• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lighthearter

The Ship's Magician
41 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
screensave0.png

Blue - The Argonaut Federation
Green - The West-Europe Company(us)
Yellow - The Crusaders of God
Red - The Valkyrie Bloc

Hello! I am Lighthearter, inventor of The War Room AARing. This is the first trial run of the idea, so I'm counting on you to make it work. Now, here's the gist of it:

I am beginning a new kind of AAR - similar to and inspired by TRP's Realpolitik, but revolving around military. It's called the War Room. I've created a Battle Scenario map of Europe and the surrounding seas and released four fictional geopolitical super-states(The Argonaut Federation, the Valkyrie Communist Bloc, the Crusaders of God and the West-Europe Company) upon it. Basically every player that comes in and joins decides whether to be a land or naval leader and is issued a command, either a fleet or a theater on land. These commanders are given objectives to capture by the Head of State(me) and several courses of action to fulfill these with. Also there are five people called the "Joint Chiefs" who are elected by the officer corps. The Head of the Army/Navy/Air Force, the Director of Research and the Chief of Staff.

Current Joint Chiefs:
Air Force: Vaximillian
Navy: arya126
Army: KaiserMuffin
Chief of Staff: TheRealKestrel
Research: tuore

Rules of Engagement:

- I as host and Head of State reserve the right to veto any action any player wishes to undertake: To consolidate the stability of the AAR, to stop interference with the normal functioning of the thread or simply because I feel like it. Don't mess with The Man.

- Rule #1 of The War Room: The War must be won. There will be no talk of peace deals or releasing puppet regimes, and winning the War must always come first.

- You tactics in the field must always be from a selection of courses of action presented by the Head of State, unless you are issued Operational Freedom. As you win battles and campaigns I will trust your judgment more and more, in the manner of a real Head of State.

- Any member is free to request a command wither in general or specifically. The final decision on commands, however, is up to the Head of State and the Joint Chiefs. A member can only be in command of one force/theater at a time, although he is free to request a transfer whenever he sees fit, though this may be denied.

- I am going to ask everyone to use their own nicknames at all times when playing. This is to avoid confusion.

- Tactical/strategic debate is encouraged, but talk swiftly - the War waits on no man, and emergencies arise at the most inopportune times . . . .

- As the War progresses, players will Rank Up in the fighting, gaining new capabilities that they can use to win the war.

- Any Commander may run for any of the Joint Chiefs positions.

- The host (Lighthearter) retains full rights to ban any player that has violated these rules. Spamming, using a complaint generator, inciting hate, being obtrusive for the normal functioning of this thread or getting on my nerves will be banned from the War indefinitely.

- Please refrain from PMing me for every War Room-related issue. Alternatives are using the profile visitor comments, or simple commenting in the thread.

- By voting in any Strategic Meeting, Requesting a Command or performing any other form of interaction with this AAR, you declare that you have read and understood these rules to the letter. I don't want to be a jerk guys, so keep it clean!

There's our rules. Now here's game-specific stats:

Nukes - The use thereof shall require a 2/3s majority vote from the officer corps, but research shall occur. It should be assumed that the other side is researching them as well.

Ranking up - Every player starts out at Level One and they gain ranks from fighting and from impressing me in the thread. They can acquire one power per rank, and these powers can be used at the cost of one Action Point. You possess one of those per level as well. Action Points regenerate at a rate of 1 per game week. Currently Level Ten is the maximum, but I may up that bar if many Commanders hit it.

Powers:

(Each individual power may only be used once per session)

Commandos - Starting power. Can issue a commando raid that might damage an enemy facility. Cost to use 1 point.

Scavenger(Land/Air) -

I: Passive chance of generating one random brigade for one of your divisions per session.
II: Can choose to generate a random brigade for your own theater. Cost to use 2 points.
III: Can choose to generate a specific brigade for your force and a random one. Cost to use 3 points.​

Heroic Repair(Sea) -

I: Passive chance of instantly repairing one light ship.
II: Can choose to instantly repair one ship. Cost to use 2 points.
III: Can choose to instantly repair two ships. Cost to use 3 points.​
The above power cannot be used unless your fleet is in a port, with the exception of version III.

