• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xnaop

Colonel
133 Badges
Nov 18, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Does anyone know what effective probabilities these are, on average? I'm guessing it's probably something like:

Impossible = 0%
Very Unlikely = 10%
Unlikely = 30%
Maybe = 50%
Likely = 70%
Very Likely = 90%

But does anyone actually know? Thanks.

In my experience, it depends on whether you're playing HT³ or not. This was always one of my pet peeves, as in IN and before the odds were fairly useless. I went on unlikely more than I did on likely, and succeeded more often. Maybe was better to go on than likely and very likely was more like no friggin' way. Now in HT³, "very likely" actually acts like "very likely". It's been a pleasant change. I'd be curious to know the "official" values myself, especially now that they seem to work as they should.

T

There should be also : Obvious ;) for 100% ;)

EDIT:

If it would be, then it would be like this:

Impossible - 0%
Very Unlikely - 1%-10%
Unlikely - 11%-50%
Maybe - 51%-60%
Likely - 61%-80%
Very Likely - 81%-99%
Obvious - 100%

The fun thing with EU3, is that once you send a diplomat at very likely, likely or maybe, they doesn't accept the first time, but after a 1 month when a new diplomat arrives they agree on signing the deal. :wacko:

A continuation question from the OP:

Does your overall DIP get considered:

A) when determining the phraseology displayed to you regarding success chance (e.g. would be Maybe, but b/c u have diplomatic skill of 7, it say "Likely")?

B) As a modifier AFTER the phraseology of success chance is displayed (so it says "maybe", but b/c you have low DIP, in reality it could be Unlikely?

C) Not at all?

Yeah I have found very likely to be just that, and everything else to still be possible, albeit far less likely. I find Likely to be the most inaccurate representation.

If V.Likely stands for 99%,you fail once in 8 years and 4 months,and i doubt that anyone fails at very likely THAT often..
So your "obvious sounds so cool so it must be there" idea is no good :|

I've had colonists fail twice in a row when the possibility was at 99% so it's possible.

Because everything besides maybe gives a more or less predictable outcome. Yet maybe only pisses me off constantly. I usually have around 2 to 3 strategic partners, countries that I want to keep good relations with. I cannot count the times when my relationship with a country went from 150 to around 20 because I simply cant get a royal marriage on a maybe :mad: