• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bizon

Lt. General
39 Badges
Apr 4, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • 200k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
NEW WORLD ORDER​
| Surrender Events Redone | Historical Gameplay 1945-1963 |​
Last Version: 0.9.0 (2011-04-25)​
(Download links in the third post)

main640.png

New World Order is a mod for Arsenal of Democracy aimed at enhancing the post-war experience. It tries to improve generic and far-from-perfect vanilla events that for years 1944-1963 which leave much to be desired, trying to maintain historical accuracy where viable. This should be of interest for any player who want a chance to enjoy a 5-10 years buildup for the WW3 in detailed historical setting. It is achieved by having events chains for resolutions on major theaters of war, which is arguably the first step to create a historical postwar environment. Then the mod ensures that proper governments get chance to form, new countries appear and limited-scale conflicts take place. At last, it takes care of limited number of ahistorical but historically plausible scenarios. NWO is an improvement pack concerned mainly about events. I have no plans to evolve it into a fully-fledged Cold War mod with new techs, models and extended timeline. Still, I see no problems if my work was used if someone else wants it to enhance it that way (see: Use in Other Mods).

Details
- Surrender events cover not only majors and ensure that postwar reorganisation does not omit areas still held by resilient minors (Italy, Manchukuo).
- There is a possibility of plenty countries to achieve independence (almost each and every country tag under specific circumstances) and provinces to change hands.
- Countries receive their postwar governments as a good start to continue historical governmental setup throughout 1945-1963 period.
- Victors in a couple of situations can decide how far their demands will go in case of demanding surrender.
- Spheres of influence are created/enlarged with countries that received provinces or freedom showing their thankfulness.

Use in Other Mods
You are free to use any files from this mod, either unchanged or modified to suit your needs. You do not have to ask me for explicit permission (notifying me by PM will be nice though and giving me credit somewhere in your mod even nicer ;) ). If you make use and modify of any of my files, I reserve rights to reintroduce bugfixes or enhancements you made to the original NWO release (again, with proper credit).

Last edited:
Credits
bestmajor for providing first photos for ministers!
Hickz, nomonhan, Yoshino for providing ideas for event creation and correction

Screenshots
Possible surrender events outcomes:
http://img94.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=victoryoverjapan1.png
Various events:
http://img267.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=8703060.png

Installation
If you want to retain an easy way of going back to vanilla, you'll only have to back up "db" folder. Then, copy contents of the archive to the main folder of your AoD installation. If you want to uninstall the mod, follow the steps:
- delete your db folder and restore it from your backup;
- delete all the files prefixed with "NWO_" from gfx\events_pics folder;
- delete scenarios\NWO_1945 folder;
- delete following files scenarios\0_gc_1944nwo.eug and scenarios\data\scenario_1945.bmp files.
You can of course create a whole separate AoD installation solely for the purpose of this mod, as usual.

Last edited:
Download
Download version 0.9.0: (8 934 kB)
[x] significant changes to Death of Stalin (1953) scenario
- modified techs for all the countries
- updated complete scenario ministerial startup
- updated OOBs for some countries, especially those that appear since 1945
- Indonesia gets naval units to let her distribute troops among islands
- updated industrial data for all the provinces according to the NWO's data for remodelling of industry throughout 1945-53
- nullified effects of war destruction (all industry current values set to respective maximum values)
- Soviet forces are redeployed from Iran to Baku
- Americans get military access to West Germany, Italy and Japan; British and French get access to West Germany
- South Africa no longer retains an expeditionary force in Italy
- British no longer keep troops in Jerusalem
- British flotillas moved from Colombo to Singapore
- Sinai Peninsula (without the channel area) is given to Egypt
[x] under historical circumstances Finland no longer receives Marshall Plan economic aid (reported by Fulmen)
[x] Yugoslav government is properly set during Tito uprising
[x] setting capital in the wake of Tito uprising should prevent quick annexation by Germany
[X] various smaller database bugfixes

See whole changelog

Last edited:
Looks quite interesting. I'l give this a try soon :)

This looks fantastic, this mod is needed very much for surrender events and endgame things.

This looks fantastic, this mod is needed very much for surrender events and endgame things.

+1

If your surrender events can shape the borders of the postwar and the cold war era, so that we can continue playing in a historical environment, than your mod will be a must have. ;) And if your cold war events make the game worth continuing, than would that be even better.