Strategic Insight -

I: Passive chance to gain a detailed overview of an enemy force.
II: Can choose to gain a detailed overview of an enemy force. Cost to use 2 points.
III: Can choose to gain a detailed overview of an enemy force and see all their nearby forces. Cost to use 3 points.​

Trickster -

I: Passive chance that one enemy unit may become locked down for an indefinite period to dig in, fearing you will attack them.
II: You may choose one enemy unit to suffer the above effect. Cost to use 2 points.
III: You may choose two enemy units to suffer the above effects with a lower chance per week to recover. Cost to use 3 points.​

(Land)War of Maneuver(requires Level Five) -

May spend points to take entire army and move up to 2 squares deep into enemy territory, forming up with full supplies and fuel. Cost to use 5 points. May spend 10 points to double range.​

(Sea)Marine Detachment(requires Level Five) -

May spend points to fabricate two Marine divisions on a coastal province within your theater. Cost to use 5 points. May spend 10 points to deploy three divisions with brigades. Specifically one artillery, one anti-tank and one engineer.​

Officer Corps:

Admirals:
arya126 - Head of the Navy
Level One
Abilities: Commandos, Heroic Repair I
hobopuppy
Level One
Abilities: Commandos, Heroic Repair

Generals:
KaiserMuffin - Head of the Army
Level One
Abilities: Commandos, Strategic Insight I
TheRealKestrel - Chief of Staff
Level One
Abilities: Commandos
humancalculator - Awaiting assignment
Level One
Abilities: Commandos, Trickster I
EvanC21
Level One
Vaximillian - Head of the Air Force
Level One
Ivir Baggins
Level One
Hastatii
Level One
Abilities: Commandos, Scavenger

Let there be War! Enlist today!

- Lighthearter

Last edited:
I welcome all admirals to enlist today! the first step to a strong navy is a strong leadership with a will of steel! after all everyone knows we need steel to build a ship right?

Are marines under the navy's control or the army's? What about naval bombers? Who is in command of joint operations like amphibious landings or an air-land offensive?

Are marines under the navy's control or the army's? What about naval bombers? Who is in command of joint operations like amphibious landings or an air-land offensive?

Marines are under either's control, depending on the circumstances. Generally, however, the Army takes command and amphibious ops are tenuous things that require intense cooperation between 2 commanders. Aircraft are subordinated on the tactical level to a commander, so Naval Bombers may help a General clear the alps of Argonaut tanks and Strategic bombers may follow your orders and knock out Valkyrie ships in the Denmark Strait.:D

- Lighthearter

sounds good, but is it all out free for all war? Or do we have a build up/diplomacy sort of period? Cause i was thinking we could use the crusaders of god to do some crusading for us to keep everyone busy while we take rome and berlin.

sounds good, but is it all out free for all war? Or do we have a build up/diplomacy sort of period? Cause i was thinking we could use the crusaders of god to do some crusading for us to keep everyone busy while we take rome and berlin.

Sorry - the War Room is all-out total war. Complete and utter free-for-all.

-Lighthearter

So when do operations commence? Also when do we get a general idea of what we start with?

Hmmm....i'm interested.

I will probably request an Army command.

Can you give us a list of the fronts/commands for both armies and navies?

I'll get the units in soon;)

I'll leave things pretty much alone for a bit, until we've got a respectable number of commanders. Then it's strategic review time:D

And I don't know the fronts myself. I'm sure you'll be assigned to the Continent though;)

- Lighthearter

depending on the number of admirals that show up and the fleets disposition, i may change this. But currently i suggest a north sea naval theater, eastern and western MED, and the atlantic. i will be overseer of the strategic level of navy planning, and personally control the atlantic since it will be quite boring for an admiral that has no other duties.

i also have air and land theatres in mind, but will leave that to their respective chiefs.

EDIT:maybe balitic as a theater too. depends on how many ships we have. dont want to overstretch forces after all.

depending on the number of admirals that show up and the fleets disposition, i may change this. But currently i suggest a north sea naval theater, eastern and western MED, and the atlantic. i will be overseer of the strategic level of navy planning, and personally control the atlantic since it will be quite boring for an admiral that has no other duties.

i also have air and land theatres in mind, but will leave that to their respective chiefs.

