+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Day Mod

EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Modern Day Mod

Hi,

I wanted to throw out some ideas of what I thought would be a good mod, see if anyone else was thinking along the same lines/test the waters.

So my Idea was a Mod that extended the timeline to present day (2010) with Three New Scenarios.

1939, WWII
    1963 or 1945 Cold War
    1989 Fall of Communism

Projects-

A new set of Decisions to recreate the Space Race and maybe country projects like the internet. These goals would be achieved after making A amount of computers or B amount of Rockets and also by researching the prerequisite techs first.

New factories and Goods like Computers, Radio's, Rockets, Television's etc.

Try to implement New Military Unites such as Tanks replacing Dragoons, Mechanized infantry replacing calvary, battleships and carriers replacing older naval units.

New Events to try and simulate History such as...

the fall of colonial empires after the second world war

the rise of islamic terrorism in the 80's maybe through a system of events that give extremely high militancy ratio for clerk and higher muslim pops.

Those are my Ideas so far... So what do you think?

This makes me wonder whether it is possible to mod the building of other kinds of infrastructure like paved roads, tar roads, telephone, internet, etc.

The way I see it, a modern age mod would have to be dystopian/alternative history in nature, to account for direct wars between states typical of pre-WW2 eras, whereas in real life they've been relatively rare and limited in scope; to account for the absence of a service sector model, which really is too significant in real life to ignore; to account for the lack of air combat, perhaps by explaing planes never became significant because oil ran out, and so forth...

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

ive always thought Decision and Event chains would be perfect for the space race
    and the airship race of the century before it too

and to colon
    what youre describing seems to be an entirelly different mod
    a Modern Day Scenario, is one set today
    in todays world
    im given to understand the making of a new POP will be relatively easy, and planes can be easily abstracted or made out of land units.
    rather than building a new world, why not use your imagination alittle and fill in the empty spaces.
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    "There's nothing sicker in society
    Than a lack of liquor and sobriety!"

I would like the idea very much. I've been wanting the idea for HoI3SF as well. Sgt. Jack is working on it that end.
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: European/British
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Liberalism/European Federalist
    Issues: Free Trade/Atheism
    Militancy: 7 (-0.01)
    Consciousness: 10 (+0.12)

I'd love the 1989 scenario, as there is so many possibilities...
    And so much information on the provinces and the different events of the time.
    "For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

"When we are unwilling to draw clear moral lines between free societies and fear societies, when we are unwilling to call the former good and the latter evil, we will not be able to advance the cause of peace because peace cannot be disconnected from freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by New Aragon View Post

the rise of islamic terrorism in the 80's maybe through a system of events that give extremely high militancy ratio for clerk and higher muslim pops.
    Except that: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...teImplications

Trying to emulate modern day terrorism in the game by making the majority of the Muslim populations in the game hostile to their rulers all of the sudden at a certain date by attempting to revolt or damage the players/rulers property would directly reflect the nonsense "The Muslims are trying to take over Europe/America/The World/etc" conspiracy theories.

Using events to trigger certain real world acts of terrorism is one thing, but literally making the actual muslims pops hostile and dangerous is borderlining on prejudice.

Not to mention that the only way for the sudden muslim aggression to make sense would be if the world map and that status of the world would exactly the same in-game as it is in the real world, and its impossible for something like that to happen unless the scenario your playing starts at the beginning of the 21.century.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my "Improved economical policies Mod" for Victoria 2

If you want to try and simulate services in factories, you would probably want to make them very abstracted. Previous comments on this have said that it would be unrealistic to trade services on the world market. This can be made more realistic by making the resource a product of those services. I'm probably not explaining it well, but here's one example.

Say you want to simulate beauracratic office work. You could make a paper work "factory" to simulate this and make that resource an "everyday good" rather than a necessary for survive good. This can simulate the need for paperwork to handle sales, credit cards, bank accounts, etc.
    Granted that this can still be traded overseas, but it's not very farfetched for companies in other countries to do a lot of paperwork for people in completely different countries.

It's never going to be perfect, but you can come much closer by simulating the physical products of those services.
    "No you are wrong, ninjas can come from any ethnic culture, the Amish for example." -- FatSpider

Colonel
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Garek Maxwell View Post
    ...Say you want to simulate beauracratic office work. You could make a paper work "factory" to simulate this and make that resource an "everyday good" rather than a necessary for survive good. This can simulate the need for paperwork to handle sales, credit cards, bank accounts, etc.
    Granted that this can still be traded overseas, but it's not very farfetched for companies in other countries to do a lot of paperwork for people in completely different countries.

