• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
you seem pretty......fucked? nah you'll make it as allways, or is this the first time? what ever, you mispelled 1463 to 1863 in one post XD

no more mispell :)

Fucked ? not really... I won't try to conquer territories, I have to lower my infamy. But with the peace in the south, I can keep my troops in France and just send enemy armies back until they drop it ;)

At least that will be my strategy !

Aside from Bohemia (At least, I think that's Bohemia. :eek:), this should be an easy war. Just beat up some minors for a while until you can get a WP.

Looks like an interesting war. I'm assuming that mass of red to the right is Bohemia?

Nope, not only there is bohemia all right but it's also several countries this map is still pretty accurate to see which countries are at war with me

Aside from Bohemia (At least, I think that's Bohemia. :eek:), this should be an easy war. Just beat up some minors for a while until you can get a WP.

There is indeed Bohemia, but my beggest concern for now is that until my infamy is low enough, any country can join this war against me... :(

May 1463 - December 1465 : the first coalition

With this update, the musical post has been updated also

Welcome back students.

As I told you last time, we will now work on the first coalition European countries built against the United Kingdoms.

Some of you might already know it. During this war, the number of enemies for the two Kingdoms was really impressive. Let's take a look at it :

Dates : (At war against the UKs - peacy treaty)

- Alsace (May 1463 - September 1465)
- Wurzburg (May 1463 - September 1465)
- Guyenne (May 1463 - January 1464)
- Avignon (May - November 1463)
- Trier (May 1463 - September 1465)
- Baden (May 1463 - September 1465)
- Bohemia (May 1463 - April 1464)
- Wurttemberg (May 1463 - September 1465)
- Hainaut (May 1463 - September 1464)
- Lorraine (December 1463 - January 1465)
- The Palatinate (February 1464 - December 1465)
- Lithuania (February 1464 - May 1465)
- Teutonic Order (February 1464 - September 1465)
- Austria (February 1464 - December 1465)

In red, the states that have been a part of the coalition. In blue, the UKs.

Any real study will show you that the danger was not that any of this state was too strong - none of them were. The number of enemies was the danger.

However, they were really divided. And more importantly they had not the same ambitions, nor the same tactics, nor the same interests in this war. They were all here because they wanted to make Edward IV to pay for his last war without exactly knowing how to do it.

Those divisions are the reasons why Edward will once more win the war.

On the paper, the United Kingdoms were in a real bad situation in may 1463. The huge armies had suffer huge losses. To have its 65 units at full power to fight, Edward IV Lancaster lacked 48,000 men at the start of the war !

The French and English troops were then incapable of winning this war on all fronts. Once this conclusion, Edward organize a war plan in three steps. First, defeating the enemies inside of France (Avignon and Guyenne). Secondly defeating the weak states in the low countries (Trier and Hainaut). Then bringing the fight inside the Holy Roman Empire to defeat Bohemia and its allies.

1) The fights in southern France

Of course the first part of this plan was not the harder. Guyenne and Avignon both bet on the fact that taken by the war in the Holy Romand Empire they could do some damage. They were quite incapable of that. Especially when half the UKs troops were dettached to fight them. This gave the UKs 15,000 men against the 7,000 men for both Guyenne and Avignon. Their armies were defeated in July 1463. In November, Avignon asked for a white peace, followed by Guyenne in January 1464. It was time to fight back in the North.

The war situation in January 1464

2) The fights in northern France

This second step as much more difficult. Two tasks were ahead. 1) to free most of the French territories occupied by HRE members. 2) to send troops in Trier and Hainaut while keeping the HRE troops out of France.

The plan was to send two army groups : one from Ile de France and Normandy, one from Bourgogne and Savoie.

In February, the armies moved forward.

In April 1464, after several defeats against the UKs armies and unable to fight anymore because of numerous revolts and riots in Bohemia, the Empire asked for peace. Edward IV accepted it. This was a real event for the coalition : without Bohemia, it was one of the strongest allied that just left the war !

At last, in August 1464, Edward's plan gave some results, with most of the coalition troops now stuck in Metz, Alsace and Lorraine.

In September 1464, Hainaut was the first state CRUSHED by the UKs' armies.

Peace treaty with Hainaut

3) The war in the Holy Roman Empire

It was now time for Edward IV to send the core of his armies in the HRE. As you can imagine, those fights were much more harder than before, as this time he was fighting on the very road armies from Austria, Lithuania and the Teutonic order used to enter in France ! Almost all the coalition's armies were there.

After months of fighting, the UK's armies were in the HRE.

France is almost entirely free

In January 1465, it was Lorraine's time to abandon and sign a terrible peace treaty

In May, after sending thousands of men against France, Lithuania asked Edward for a white peace. They were clearly not able to defeat him so they left the coalition.

Next, in september, the Teutonic Order also dropped it after losing a 9,000 men army, while Trier had no other choice than accepting huge losses and Alsace paid a huge tribute (450 gold coins)

Peace treaty with Trier

Then, at last, on December 30th, the Palatinate paid a small tribute (100 gold coins) and signed peace for both Autria and themselves.

On december 31st [true !!! and not my doing !!!], peace was back in Europe. the UKs were in a very bad shape, with lots of deaths [but no depts any more :cool: ].

Europe just lived during those two years the most deadliest war of its history. Half the European states were at war during this period. Today, we estimate that at least 200,000 men died during the fights or because of their injuries.

Europe was traumatised by this event, especially since all those deaths happened without any consequences beside death and destructions ! Hate was still there. And the east of the HRE and all the north east of France was to be rebuild after all those destructions.

The mood of Europe was perfectly captured by Beethoven, several centuries later, in his third Symphony

Europe in december 1465

You got 1,025 ducats from this war. :eek:

200,000?! wow talk bout war casualties xD

Yeah :) an estimation I made : I estimate I lost that number of people, half of them died in battle or from their wounds, and the coalition had around the same number of dead :)

well done, but it won't be the last coalition that you face

I'm afraid of so... :)

Nice job. At least Europe isn't covered in blobs. That's probably partly your fault. ;)

Of this I might say i4m proud of ;)

1466 - 1473 : the peacefull years​

Welcome back students.

Today, we will study the years that succeeded the coalition war.

All across the United Kingdoms, events have been really quite by those years. The only real event on a diplomatic basis was the short war of February 1469, when Edward IV used the excommunication of Henry IV de Penthièvre to annex Guyenne in the French Kingdom.

Those years were most than needed by both the French and English population. A real peace, that last for years, gave them the opportunity to really rebuild from the last war and the Hundred years war.

[Then the teachers goes for around 45 minutes on the peacefull years in the United Kingdoms and what it means for the populations at peace ; Let's cut this part as it's not what you are more interested by ;) ]

However, this peace was promised to be broken when the French Parliament gave the mission to Henry IV to conquer Alsace, a rightfull French territory.

This would be by Charles I Lancaster, as Henry died in June 1473

Charles Ist Lancaster

In september 1473, Charles gave the order to send the troops in Alsace. Worried by the United Kingdoms policies with the independant States located in parts claimed by France, a huge number of HRE members were protecting them. And so this is how the war of the second coalition started.

The second coalition in September 1473​

Another coalition already?

Nice Update. Once France cores you should basically be unstoppable with Frances manpower and Britain's Naval limits.

Well for now, I'm still putting too much money in my land army so my navy is not as strong as it should but in time this will totally be right ;)

Another coalition already?

Not the same kind. I'm callingit that because they all decided to declare war only because I attacked Alsace without an alliance. It's not because of my infamy this time !

September 1473 - October 1474 : the second coalition​

When the war started, it was clear for the United Kingdoms leaders that Europe was really worried to see France and England united. European leaders clearly wanted to break this union, or at least block the UKs in their wish to complete the French borders.

This time, the coalition was composed of :

- The Hansa (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Trier (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Swizerland (September 1473 - March 1474)
- The Palatinate (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Hesse (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Austria (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Bohemia (September 1473 - March 1474)
- Teutonic Order (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Alsace (September 1473 - October 1473) ANNEXED
- Baden (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Bavaria (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Wurzburg (September 1473 - October 1474)
- Wurttemberg (September 1473 - May 1474)

However, this war was promised on the paper to be easier for the UKs. Most of the countries in the coalition had to send troops from far away to be able to participate in the fights, while the UKs armies were stronger than ever.

The English and French Kingdoms were able to send at the start of the war 110,000 men to fight ! And to that number we must had the 100,000 men in reserve [Manpower].

In the coalition, the strongest country (Bohemia) was barely able to send 50,000 men, plus Austria's 30,000. Add to that the distance and the fact that most battles have been fought in French territories, and you understand that on the paper, the UKs had everything to win this war.

Charles Ist's plan was simpler than the one Edward IV had to organize. He gave himself 4 month to take Alsace and annex it. After that, he would keep the UKs' armies inside French borders to send back any army of invasion that could come to threat him while they were still divided.

This plan was the proof that Charles Ist was overly cautious (and he would keep being that way until the end of his rule by the way). It took his troops less than 40 days to defeat and annex Alsace. In mid October, he was able to send troops to defeat close enemies even before Bohemians and Austrians troops could reach the French borders !

Then, your obvious questions would be what happened. After those events, your questions must be about why this war had such a bad reputation in the UKs and still have it if things were that good at the start of the war ?

You must take in consideration the "over cautious" way Charles Ist had. After his quick victory, he thought he had a great opportunity to not take risks. The strategic idea was that if several close neighbourgs were beaten early enough, it would be totally impossible for Austria and Bohemia to be able to win a single victory. The problem was that his initial plan would have kept his troops inside France. Sending them inside the HRE gave the opportunity for the coalition to beat his armies one by one, and cutting them from retreat roads. In three month (from December 1473 to February 1474), the UKs lost 50,000 men (60 units) !

Of course, Charles's plan to invade close neighbourgs was not a total disaster. In March 1474, he was able to sign a first peace treaty with Switzerland. Also, the advanced troops were able to beat Bohemia (with 30,000 men killed, wounded or captured in early march in five different battles, Bohemia was without strong enough armies to continue the fight, so they asked for peace also in March). In May 1474, Wurttemberg was under UKs control, and signed a white peace (they were broke, without any money left). In the same month Trier, after losing lots of men also signed peace.

So Charles strategy was working. The problem was that he thought that with this strategy, the fights would be focused in the HRE. And he certainly didn't excpect that so much troops would be encircled, then destroyed...

In June 1474, Austria won several battles in the Alps, and were able to invade France through Savoie, when in the north, Paris was threatened. Charles had only one last idea to save the day : target the leader of the coalition.

In June 1474, it seems nothing can stop the coalition's armies in France

The leader of the coalition was The Hansa. Their economic power gave them through the years so much prestige and economical stregnth that the coalition decided they were the politically strongest. Those are the reasons why they gave them leadership. This was the perfect opportunity for Charles...

He sent 25,000 mercenaries in Lübeck. By September 1474, this province was taken. Hovever, the Hansa was still refusing to pay anything, conscious that their allies were winning. In the same time, Charles saw that Paris was about to fall ! This could not be permitted by a UKs' King. So he settled with Friedriech Kullinghusen, the leader of the Hansa, for a white peace in october.

This decision has been terrible for the Hansa. When the coalition was about to win a clearly victory against the United Kingdoms, they decided to sign peace to preserve their immediate security, when it was obvious other members of the coalition would have liberated them before the end.

This peace treaty, signed during the worst defeat of those times for the UKs and the Kingdom of England, also gave to the Lancasters a new understanding of Europe's politics. It was true that the European leaders were really afraid of the union created between France and England. They were ready to make war to destroy it, whatever the costs. However, they still were focused on their interests, and more importantly, too much divised to be able to stay allied until the end to defeat the UKs. And this was a lesson Charles never forget and teached to his son.

The United Kingdoms in October 1474

50,000 troops died in three months?!? :eek:

1474 - 1479 : The United Kingdoms leave the medieval era

To conclude this chapter on the United Kingdoms history, we will talk briefly about the following years after the war.

Some consider that the second coalition war was the event that made the United Kingdoms leave the medieval age. Their opinion is built on several ideas. The first one was that the warfare during this war was closer to the Renaissance period than from the medieval age. I disagree on that, as during this war, we still did not see the use of black powder, nor the characteristical battle manoeuvres that Europe saw in the XVIth century.

Now, let's be realistic here. What sent the United Kingdoms in the Renaissance was the huge accomplishment of discovering America. We know today that the Vikings already went on some parts of the continent, but it seems they thought they were still in far western parts of European isles. The only thing they noticed was the fact that people living there were not Christians like in Island.

That's why August 2nd, 1479 is that important. This is day day, in my opinion, when the United Kindoms entered into the Renaissance for real.

This conclude this chapter on the medieval history of the UKs from 1454 to 1479. You'll get your first test on this period next week, don't forget to ... [this is not of our concern anymore ;)]

The great discoverer Guy Benbow discovered America in August 1479

In 1477, Daniel Braddock discovered the Green Cap (or cap Vert as the French Kingdom called it).
In 1479, over 300 Frenchmen and Englishmen lived there, in the most southern territory where there were Europeans living !​

Last edited:
50,000 troops died in three months?!? :eek:

In four different battles to be exact ;)

When I understand that this was coming, I couldn't believe how bad I had been on this :D I was really lucky that the leader was not Bohemia or Austria !!! Or else I would have been totally crushed !!!

In four different battles to be exact ;)

When I understand that this was coming, I couldn't believe how bad I had been on this :D I was really lucky that the leader was not Bohemia or Austria !!! Or else I would have been totally crushed !!!

Why did the Hanseatic League become leader anyways? Does anyone know what determines who becomes war leader?