You might want to look at what SMEP did with end-war events in ARMA. Basically, if the UK/USA/France occupied the capital of a state, it would be released as a British/American/French puppet after the war; if the Soviets held it, it would be released as a Soviet puppet. If neither side held it, it would be neutral. Germany was a special case, it seemed that it would be divided based on who controlled what after the war (I had a two province DDR, for example, in a USA game where I mostly liberated Germany before the Soviets could). It worked pretty well, and I think the idea is extensible to other locations.

Anyways, once I get Windows 7 and can start playing games on my laptop next week, I'll be downloading this for sure!

If your surrender events can shape the borders of the postwar (...)

I feel that easy shaping of borders, generally in the whole mod, is possibly the biggest problem, at least without such engine features as here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10767799&postcount=10 (in short, ceding a province to controller). In majority of cases peace conclusions are very deterministic when it comes to province exchanges although I make allowances for some variations in a couple of cases (e.g. Bitter Peace).

Actually in case of Europe I don't think that it is a big problem. Both Allies and USSR were ready to grant (at least theoretical) independence to most pre-war countries. If you look at the maps, more or less in pre-war borders too.

I can think of two situations where post-WW2 borders could get ahistorical:
1. Core provinces of some nation can be divided between Allies and USSR (like Germany 1945) - that would mean that two countries need to form (like West-East Germany, North-South Korea) - quite an unpleasant thing to mod in bigger numbers. World in Flames for HoI2 took this approach and modded in possibility of divided Germany (obviously), France and Czechoslovakia. That may be some idea for the future but I still think that Allies and Soviets were generally willing to exchange occupied lands to give them to the dominating side. Examples: Western Czech Rep., Eastern Austria, Triest. So I'm generally reluctant to allowing "two province DDR" (IMHO it wouldn't form) but I'll listen to suggestions :)
2. There may be some interesting outcomes on case-by-case basis. Like with Poland. Liberated by Soviets, it lost its Eastern part but was rewarded with considerable lands in the West through Stalin's pressure. Poland liberated by the Allies would never get so much in the West but meanwhile shouldn't lose anything in the East. It's on my list of distant to-do's :)

If by shaping borders you mean setting up alliances then of course it's already in and like in SMEP (I think, even vanilla has this approach) controlling the capital city decides it. Soviet bloc is presumed to be tightly controlled (countries are puppets apart from Yugoslavia if Tito's uprising succeeds) and they can't reject the alliance or can't move from Communism (they can, but this means war with SOV, like Hungary 1956). Western Europe has much more of liberty but I may think about some mechanisms of pressure.

As for events 1945-1963 it's still to be done (I've got a rough list what will be probably in but nothing is coded yet).

There is the first batch of post-war content for countries beginning with "A" included in the new version. If you'd like to contribute, let me know, there are two files with data to check, correct and add something new.

Over the next weeks I plan to add a couple of countries every time, make some events chains for bigger and more interesting things, like Korean War, Yugoslav-Soviet tensions, end of colonialism. Soon, I'll also add a modified Doomsday scenario (not at war) to make testing easier. Just didn't want to do it since the beginning because surrender events were the priority. Still I'll be glad to see feedback even though I suppose that now AoD is a bit biased towards Germany and it's not easy to see historical WW2 conclusion.

Really excited for this mod. Surrender events and post-war chains give the game some real meaning after the majors kick the crap out of each other.

I assume your surrender events account for a German or Japanese victory?

If this is the case how do you provide challenge to the player since after bitter peace soviets are worthless?

I find the America vs German game to be a bit lackluster cause the American AI and German AI are so bad attacking across the Atlantic. (sorta another issue) but the question stands. Germany/Japan need some kind of Ahistorical rival within the greater Eurasian/african continent to be challanged in the current game.

I am sorta rambling, but again really excited for this mod and you can expect me testing it out in the next week or so, and ill provide some feedback.

Oh and your mediafire link is broken, can you host on filefront?

