• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6618)

Captain
Dec 1, 2001
This is currently a work in progress. I'll touch up the first few posts asap. Boehm, Gezeder, if you wish to post your own (with flags et al, or whatever), go ahead... I'll simply delete anything of mine that becomes redundants.

Here are the rules we are playing by. (also our other thread is found here:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46507&perpage=25&pagenumber=1 )

PBEM - From the Ashes of the Mediterranean

Scenario - Age of Exploration (1492)
V. 1.05
Turn Length - 5 years
Difficulty - Hard
Agression - Normal

The game is being played in an unbreakable Alliance format:

Europeans - Boehm, Natt och dag, Wyvern
vs
The Remnants of the British Empire (excluding UK herself) - Ludovico, Storey, Gezeder

Boehm chose the Spanish Alliance for his team. Each alliance chose what player would play what country of the alliance.

Alliance #1

A - Spain - Boehm
B - Austria - Natt och dag
C - Russia - Wyvern

Alliance #2

a - France - Gezeder
b - Sweden - Storey
c - Ottoman Empire - Ludovico the Wise, Ruler of all Civilized Peoples. ;)

Turn Order

AaBbCc
BaAbCc
AcCaBb
CbBcAa
BaCbAc

Repeat

Victory conditions/Goals

France and allies must break Hapsburg hegemony. Ottoman Empire should threaten Vienna and Russia and significantly unite the Moslem lands. Sweden should dominate the Baltic.

Spain should posses South and Central America and hold the Iberian peninsula, Austria should be a continental force, and Russia should conquer Poland and colonize Siberia.

A draw assumes these conditions are met on both sides. If an alliance succeeds in overfulfilling its countries expectations (or conversely, succeeds in not allowing the other alliance to fulfill its expectations), this alliance is victorious.

If it is hard to tell, call it a draw. But we should reasonably know which alliance is doing better (I think we all knew Boehm won the last game without checking the VP points).

Similarly, each country should be able to prove itself against the yardsticks I provided. I think they are generally what "should" happen, all things being equal.

And finally, we can ask the friendly peoples of the forums to judge our performances. Nicely of course. Screenshots will provided, hopefully at the end of each round. If professional judging is to take place, the urine samples and save games can be forwarded to the judge in question.

Last edited:
1492 - 1497 Spain (Boehm)

January `92 it’s a bitter cold and rainy morning…Columbus is stading by the harbourside cursing the stinking weather, loose women and stupid people in general “I bloody hate this world” he mumbles to him self….”I wish I could just go find myself a new one!”…and with those words he sailed off….a bitter lonely man…determined to take it out on some small brown people!

Elsewhere…in a random palace on the Iberian peninsula…”We must secure our hegemony over this cursed peninsula…see to it! – and with those words the queen of spain sent thousands of men their death…crushing the Portuguese and Navarre…

By august `92 the last of the standing portuguse army is destoyed in a large pitched battle where the outflanked portugese try to force their way across the river back to the province of Tago, however against the forces of Spain there can be NO success! …also we discover Bermuda and begin the construction of a forward navel base!

Having defeated the portugese field armies, el Grand Capitáin is now free to march against Navarre in a bid to secure their vast artillery works (Navarre has 40 guns)…and Naples enter our alliance.

Rats, the bloody Navarre troops beat our siege…Februry we attack France and England and Naples join us vs. France, Savoy, Britany and Papacy.

Finally in October 93 we make contact with the first heathens in the new world…FINALLY some heathen souls whose lifes we can better the gentle conversion to Christianity…a scheme is immediately agreed upon to appoint the most zealous young priests to a chance at soul saving in the new world….with whatever means necessary…as long as natives are saved from the impure influence of their golden idols.

Ahh December `93 a particular pious faction of the young zealous priests are soo sure of their holy mission to save the infidels of the new world that they have offered us a state gift of 200d as an advance on the tax donations from the sure to be thankful natives.

February Portugal grants Spain the province of Oporto, Azores and Cape Verde as well as a few TPs…at the same day Navarre is annexed.

In April `94 a major victory is won over the French as 25k men commanded by La Palice is killed in Roussillion.

Octover `94…nooooo…political crisis –3 stability! –2 to administrative skill

December, even though the political crisis about which means best utilized to strike the proper pious fear of our lord into the heats of the heathens has yet to be solved there is still a broad concensus that something must be done….and Spain generously accepts the Maya´s unspoken plead for help in showing them the path to the true faith.

Ahh `95 a hard and bloody year…upon reaching the Maya we immediately ordered an assault but our troops failed miserably…we have now settled in for a slow siege…in France thousands upon thousands die for our honor!

Finally in `September Yacutan falls…and is now ready to receive the word of God, October we attack the Aztecs…”a new conquesta!”

We finally has to accept the inevitable…we are just not strong enough to crush the natives yet….however we now have their maps and fierce young men are volunteering all over Spain to go to the new world and conquer in the name of God…we shall yet triumph

In June Brittany accept to grant us two provinces…and in august? France grant us 5 provinces…

To sum up: Spain didn’t succeed in hurting France as much this turn around as last turn…we failed to crush the native nations in central America…However we did get our conquistadors activated and get them to the new world with some armies so its not too bad…hopefully the ai will build up our possession in the new world so we can strike next turn….