It's never going to be perfect, but you can come much closer by simulating the physical products of those services.
    In the really modern world (the current millennium), it's actually more and more commonplace, with accounting, callcenters etc. relocating to places like India, which has lower labour costs but plenty of people who already speak English (granted, they're taught midwestern accents for the callcenters...). Prior to modern telecommunications it's stretching the imagination a bit, but an acceptable compromise for a mod. Besides, the Swiss have been called the bankers of Europe/the world for quite some time now, so banking was exportable even before the internet...

Military units, factories, POPs, goods etc. should certainly be moddable (maybe a lot of work, but anyway). If you can mod the prestige cost of declaring war upwards (and/or the MIL cost of loosing), it should help keeps wars rarer and more limited.

Tsar of Australiarr HMAS-Nameless's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

with a mod like this u need to be really prepared an organised. If you have that then ill glad give you my support.
    AARS

GOTT MIT UNS! Rise of the Black Eagle! [DEAD] (Prussia: Victoria 2)

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the Throne

Whilst the idea of a socio-political mod set in the modern age would be interesting, do bear in mind that you won't have any air units, any advanced naval units or any nuclear weapons - nor the means to mod them in.

This is just a point of fact to keep in mind; so stick to the POP business and avoid basing your mod around modern-day warfare, as the game engine is totally unsuitable for it.

Austen.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hi,

V2 will have the Anarchist Bomb Throwing province modifier from Victoria, no?

Rename it and there you go
    no need to get wild and racist about things
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    "There's nothing sicker in society
    Than a lack of liquor and sobriety!"

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I would recommend starting post-ww2. HoI is better for playing a WW2 game anyways.

As for the rise of terrorism it needs to be very well thought out. I would recommend a system of ideologies to cover this. Instead of using Huntingtons Clash of Civilizations use a Clash of Ideologies instead. The beauty of this is that it could be used during the cold war as well.

So what is it all about? Well it is about making pops care about international politics... when it affects their way of life. In essence if country X interferes in the internal politics of country Y the population in country Y those ideology doesn't match with country X will become more militant.
    “You see, señorita, mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where.” - Cortez, The Longest Journey

I have no clue why people treat Huntington as an authority. He rose to prominence by declaring a grand sweeping thesis "the end to history." Then he stayed in prominence with the new thesis "oops, I was wrong."

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A debate on Huntington while interesting is far off-topic. Suffice to say that his best works isn't his most prominent works.
    “You see, señorita, mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where.” - Cortez, The Longest Journey

Quote Originally Posted by keynes2.0 View Post
    I have no clue why people treat Huntington as an authority. He rose to prominence by declaring a grand sweeping thesis "the end to history." Then he stayed in prominence with the new thesis "oops, I was wrong."
    Francis Fukuyama was the author of The End of History and the Last Man. Samuel P. Huntington's first prominent work was The Soldier and the State: The Theory and Politics of Civil-Military Relations.

Well, that explains my confusion!

I really do like the idea of starting after II WW (early '50 perhaps?) till today.

I don't like scenarion starting in 1989 simply becouse it gives you just twenty years and after this time you would have to go for future technologies.

Plus, there are many challenges during Cold War.

EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Hi,

First, I didn't mean to be racist. Im simply trying to represent what I think is an important issue in the modern day world (Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan). When I talk about raising militancy realize that I am dealing with limited game mechanics to represent real world situations. If you have ideas on how to do it better I am quite open to hearing them.

2. Also, has anyone heard an answer on how Victoria 2 will use military units. I looked through the dev diaries and didn't see anything. Will air units and tanks be brigades or will they be units on their own.

Hi,

First, I didn't mean to be racist. Im simply trying to represent what I think is an important issue in the modern day world (Wars in Iraq, Afghanistan). When I talk about raising militancy realize that I am dealing with limited game mechanics to represent real world situations.
    That isn't really an excuse. I suggest you look for some other way to simulate the war on terror. Simply making all muslims pops angry and aggressive is just lazy not to mention racist.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my "Improved economical policies Mod" for Victoria 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast