• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1500 - 1510 : time to invest

Welcome back students.

One thing I know is that most of you choose to study the United Kingdoms during the renaissance because of the great interest you have in the colonial process... However, today we will mostly focus on Europe.

I) European policies

1) The state of the United Kingdoms in 1502

After the war for Malacca (we will see it in second part), the United Kingdoms seemed on the path to be the strongest European power. However, the huge periods of war from the last century, added to the very fast (and then very costly) expansion to create ports all around the world put the UKs in a very difficult situation at the begining of the XVIth century.

a) reputation

The UKs had a very bad reputation and were low on friends in the 1500s (with the exceptions of Byzantium and the Pope). The UKs were considered as warmongers without any problem making war for their own good. actually, there were even European States considering the "United Kingdoms" were not a reality, and the UKs were simply a construction built on the annexion of France by England (this opinion will stay strong for long years in Europe)

This was a real priority to work on by King Stephen.

b) Economic problems

The high spending for the King to fund the unification of France and exploration cost a lot to the UKs. It also created a very high inflation for years. Since the early 1440, all the kings tried to fight inflation, with often two members of their governments dedicated to inflation. In 1501, the entire Government of Stephen II was dedicated to fight it ! And they were partially helped by the National Bank. And inflation was still around 10% in 1502.

In 1503, a minister proposed a radical reform to kill inflation. Under the King's impulsion, the reform was accepted by three parliaments (The Irish parliament refused to enact it as they were the only Kingdom beneficiating from this inflation). The reform indeed made the inflation to drop by two points. However, it created a new problem when the Kingdoms' stability dropped and riots began all around the Kingdom

c) Instability

During the expansions out of Europe, political crisis happened regularly. The Kingdoms were not stable as even in England and France some people were still refusing the new political construction created by the Lancasters.

It resulted in 1503 in a very dangerous situation. In 1503, the Royal government and the parliaments were all dedicated only to two goals : to keep fighting inflation and stabilizing the Kingdoms.

d) Backwardness

The inflation problem brought for years a huge problem to the Kingdoms. it was very hard to fund lots of things as efficiently as in other European countries. The consequence was that the technological level of the UKs was very weak compared to other countries.

For example, the heart of the UKs' armies were still medieval cavalry and archers (longbows) while European powers were begining to use massively black powder [In terms of gameplay, the UKs are at 8 naval and 8 land techs while the other European countries are usually at 11/11]

All those problems became the king's new priorities in 1502.

2) The death of Stephen II

In September 1506, the King Stephen II Lancaster died. His son was too much young, and as a result a Regency council took the power.

Unlike the last English regency council (1414 - 1426), the nobles of one Kingdom could not take in charge the King's duties, as this would mean a clear civil war between the Kingdoms. In the same time, the political system of 1458 did not gave any information on how the UKs would work without a king, even temporarily.

The four Parliaments gathered in Edinburgh, a place where it would be easier to have the French and English parliament not fighting against each other to get the power.

The four parliaments in Congress agreed that until the heir would be old enough, they would hold the executive power in their own kingdoms. Colonial matters would be entirely in the hands of nominated generals, themselves under the supervision of the Parliaments (the American colonies would then be under the orders of the irish and English Parliaments while the African and Asian ports would be under the orders of the Scottish and French Parliaments).

3) 1506 - 1510

In the last four years of this decade after the King's death, things began to be a little better. Stability was back, and inflation did lower significantly (at 7,3% in december 1510). However, there were still a lot of work to do for the parliaments if they wanted the United Kingdoms to be in a much more better shape when the next king would come.

II) Colonial policies

1) En route to Malacca

When his new army arrived in Ceylon, the cautious General Albert Clive, commander in chief of the UKs armies in the Indian Ocean, decided that his positions were not strong enough to start a war in the far east. He needed a tougher stronghold before sending his fleets and armies. He needed to finish to unit Ceylon under the UKs rule.

In March 1500, he sent the word to the government of Southern Ceylon in Korales that they were at war for religious reasons, as he could not let a non-christian territory threatening his most advanced base in the Indian Ocean.

The ironical decision was that the ruler of Malacca then decided to declare war on the UKs to defend Ceylon's Buddhist province.

Albert Clive was right : he needs stronger position to fight this war. He also sent word to the King asking for more troops to fight it. They'll be here in 12 to 15 month !

In November, Corales fell. The road was now open to send troops into Malaysia peninsula !

2) The war for Malacca

In June 1501, Albert Clive had his now three armies ready to land in the Malaysia peninsula. The first move were quick and efficient while the northern army took his stand to be prepared for a counter-attack from the north.