Last edited:
France in Flames 1497-1502

cool_royal_flag.txt

In the cold of January, Charles VIII sat brooding in his chambers. France was faced with it's most dire situation since the end of the hundred years war. The united Spanish had finished conquoring the moslems to their south, and had turned their armies towards their fellow Christian Europe.

Fresh from thier great victory over Granada, Spanish troops poured over the border, sacking cities, and leading to the disastorous peace of 1496. Peasants ran rampant througout Paris, rebellions in the countryside were common, and Spain controlled nearly all the west coast of France.

Charles took up a pen in his hand, "Treaty be Damned! I will take back what is Rightfully ours!"

turn1.txt

Led by the brilliant Foix, and supported by the fierce men of France, our armies shattered the Aquebus armed Spainiards, driving them back from France. Though this victory was not complete, much territory has been regained.

Although Charles would no live to see the Spanish pushed from France, Louis XII sought to further this goal.

Settling for the far better peace of 1500 (For now), France turned it's eyes to the North - With new Kings come new Plans. Sacking Flandern and eventually all of the Netherlands, the Habsburgs eventually signed for Peace in January, 1502, ceding Flandern to King Louis.

"I will show all Europe the folly of challenging France!"

- Louis XII, Ruler of France, August 15th 1501

Gezeder

Last edited:
Austria - 1502-1507

One can wonder what our dear God in heaven(=ai) is doing?
As I once again saw what it had done to my poor Habsburg empire, I was shook. three thousand soldiers were all that were protecting Austria. And we were at war, with the Pope.
Oh well, I managed to get Romagna of him. Then I also got Köln, from Cologne. That is all.
I managed to build a sizeable army, but I left it at war with Modena, Tuscany, Mecklenburg and some other pathetic countries.

Sweden 1507-1512

Sweden is in a military alliance with France, Savoy, Scotland, Papal States and Eire.

Sweden, France, Scotland and Savoy are at war against England.

This is too good of an opportunity to pass up so I load my one leader, Hemming Gadh, aboard my fleet and sail to England. Want to guess where they unloaded? :eek: :p

I lay siege to Anglia and after many battles I capture it and get England’s maps. I take 75 ducats in a separate peace agreement and head my troops back to Sweden by the end of 1507. I have a peace treaty with Denmark until January 1510 so I attend to economic matters and wait.

Meanwhile Spain accepts peace when the Aztec Empire pays Spain 75 ducats. Way to go Spain. :p

By August 1508 England pays France 75 ducats for peace. France turns right around and declares war against Austria. Savoy, Papal States, Eire, Scotland and Sweden join France. Bohemia, Wurtemberg, Hungary, Bavaria and Kleves join Austria. Unfortunately I don’t see any way to help in this war.

October 1509 and I accept a Status Quo peace with Bavaria.

January 1510 and Sweden declares war against Denmark. Muscowy, Ryazan and Pskov join Denmark. I don’t ask my allies to join. They seem to have their hands full at the moment. :rolleyes:

I unload my troops and cover Jylland before marching on and besieging Sjælland. I also besiege Skane. Denmark besieges a couple of my provinces but I ignore them. They also try to break my sieges but fail.

Meanwhile the Teutonic Order declared war upon Pskov. Ryazan, Denmark and Muscowy joined Pskov. This should distract Muscowy for awhile. Then the same month Crimea declares war against Denmark. Astrakhan joins Crimea. Why Crimea did this beats me but it helps to distract Denmark’s allies who all join the war.

In March 1510 I accept a Status Quo peace with Austria. Pskov and Sweden also agree to peace.

In June Sweden reaches a Status Quo peace with Ryazan.

By October Austria showing signs of weakness agrees to pay Modena 18 ducats for peace. In the same month we capture the province of Sjælland from Denmark.

In November Sweden agrees to pay Muscowy 25 ducats to get out of our sight. Sweden captures Jylland in November.

It’s January 1511 and I’m running out of time and because Denmark has been getting the better of the sea battles I’m having trouble getting my main army back across the Sund to Sweden.

By March I’ve landed my main army back in Sweden and captured Skane. In the same month Spain declared war against the Maya. Well if you don’t succeed the first time try, try again.

In April 1511 Sweden accepted peace with Denmark on the following terms. Skåne to Sweden & Vestbygden to Sweden.

In July Austria pays Mecklenburg 200 ducats for peace.

In November France annexes Kleves.

So Sweden was able to capture one Baltic province and start in colonial empire. Not a huge start but I was fighting stability problems in the beginning. Next Muscowy (Russia).

Moscowy 1512 to 1517

Moscowy finds herself in a war against the Crimea and Asktrakhan, and has already captured Ufa from Crimea. Crimea owns many provinces and appears to have taken a fair chunk out of the Golden horde sometime in the past, her armies are already beaten though and we quickly cover all her provinces and move on to Astrakhan who is also in a war with the Golden Horde.

