• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Count Lake

Game Over Man!
59 Badges
Jul 12, 2007
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
U018.jpg

Awesome AARquitania:Reborn! Alternate History with DVIP

Greetings to all the good gentlefolk of the Paradox AAR forums. I come before you today to announce the pre-launch of my new project involving a campaign to unite the Occitan peoples of Europe into a mighty state. My first attempt at this sort of game (link in the signature) was sadly derailed after my laptop and all the game data were stolen about a year and a half ago.

My heart and soul had gone into that project and to tell you guys the truth it nearly broke me to have it snatched away. My feeble attempts at getting another writing project underway feel by the wayside as school and other life matters interfered. Today though, I am happy to claim myself commitment free for most of the summer (got a few graduate classes but who studies these days anyway?). My plan then is to play through a couple decades of a Duchy of Toulouse 1066 start and then pick up the AAR itself when my first heir takes over the reigns.

I take this course of action for a couple reasons. First, all of us have played enough to know that some world events are almost always going to happen. Look over there! Germany's collapsing with realm duress! Byzantium's getting schooled! Shock! By letting the game run a few dozen years it sets up a bit more of an interesting dynamic: some states will be right were you would expect them to be while others are in unique and interesting positions. Second, the first few years of any 1066 start are pretty boring except in a few cases. Gain money, buy forestry, gain more money, buy courthouse, raise taxes on merchants, gain money, buy royal post, raise taxes on merchants and nobles! I would prefer to skip that part to spare you my enthralling commentary on the subject.

The structure of this AAR will be similar to what you saw in my other attempt, tracking each of the major events through pop-ups, council meetings with dialog once in a while, wars with detailed tactical maps (lots of arrows etc.). I really liked putting the effort into making Aarquitania a success and you can be assured that I will try my best to uphold that pedigree.

I also want to take this opportunity to say that even with my previous experience with playing this realm before, I still don't know that much about the country itself. I know that Occitans and French are quite different in style, language culture etc. but don't expect too much of that being explained in my AAR. If anyone that is an expert on the subject wants to post here or pm me, I would be more than happy to try and include their advice!

With that said, I wish to thank everyone once again for supporting my previous AAR and ask that they return for another go at constructing a kingdom to stand the test of time!​

Last edited:
Yay! Great to have you back, let's hope that this gets to run all the way to 1453.

As I said in the other thread; it's awesome that you're back in the AAR forums. I don't even need to say that "I hope this will be as good as your first AAR", when I know it will be.

Looking forward to your revived AAR!

This is so exciting. Your other one was a fun read. I look forward to more. It reminds me of the one I'm doing, I probably know about as much as you know about Occitans so I feel your pain. :eek:o

Subscribed. :)

Hello and thank you to everyone who dropped by to leave a comment! I really hopr that this project meets or exceeds your expectations, it really makes me more commited to know that there are people out there interested.

First update on the game should be ready by the middle of the week! Thanks again and have a pleasant time till we meet once more.

One thing I hope you change, Count Lake: This time, don't ally with a worthless Welsh King of Brittany. That was hilariously bad, and strangely enough coincided neatly with when your original files were stolen.

So, unless the Welsh Breton King is awesome, it'd probably be a bad omen to ally with him again.

But that's only if there IS a Welsh Breton king this time. :D

Hello again everyone! Just dropping by to let you know that the first update will soon see the light of day. My expectations for posting the update today were foiled a bit with my starting character continuing to live despite being 69 (!) and severly injured from a boar hunt. However, I sense the time is near for his old heart to stop beating is near and that the AAR can begin in earnest.

It's a pretty crazy world that you will be given a window into, a fair bit more chaotic than what we saw in my last attempt here. I certainly do not see this game going in the same direction as before and am very excited to share everything very soon. I will attempt to have the background update (and maps!) up tomorrow.

Best regards and thank you for being patient with me:D

Hello again everyone! Just dropping by to let you know that the first update will soon see the light of day. My expectations for posting the update today were foiled a bit with my starting character continuing to live despite being 69 (!) and severly injured from a boar hunt. However, I sense the time is near for his old heart to stop beating is near and that the AAR can begin in earnest.

It's a pretty crazy world that you will be given a window into, a fair bit more chaotic than what we saw in my last attempt here. I certainly do not see this game going in the same direction as before and am very excited to share everything very soon. I will attempt to have the background update (and maps!) up tomorrow.

Ahaha, that's nothing; I've seen Robert Guiscard live to the age of 72 and outlive all his children and one of his grandchildren.

In any case, hurrah the AAR will be crazy! That's always a good thing!

Excellent! I'm secretly hoping he'll live to be 80 something - that would certainly spice things up right from the start!

Huzzah! Duke Guilhem is dead! The AAR can now start in earnest as Felip takes the reigns of the Duchy of Toulouse to guide it to glory and beyond!

The old bat finally died in his sleep and opened up a whole new can of worms for the new duke. Things are going to be pretty interesting over the next couple updates so I wanted to give everyone a preview with my Gimp 2.6 produced map of Spain. The year is 1109 and things are not at all normal in Spain.

SpainMorroco.png

Castille has gone insane in its expansion and stands as the preeminent power inthe Iberian penninsula. Under the leadership of Juan Jimenez, the Kingdom of Castille hopes to complete its conquest and become a world power.

The Kingdom of Aragon has held onto a tenuous existence over the past half century andhas only recently been successful in establishing themselves as a moderate power in northern Spain.

Muslim power in the Iberian region has declined significantly and only scattered remnants of the once powerful Taifas exist. They are easy prey for Castille whenever war happens to be declared.

North Africa has seen invasion from both the Kingdom of Castille and Duchy of Provence, each of which has made significant gains with inland territory wrested from Muslims that normally rule that region.​

Looking forward to this one!

Alright! Things are looking good for a basic history update tonight as all I need to do is clip and crop some 50 screenshots. I noticed the new warning that there is a maximum of twenty per post so I will divide it up as best I can. See everyone later in the evening!

I don't like the size of Castille. Too much like real life for me. Toulouse should take it down.

Anyways, keep up the good work, Count Lake! How long did Duke Gulheim last? And is Felip his son or grandson (or even great grandson)?