With 41 UKs unitsin the peninsula, Ayutthayan troops (13 units strong) were unable to move south to strike back !

In January 1502, even if war was going great for the UKs, the troops could not do otherwise than to worry when their commander Albert Clive died from Malaria. This sickness was common in Europe, but much more easier to get in those regions. We estimate today that roughly 1200 UKs soldiers died from malaria during this war (on 42,000 soldiers sent !)

At last, in March 1502, Ayutthaya surrendered and the UKs had conquered Malacca.

The peace treaty of March 1502

3) Death of Daniel Braddock

In June 1503, Daniel Braddock, the explorer who discovered the entire African coasts and the entire Indian Ocean, died. This was a very important event for the UKs, and especially in England were he was born.

The four parliaments hold a silent minute for Mr Braddock.

The colonial powers in December 1510

1511 - 1515 : North America is Edward VI's goal

Welcome back students.

As you already know I must leave soon today to make a conference in Dublin about the Irish parliament during the Renaissance. As such, today's class will be short but those events are still very important.

I) European politics

1) Edward VI lancaster

In October 1511, Edward was old enough to become king. At least the UK parliamentary system was back to normal, before any of the kingdoms tried to take the power on the three others. [Just a hint ^^ i'm keeping this door open on the "parliamentary system which is not a constution and then brings problems" since the last update of this morning, as I want to be free to do things if... (IF !!! that a HUGE IF ! Not promise !) if and IF (if you did not get it : IF) I continue this AAR in Vicky II after I finished this second part... By the way.. IF !!! By the way² the word "if" begins to feel odd after writing it so much :rofl:]

Edward VI Lancaster

II) Colonial policies

1) The pacification and the conquest of the Shawnees tribes

Edward VI wished for years to be considered as a colonial king. Entirely aware that the political system in the UKs forbid him to have real powers in Europe, he needed to accomplish his will of glory in other continents.

North america was his most important choice. During his childhood, the UKs began to see colonies in America as real colonies, while the colonies in Africa and Asia were mostly trade ports to them. And Edward has been raised in those idea. That is why he decided, when he had the power to, to send his armies in America against the native Shawnees tribes.

In december 1512, 16 units landed in the Uks colonies in America to reinforce the 12 units already there. In January, following the King's orders, the UKs troops in North America moved towards the Shawnee tribes territories.

The war was quick, as the natives add no chance at fighting 28 (almost) modern European units with their 6000 natives.

The state of the war in July 1513

The annexion of the Shawnee tribes in July 1513

That's all for today. I must leave now. I'm not exactly sure when but You will be able to see my conference on YouTube. If you wish to succeed at your semester, I can't give you a better advice than also study the different parliaments.

france and ireland win against england and scotland? BLASPHEMY! goddmait i love that word:rofl: btw nice updates and why dont you create colonies in like manhattan and quebec and north cannada :confused: looking forward to the next update :p

france and ireland win against england and scotland? BLASPHEMY! goddmait i love that word:rofl: btw nice updates and why dont you create colonies in like manhattan and quebec and north cannada :confused: looking forward to the next update :p

I'm too far away for now. I have to wait until 1532 before I can create colonies in North America. The only territories I can reach for now are in Groenland, and I'm not interested by those ;)

*Puts on fake mustache*

I say Catholic.

*Takes of fake mustache*

Oh wow, who was that guy? I've never seen him before. He was quite handsome if I do say so. Well, he said Catholic before he disappeared. Guess we better tally up his vote.
:rofl:

Anyway, very nice. Are you shooting for all of North America? It's a long, long process. That I can say with certainty.

1516 - 1525 : the Union in troubles

[First of all sorry guys this update will have holes in it. As you might have noticed it, I play when I write. I usually save regularly my work when I write but this time I simply forgot to do it... And it's always when we don't save that things goes wrong... Yes my computer crashed while I was writing and I lost a lot of things...

I won't redo everything from the last save and I decided to restart in january 1523 (last autosave) for a simple reason. Yoy might have noticed I right lots of lines and do a real work on each update... each update takes me between 90 minutes and two hours each (yes really ! I'm in summer break after all :) )

So for this update, as I had wrote about 8 years (!) before the crash, you will miss lots of informations. I PROMISE because you guys are really nice with your comments ;) I will rewrite it later but I spent a lot of time on this update today and I don't have a lot of patience left. So for now please accept this update with basical informations. I will rewrite lots of things later I promise !

The notes in RED are for me, to know that I have to rewrite it]

I) European policies

1) Edward VI death

Edward VI died in 1518. There is a strange rumor of a curse behind it... More about that when I have rewritten it !!!