By 1513 we take Uralsk from Astrakhan, we would have taken more but Astrakhan owned the Golden Hordes capital so we aree unable to get a 100% war score. Still, leaving them with more than one province will stop the Ottomans taking the COT in a single bite.

The war against Crimea goes on for a few years but come May 1514 we finally gain a 100% victory and take Uka, Lugansk, Kalmuk, Azov, Kouban and Georgia. Just before this war ends, Georgia declares independence from Denmark in Sochi, so we pile on in there and storm the fortress before quickly annexing her and finally gain peace.

My tentative plans for a quick foray into Sweden are put on hold when a couple of months later Poland declares war along with her allies Lithuania and Bremen. Covering the eastern steppe provinces we gain quite a war score from vanquishing small 1 and 2k armies. Other countries though obviously think we're vulnerable and we get the Mamelukes and Ryazan declaring war before our stint is over, but none of them are in a position to threaten Russia.

Come October 1516 we have amassed a large enough war score and captured enough provinces from Lithuania that they offer us Kursk, Vorones, Smolensk and Bogutjar for peace which we gladly accept.

We leave Moscowy still at war with a number of countries and suffering from a few revolts in the old Muslim provinces of Crimea. Her northern colonies have been built up and fortresses improved along her border with Sweden.

Elsewhere, Austria lost badly to France and ceided Luxembourgh, Branant and Artois to France, and Franche-comte to Savoy. Not a good development.

Originally posted by Wyvern
Moscowy 1512 to 1517

Her northern colonies have been built up and fortresses improved along her border with Sweden.

What you don't trust me? :D

Joe

1517 - 1522

flag_ottomans.txt

In 1517, the Ottomans suffered from stability problems, 600 ducats worth of loans, a long war against Baluchistan, and a major fleet rotting off the West Coast of Africa. All these were slowly resolved throughout the five year period.

As soon as a diplomat was available, our armies were on our way to Hungarian lands to reclaim our rightful territories. Raiding parties were sent into Muscowy to aid the Muslim freedom fighters. And finally, Austria was told she would also have to submit to our rule. All three wars raged, until Austria agreed to cede Salzburg, Tirol, and Steirmark, Hungary agreed to cede Banat, Pest, Krain, Croatia, and Transylvania (which was released soon after), and Muscowy agreed to cede Sochi. Muscowy also agreed to recognize the Crimean control of a couple rebel provinces.

The Mamelukes soonafter felt the onslaught of our army, and Cairo, Alexandria, and Jerusalem are among the cities currently under Ottoman control. A peace deal is still being negotiated.

Last edited:
Austria 1522 - 1527

"Smite thee!" God says, and thus, Karl V gets smitten.
At the beginning of my turn, I own Ostmarch, Austria, Mantua, Köln, Zeeland, Holland, Gelre and Friesland. Whoop-di-do.

I accept a white peace with hessen. and then I declare war against the turks. Bohemia join me.

How did I fare? Well, let's just say that I am a Mantua poorer. Also, Bohemia now owns Tirol and Steirmark, aren't those my provinces? Meanwhile some Hungarian king dies and gives me Pest and Odenburg.

austria1527.jpg

France 1527-1532

cool_royal_flag.txt

The court of Francois I celebrated it's great victory over Spain today, pushing the Iberians out of France proper, and even gaining the new territories of Navara and Gerona as a buffer zone against further aggresion.

Having won Calais in an earlier war against the English, France was once again whole.

However, not all was well. Noted with special alarm was Spanish growth in the new world, and French troops were dispatched to the territories of the "Lenape" tribe of indians, bringing them into the loving arms of French civilisation.

1531 ends with quiet, but.... Perhaps not the quiet of peace?

"With France's borders secure, We are once again free to follow our own foerign policy, rather than it be dictated by others in Europe..."

- Francois I, Ruler of France, December 25th 1531

Gezeder

Last edited:
Spain 1532-1536

quick AAR will write more later:

Annexations:
Creek June `32
Cherokee Feb `33
Shawnee Jun `33
Inca Jun `34 (Cortez!!!)
Iroquis Sep ´34
Huron Mar `35
Aztecs Apr `35
Navaho `36

In Europe I DoWed the Knights (tuscany, Modena & Genoa) and got Romagna, Milan and Korsika.

Finally in Jun `33 I DoWed France calling my allies England, and SWEDEN!!! Hahahahaha :D ...anyway I dont think they fought at all...I could probably have gotten more in the war but I wanted to make sure to end it so in December `36 with a warscore of 57 I just demanded Manhatten for 30%...and they accepted (and ofcause I forgot to make it a seperate peace ohh bummer!) ....and the war in the amerikas also saw some more TP burning high and fine...just as I suspect the french did...I sure was missing a lot of TPs when my turn started! ;)

thats it folks Ill write a bit more blablablabla later

Gee Bohem you're slowing down. I would have expected you to have all of America by now. :D

Joe

Originally posted by Gezeder
Yikes! He does indeed -

And forcing us to fight....

Boehm, you are Pure Evil. :eek:

Gezeder

Muhahahaha :D - well I needed to consolidate a bit....besides I have another turn before France ;)