Turks on the Caucasian border but there are repeated Portuguese and Castilian landings that prove difficult to clear.

March 1453 sees further distraction with an Ak K nationalist revolt in Dagestan and Siberian nationalists in Koda a month later.

Hungary declares War – August 1453

4lorix.jpg

The screenshot shows Hungary’s allies (+ Byzantium). My border provinces are held by the Ottomans so I’m not sure what will happen here. War Exhaustion has climbed far too high for comfort but neither the Ottomans nor Castile are interested in peace, any peace.

This calls for another war list:
  • Golden Horde and Qara K vs Castile and Portugal: +13
  • Golden Horde and Qara K vs Ottoman Empire, Bosnia and Serbia: -8
  • Golden Horde and Qara K vs Hungary, Austria, Naples, Yaroslavl, Byzantium: 0
It seems that the arrival of the Hungarians in the war and the fact that the Ottomans have got to all the sieges first has changed Castile’s take on things…

Peace with Castile – August 1453

21ec7dj.jpg

The Theatre of War

2lwvm1x.jpg

Georgian Nationalists rise in recently cored Georgia soon afterwards. The province has a Bosnian siege force as well as Castilian and Portuguese units waiting to go home.

Early 1454 Hungary hasn’t moved as the border is Ottoman occupied. My WE is 8.01 and the Ottomans have WE 10.25. There’s a single big Otto army in Azow and some battered looking forces in the Caucasus. I’m considering an invasion of Anatolia.

More cores! – March 1454

24p094y.jpg

I don’t suppose Solikamsk will stop revolting until I convert it to Sunni which will also culture flip it.

There’s a revolt in Tver in March and a second one in June as my troops are close to beating the initial uprising. June also sees Georgian Nationalists in Imereti and peasants in Simbirsk.

Late August 1454

315zifo.jpg

Wonderful event. I chose this the alternative is 3 points of inflation. Beating the Ottomans around has raised my Prestige to -27.9 I’m very close to getting to -25 which fulfils my mission and gives +1 stab and +10 prestige. Stab costs are over 1900 and even at full investment I make barely 55 a month! On balance this was the wrong call.

Austria calls a Crusade against us late in 1454 but I’m not too concerned unless Lithuania DOWs. The Hungarians still haven’t moved as the border provinces are Ottoman occupied. I intend to leave it like that.

England declares War – December 1454

2yobq07.jpg

I can only imagine this means another pointless invasion of the Arctic provinces. The biggest problem is that when I go into the inevitable TSC I’m going to be running with a lot of WE.

Battle of Lugansk – February 1455

2r3ldvs.jpg

I’ve now got positive war score against the Ottomans and they seem to be virtually out of manpower. Otto WE is now 12.48. Prestige is -25.7 getting closer… Rebels take Imereti and Simbirsk the next month so prestige drops to -27.5 :rofl:

The Hungarians finally move over the border in May 1455 some 21 months after declaring war.

The Ottomans offer White Peace in June 1455 – rejected as not good enough. The peasantry aren’t impressed by that decision and revolt in Mordvar. Ryazan revolts in the autumn and there’s a Patriot uprising in occupied Yaroslavl (as it’s the junior partner in a PU I can’t make a separate peace).

Northern Front – January 1456

2rh8w3r.jpg

I’m pretty much ignoring this area just reclaiming a rebel siege and letting General Winter inflict some pain on England.

Southern Front – January 1456

ao5ah2.jpg

Yes that is Tyrone invading. Ulster says No :rofl: War score against the Ottomans is +34 and while they have a lot of troops left those troops are stuck in Basra with no way home. They’ll make peace when I want as WE is 13.5.

England isn’t interested in peace at any price. WE is now 8.14 and at +1 stab I lose 68 ducats a year.

However, Hungary is willing to make peace for surrendering the vassalage of Nogai. I’ll take it I need peace.

16hu6ip.jpg

No worries, Nogai will be back. It does cost me 5 prestige so I’m back at -30.5.

Vladimir revolts days later and Siberian Koda within the month. I need troops in the north as the rebellions are growing and I want to push England out. Dagestan revolts, Ak K nationalists, in the spring. I’ve no troops available to deal with this as my Southern forces are spread across Anatolia in sieges. Perhaps it’s time for peace with the Ottomans.

Peace with the Ottomans – June 1456

ehd8xi.jpg

This deal brings a couple more provinces and enough cash to give me four to five years expenditure. Ottoman WE had reached 14.65. Prestige of -26.20 rose to -26.20. Oh.

Falling off Horses – 17th July 1456

1yvedv.jpg

Rebel Count = 148 (+20)
Rebels = 739,000 (+88,000)

----------​

Ouch...
Good luck with the next TSC, you'll need it. (well, thankfully, you seem to only have the English war going on now, but the Persian truce should end before the end of the crisis...)

GaiusC & aldriq - The problem I have foresee lies specifically with a certain type of uncored province - a province type I won;'t have for several decades
Oh, wouldn't it be the fear of losing your American conquests at the first TSC, with all the "colonies" - which you actually didn't colonise but conquered - rebelling and declaring independance?

Yay! Reinforcements against the English! :p