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about broken link. I didn't know that MediaFire is going to create such problems so soon. For now I dug out my student's hosting program (t's by far the best option as long as they don't notice I'm no longer a student :) it's possible they don't care much, though). The link has been corrected. Also, I'll be finishing countries beginning with B and events meant for keeping colonial wars local. You can pretty much monitor my progress on published spreadsheets ;)

What do you propose about post-Bitter Peace Europe? I rather wouldn't like to go completely ahistorical with some fantasy European obstacle (Alien Invaders? :) ) but I'll listen to any ideas. What can be more preferrable is steering German and US AIs to final showdown if they stay alone on the map. And/or helping them to get means of transport of troops (some province given on each other's continent through realistic event, some transport fleets for free?). At least for now I don't think they ever receive proper AIs to have them build fleets, target invasions, etc. so I'll try that first.

I am going to ramble here but hopefully i end up making sense towards the end.

In my mind the bitter peace should Balkanize Russia between pro Japanese and pro German puppets, (with the Germans still holding onto a sizable portion of Russia proper as a direct conquest maybe some cores added etc).
I think this is historical given Japans sorta half hearted attempts to expand into Russia early on in the 30's, If a totally defeated Russia were left alone they would prob pick up some territory).

This should eventually lead to another conflict between the now competing Japanese and German Spheres of influence. (post WW2)

There would be many conditions to this type of set up.

Considerations:

United States
The US in the event of both a bitter piece and a capitulation of the British should have an option to end the world wars with loss of all non continental holdings to Japanese/German interests.

What would result is a US that is concerned with its own sphere of influence which will have been reduced to North and South America. (we could ramp up a cold war type conflict) that involves the Americas and the middle east/Africa (excluding Europe and Asia this time since the Germans/Japanese would be firmly in control))

Japan

The Japanese question in such a scenario would be really dependent on what happens with the US. (such a defeat would have to come from the loss of Tokyo or the loss of all non main island provinces, and perhaps have a dissent condition associated with nukes).

If the US beats Japan it should be able to take its traditional role in south east Asia and Korea and compete with German influence in the region.

Likewise Russia would simply be balkanized into puppet states near the German border, and independent states in central/eastern Russia. Germany would then turn its attention to British holdings and former European holdings (vichy/india/etc) for influence and expansion of pro-German governments (if not outright conquest)

If Japan holds out until both a British and Russian defeat it should be allowed to reap the benefits of a Russian capitulation and end its hostilities with the United States.

British

British need some better conditions for capitulation I think. the loss of the home islands would effectively kill the British empire in such a ahistorical sitution. So I think such a loss should cause a puppet government set up (or more then one for scotland and England) and the subsequent independence of countries in all British territorys. These countries should declare neutrality and then be allowed to be influenced by the subsequent german/US cold war.

Lots of considerations, but thats sorta a basic idea of how I would see it playing out.

I like such considerations, it's for these what-ifs this mod is for :)

Bitter Peace
Currently the Bitter Peace is probably not as well-written as I'd like, probably because it's one event from vanilla that was already acceptable to some point and could be adapted. From the top of my head, Germany has 15% chance of going with full-balkanization alterantive option in newly gained territory. What I'll think about is having it more balkanized in default option.
Japan might have at least option to release puppet Primorsk with some chance for AI to do it.
USSR currently is steered towards (still shabbily simulated) decomposition and releasing Central Asian republics - frankly I don't think it would survive such a debacle, so some balkanization is already there (that's why I look for ministers for these countries too).

United States
Yes, it's certainly one thing I agree completely with and will be in. USA, idealistic rhetorics aside, IMO would be very reluctant to continue war once Europe is 100% Nazi, at least as long as Germans show willingness to peacefully divide world in two hemispheres of influence. Still it will be good to spice things up and think about some future conflict along these lines.

United Kingdom
I'll have to test it more but as much as I believe in Churchill's perseverence, the Brits might have no longer listen to him. So possibly taking over British Isles, if USA doesn't react in some time (they should get some event asking for help and new aggressive AI) and London remains in German hands should be enough. All of those declaration of independence in the British territories are already in. The difference is that they pledge allegiance to the Axis outright, thankful for liberation. It is debatable that German influence, e.g. in Africa would be so big, at least not without some military pressure, so I'll think about it.

Japan
Yes, a couple of surrender triggers are already in, loss of Home Islands and dissent from nuke included (I wish for "nuke" trigger and command!). And I think that in case of Soviet, British and American surrender Japan has a chance, in sum, of some pretty mighty rewards already.

EDIT: colored entries are already done for 0.6.2

Last edited:
The surrender events alone sound like there shaping up to be better then SMEP!