TO REWRITE

2) The start of the religious tensions

Yes they are here in november 1516 IIRC in the UKs (Champagne was the first province).

TO REWRITE

In april 1524, Religious tensions too much tough.

The parliaments are the only legitimate power ! The streets are not legitimate... Then the parliaments decided to crush the Protestants, not because of their religion (not entirely) but mostly because they were out.

The expansion or protestantism in 1525

II) Colonial policies

1) The war with Madurai

(I lost what I wrote on this. I lost lots of details I'll just write the main lines)

The war started in January 1519, when an old document signed by the King Stephen II linked the UKs with Deccan. It resulted a war that lasted a whole year

The peace treaty with Madurai in 1520
TO REWRITE

2) Economical expansion

From 1515 to 1525, the American colonies lived a strong an steady growth. Catholic priests wer estrong there, while entrepreneurs built lots of things.

In December 1525, American colonies are wealthy ! They are full of churches, manufactures, and their trade is very important for the UKs colonial trades. They exports lots of cotton and tobacco. They are clearly the wealthier colonies of the entire UKs colonies.

The colonial powers in December 1525

I also vote Catholic, if it still determines anything.

Counted

I vote protestant! Death to the Papal scum! :mad:

Counted

I vote protestant.

Counted

This brings us to a perfect TIE ! 10 vs 10 ! I was clearly not expecting that ! this time you guys are not helpfull :)

So I will decide (I must ! This is too much anarchic !) how this will go BUT I will still have some suspense for you guys :)

You will now see the parliament in actions. I will use them as they have to be used : there are 4 parliaments, they all have the same power toward the king. each parliament have one voice.

In 1530, I will "force" the parliaments to take a decision for the whole United Kingdoms. I will use the current political structure. Each protestant or reformed province will bring 4 votes to the protestant side, and each catholic province will bring 4 votes to the catholic side.

If it still ends in a tie (2 kingdoms vs 2 kingdoms) the side which will have more provinces in the whole Union supporting its religion will win.

Only 5 years to play, that means it's for the next update !

Sorry guys but now votes are closed... I put a rule I can't change it now one side will find it unfair ! Even if I wished it would permit to give you the decision !

RELIGION VOTES ARE CLOSED

*Puts on fake mustache*

I say Catholic.

*Takes of fake mustache*

Oh wow, who was that guy? I've never seen him before. He was quite handsome if I do say so. Well, he said Catholic before he disappeared. Guess we better tally up his vote.
:rofl:

Anyway, very nice. Are you shooting for all of North America? It's a long, long process. That I can say with certainty.

For now i'm heading towards mostly southern states to be able to secure ASAP a port on the western coast. In the same time I will try to have the 13 colonies. This will alone take lot of time :)

you sure could use the protestant modifiers but if many countries stay catholic you will be banned from european politics. or if you stay catholic and meny go protestant/reformed same thign will happen :eek:

I truly do not care about that :D If Europe is not happy with what I do then let's take action and fight ! Otherwise leave us alone :D

1526 - 1530 : Religious wars

Welcome once again.

Today, we will focus on the religion crisis from 1526 to 1530. Those five years have been the most bleedy years of the entire XVIth century ifor religious reasons in the UKs.

1) The crisis

In the four Kingdoms, in five years, 24 revolts happened for religious purposes. The amount of deaths because of religious fights were enormous. And a bigger problem was rising : the kingdoms were more and more divided because of the religious question.

2) Measures taken

To appease everyone, the kingdoms of Ireland and France invested a huge amount of money to create a real court system, to be assured that every problems caused by religious tensions would be dealt with more easily by efficient courts.

Of course, the parliaments also raised lots of money to raise armies to be able to keep peace in the Kingdoms. This also meant that until a new King would arrive, for the first time since 1458, the four Kingdoms have under their rule massive armies ! There were a real fear of a war between them.

3) Congress vote of 1530

Final vote of the Congress :

- France : Catholic
- England : Catholic
- Ireland : Protestant
- Scotland : Protestant

With a perfectly split Congress, the United Kingdoms were officially unable to settle the situation, while tensions were strogner than ever between the kingdoms.

The parliamentary system clearly says that when the Congress or a parliaments are unable to take a decision that important, the king becomes the decider.

More than ever, when Ireland and Scotland began to talk about revolting to fight for their independance to have their own faith respected, the King was needed to bring back the entire country.

A religious map of Europe in 1530

Notice that the huge Netherlands, Austria, Brandenburg a lots of smaller
HRE members already choose to embrace Protestantism !

I vote Protestant.