• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(47028)

Field Marshal
Aug 1, 2005
Introduction

This AAR is about small but professional German army fighting numerous enemies.

House rules:
  1. All campaigns start at historical time;
  2. Any non historical campaign starts only after completion of historical ones;
  3. German troops committed to a campaign are to be as small as possible;
  4. No airborne assaults or transporting;
  5. Amphibious landings are limited to attacking ports and adjacent provinces (AI does like that). Adjacent provinces could be attacked only if a port is attacked directly. The number of troops landing in the adjacent province cannot be higher than the number of troops attacking the port. If landing at adjacent provinces were made then the amphibious assault cannot be cancelled, unless, of course, transport fleet lose battle and retreat;
  6. No logistical bombing;
  7. Officer ratio no higher than 140% (SF AI tends to keep this number);
  8. Radars not bigger than Level 3.

A Normal Level game starts in 1936 but story begins from 1 September 1939. It is a gameplay with pictures telling the story.

Last edited:
Fall Weiss - preparations

Fall Weiss

An army group of 132,000 soldiers is allocated for the Fall Weiss campaign. The Second Army (1 armoured and 6 mariner divisions) is to take Danzig, Warszawa and Grodno. The Third Army (3 armoured and 3 mountain divisions) is to take Krakow and defend Germany from Polish attack. The land army is to be supported by 1,800 aircrafts.

390901OOB.jpg

390901Disposition.jpg

Last edited:
8 September 1939

Fall Weiss – the First Week

Germans moved forward. After just 12 hours of fighting mariners in North and mountaineers in South won skirmishes at Polish border and moved towards Warszawa and Krakow.

390901Battles.jpg
390907Battles.jpg

A few days later Battles of Warszawa, Lodz and Krakow began. By the end of the week Guderian’s mariners took Danzig and Rommel’s panzer division won the Battle of Grodno.

Polish surrounded mariners near Warszawa and attacked Konigsberg. Supplies are not an issue and Konigsberg’s fortifications manned by Army and Corps HQs should hold for a while.

390908Position.jpg

Last edited:
17 September 1939

Fall Weiss – the End

On 8 September, the Battle of Krakow was won. At the same time Rommel's division entered Grodno.

390908Battle.jpg

On 14 September, mariners won the Battle of Lodz and entered the city. However, they were cut off and Polish commenced a counter-offensive.

The Battle of Konigsberg intensified and a brigade of mariners were shipped from Danzig.

Polish began an offensive towards Berlin, but Hopner's panzer division was split up and halted the offensive.

On 16 September, following the bloodiest battle of the campaign, Warszawa was taken.

On 17 September, Poland surrendered.

390916Warsaw.jpg

390916Map.jpg

Last edited:
Operation Weserübung (9 April 1940)

Operation Weserübung – Preparations

A corps of 41,000 soldiers is allocated for the Operation Weserübung. Two mariners divisions are going to attack Oslo. Following capture of Oslo, one division are going to be transported and land in Narvik.

One mariners and Rommel's Panzer divisions are going to land in Arhus, then move to Odense and Copenhagen. The corps is to be supported by 900 aircrafts.

400409OOB.jpg

400409Disposition.jpg

Last edited:
i can assure you your invasion of poland was not historic, as it involved VP blitzing and leaving most of your other provinces completely undefended...

Just one question: What do you have in mind with that surplus manpower?

Probably nothing, unless something will go very badly.

i can assure you your invasion of poland was not historic, as it involved VP blitzing and leaving most of your other provinces completely undefended...

Yes I know ;) I wouldn't try this against a human player or even against AI at Very Hard level. Only the dates of start of campaigns are historical. This is just a fun game.

On the other hand the Battle of Denmark ended within 6 hours. I am not sure I can pull it out :D Holland also surrendered only after losing some key targets and the risk of bombing which can not be replicated. Basically it was VP blitzing also ;)

How do you determine the minimal force neccessary to in such an invasion? Do you run the same invasions several times until you know?

22 April 1940

Operation Weserübung – the Fall of Norway

The landing at Arhus was unopposed. Rommel's division turned South as planned and after two small skirmishes at Kolding and Sonderborg overrun 2 Danish divisions and took Odense. Danish counter-attacked at Arhus but mariners repelled the attack.

400409Kolding.jpg

The attack at Oslo was successful too, but British managed to sink some transport ships and German fleet had to retreat. However, fighting continued and on 13 April Oslo was taken.

Several time German fleet was caught by British and had to retreat but German Naval Bombers were able to inflict considerable damage the British fleet and on the third attempt Germans were able to pass the Eastern Norwegian Trench and reach Narvik.

On 19 April, Narvik was taken unopposed and on 20 April, Norway surrendered.

400419Map.jpg
400420Surrender.jpg

The Battle of Denmark continues. One panzer brigade was left to defend Argus while mariners division was sent to help out Rommel who could not form a bridgehead in Island of Zealand and attack Copenhagen.

