• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2009
Hello
I'm just wondering wether Victoria 2 will be avaible in retail stores in Belgium because previously I always had problems finding those great Paradox games!I went for example, through alot of effort to get my hands on Victora: An Empire Under The Sun and Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron II, and so on ...

Thanks in advance,

contact the distributor that sells the games to the businesses in youre region
or maybe ask a local computer games shop

Paradox has no way of knowing this, and pretty much no power over it.
If the people who sell the games to the people you buy it from decied to buy it then yes
otherwise then no

if Hearts of Iron III isnt on shelves where you are, then probably this one wont be either. as a guess.
but really the people to answer you arent on this site

Else try digital distribution or play.com or game.co.uk

Or you could just buy it digitally from a site like Gamersgate.

Hello
I'm just wondering wether Victoria 2 will be avaible in retail stores in Belgium because previously I always had problems finding those great Paradox games!I went for example, through alot of effort to get my hands on Victora: An Empire Under The Sun and Europa Universalis II, Hearts of Iron II, and so on ...

Thanks in advance,

Doesn't Gamersgate sell to the EU? I think they are based in France.

I would buy it from them if you cannot find it in a local store.

Apparently he likes his games in a box (for some reason), which can be somewhat understandable. However, play.com and such are not digital distributors, they sell boxed versions of games, but the transaction is online.

But personally, all this to me is effort. I prefer not even having to get out of my chair! And given all the games I play, using discs and such would be a nightmare.

I only keep those for the classics. When I need to feel nostalgic.

Edit: Which sort of reminds me; why can't I pre-order on GamersGate? Hmph!

Do you want them to reserve a digital copy on their server for you? :confused:

I want to spend my money now! Meh, I guess I will have to wait. I just 'securing' sales.

Doesn't Gamersgate sell to the EU? I think they are based in France.

Gamersgate is Swedish, they branched of from Paradox Interactive a few years ago. But they have the same owners and I guess they have offices close by.

You are thinking of AGEOD studios which was bought by PI last year I think it was or was it this year? AGEOD studios is based in Meylan France although it is called Paradox France SARL now if I have understood the homepage right.

Hello

Thanks in advance,

There should be a french language localization, there usually is, so I guess you should be able to get it in France at least if you want a French version. Dutch I doubt they will localize in, too small, and fairly many of the younger generations speak good enough English are my experience.

There got to be someone online selling boxed copies of the English version, I know there are some Swedish sites doing that but I doubt they ship it outside Sweden. PM me if you want me to look into it.

Yes, but under that would fall under "alot of effort" in my opinion
I'm a pretty conservative player who likes to buy his game in a box ;)

Ordering online takes less effort then finding a local shop...

Yes, but under that would fall under "alot of effort" in my opinion
I'm a pretty conservative player who likes to buy his game in a box ;)
Clicking the mouse a couple times is more effort than getting in your car, using a lot of expensive gasoline to drive to the nearest store, buying the game, driving back, opening the box, and putting the DVD in the drive? ;)

Getting in the car, paying for gasoline and drive to nearest store is more rewarding if they have the game, you can directly play! While if you order a box online you have to wait for the mail..

Getting in the car, paying for gasoline and drive to nearest store is more rewarding if they have the game, you can directly play! While if you order a box online you have to wait for the mail..
But if you order it online as a digital download, you can play it right away anyway as soon as it downloads.

But if you order it online as a digital download, you can play it right away anyway as soon as it downloads.

Yeah, until your computer crashes and you lose the game along with the money you've paid for the download. So I'm with Rosas on this (boter bij de vis. Don't you agree, Rosas?). You guys must think of us as primitive barbarians with a strange desire to remain in the Stone Age, but with a physical copy of the game you actually buy something with your money. That doesn't mean nothing can happen with it. You can drop the disc or damage it in other ways, but at least it will be your own awkwardness that does it. On the other hand, your computer may experience problems that may render you unable to save or salvage the precious files. A somewhat convincing counter-argument may be that you can still store the files on USB or burn it onto a CD, but that would fall under the 'effort' Rosas described. You might as well go to a store and buy a prepared disc.

Mind you, I do understand why digital distribution has emerged. Gaming companies want to cut out the middlemen and cut the costs/increase profit margins. But that doesn't mean it necessarily serves the customers best. It's not that I don't trust Paradox or Gamersgate, but I still like to know that I haven't been forced into buying something that doesn't exist or is malfunctioning (is there a return policy, for corrupted files, with digital distribution?). Paradox may be trustworthy, but not everbody is. Look at Steam. On the surface there is nothing wrong with it, but if one looks at Steam's tactics one can easily see that they are positioning themselves to be the new middlemen in the gaming industry (i.e. you can't play their games without their software, we Dutch speakers would call that gedwongen winkelnering). In short, to me digital distribution is just another sign of the downside of globalisation in which a few dominant players (i.e. Steam) try to knock out the 'laggard' competition who have to 'go with the flow' or die in 'backwardness'. I hope I don't indicate any distrust in Paradox here, because I consider them to be people that will have to adapt or perish at their own risk.

I (and Rosas too, I think) resist this trend and even though I will probably be forced to go along as well, I still think the old-fashioned what you see is what you get way of doing business is still the most rewarding for anyone involved. You are of course free to disagree, de gustibus non est disputandum.

you can redownload it from GG as often as you like and burn the instalation files to a disk...

Yeah, until your computer crashes and you lose the game along with the money you've paid for the download.

You do know that you can then re-download the game again.

While if f.e. your CD gets cratched or you lose it you will not get a new disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.