• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1479 - 1485 : The UKs set foot in Africa and America

Welcome back students.

Today, we will start working on this new chapter names "the Great Discoveries". Actually, lots of historians use that name when some of us do not agree with it. After all, this period indeed saw the Great Discoveries happening around the world, but lots also happened in Europe. In my opinion, this period has been named like that mostly because of a lack of better ideas.

1) Events in America and Africa

a) First colonial foundations in Georgia and Florida

When he heard the news that Guy Benbow had discovered a new continent on the west, Charles I immediatly understood what it meant. During the last 40 years, Iberian take over of the northern African coasts brought them new products, wealth, and businesses. The impact for them were tremendous !

Charles immediatly made the three Parliaments of Ireland, England and France voting a new budget to funds expeditions in Africa and this new American land.

In August 1480, a huge expedition of men, settlers, traders and missionaries landed in which would become the colonial State of Georgia. The records are really obscure on what happened there. It seems different conflicts erupted between the natives and the settlers. Also, when the settlers made contact with those natives, the natives sometimes began to fall sick, being for the first time in contact with European sicknesses. The local tribes seems to have considered the Europeans tried to poison them.

The conclusion to this first contact was that in less than a month after the first arrival of those settlers, a war started between the huge Creek tribes and their allies and other subdued tribes, against the early United Kingdoms settlers and troops.

In January 1481, those tribes began to understand they had no chance to win against those new people coming from the Ocean. To protect their lands, they agreed to give the UKs settlers lands on the coasts. Without really realizing it yet, the United Kingdoms just won its first colonial war !

The first colonies in Georgia and Florida

b) First colonial annexions in Africa

In Africa, as Daniel Braddock was discovering the western and southern coast of the continent, the English Parliament began to be interested by some apparently very rich far away territories. In January 1482, they asked the King to send troops in the newly discovered territories of Kongo, full of Ivory as it seemed.

In March 1482, 11 English units landed in Kongo. In September 1482, Horatio Hudson, the English Conquistador sent in Kongo, signed peace with the King Makanga in exchange for the new UKs port of Loango. Never in History a European country established a long term port so far away on the African coast !

The English trade port of Loango

2) European events

Of course, during those far awar events, European politics did not stopped ! That is why I, as a teacher, have difficulties calling this period the "great Discoveries". Anyway, in France, tensions were still present since the French Kingdom was still asking for its legitimate territories. The next crisis arrived in November 1479 when Avignon and the French Parliament claimed the same territories. This crisis ended with the war for Auvergne and Languedoc started in March 1481.

The UKs - Avignonese border war of 1481

In december 1481, the war was won, and Avignon's allies asked for a white peace.​

In January 1484, Lorraine's rule was also excommunicated. This was the perfect opportunity for Charles I to give to the French Kingdom once more one of its rightful territories. In January 1485, Lorraine was incorporated into France, and its former allies (Avignon and Bohemia) conceded defeat.

3) conclusion

European colonial powers in december 1485

Notable facts on this period :

December 4th, 1481 : Guy Benbow, the great explorer died
January 14th, 1482 : Daniel Braddock discover South America
June 1483 : John Howard discover Massachussetts
September 1483 : Daniel Braddock discover the Cap of Good Hope and South Africa
December 1483 : John Howard discover the Mayan empire
August 1484 : Daniel Braddock discover the coasts of Madagascar
December 1485 : The "Cap vert" colony reached 1000 settlers !

No English AAR would be complete without colonies! :D

No English AAR would be complete without colonies! :D

Be sure that I'll have lots of them ;)

well he began colonising a palce where britain never sat their foot on before 1650 :rofl:

And I intend to continue to do better than history ;) I'm trying to do something really "strange" that you guys will probably like ;)

Colonization is always fun. Looks like you may have some rivals in Africa and NA eventually. I'm sure that will give you a few good wars to fight.

Oh yeah ! I always find colonial wars funniers than European ones as there is the difficulty of controlling the seas and sending troops.

Addendum III

Let's debate : which path the United Kingdoms should take on the question of religion ?

The UKs are a construction that brings difficulties to me. How to decide which religion will rule in the UKs, as historically England war "Protestant", Ireland and France were Catholics...

So there is three possibilities :

1) To fight for Protestantism everywhere in the UKs => 10 votes
2) To fight for Catholicism everywhere in the UKs => 10 votes
3) To have a tolerant path, with freedom of religion and tolerance of all religions in the UKs (which means it'll be harder to convert conquered colonies...) => 0 vote

I'll keep adding votes when you guys vote until the moment protestantism appears in the United Kingdoms

Which way do you guys think would be better ?

UPDATE July 3rd 2010 :

This brings us to a perfect TIE ! 10 vs 10 ! I was clearly not expecting that ! this time you guys are not helpfull :)

So I will decide (I must ! This is too much anarchic !) how this will go BUT I will still have some suspense for you guys :)

You will now see the parliament in actions. I will use them as they have to be used : there are 4 parliaments, they all have the same power toward the king. each parliament have one voice.