400422denmark.jpg

Last edited:
How do you determine the minimal force neccessary to in such an invasion? Do you run the same invasions several times until you know?

I cant answer for OP, but I would determine the minimal force by doing this: How much troops do I need to defend my VPs minimum + how much troops do I need to break the enemies line and take sufficient VPs to cause a surrender.

I have played Germany probably 5-6 times so it is not like don't know who I am fighting against. All invasions performed only once in this AAR - no reload.

The fun of the game is that I have to calculate what I need before I fight. The minimal force is my best guess taking into account objectives and possible resistance. However, I am sure it is possible to do it with less, but it should take more time.

To be honest, I was expecting higher resistance from Polish AI and now I am sure I could use at least 2-3 divisions less (one less mariners, mountaineers and armour divisions).

OK gentlemen. These two campaigns were kind of exercises before the real challenges. Now you know the rules of engagement ;)

I have been playing several games with minors who were outnumbered several times by enemies (you can check out my Polish campaign) but the problem is that the minors have no much choice of composition of divisions because of technology or IC limitation. However, Germany is the perfect country for experimentation.

I saw many threads about the perfect divisions but Germany or any other major as it is do not really require perfect divisions because they can simply break enemies in-numbers.

Now, because I am not limited at anything except self limited number of troops I can search for that perfect division, or better say divisions for different occasions in order to achieve my goals.

The next operation is the Operation Fall Gelb (10 May 1940). Wikipedia says Germans had 141 divisions, while SF 1940 scenario has 104 (1,044,000 soldiers) plus 39 in reserves. At the moment I am thinking to use around 310,000 soldiers (about 30 divisions). Number of divisions doesn’t matter as only the total of soldiers counts. However, this is just preliminary thoughts without looking properly at objectives and having in mind that Republican Spain joined Allies :O

Last edited:
Operation Fall Gelb (10 May 1940)

Fall Gelb – Preparations

While the Siege of Copenhagen continues, preparations are made for the Operation Fall Gelb.

400510Denmark.jpg

An army group of 390.000 soldiers is allocated for the operation. 80.000 soldiers were added in response to Spanish Republican army noticed at Maginot Line.

The First Army (3 heavy armour and 1 mountain corps) is assigned to defend the left flank. The Second Army (1 armour, 1 mech, 1 mariners and 1 infantry corps) is assigned to take cities in the Netherlands, Belgium and France. The Seventh Army (3 armour corps) is assigned to move to France and reach Bordeaux and Brest as soon as possible.

Division composition:

• Heavy Armour divisions consist of one heavy and one artillery/infantry brigades.
  • Armour divisions consist of 3-4 armour and 1-2 artillery/engineer brigades.
  • Mariners divisions consist of 4-5 mariners brigades.
  • Infantry divisions consist of 2 infantry brigades.
  • Mountain divisions consist of 3 mountain and 1 artillery brigades.
  • Mechanised divisions consist of 3-4 mech and 1-2 artillery/engineer brigades.
  • Motorised divisions consist of 3-4 mot and 1-2 artillery/engineer brigades

400510OOB.jpg

400510Plan.jpg

400510Disposition.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, you have bit stricter rules than I gave myself, and starting with the war, hmm, I'll have to delay the reading bit some, so I don't get too much influences :rolleyes:

17 May 1940

Fall Gelb – The First Week

On 14 May, Luxembourg surrendered.

On 15 May, the Siege of Copenhagen ended. The siege lasted for 21 days and was the longest battle of the war so far.

400517Surrender.jpg

While XI. Armeekorps' offensive was proceeding faster then was planned, the offensive in Belgium stalled. Belgians and their allies were able to regroup and reinforce Bruxelles and Liege.

Fortunately situation in Flanders is better. A breakthrough is expected any time soon and the offensive will continue toward Lille.

400517Belgium.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't you even a bit nervous about not being able to cover the whole front with your units?

Yes, I am. However, I have 20 divisions out of 39 which have 5 brigades. Like in Polish and Danish operations I am going to split divisions to cover the front if necessary. I also was preparing for the assault on France from the beginning and built Level 4-5 forts in front of Maginot line. So now I can keep minimal garrisons there.

I am just worried about French units at Italian border. I read in threats that SF French AI keeps enormous number of divisions there.

I like this. You're using modern warfare like operational strikes in WW2. :D
With a lot of strat. redeployment and micro-managing your troops, I think you can cover the line.

24 May 1940

Fall Gelb – The Second Week

At last French and Belgian defences were broken in Flanders. Motorised and armoured divisions are pouring North France. Lille is taken and Paris is not too far.

Situation in Wallonia is getting better too. Liege was taken but Bruxelles received more reinforcement and the siege probably should be lifted until two mariner divisions arrive from Liege.

400524France.jpg

Last edited: