+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advantages to Totalitarianism?

Advantages to Totalitarianism?

In Ricky there was very little incentive I felt to letting Communists win and forming the equivilent of the Soviet Union as I was always plagued by massive uprisings of rebels *everywhere* this made no sense to me and broke immersion, didn't they have the Cheka or NKVD? Where's the all encompasing security operatus that keeps revolts from taking place?

I feel that if your a totalitarian government and your willing to foot the bill for your police state revolt risk should tumble like a rock to the low 1 digits.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

No, not really. Proletarian Dictatorship isn't suppose to reflect the stable Soviet Union but the coup de'tat brought about by Lenin's vanguard.

Reactionaries and Communist Parties have the option to remove voting rights as a democracy. This is what allows them to run a state like the Soviet Union, which technically had a parliament of sorts (Duma), and registered political parties (controlled opposition like farmer's organization) even though none of that truly mattered in the end.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

So what's the USSR's type of government in game terms? So yeah, at the very beginning we've got instability and rebels (who cannot see the true way of historical development of human society), but later we gain control and can quickly develop industry at the expense of nationalization of bourgeois property.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Its not in the game, i think the communist government, prol-dict is a generic cover all for all communist systems not just the USSR's which really isnt totalitarian until so far near the end of the game time its irrelevant.
    Nationality: New Zealander One of what we all are, your companion and your friend.
    Religion: Roman Catholic I believe in you my brothers and sisters.
    Ideology: Distributist (I'm bored, so for the time being,) POPULIST.
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship I have no convictions I stand for the People, I stand for You.
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

The stable USSR dictatorship would be reflected by Communist party in lower-house and conservatives in upper-house. That would reflect that all the reforms were done and the elites (voting rights are away) are content or too afraid to rock the boat.

It is so much more then just a political tool and that is why I fell in love with this concept right away
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

It's not irrelevant at all. The later game from 1890s onwards should for an industrial country be an uphill struggle against rising consciousness and militancy of the working classes. Presumably almost every country if going to go into this struggle as a conservative monarchy or a bourgeois democracy.

The game has Liberal-Progressive Democracy as a viable and stable system of government for those who wish to reform their nation to cope with the challenge from the working classes. (Full suffrage, social reforms, etc.) And it has the Reactionary Monarchy as a counter-model which you can try to play well into the 1900s and contain the working class by Secret Police, limited pro-bourgeois reforms and otherwise relying on the Cossacks.

But the whole struggle needs to have a form of government which poses the counter-model to these two: The full blown proletarian dictatorship. Not as a dysfunctional state of perpetual anarchy, but as a dictatorship with the Communist Party in full top-down control, implementing the sweeping revolution of the economic and social conditions which your hard left POPs wanted. It will not be a utopia but the player who wishes so should (if he's skilled enough) have the option to go the whole way and build a strong power, backed of his loyal commie POPs, and capable of thoroughly scaring the bourgeois nations in his world

You could mod it so that certain policy options for prol.dictatorships (such as Secret Police, Totalitarian policies, fusion of state and party organs etc) would only become available once some late game social techs have been researched. IIRC Vic:Revolutions had something like this, in the early 1900s reactionary and communist dictatorships would get inventions like "Secret Police" which would give them a one-time blanket -3 militancy effect, thus making it a lot easier to establish a lasting rule.

But still... if there is no counter-model to Democracy and the Reactionary Monarchy, then what is the point of the whole class struggle mechanism?

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Meier View Post
    In Ricky there was very little incentive I felt to letting Communists win and forming the equivilent of the Soviet Union as I was always plagued by massive uprisings of rebels *everywhere* this made no sense to me and broke immersion, didn't they have the Cheka or NKVD? Where's the all encompasing security operatus that keeps revolts from taking place?

I feel that if your a totalitarian government and your willing to foot the bill for your police state revolt risk should tumble like a rock to the low 1 digits.
    Well the game should let allow you to eventually establish a stable, functioning dictatorship, but before you get there, you would suffer years of revolt as your officers, capitalists and clerks throw one revolt after another. The Cheka and NKVD were born out of the life-or-death struggle of the Civil War, and the USSR only really became a stable country because everyone who dissented had been killed or purged in the early 1920s.

You should not be able to become a prol.dict. on January 1 and have a working secret police up and running by January 3rd... more like this:

1) bolshevik revolution, government overthrown, new regime assumes dictatorial powers

2) attempts at counter-revolution begin (aristocrat and capitalist POPs, also reactionary and radical liberal POPs rise in revolt)

3) bolsheviks establish workers militias (-2 MIL for craftsmen and workers), struggle with counter-revolutionary forces, defeat them militarily

4) bolsheviks implement radical economic policies

5) Civil war erupts in the cities: Basically every liberal POP and every craftsmen, clerk and artisan who is not Communist rises in revolt

6) Bolsheviks establish Secret Police (-3 MIL for large groups of POPs), Bolsheviks mobilize the rural masses (farmers with less than 50% satisfaction of everyday demands become communists)

7) Bolsheviks implement implement radical social reforms (all POP savings are wiped out, aristocrats are forcibly demoted to farmers etc)

8) Everyone who is not Bolshevik and hasn't rebelled already, rises in revolt at this point, also foreign intervention may happen at this point

9) Civil war is fought out

10) Bolsheviks implement full blown totalitarian policies, shut down connections with all foreign non-communist nations, events give -MIL to most POPs eventually, revolts end eventually

11) Communist party rules absolutely, totalitarian control has been established. Peace has been won. Onwards to fulfill the goals of the five-year plan!

