Thread: Is there any way to turn off the gold/silver/bronze on missions?

Is there any way to turn off the gold/silver/bronze on missions?

I don't like artifical time limits on missions. I like to be able to explore the map, and slowly advance on enemy fortifications. There is nothing more frustrating than losing a mission just because you weren't moving fast enough, plus I routinely have to skip half the map. So is it possible to change the setting so that you have 99 turns to get a gold win?

P.S. It seems like the recommended way to play this game is to save every turn, and reload if something bad happens. Personally, I don't like playing a game that way. I prefer to play an entire map, and only restart if I fail.

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I don't know about the turn limit, but as I understand it the randomness is fairly low, so your gains from saving at every turn is limited to getting to know where your enemy was and what he is about to do. So you should manage about as well without saving. (Granted, it is a greater challenge)
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fian View Post
    I don't like artifical time limits on missions. I like to be able to explore the map, and slowly advance on enemy fortifications. There is nothing more frustrating than losing a mission just because you weren't moving fast enough, plus I routinely have to skip half the map. So is it possible to change the setting so that you have 99 turns to get a gold win?

P.S. It seems like the recommended way to play this game is to save every turn, and reload if something bad happens. Personally, I don't like playing a game that way. I prefer to play an entire map, and only restart if I fail.
    Elven Legacy is very challenging; let me start with that. That's both a good (and bad thing). The good thing is, you have three levels of difficulty, which even easy offers a challenge (if you attempt to get all artifacts/explore all, accomplish all side quests) Trying to do everything on hard mode is, for me, in many cases nigh on impossible. The mid range difficult is also very hard.

I know how you feel. I have had it for a week, and played saving after every move or at least every turn, reloading when disaster struck, because its in the tradition of the fire emblem games - when something dies, its gone, and with the limited resources and time it takes to level, loosing a unit is never good.

After about a week I have been - well trying in any case - to ween myself off the reload process, by accepting more of the "fate" aspect of the game. The first time you accept loosing a unit, well, it makes things a bit easier.

One thing that did help me, is putting it on "Easy' difficulty - its still challenging, and if you are anything like me, which it sounds like - taking your time, wanting to explore all (to discover all artifacts, complete side quests) I have found on easy mode its still a challenge, but not so painstakingly difficult and frustrating where you are reloading many times until you get that 1 extra damage point.

So that's what I would recommend to you. It makes getting a gold win less time restraint. The AI isn't any easier as well - just a little less enemies, from what I can tell.
    On his deathbed, General NarvŠez was asked by a priest if he would like to forgive his enemies and make his peace. The General looked confused and replied to the priest, "Father, I have none to forgive. I have had them all shot."

Easy mode still has the same amount of turns to complete. What I really want is to turn off the gold/silver/bronze. And let's be honest - setting a time limit on a mission is cheap difficulty. I am also a veteran of Fire Emblem games, and I don't save/reload after every turn there either.

The current design of this game is a defect, and I really hope the developers realize this and change the future of the game.

You can edit any of the missions in the editor. Go into the settings and change the timings to whatever you please.

Time limits are not a 'defect', they are a combat mechanic that encourages efficient strategies. It's your opinion that you don't like them. It's perfectly possible to play through the game without reloading if you know what you're doing. There's no randomness like Fire Emblem, and any poor results are your own fault. I suggest you read my Tactical level turn based strategy, SRPG, TRPG, TBS 101 article to learn more about the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherModel View Post
    painstakingly difficult and frustrating where you are reloading many times until you get that 1 extra damage point.
    Elven Legacy is almost never so difficult that you need to mash reload to get an extra point of damage to survive, even on hard/gold.. there's like two skippable missions that are an exception. You are just frustrating yourself instead of improving your strategy.
    Last edited by mjemirzian; 28-07-2010 at 03:39.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Fian View Post

You don't need to do this.

I finished it by imposing to myself no reload except if I lost (i.e. the main characters die, which happened fairly rarely ; in that case I would start the whole map again). I sometimes lost 3 - 4 units in a level, did not always managed to get Gold (but almost always at least Silver), and still managed to defeat the game.

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourElven Legacy CollectionFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Iron CrossSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2

I find it a big challange on easy. Only had the game a few days but just cant get anywhere with it. Ive got all the expansions and tried all of them. Just to many enemies to kill. No matter what units i have they all get killed before the gold time runs out. When i have archers there r no air units to kill. But when i dont have archers there is loads of air units which i cant do nothing about lol. Its like the AI always has the best units to take out my units. The AI also has way to many units do deal with. They concentate all their units on my strongest unit till its dead no matter how i deploy them. Im usually surrounded at the start of a mission so i deploy in a circle with my hero in the middle but they always break in on the 1st wave and kill half my units. So far i havent even been able to complete the 1st mission cause the time runs out or all my units r dead before ive even had a chance to move to the objective. Ive never played a game like this before so it will take time to work out how to play it lol. Im used to games like HOI and vicky.