In 1530, I will "force" the parliaments to take a decision for the whole United Kingdoms. I will use the current political structure. Each protestant or reformed province will bring 4 votes to the protestant side, and each catholic province will bring 4 votes to the catholic side.

If it still ends in a tie (2 kingdoms vs 2 kingdoms) the side which will have more provinces in the whole Union supporting its religion will win.

Only 5 years to play, that means it's for the next update !

Sorry guys but now votes are closed... I put a rule I can't change it now one side will find it unfair !

RELIGION VOTES ARE CLOSED

Last edited:
Great AAR so far, I'm enjoying this idea of a Anglo-French Kingdom. I pick option one as well, though really whatever will be easier for you to accomplish would be good too. Colonies can be a pain to convert so definitely not 3 haha :p

1486 - 1492 : India !

Welcome back students.

Today, we will focus on the very important years for the United kingdoms from 1486 to 1492. Those years have been truly important, in France, in the British islands and everywhere in the colonies.

1) European political events

a) Charles I died

In May 1486, Charles I died after a 13 years rule. His son, Edward V, succeded him.

Edward V rose to the thrown of the United Kingdoms on May 30th, 1486

However, at the very begining of his rule, nobles began to worry as he fell sick in July 1486 !

b) The second Aragonese war for excummunication

Charles Ist always said to his son "do not trust an excommunicated ruler ; always fight them !"

So he did. In February 1488, the still ill Edward V told his generals to launch an attack on Aragon to punish his king. This move came from one fact : Edward was afraid to die without having done his religious duty in europe as all his last predecessors did (Henry VI with the last European crusade, Edward IV and Charles I against excommunicated rulers). He was especially afraid to die like Henry IV or Henry V who both died a few years after they received the crown of England. The war would see once again Aragon and Portugal against the United Kingdoms.

Keep in my one very important fact about this war. Historians debated for years which battle has been the most decisive dunring this war. Despite the fact that most of the fights took place on land and that the victory in Aragon was the most important goal for the UKs' Generals, it is now considered that the naval battle that took place in June 1488 on the coast of Barcelona was the most important. The reason is simple : the two fleets of Aragon and Portugal were able together to defeat the Royal Navy. And also, half of the aragonese armies were dispatched all around the western Mediterranean Sea. After this battle, Aragon had nothing left to protect its transports full of troops.

June 1488, the last Aragonese Carrack is going down...

After this important battle, Aragon was not able to keep fighting. With only two territories controlled by the UKs armies, they accepted an harsh peace treaty.

The United Kingdoms - Aragonese peace treaty of August 1488

The war with Portugal lasted until August 1489.

Portugal in 1489

The Portuguses - United Kingdoms peace treaty of August 1489

c) The integration of Scotland

In July 1490, after years of really close ties between Scotland and the Uknited Kingdoms, Edward asked to the Scottish Parliament if they wished to be an integral part of the United Kingdoms instead of being vassals. Without a real surprise, the Scottish Parliament accepted this offer ! In July 1490, the United Kingdoms were now founded on the Kingdoms of France, England, Ireland and Scotland !

Scotland becomes a full member of the United Kingdoms

2) Colonisations

a) American moves

In October 1486, the sick Kingsent the order to UKs troops in America. It was time to move forward in the continent, to strengthen the first territories. The creek tribes lasted until February 1487, then accepted a peace treaty with the UKs in which they recognized the fact that they had legitimate prentions on territories in UKs hands.

b) African moves

In June 1486, the young Edward accomplished his father's wish to open a new UKs port on the eastern coast of Africa by starting a colonial war on the southern African kingdom of Mutapa.

Because of the fact that it was the first time Englishmen fought in Jungle, they had hard time exploring the region. They were able to sign a first peace treaty in June 1487, giving the first European ports on eastern African coast !

The port of Sofala quickly became the most important European port in Africa until the foundation of the colony of South Africa.

c) The discovery of India !

The great scheme of Charles I and Edward V was about to know its ending in 1489. In december of this year, Daniel Braddock arrived with his fleet of four English vessels on the coast of India !

And in June 1492, the army led by General Albert Clive won a quick war in the island of Ceylon. In 1492, the United Kingdoms founded the first European port in India !

Colombo becomes the first European controlled port in India in 1492

The colonial powers in december 1492

English soldiers in India in 1492. :rofl:

1 !!!!!11!!!111!

Great AAR so far, I'm enjoying this idea of a Anglo-French Kingdom. I pick option one as well, though really whatever will be easier for you to accomplish would be good too. Colonies can be a pain to convert so definitely not 3 haha :p

I'm waiting for more vote of course ;) but thanks for your participation guys !

I totally agree with you demokratickid, but some might think it'll be worth it to have such a challenge to make me suffer !!! :(

English soldiers in India in 1492. :rofl:

Isn't it cool ? :) that was quite a rush !

Keep voting please !

Last edited:
I am a sucker for Alternate histories, so I say stay Catholic. Not to mention all of your kings up to this point would be rolling over in their graves if you even considered converting.