I think it's quite realistic considering it's what actually happened
    I mean, they didn't call it the Russian Civil War for nothing...The Soviet Union was hard won.

Minister of Peace for Europe Moderator Grosshaus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Communard View Post
    I think it's quite realistic considering it's what actually happened
    I mean, they didn't call it the Russian Civil War for nothing...The Soviet Union was hard won.
    Exactly. From the point of revolution until more or less end of Victoria time-period there were constant revolts and uprisings in Soviet-Russia/Soviet Union. Bolsheviks didn't stop revolts from occurring, they just fought against them quick and hard with a massive army.
    Pity comes for free, but jealousy must be earned - Lauri Tähkä

Hearts of Iron II beta AAR Guardian of Democracy

What´s about the totalitarian systems like "normal" dictatorship, nazi and fascist regimes there were a lot of totalitarian systems that worked quite well in terms of "silence the people" . What are the benefits of such regimes in-game
    Quite affordable games-store
    Thread for expanded modding capabilities regarding EU IV -Opening technology-only modifers for all modifier-types

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I agree with Leviathan07, except for the seeming tendency to imply that something like 75%-90% of the population would need to be liquidated for it to be successful
    Revanche, A French AAR of The Great War (1914-1919) (Finished, Weekly AAR Showcase, 9th Jan '06)

President Petrov Basil Ivanovich of Kraszakistan (KLD)

What if Germany had won the Great War? Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Clergymen in Victoria II will limit consciousness and the developers mention they are staying in.

In Victoria that was the best way of creating a Communist state was to reduce consciousness enough and get the POPs issues to match yours and doing so meant everyone (except for 5%) became a Communist.

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by MTJ View Post
    Clergymen in Victoria II will limit consciousness and the developers mention they are staying in.
    Not in Atheistic state though.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well, you should remember that it wasn't just a rebellion of aristocrats and capitalists VS communist party (big type) which suddenly came to power. There was civil war with several sides and chaotic warfare, quake deathmatch-style. And remember there was foreign help for some sides. And at the beginning there was a WWI to fight. And many problems of implementing new society rules (war communism, dunno if there's special term in English) and developing new system of control. I can't imagine how could it be illustrated realistically in game.

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave View Post
    Not in Atheistic state though.
    Even in atheist state. They compose from more then just pastors and such. It led to a big debate about changing name. Luckily they didn't buckled and it stayed
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by telesien View Post
    Even in atheist state. They compose from more then just pastors and such. It led to a big debate about changing name. Luckily they didn't buckled and it stayed
    Well, King isn't perfectly clear here, but I assume that no:

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Now, in Victoria Clergy had this role of reducing CON, by keeping the superstitious masses backward by peddling yet more superstition. We have decided to keep that but the Clergy’s role evolves a bit according to your government religious policy. If you are an atheist state, essentially the Clergy fulfil the role of the modern schoolteacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Citizenship policy affects the vote weight of POPs not of your primary culture while religious policy influences how effective the Clergy are at keeping the ignorant and superstitious, ignorant and superstitious.

500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave View Post
    Well, King isn't perfectly clear here, but I assume that no:
    OK, another thing I wasn't able to remember. Maybe my gf is right and I'm really getting old...

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

Quote Originally Posted by telesien View Post
    The stable USSR dictatorship would be reflected by Communist party in lower-house and conservatives in upper-house. That would reflect that all the reforms were done and the elites (voting rights are away) are content or too afraid to rock the boat.

It is so much more then just a political tool and that is why I fell in love with this concept right away
    That isn't what a conservative upper house should mean in V2. It might have been conservative in the most literal sense but that's it.

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Uhtred View Post
    That isn't what a conservative upper house should mean in V2. It might have been conservative in the most literal sense but that's it.
    Conservative in V2 means content with current status quo, no matter what this status is. That is what I ment. When proletarian dictatorship settles and elites are happy to keep it that way, I would call it stable. Also that is how I would describe real SU in late 1960- early 1980. No more revolution or ideology, just stable dictatorship.

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsHoi 2 Beta500k club

I appreciate dev diaries have talked about conservatives as being 'content with the status quo', but assumed that it meant a nice steady refinement of the established social order along sound Burkean lines - not whatever status quo the citizens of a radical dictatorship find themselves in. It would make no sense at all to have Russian moderates shoring up the Commies in office or ex-CEDA sympathisers forming the backbone of a Spanish Communist dictatorship. Conservatism is an ideology in its own right.

The Shadow of Man 406 - 1095 - Rules

Contribute to 'Concert of Europe', an 1815 mod for Victoria 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast