• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah. Some autogenerator of new countris, like Somalic holy republic etc. would be great, something, that would actively react to current game situation and adapt states into their new form.
Something like, when Austria expand a lot, it would rename itself into Great Austria. But when some nationalist problem occur and (lets say) AI will grant greater independence (by regular decision) to maygar to calm down second greatest state nationality, it would rename itself into Austria-Hungaria. That would be great, but quite hard to implement.

The more it goes, the more I know we need this in EU4. :p

I agree, the more grandiose features will have to be implemented in the sequel. At the same time, I'm in no rush for it to arrive. Another expansion, heck, two more expansions, for EU3 would be fine by me. EU3 is an excellent game, just as HoI2 was, and I fear that EU4 might turn out to be a mess like HoI3 (even with SF).

With that in mind, I'll gladly continue to play and support EU3 for quite awhile:)

On the subject, I just told myself that most of the flags are actually based on family crests. (Of course, a national flag doesn't exist at the time in most cases, because the concept of "nation" is still very vague.)
But, if the ruling family runs dry, there's no reason that the flag wouldn't change, as it doesn't make sense anymore.
Of course the new family in charge would have brought their own crest to emblazon everywhere.

So you want the game to automatically change the flags for every country when the ruling dynasty changes? That would make a lot of things quite confusing. :p

I agree. At the same time, I'm in no rush for it to arrive.

Great minds think alike. ;)

As for the game to auto-assign flags when the dynasty changes, it would be way too confusing (and some countries would end up having the same flag, wich is a total nonsense) and probably messy to implement.

Though, if anyone at Paradox would like to investigate that way, I guess since the engine is able to recognize same dynasty monarchs, there may be something to look at in this direction.

(But that would involve a flag generator (based on the faces they had for CK, it worked pretty well) with all flags divided in four, with one quarter dedicated to the ruling dynasty's emblem, on top of the rest, something along those lines. Might be a bit complicated, but I'm willing to help! :D)

[Edit : Let me illustrate that quickly :
112358.29030.jpg
would be the flag of Armagnac, ruled by a Valois monarch, while
112358.29031.jpg
and
112358.29032.jpg
would be the flags of Von Wittelsbach and Plantagenêt Armagnacs.

Oh, and speaking of that, I would like very much if the engine could detect dynasties as being "foreigners", and would increase both the revolt risk and the chance of pretender revolts if it is the case! :cool:]

Last edited:
The problem with the Plantagenet arms you put forwards there is that all the English/British dynasties (since possibly even the Normans - although they weren't exactly English...) have assumed the "three lions" upon taking the throne, as it is seen as the arms of England itself.
Amusingly it's more likely to be a claim to Normandy and Anjou/Guyenne rather than to England as they've added the lions from both shields together.

Note, I am deliberately ignoring the brief Commonwealth as although a dynasty of sorts, it was republican rather than monarchic, and just replaced the arms of the kingdoms in Britain with their individual national flags.

Although the idea is good, the flag for places like Armagnac is at least partially a territorial claim for the counties/duchies they hold. Castille, Aragon and (eventually) Spain are also territorial flags and don't change much even if the dynasty ruling the area does.

Others however may be dynasty related rather than territory related, and these ones could change if the dynasty does - it'd be complicated as you'd need distinct arms for all the possible dynasties as well as flags for all the countries.
One possibility would depart from "historical" flags, but would be to deface the national flag/arms with that of the ruling dynasty, so for example Tudor England would have the lillies and leopards with in the centre a shield bearing a tudor rose. Similarly if the house of York were to somehow control the HRE, then the White rose of York would be on the breast of the Eagle.
-Similar in some ways to the suggestion for the Armagnac flag, but I'd say put the dynasty mark on a shield in the middle of the flag.

That's another perfectly valid choice.
(But you know, I made those up very quickly, just to be understood.)

The thoughts about it probably being difficult to achieve remain valid.
Either way, quarter or central shield, it will mask some of the flag behind, so it's just cosmetic in the end.
(And I think I prefer your center shield, cosmetically speaking.)