I have a question for you after looking at the "Fall of the Dragon" Surrender Events.

When this event triggers the Guangxi Clique area becomes directly controlled by the Japanese. Do you think this should go to the nat-china puppet instead?

I might just be OCD about border organization but when ever that event fires it seems weird that japan would hold onto such a huge portion of south China directly.

To go a little deeper into the ahisotorical considerations of a nat-china puppet... and Japanese victory..

Do you think that the Nat China Puppet and by extension japan, would seek to reclaim the lands that china considers to be a part of greater China? Currently when the fall of the dragon fires, the Japanese will not seek to expand anymore into traditional parts of Chinese territory (and by extension the nat-china puppet will not seek to expand). This includes Tibet, Sinkiang, Mongolia (I know its a russian puppet so this might require more thought), south east asia holdings (assuming they do not inherit them from a vichy fire event).

Ill keep testing as you through new versions up!

Would it be possible to add a series of events that lead to Operation Tannenbaum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenbaum

My thought is that after the fall of french you have a Germany pressures the Swiss. This is simply a choice for Germany to start down the event chain with a small cost associated with it (think dissent hit, and some resource requirements for preparation of the operation).

You have the Swiss prepare by making an event that increases the fortifications of there provinces at a cost with the option to not too.

After that you have a event fire that has 3 options:

Option 1: Germany Backs down (historical, AI chooses this most times)
Option 2: Germany declares war: Simple Declaration.
Option 3: Germany Tries annexation:

The third option would simulate a attempt to recreate the annexation of Austria (this time with the Swiss) and would cost the Germans a serious amount of resources to actually try. (should be the same amount as the cost of Swiss infantry divisions)

This has a chance to fail and would lead directly to war if it does. If it succeeds Germany inherits the Swiss lands as core provinces and also gets the Swiss military forces similar to how Austria military was acquired.

I'd love to invite debate on that type of event (I think that option 3 is def a toss up as to its historical accuracy). However I think this is a legit option that should be presented via events to the German player..

Thoughts?

This mod is great news. How will it work with the doomsday (1945) scenario?

Firstly, the bugs: Even though I have a numbering scheme for events (ids beginning with 81 to 85 for major surrender event chains, 86 for international events and 87 for country-specific events) I mixed up some events for Asia. Generally, SinoJapaneseWar events don't take into account Japanese victory. I thought I'll leave it to vanilla events but thinking about it now - it really should take advantage of a new China-Nanjing country introduced in Armageddon.

And as far as questions related to China go (I could answer them more precisely after working more on those events): I suppose that Guangxi provinces are, among all the Chinese regions, reasonably likely to go to Japan as they would blend well with their possessions in Indochina (already possessed or to be conquered in the time of Chinese surrender). Plus Shanghai, Nanjing and possibly some little border extension on the north-east around Beijing. I feel that Japan needs to get at least these benefits and if it was able to occupy vast Chinese lands (to get the surrender) it should be able to cope with just southern outskirts (and I can give a couple of mountaineous provinces of Guangxi to puppet China).

Letting China-Nanjing reconquer Tibet, Xinjiang and Mongolia looks like a good idea - especially after a couple of months when the country organises its forces and is able to mount an offensive. I suppose Japan would support such a move to let Chinese regain in the West what they lost to them by the sea. And to push influence of combined Japanese sphere of influence even further.

As for the "weird" names - I played with them to create an optimal naming scheme for nations - these were actually the full names of those countries. But since they can be misleading and, above all, are usually too long to display, I'll be reverting most of these changes in 0.6.3.

I'll think about Operation Tannenbaum - on the first sight it doesn't clearly belong to the mod's "area of interest", even though it's interesting alternative history. But I'll write it to my wishlist in the event of British surrender and presumed total German domination in Europe - in this situation the Swiss should have large chance to fold to German demands.

And the last issue: the mod should work with Doomsday scenario, but there'll be a special, more historically-accurate 1945 peaceful scenario (peaceful at start, it may go hot in the following years). A small teaser below:
scenariosnwo.png

For now I edited out the wars, adjusted alliances, later I'll be thinking about tackling these things: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474448.
And I intend to publish a new version with the said scenario and necessary correction today, and over the weekend I'll be working on the next version, with events for countries beginning with letter C (so China in general is going to receive a lot of attention!)