EDIT:maybe balitic as a theater too. depends on how many ships we have. dont want to overstretch forces after all.

ummm . . . I don't know how to put this but there AREN'T naval theaters. That all comes on a fleet-by-fleet basis:eek:o

- Lighthearter

As chief of the general staff, I presume that I have 2 major responsibilities.

1) advising the commander-in-chief (Lighthearter) on where to position the various forces.

2) making recommendations to the Minister of Research (tuore) and the Minister of Production (Lighthearter?) about what to research and what to build.

Shall I create seperate pages for the discussion of these issues? Will they be public and available for our military leaders to see?

Yeah, put me down for an army command.

(This is just to make it official) :)

Greetings colleagues, and congratulation to your appointments!

As the new Chief of Air Force, I claim infinite determination of our glorious pilots towards the total victory against the enemy! Shall we be blessed.

I await my orders.

As the Chief of Research, I will ensure that our nation's technologies are up-to-date. We must defeat our enemies with superior strategies and equipment.

Oh no theaters? ok.

Also TheRealKestrel i believe you are responsible for recieving our production requests on what we want built, and make them fit to our industry's size. so if i ask you for 7 carriers, then you decide if we can spare enough for them. If not make it 4. just as an example.
So where is the kaiser? He is the one with the first enlisting officer and he isnt even in the room yet!

OK - here's how the divisions are gonna work: I'm going to give all four nations a single two-division army in each border territory they possess. These will be comprised solely of INF. Each nation will also have in a pool 2 HQs, 6 ARM, and 4 MAR that it needs to deploy in its territory. That is up to the Joint Chiefs.

Navy: All nations will have a transport fleet(9), a wolfpack(6), a CVBG(2 CV, 3 CA, 3 CL, 2 DD) and an SAG (3 BB, 1 BC, 2 CA, 2 CL, 4 DD). They will also have 2 each of BB, CV, BC, CVL, and CA and 4 each of DD, CL and SS in a pool. I'll place the starting battle groups myself, but the Joint Chiefs must place the rest.

Air: Every nation starts with four air squadrons: (2XCAS,2XFIG)(3XINT)(2XNAV,1XFIG)(2XSTRAT,2XTAC). These units will be divided up and placed according to the desires of the Joint Chiefs.

- Lighthearter

The West-Europe company, mentioned right after the map.

Oops, should be more careful.

According to the map, we don't have enough operational freedom for our valiant pilots. In other words, I state that the current airbase capacity is insufficient for major operations. It means we'd need more airbases in proximity to our foes. I'd suggest to begin production of 8x4 airbases, unless Mister Commander-in-Chief has other views on the situation. I'd also request production of 6xTAC and 6xFIG to strengthen our glorious Air Forces even more.

I'd also regroup and rebase our Air Forces in the following way:

1xCAS+2xTAC -> Metz
1xCAS+1xFIG -> Marseilles
3xINT -> Metz
2xSTR+1xFIG -> Lille
2xNAV+1xFIG -> Amsterdam

May we be blessed. Together we shall prevail.

Last edited:
I want to propose a focus on the valkyrie bloc. Our air force will be supported along the coast by our carriers, which will focus in the northsea. the army can swing down from the baltic/denmark with their army and create an encirclement. But i wish to have control of the 4 marines and their placement so as to commence on deception operations in scandinavia supported by NAVs.

The navs will clear and scout the north sea and baltic for ships before we send in our intial CVBG supported by the Grand fleet(2 CV, 1 BB, 2 CA, 3 CL, 2 DD) to clear the area around oslo. The transports will carry the marines to shore and a landing will commence. The super wolfpack will be reinforced by the 4 new subs and be sent to copenhagen to delay any baltic ships that come out to face us.

The other fleet composed of 1BB, 2BC, 2CVL, 2DD, 1CL. It will be stationed in the MED, but will not seek out fleets until it either recieves a commander, sees a fleet, or a landing is made on our beaches near it.

I respectfully request that we recive a 6x4 run of CL, 4x3 run of DD, 3x1 of carriers, and 2x3 of subs. also i request an additional 5 marines for further operations that will be used in conjunction with the army. if there is spare room, 2x2 of NAVs as well.